London Junior Ballet advice

coniger

My 7yr old (just 7)DS's ballet teacher has recommended that he audition for this in September.  I am totally new to this type of thing and wonder if anyone has any feedback on the audition process and London Junior ballet itself?  We don't live in London so if by some miracle he is offered a place it will be a huge undertaking for the whole family.

Thanks in advance

Coniger

My daughter is at london senior ballet but started in the Grads class which is the final class.  Some of the dancers in this class (up to age 18) have been there since starting at the beginning of juniors so I guess this is a good sign from the point of view of them showing commitment to the programme and enjoynig the training. I'm sure many leave along the way for other reasons or to take up vocational places at 11.  The juniors always look very happy trotting back and forth to their classes. The juniors parents tend to wait around in the canteen area at Arts Ed.  There are a handful of boys in juniors from what I have seen.  The standard of classical dance training is high and they have an external assessor at the end of the year (certainly in Grads, I assume they do in the juniors).  My daughter didn't audition for anything til she was 13 so I can't comment on junior auditions at ljb or elsewhere though I'm sure someone else can!

Travel to chiswick on the train on a Sunday morning can be a pain but this will depend on where you are coming from and to! There seems to be plenty of sunday parking earlier in the morning though I have never gone by car. 

Good luck to your son with his audition.

Southerndancemum, LJB is not associated with the RB at all.

Coniger, your son is still very young. I personally wouldn't feel the need to enroll him in associates class at his age, especially if it's difficult for you. By all means, he could audition for the experience and the fun of it, but there will be other chances later if he's still keen.

My DD was at LJB years ago at their old venue. The class was fair and challenging, with good focus on placement and constructive correction. It was a mixed sexes class, but there was occasionally a boys only class during term. The extra repertoire class was hugely enjoyed too. I can think of many boys and girls who left for vocational school during this time too.

Southerdancermum- If it helps to benchmark the standard: I believe there are some dancers who go to LJSB on a Sunday and RBS associates in London on a Saturday; which I believe happens with Tring CBA (alternate Sundays) as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Southerdancermum- If it helps to benchmark the standard: I believe there are some dancers who go to LJSB on a Sunday and RBS associates in London on a Saturday; which I believe happens with Tring CBA (alternate Sundays) as well.

Thanks Chaperone! that was exactly the kind of info i was after.

Local ballet teacher was quite condescending about a couple of the london school (she's RB trained), saying how they use the name London to gain a rep that they wouldnt gain otherwsie... i have no idea who she meant, or how serious it was, hence the question :)

Local ballet teacher was quite condescending about a couple of the london school (she's RB trained), saying how they use the name London to gain a rep that they wouldnt gain otherwsie... i have no idea who she meant, or how serious it was, hence the question :)

We've come across that type of attitude in the past too... I dare say they use 'London' in the name as that is where they are based ;)

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

LJB and LSB are fantastic. I am RBS trained and did both before US. It has been running for years. The things I would avoid are programmes set up by very newly qualified teachers who may have lots of performing experience but not teaching experience. As much as they may be good teachers, in an associate environment the teachers need to have across the board /age group experience of teaching. LJB has a fantastic reputation and the students are always very successful in auditions for schools and colleges.

• Like 3