Ballet in the Cinema 2014-2015

The Bolshoi's site announced a change in tomorrow's cast - Svetlana Zakharova will not be dancing:

Mehmene Banu - Maria Allash

Shireen             - Anna Nikulina

Ferhad              - Denis Rodkin

Vizier                 - Vitaly Biktimirov

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/71/roles/#20141026180000

The reason is that Svetlana has been hospitalised last night.

Edit: the last line added.

Edited by Amelia

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

£17 at the odeon in covent garden - the American prices look much nicer to me. That said, it was money well spent, the 3rd act was riveting. I did get a bit distracted by the costumes with what I can only call diamanté nipples though.

From the Russian press:

"Zakharova started feeling unwell on Thursday evening during her performance. However, she summoned up all her strength to dance through to the end and only afterwards asked for a doctor.

The preliminary diagnosis is renal colic."

http://www.mk.ru/culture/2014/10/26/v-moskve-gospitalizirovana-prima-bolshogo-teatra-svetlana-zakharova.html

I wish Svetlana to get well as soon as possible.

I saw a streamed performance of Carmen from The Met earlier today, something I wouldn't normally mention here had not ex-RB dancer Martin Harvey turned up twice in PDD set to parts of the Overtures to Acts 1 and 3.  His partner was Maria Kowroski and the choreography was by Chris Wheeldon.  Quite tasty.

I saw a streamed performance of Carmen from The Met earlier today, something I wouldn't normally mention here had not ex-RB dancer Martin Harvey turned up twice in PDD set to parts of the Overtures to Acts 1 and 3.  His partner was Maria Kowroski and the choreography was by Chris Wheeldon.  Quite tasty.

Harvey and Kowroski (a NYCB principal) are husband and wife I believe in the so-called 'real' world.  

Wondering about pricing.  I see that in Canadian cinemas showing the RB performance relays that there is one fixed maximum price for adults throughout the very large country (... i.e., one larger than the territorial USA ... and one where the entirety of the territorial UK could fit seven times into the province of Ontario alone) of $16.99 (or £9.44).  There are reductions for seniors and students.  In my local cinema (the Brixton Ritzy) the adult cost for these screenings - to anyone who is not a member of that particular cinema - is £20 (or $36.01 Canadian).  These maximum figures are clearly before any of the fees (booking and otherwise) are applied by the particular cinema.  

I was wondering - given that I assume the cost of the equipment needed for the relay is relatively the same in each country - (i) why are the prices in the UK chains so varying and (ii) why is the British price of admission over double that of the Canadian one (or at least as charged at the Ritzy), especially when one considers the fact that the Canadians are literally thousands of more miles away from the originating source ... which in my case you could walk in just over an hour if necessary?  (This is made especially potent when one considers that flying between Vancouver and Toronto represents a larger distance than flying between London [uK] and Toronto.)   Does anyone know?  

Edited by Bruce Wall

If it's anything like the USA, it could be that cinema prices generally are lower over there? I have a friend in the US who keeps going and re-viewing films she really likes, and I can't believe how little it costs her!

What strikes me even more is the discrepancy between cinemas of the same group. For example, Surrey Quays Odeon £13.00 for live broadcast of RB Manon, Wimbledon Odeon £25.00 for Bolshoi Legend of Love. I can understand central London screens having a premium, but Wimbledon is *not* central London!

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Bolshoi Pharaoh's Daughter is being re-shown on Sunday, and can I find anywhere in London showing it apart from Picturehouses, at £20?  Nope.  And I really don't feel like paying the price for a live broadcast so that they can just come in and put a DVD or whatever it is these days in the player.

Has anyone found anything cheaper?  No sign of any showings from Odeon, Vue, Curzon ...

I think Vue are showing this - not sure how many cinemas though. May be worth checking?

A handful: http://www.myvue.com/latest-movies/info/film/bolshoi-ballet-pharaohs-daughter-recorded-live

And only Shepherd's Bush in London. It may be £5 cheaper, but by the time I've paid transport costs there'd be very little in it.

TimeOut's cinema search is now at http://www.timeout.com/london/film, but unfortunately it no longer seems to cover cinemas across the UK, only the London area.

If it's anything like the USA, it could be that cinema prices generally are lower over there? I have a friend in the US who keeps going and re-viewing films she really likes, and I can't believe how little it costs her!

What strikes me even more is the discrepancy between cinemas of the same group. For example, Surrey Quays Odeon £13.00 for live broadcast of RB Manon, Wimbledon Odeon £25.00 for Bolshoi Legend of Love. I can understand central London screens having a premium, but Wimbledon is *not* central London!

It is interesting to note, Alison, that the Canadian cinemas showing the Royal Ballet screenings are now offering a ten per cent discount if you 'subscribe to the entire series' on top of their already substantially lesser charges than are charged in the RB's home country (e.g., here).  It would be grand I think if British cinemas offered a similar incentive.  It might help to even out some of the attendances ... and make the losses from screening such crucial events as an Ashton bill (for just one example) less potent. 

Also I don't know why they don't cross advertise other Arts screening presentations during the showings of different arts constituents.  (I realise these may be different for different chains.)  For example, I have never seen an ident at the Brixton Ritzy (Picturehouse chain) for the RB screenings during the NT, Met or Glynbourne cinema outings that I have attended or certainly none at the Bolshoi showings.  (I have once seen a Bolshoi ident during an NT screening encore but that is all.)  Of course this may just be the case in London.  Perhaps in other areas of the country this sharing practice is much more prevalent. 

I wonder too - if the Vienna lead proves effective - if the RB (and their purchased off shoot, Opus Arte) might not move to pay-per-view which I think might be the best option as it would take out the considerable number of cinema chain middle(men/women/people).  Part of me now thinks that - in the long term - this might prove the most profitable option (which is, of course, key in this regard as such screenings are apart from the concerns of tax-payer/lottery subsidy).

Edited by Bruce Wall

For North of London people, Watford Palace are showing Pharoah's Daughter the following Sunday, 30th Nov, at 3:00pm. They charge £15 with no concessions for live/recorded films. You could even stay for the evening showing of Gone Girl :)

The Electric Cinema in Birmingham is showing The Pharaoh's Daughter and other Bolshoi showings for £10.50 (concessions £8.50) for basic seats, although there are more expensive tickets in the sofas (£12.50 & £16.50). I've just come back from Bruges and the tickets at the cinema there are €22.50 each for the Bolshoi or €136.50 for all 7 ballets.

Also I don't know why they don't cross advertise other Arts screening presentations during the showings of different arts constituents.  (I realise these may be different for different chains.)  For example, I have never seen an ident at the Brixton Ritzy (Picturehouse chain) for the RB screenings during the NT, Met or Glynbourne cinema outings that I have attended or certainly none at the Bolshoi showings.  (I have once seen a Bolshoi ident during an NT screening encore but that is all.)  Of course this may just be the case in London.  Perhaps in other areas of the country this sharing practice is much more prevalent.

Yes, I agree. Go into your local Odeon showing such things and you'll probably find a sheet of paper detailing the Bolshoi showings, another one for the ROH, another one for Glyndebourne, another for the National Theatre, The Met Opera, and so on. And there still seems to be no desire to put together a specific mailing-list for arts and cultural events. So I'm almost unaware of the other, non-ballet, strands of what's on offer. It's a real shame for there to be this artificial divide between the artforms, when there is potential crossover between the audiences. It looks to me as though Odeon has totally opted out of the pre-recorded Bolshoi showings :(

• 2 weeks later...
TIME OUT advised that the Bolshoi’s La Bayadere will be shown in SIX London cinemas:

Gate Cinema Notting Hill, 87 Notting Hill Gate, London, W11 3JZ

Clapham Picturehouse, 76 Venn St, London, SW4 0AT

Ritzy Cinema Brixton, Brixton Oval, Coldharbour Lane, SW2 1JG

Vue Shepherd's Bush, West 12 Shopping & Leisure Centre, Shepherd's Bush Green, W12 8PP

Greenwich Picturehouse, 180 Greenwich High Rd, London, SE10 8NN

Stratford Picturehouse East London, Salway Rd, London, E15 1BX

At Clapham Picturehouse it will start at NOON. Price: Adult £20, Retired £15.

It will be the performance recorded in 2012 - duration 165 min.

The Bolshoi has a different show on that date - an interesting charity Gala Concert for the benefit of the Kiev Ballet School: Zakharova, Cojocaru, Osipova, Salenko, Sarafanov, Rodkin, de Bana, Putrov, Ovcharenko and others.

Edited for layout.

Edited by Amelia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For advertising the transmission to cinema the Bolshoi chose Paris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js9Z1VaTyLE 

The transmission of “Swan Lake” from the Bolshoi with Zakharova and Denis Rodkin will start this Sunday 25 January at 3 pm and will last 160 min.:

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/Clapham_Picturehouse/film/Bolshoi_Swan_Lake_2015/

This is the reply that I got from Clapham Picturehouse:

Sorry, there are not enough seats left. Please choose a different time.

Edited: The last Para added.

Edited by Amelia

Let me see ... Bolshoi Swan Lake. Do I want to go and see it?

- jester?: check

- Rothbart doppelganger?

Can't remember much about the rest of it: can anybody remind me, please?

Wonder whether it will have any impact on the RB broadcast?

Here is the full cast for the Bolshoi SWAN LAKE on Sunday for its live relay performance.  (This was always listed as a 'live relay', Alison from the time of the initial announcement of the Bolshoi broadcast season.)  It's great that the Bolshoi are so fulsome in their casting information (and not just for relay performances).  They and NYCB are a true role model in this respect.

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/36/roles/#20150125180000

I wonder if the Bolshoi actually mean to make this season a Denis Rodkin Festival (to take nothing away from the young man's talents)?  It seems to me that Rodkin has been a leading principal male in EVERY live relay from the Bolshoi thus far in the 2014/15 season.  I wonder what he will be doing or if he will appear in Ivan the Terrible, the last live item in that season's programme?  Bets are on that he will.  Certainly the current odds have it.  More importantly what's happening to such artists as Chudin or Lantratov or Ovcharenko - fine artists all and of Rodkin's generation?  Why are they not getting a chance at any one of these relays? Could this be illustrating that the almighty force that is Yury Nikolayevich Grigorovich is once again dominant?  All live relay productions are - as it happens - his.  World Ballet Day - at least from my take - seemed to be suggesting this.  Wisely perhaps Girgorovich would not speak to the camera.  The palm of this particular God (Vasiliev was wonderfully witty in his imitation of him at the LBC meeting) stood forcefully in the lens' path.  'Not me' it seemed to demand.  It would be interesting to know what Filin is thinking, especially as Smirnova and Chudin were proteges from his previous directorship.  I wonder is Filin now merely a puppet?  It would, I think, be a sad turn of affairs if that were to be the case ... but hardly surprising.

Edited by Bruce Wall

Let me see ... Bolshoi Swan Lake. Do I want to go and see it?

- jester?: check

- Rothbart doppelganger?

Can't remember much about the rest of it: can anybody remind me, please?

Wonder whether it will have any impact on the RB broadcast?

Personally, I loathe the Bolshoi's Swan Lake. The designs are horrible, dated 60s. The wigs are so horrendous they're distracting (I said this to someone before the Bolshoi did it live here in Toronto and her response was "How bad can they be?" until she saw it, and then it was "Katherine, you're RIGHT!"). Choreography does nothing for me; I find it unmusical.  I have seen it both live and in the cinema and have no desire to see it again. Also I find Zakharova too skinny (again, distractingly so) and unemotional.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Yuri Girgorovich's dead hand lies heavily on the Bolshoi's productions of Swan Lake and

Sleeping Beauty reducing both to approximations of the great works that they purport to show.I think that the excuse that they give for his productions is that they are poetic evocations of the works in question Danilova's description of the development of Russian ballet during the twentieth century as a display of dance rather than a means of creating mood or telling a story says all that needs to be said about his productions and his ballets.

Just a side note: anyone intending to go and see this in Wimbledon might need to be aware of major engineering works and lack of trains from Waterloo - I believe Thameslink services are still running. Looks as though this probably applies every weekend until the end of February.