Disappointing numbers of White Lodge students getting Upper School places

Sadielou

as a parent of a year 11 vocational student, I'm starting to get a little fed up with some of the comments on here. Gossip at the ballet school gates is just the same online it appears. 

Well done to ALL vocational year 11 students, not just WL, who have worked their socks off (literally sometimes! ) to get to this point. And best wishes for success in the future, on whatever path comes next. And for all students who are reading all these comments - do not give up. But keep on enjoying dancing. work hard. smile. Vocational school might be the route, it might not. But enjoy it all in the meantime.

Yes, I wish the process is sometimes more transparent - but recognise things change and this life will always be a difficult one.

and thank you all for your £1 per year taxpayer contribution to the MDS scheme (29 million taxpayers, £29 million MDS funding). It has helped make the whole Vocational school thing possible, and we are very grateful for the support it gives.

• Like 18

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that having this news with GCSE on the horizon does not seem very good. But I may be missing a trick here I don't understand why having these auditions for example in the Autumn would help as wouldn't students already need to be placed in new schools by September if not going through to Upper?

Would it be too late to hold these auditions at the very end of June so GCSE were out of the way?

I would hope anyway that the RBS pastoral care would be very very good in helping the students through this tough time......as one poster said its tough enough but not having mum and dad brother or sister etc close by on the actual day does make it harder for some I think.

Having trained at the Royal always leaves it's mark I can imagine other schools will only be too glad to have them.

And don't forget that quite a few dancers who didn't make it to Upper or get into the Company and go abroad to dance for a while do find their way back into the Company at a later date........or are very happy dancing elsewhere by then.

As in any boarding school it's particularly sad at this time anyway as students are having to say goodbye to their friends who they have been in a tightly knit community with for some years. it's not surprising that some get upset whether they have "good"or "bad"news at this time.

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

Having the auditions earlier would I guess take the results away from the GCSE period & give those who are told they don't have a place longer to explore options.

Having them after GCSEs in June wouldnt be viable. Schools are incredibly busy between June-july with showcases/shows etc, auditions take vital staff away from their teaching & other schools would have allocated their places by then

I think this thread has run its course now and is not particularly constructive. New members, please do continue to post in other threads. :-)

To those students who will graduate from WL in the summer; what an amazing achievement in itself, you deserve wholehearted congratulations, and very best of luck wherever the next step takes you.

To those from WL and elsewhere going to RBS Upper School in September, hugely well done; best of luck and really enjoy the next three years.

And to ALL the hardworking Year 11s - both in Vocational School, and aspiring dancers in mainstream school but fitting in ballet in the evenings - who have reached Finals, you all have my utmost admiration and respect for your work ethic, determination and dedication. Well done so far, and good luck. :-)

• Like 27

As a relative of a Y11 pupil, I think it is worth mentioning that I have never read this forum, until my 15 year old cousin told me about it and mentioned some of the comments, particularly the one about it being a 'weak' year. I know many of them were hurt by that comment!

These children are 15 and 16, many of them have had a tough week, reading speculative comments, that have no grounding in fact are not helpful and are actually hurtful, for all of the year, those who got places, this who didn't, those who want to follow academic routes and those with injuries whose futures, in terms of RBS, have not even been decided!

Also weak in terms of what? I have seen this group dance, they are not weak, furthermore, they are ALL hardworking, dedicated young people, who are a credit to the school and their families, and most importantly of all they are very nice, caring young people and some of the strongest young people I have had the pleasure to meet.

If any Y11s are reading this, be proud of those qualities, success comes and goes for all of us, the person you are will define your life.

As a conclusion, of the year group, a number (I believe around 5-6) had chosen an academic route and have already secured places in the academic schools they wanted, some wanted different dance schools and have had offers, one at least in their school of choice, the rest will, I am sure, get places in other schools, where I know they will thrive.

• Like 9

I would imagine that isn't a question she could necessarily answer in detail under the terms & conditions of this forum without identifying herself & by default her child.

My child isn't at WL, I was just thinking that we can't speculate on how or why or what the changes are, as we have no way of knowing.

• Like 1

Yes, I understand that but in what way have the goal posts been moved?

You'd have to ask him that!

I think what was meant by the comment was that maybe the new director is focussing on slightly different qualities than the previous one was and the current year 11's, having trained predominantly under the previous director have been trained with THAT director's goalposts in mind. As to what the new director is looking for, as taxi said, you'd have to ask him! The differences at this level are minute.

Edited by invisiblecircus
  • Like 1

As a conclusion, of the year group, a number (I believe around 5-6) had chosen an academic route and have already secured places in the academic schools they wanted, some wanted different dance schools and have had offers, one at least in their school of choice, the rest will, I am sure, get places in other schools, where I know they will thrive.

So 5 or 6 have chosen an academic route, 3 actually did get places in US, there can't be more than about 4 girls left to account for, some of whom wanted to furter their training elsewhere. That seems to mean that only only a very small number who wanted an upper school place, didn't get one. To graduate from Y11 at WL indicates that those students must be phenominally talented and will surely be snapped up by other top schools. I wish everyone the very best of luck!

Yes, sorry I didn't want to distinguish between genders as it is a small year group, so it may be easy to identify individuals. The 5/6 are boys and girls.

Also it is worth remembering that the year group have experienced huge changes, both with changes to the academic/pastoral staff and artistic staff. The girls missed out on Miss van Schoor in Y11 who was an incredible teacher and the boys had new teachers in both Y10 and Y11, also missing out on two great teachers. The new teachers are good, i am quite sure, but certainly lacked the experience of those that left, in particular the experience of Miss van Schoor.

If commenting on this thread, please can everyone be mindful that the year 11 students (and parents) are aware they are being discussed here and some are reading the thread. Of course everyone has the right to discuss the results but please be aware that you are commenting directly to the dancers involved. It may help the thread move in a better direction.

• Like 4

I think this thread has run its course now and is not particularly constructive. New members, please do continue to post in other threads. :-)

Spanner - this implies the thread should be locked, is this going to happen? As another year 11 parent I am unhappy with the nature of this discussion - I don't mind the school being discussed, or its policies examined, but please don't discuss the year group.  

• Like 3

I agree, I think the thread should be locked.

I had concerns right from the start when I thought I wouldn't like to be a parent or child returning home after a difficult day to see this & the title was changed.

But the way discussions have gone are too personal. Yes, there has been a lot of support & i hope there continues to be but its time to move on. One or two posts in particular are very unconstructive.

Will a moderator consider this please?

• Like 1

Yes, we have been considering locking it - I had hoped my summing up would bring the thread to a natural conclusion first, but sadly not. :-)

The thread has become unconstructive and overly personal though, so I will lock it now.

• Like 5