RAD Senior Grade solo variation

hfbrew

I had one of the thick blue leotards with the pleated skirts too, and a wide stretchy headband that my mum used to grip over my ears! Have a pic of that some where too, would post them if I knew how!

I know I did primary to grade 3 RAD then the school switched to ISTD  so I did a couple of those grades in the middle. Then I changed schools and went back to RAD. At the new school the results were pinned on the board in the corridor much to everyone's excitement/agony!! I clearly remember getting a Pass+ for one exam and was really embarrassed, but I don't think it was ballet. 

The Breton dance was the one with the apron attached to the front of the character skirt, Spooky, which is what I clearly remember being told to 'peep' round! And I have just checked the grade 4 dances - they were the Russian dance or the Czech polka. Neither of those ring any bells at all, I have clearly expunged the grade 4 dance from my memory completely, although I do remember a couple of the enchainements.

FYI, primary was a demi-character dance choreographed by the teacher, grade 1 was the birdcage polka or a demi-character dance choreographed by the teacher, grade 2 was the Breton dance or the Hungarian branch dance (definitely only ever did the Breton dance at my studio), grade 3 was the tarantella or the Polish Krakowiak (our teacher chose which of those we would do) and grade 4 was as above, the Russian dance or Czech polka.

I remember how thick the nylon in the leotards was but we danced in an unheated hall so most of the time it didn't matter. I had wanted to dance since I was three but my mother wouldn't let me learn. It was our family doctor who finally convinced her to allow it as I was forever twisting my ankle. He said it would strengthen them. I was nearly ten by this time. I thought I'd died and gone to paradise. I was supposed to take my Grade One exam in March 1969. On the day of the exam I went down with the flu that was laying waste to the country at that time (Hong Kong?). I was utterly heartbroken. My ballet teacher put me up with the rest of the class as she said that she had expected me to get honours. I didn't dance for much longer as in September 1969, I went to grammar school. The class time had changed and I was denied permission to leave school five minutes early to catch a bus that would have allowed me to get to class in time. That was the end of my ballet classes as a child. ;(

Edited by Fiz
  • Like 1

Wow some of you have fantastic memories.

Back in the 50's when I did the earlier grades the three dances which have stuck in my mind are I think it was called the Swedish dance ( I can still hear the music) it started with two sets of three petit jetes then I think two step hops and then three spring points!!

I've always thought of this dance as RAD syllabus work but every year we did a show in Woking and I may be remembering something the teacher set for one of these!! The other two were the sailors horn pipe and the tarantella both of which can remember most of maybe not all the steps!

In one of these regular Woking shows the teacher had devised this little ballet for cobwebs and spiders.

I think Ive only recently forgiven the teacher for not letting me be a cobweb ......because they had soft grey floaty dresses.

I was one of the three spiders(I should have felt pleased really) and guess what we had to wear black leotards and black tights.....which I'm very happy with now but HATED then!!

I was an obvious choice for a spider though.....tall and lanky...then!!

But remembering individual set exercises is much harder and I can't remember those so well. But it is amazing when you're chatting with friends what they remember clearly and you remember clearly .....sometimes the memory comes creeping back slowly once jogged though.

In those days I definitely wasn't an adage person though .....never had brilliant extensions and control etc.....definitely more at home with allegro then!!

These days it's .....if only...with both!!

• Like 3

Drs do still recommend ballet.  I know of 2 boys who were sent to ballet aged about 4 on the recommendation of their doctor to help with their motor skills.  One danced until the age of 11 and the other stopped age 9.  Both went onto play cricket at county level and one football at such a level that a national team wanted to take him on - but he chose university and is now a doctor himself (or nearly).  DD's friend with dyspraxia was also advised to do ballet to help her development.

• Like 3

Senior Grade solo variation - 3/4 time, 1 count=1 bar

1-2    Hold

3-4    Step to side on L, place R on cou-de-pied derriere. Arms lift to 3rd in opposition with palms up. Look to side hand.

1-2    Travelling across front, pose temps leve in 1st arabesque and balance with full turn to right with arms crossed in front of chest and looking slightly down to left

3-4    Repeat

5-7    Run to R upstage corner finishing with L foot in front in 5th en demi-pointe en croise, arms in open 4th with palms down, looking to audience

8       Hold

a       Turn to right on L

1-4    Repeat pose temps leve and balance twice, travelling towards centre stage

5-6    Turn twice to right in 5th en demi-pointe sur place R foot front, arms 3rd looking to right

7        Finish in 5th en demi-pointe en croise, arms demi-seconde

8        Lower, arms bras bas

1-2     Demi-contretemps, demi-seconde, pas de chat to 4th en face, arms 3rd

3 and Pas de chat to 5th, R arm to 5th, releve with epaulement looking to raised hand

a        Hold

4        Lower

5-8     Repeat to left

1-5     5 balances en arriere L R L R L facing L downstage corner travelling back towards R upstage corner, arms 3rd to 3rd using one arm after the other, side arm with palm up

6-7     Pose assemble soutenu to right en face with full ports de bras to 5th

8        Lower en ouverte arms bras bas

1-2     2 sissones fermees en avant in 3rd arabesque

3        Assemble over, arms through second to bras bas

4        Sissone ouverte into attitude ordinaire en croise

5-6     2 balances de cote R L, arms 4th to 4th, travelling back to L upstage corner

7-8     2 balances with turn to right, still travelling back, to finish en face arms 4th to 4th

1-2     Chasse, coupe, chasse, de cote, arms second, temps leve in 2nd arabesque en ouverte

3-4     Repeat to left side

5-6     Step R L with full turn to right travelling to right side, step onto R de cote, L leg in arabesque a terre, arms 4th crossed, head over L arm looking to audience

7-8     Repeat to L side

1 a     Pose turn en dedans, L leg at back of R knee, demi-plie in 5th R foot front en croise, arms to bras bas

2        Releve in 5th, arms demi-seconde

a 3 a  Pose to side on R en face and assemble soutenu finishing ouvert, full ports de bras to 5th, demi-plie, arms to bras bas

4 a     Releve devant, arms 3rd looking to right over front arm, demi-plie in 5th R foot front

5 a     Releve devant, R arm to 5th, head to audience, lunge on L in 4th en croise, arms 1st

6        Kneel on R knee leaning well forward, arms swept behind body

Please excuse the lack of accents.

What a lot of content! Added to the fact that candidates were expected to recognise the rhythms of polka, minuet, waltz, mazurka and gavotte along with all the theory questions and an unset enchainement with an extensive possible vocabulary of steps...I feel quite exhausted thinking about it!

And pirouettes from 5th in every grade from grade 3 onwards ;-)

Edited by Legseleven
  • Like 4

Thank you so much, Legseleven. That was a lot of typing as well as dance content! I recognise a great deal of it. I think my last teacher in Hertfordshire was teaching this to me and a friend in a few private lessons we had together.

• Like 1

Legseleven you are a star! Thank you so much for going through all that trouble.

I had got it right save for the pas de chat section. I knew I was missing a section but just couldn't remember it.

Thanks to you a small selection of adults will be dancing it in my class on Thursday as my pianist now has the music.

And I suspect quite a lot of us ballet.coers have tried it out too!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 5

Legseleven you are a star! Thank you so much for going through all that trouble.

I had got it right save for the pas de chat section. I knew I was missing a section but just couldn't remember it.

Thanks to you a small selection of adults will be dancing it in my class on Thursday as my pianist now has the music.

And I suspect quite a lot of us ballet.coers have tried it out too!

I wonder if your students,when they feel comfortable,would mind performing it to the music for us all to see? Maybe if not on You Tube but on here?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Dear all...

I studied RAD ballet many moons ago, and Im desperately trying to get hold of a recording of the Senior Grade music, for my own private use ... so I can basically keep doing the barre work at home.

I don't dance now, but it's my preferred choice of excercise alongside swimming and yoga.

Would any of you lovely ladies have a recording you can share, or for a small fee ask your pianists to record one for me.

I've been trying for about 3 years to get my hands on a copy. 

I'd be eternally grateful.

Huge thanks in advance

xx

I don't have a copy or recording but an immediately hum or sing this music, even 30+ years after I took Senior Grade ;) I will dig out the copy syllabus in case there is any mention of the title of the piece of music in there (I don't think so but have never specifically looked).

I may be wrong but when we had a discussion about the content of this variation on the forum, I think about 6 months ago, it runs in my mind that a teacher said she had the music and had been using it to teach the variation to adult students but had forgotten a section of the choreography. Will do a search to see if I have completely imagined this...

Goodness, I had forgotten how difficult the Senior Grade was! Pique turns and sissone en avant etc!   It was supposed to be taken between Grade 4 and Pre-Elementary wasn't it?  I do remember teaching it, but can't seem to remember the exercises.  I also remember the Birdcage Dance (This little bird is mine!) and the beepo Breton!  The Grade 3 tarantella dance was quite difficult.  Somehow it's all got mixed up, because the new Grade 4 and 5 seem really difficult and in reality they're probably much easier than those old, old grades!  I think what I find harder to teach is all this parallel and modern work that's been inserted - I'm a very traditional, rather old, ballet teacher. Don't like upsets!

Funnily enough I looked recently at some old videos from the 90s of my dances for Grade 2 and 3 in the school show and the vocabulary in them was much more advanced than what they do nowadays in the end of year performance.  Strange.

Edited by Dance*is*life
  • Like 1