What are you reading?

Jan McNulty

Can't seem to get interested in a book at the moment so am going through old Country Living mags and finally chucking them out. Did come across an interesting article on Yahoo regarding Louis VII and the contoversary around his death so I might look for a book in the library. Can anybody recommend a book about his short life?

Edited for spelling

Edited by porthesia

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Fiz, I think you'd be surprised by how much of an editor's job is taken up by not reading - so much so, in fact, that a lot of the reading has to be done outside of work (eg on the commute, at home) - though I'm sure this varies between jobs and types of publishing and of course there will be some editorial jobs where reading texts to develop them is a major part of the role. But there are a lot where it's not!

I'm reading Parade's End by Ford Madox Ford and finding it a bit of a dull struggle, to be honest. I'll finish it because I hate not finishing books, but I'll be glad when it's done and I can move on to something else!

Would you want to work for an hour and fifty minutes, cleaning filthy floors every day, for a pittance? That is what I do, Jane. It is hard and exhausting work. I still say I would change.

I am reading "Dr Crippen" by Nicholas Connell. It promised revelations but I've nearly finished it and I am still waiting!

"The Robber Bride", by Margaret Atwood - it was sitting in the library's shelf of "1001 books you must read before you die" (of which I have read very few, I'm ashamed to say - I doubt that will postpone the inevitable, though), so I thought I'd read it over Christmas.

Ahem.  I'm still reading this one :(

I have just read a dancer in war time by Gillian Lynn which although not advertised as a true story is all about Gillian Lynn's journey from childhood to adult in the ballet world. She mentions some very famous names in this book, a fascinating read. My ballet daughter is reading it at the moment so Lynn may actually be spelt as Linn.

• Like 1

I have just read a dancer in war time by Gillian Lynn which although not advertised as a true story is all about Gillian Lynn's journey from childhood to adult in the ballet world. She mentions some very famous names in this book, a fascinating read. My ballet daughter is reading it at the moment so Lynn may actually be spelt as Linn.

• Like 1

I remember reading Wild Swans many years ago such an inspirational book. Something I wouldn't have normally read but did need some light relief half way through. Considering I work in a library I don't read alot too many sweets in the sweet shop.

Some years ago when I was commuting to an from Bath I read a book called Heart Song by James Welch.  One evening I was coming towards the end and I found it so incredibly moving that I was sobbing out loud and had to stop reading it on the train as I became aware that people were starting to look at me with concern.!

Seriously, if it is still in print, it is worth a read.

• Like 3

Meadowblythe - nowt wrong with YA! Lots of it is really good. Lots of it's not good just like lots of adult fiction is good and lots is not good :)

I've just read this blog post about 10 seconds ago and it sums this up perfectly: http://bookriot.com/2013/02/19/stop-apologizing-for-what-you-like-to-read/#.USOigka3KQJ.twitter (actually it doesn't really but it is a nice post about not apologising for what you read)

I'm currently reading Dance of Shadows by Yelena Black (YA!) It's about a ballet student in New York - a bit too Black Swan for my taste but it's a page-turner, I guess.

Edited by JaneL

• 10 months later...

Back to the top and Spem In Alium.  Whilst on this morning's Links trawl I fear that I was seduced for overly long by some of the delights in this LA Times feature:

http://graphics.latimes.com/vignette-art-sound/

Go in via the button for Janet Cardiff's Tallis installation at lower left and explore at your leisure once it finishes!

I'm nearing the end of Life after Life by Kate Atkinson......a very good read. Ive read most of her books and short stories but I didn't finish the one called Emotionally Weird.

Before that I was trying to read The Red House by Mark Hadden. I've liked previous books Ive read by him but just couldn't get into this one for some reason so left it half finished and started Kate's book instead. Maybe I'll go back to it.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society for me.  

As the lendee said, a "nice" book in the best sense of the word - sound historical basis (it tells the story of occupied Guernsey), beautifully written and a little gentle romance along the way.

It occurs to me one reasons the printed book has a future alongside other media is that the e-book lacks the social aspects of reading - you cannot lend a copy of a book in the same way, and as a school librarian it is very common for a child to return a book accompanied by a friend, who then immediately takes the book out.  I hope so anyway - I continue to grapple with the licensing intricacies of e-books and still find that there are huge issues.

meadowblythe 

• Like 3

My current read is a bio of Fernando Alonso, one of the founders of the Cuban National Ballet and who passed away last autumn.

Very interesting - particularly how he and Alicia Alonso devised training methods.  I picture Carlos Acosta dancing and a lot of things in the book makes so much sense.