What are you reading?

Jan McNulty

I am on a book reading binge at the moment!  I am dreadful - I can't resist special offers of books - you know the kind - buy one get the second one at half-price, so I have shelves of new books I haven't managed to get round to reading.  I have recently discovered an excellent writer called Jojo Moyes.  I read The Girl You Left Behind by her and just couldn't put it down, so I went out and bought a second book of hers You Before Me and couldn't put that down either!  Before that I read a trilogy The Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer only to discover that it is not a trilogy, but is intended to be a series of 7 or 8 books, so now I am hooked I'll have to buy the next one which is due out soon!!!  I just finished Heartbreak Hotel, which is by the same author, Deborah Moggach, who wrote The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and was a fun read.  I liked Longbourn by Jo Baker tooIt's the downstairs story of the Bennet family from Pride and Prejudice - very clever!

By the way earlier in the thread someone mentioned The Little Princess, which was one of my favourite children's books too, but as far as children's books go I adore anything by Noel Streatfeild. I can always re-read them!  My favourite for those of you with dancing daughters (which I suppose is nearly everyone!) is Wintle's Wonders or as it's sometimes called Dancing Shoes.  It's a wonderful portrait of a stage school in the 1950's.  Great story!!

• Like 2

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Longbourn is excellent. I was off colour earlier this week and watched the recent TV version of Ballet Shoes which my daughter auditoned for but didn't get (Pauline, if anyone is interested!) and I really enjoyed it. I still love the book.

• Like 1

Her Sunne in Splendour is utterly magnificent!

That is one of my all-time favourite books. I didn't like Lionheart so much, mostly because I'm not so interested in the earlier Angevin period. But I really think Sharon Kay Penman is one of the best authors of historical novels (along with Susan Higginbotham and Brian Wainwright) if you're interested in the 14th and 15th centuries. I'm always grateful for authors who can make sense of the Wars of the Roses.

Thanks for the details, Fiz. I'll definitely have a look for the aspirin and cholera books. Ever since reading Carl Zimmer's Parasite Rex, I've found the topic of diseases, cures, and their effects on society to be fascinating. I read a wonderfully gory book about the black death years and years ago while I was recovering from pneumonia but I don't remember many details (just that there are worse things in life than pneumonia!).

Edited by Melody
  • Like 2

At the moment I'm reading Roy Hattersley's book on the Dukes of Devonshire, which has finally got me to read Amanda Foreman's "Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire."

The current (I think still) Duchess of Devonshire has also written a memoir which was very well received, I seem to remember.

Yes, it was very interesting, although she was rather guarded when talking about her more controversial sisters, understandably. She's been the Dowager Duchess since 2004 but is still quite active by the sound of things. She definitely has the Mitford gift for writing!

I've just downloaded The Glitter And The Gold by Consuelo, Duchess of Marlborough, onto my Kindle for light relief when the books on war and disease get to be too much. Having finished "To Marry An English Lord" a little while ago (a book about all the American heiresses who married into the British nobility and aristocracy at the turn of the 20th century), I was interested to hear this story from one of the heiresses herself.

Edited by Melody

• 2 weeks later...

Abebooks is a really good place to get books and quite a few work out cheaper than Amazon. 

Just finished reading Daria Klimentova's book and I'd recommend that, she comes across as very sweet and there's some really nice pictures both of her and ones that she's taken herself. 

• 2 weeks later...

An abysmal 32 but there were very few on this list that I would choose to look out and read!

I've just had to buy a simple guide to Windows 8 as I had to buy a new laptop unexpectedly on Sunday!  I thought it was going to be a doddle as I have had a windows 8 phone for the past year and am thrilled with it - unfortunately not the case!!!

58, but only because I've been an avid reader of Jane Austen and all the Bronte Sisters. Also most by Dickens, and of the modern ones I love Ian McEwan. And I wonder why there is nothing by Julian Barnes on that list??!

I recently finished "The Victorian House" by Judith Flanders. So fascinating, especially for non-British readers.

48 for me - though I confess many on that list were ones I studied, especially since it included French novels.  Not really my taste for some of the others - really disliked "The Wasp Factory", for example. 

Not sure if any of you avid readers out there have come across the "Books for Free" scheme, run by Healthy Planet Initiative I think.  Shops are popping up around the country.  Basically you can take 3 free books each visit,(or for a small donation if you wish as the shops are staffed by volunteers).  Its a scheme to try and stop so many books going into landfill.  I have found some lovely books, new and old in their shops and DD has found it very useful for extra reading without extra cost for her A levels.  The one we visit, now firmly established, is like a library with masses of books - fiction, nonfiction,childrens, classics, academic etc.  Its also a lovely new home for our books when we have a clear out

https://healthyplanet.org/get-involved/sustainable-community/books-for-free -to see if there is a shop near you

Edited by 2dancersmum
  • Like 1

48 for me - though I confess many on that list were ones I studied, especially since it included French novels.  Not really my taste for some of the others - really disliked "The Wasp Factory", for example. 

Not sure if any of you avid readers out there have come across the "Books for Free" scheme, run by Healthy Planet Initiative I think.  Shops are popping up around the country.  Basically you can take 3 free books each visit,(or for a small donation if you wish as the shops are staffed by volunteers).  Its a scheme to try and stop so many books going into landfill.  I have found some lovely books, new and old in their shops and DD has found it very useful for extra reading without extra cost for her A levels.  The one we visit, now firmly established, is like a library with masses of books - fiction, nonfiction,childrens, classics, academic etc.  Its also a lovely new home for our books when we have a clear out

https://healthyplanet.org/get-involved/sustainable-community/books-for-free -to see if there is a shop near you

What a fabulous idea!  I've just had a look at the map and there is a shop in Liverpool.  I must investigate!

• Like 1

Aha!  I did wonder if people were talking about the BBC list.

I was scrupulously honest.   Therefore I did not claim to have read the complete works of Shakespeare, although I have read the majority.  Likewise the Bible - went to Sunday school, but I know there are bits that were deemed unsuitable for children.

And although I have read other works by authors mentioned, I haven't read the specific book named, so I left those off as well.  Consequently, I scored 67. 

Mr Font complained that the list seemed skewed in favour of books more likely to be read by women, which to some extent I agree with.  Gone with the Wind is a marvellous book, but it is probably not first choice for men.  On the other hand, Hemmingway, with his hunting, shooting, fishing tales,  is more likely to appeal to the boys, but he isn't mentioned at all. 

And does anybody REALLY read James Joyce's Ulysses?  Full marks for endurance if you have, I am obviously a feeble intellectual lightweight. 

• Like 1

Ouch!  I remember a teacher using that word to describe my French translation efforts.

The scars still remain..... :(

Yes, I also struggled and failed to finish A Suitable Boy.  And don't get me started on the Salman Rushdie.  It holds a unique place in my book group for being the only book ever that none of us could finish. 

• Like 1

I only scored 34!! So obviously not reading the right books either.

Ive read all the ones on your list Taxi except Jurassic Park......although I have read a children's film version which I also used to teach English to a madly obsessed Lithuanian boy who only wanted to read books about Jurassic Park or Star Wars(have got the children's film version of that as well!)

Only 28 for me - although I read a lot (but not the right books by the look of it)!!

This is only the BBC's version of the "right" books Taxi4ballet.  I'm of the opinion that reading any book is good for the soul as long as it interests you and captures the imagination.

I read daily but have only read some of those books because I took A level English Lit!

• Like 3

64, scored mostly from the classics....

Interesting choice of books.  For example, Margaret Atwood makes it on to the list but another female writers of the similar age such as Isabella Allende gets no mention although her books were very popular..

And I did not see Nancy Mitford - wonder why?

• Like 1