Ballet in the Cinema 2014-2015

Does anyone recall how long the introductions (talk-ey bits etc) go on for before the ballet kicks off at the RB cinema screenings ? Swan Lake and Fille are scheduled to begin at 7.30 and as I only finish work at that time I'm wondering if I could make a mad dash to the cinema and sneak in about 7.45....

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure you get in early and book an aisle seat, then. Unfortunately, it seems to be the seats closest to the walls which get left, and your fellow cinemagoers will *not* appreciate it if you push past them once the performance has started! I got black enough looks once when I came in at about 7.20 after the restaurant I'd been eating at took ages to get my bill sorted.

Alternatively, have a look at your local cinema for "repeat" screenings. They're often on a Sunday.

• Like 1

Though there's no guarantee of keeping your aisle seat if you book it! If you went by one of the screenings I went to last year, well before the start time I was told by the two elderly ladies occupying our pre-booked aisle seats that it doesn't matter where we sat and we should go sit somewhere else! 

Edited by Sunrise
  • Like 1

Thank you alison and Sunrise. British punctuality positively flows through my veins and I'm usually the first to arrive for anything  !  Unfortunately our local cinema has always only been about a quarter full for the ROH screenings, so I think I'll be ok to slip in somewhere, at least until the first interval. 

Guess I won't be going to the cinema to see The Winter's Tale on Tuesday; we're expecting six inches of snow. Something of a winter's tale in itself, I suppose.

Good thing I bought the DVD!

Edited by Melody

This is included in the (as ever) wonderful daily links of today, but I just wanted to highlight that you may find some items in Deborah Jowitt's (as ever exemplary) report on the 2015 Dance on Camera Festival of interest given the specific nature/breadth of this category. 

http://www.artsjournal.com/dancebeat/2015/02/filming-dance-dancing-films/

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I guess at the very least all the Picturehouses and Odeons are a pretty good bet.  Plus the Barbican and maybe the odd Vue (Islington?).  Is there a shortage of cinemas where you live?

Thanks Alison.  But really, is it that difficult for the organisers to provide a list?  It's not much more than a week now to the 17th and it's still not possible to decide on a cinema suitable for friends from different locations.  And yes, there is a shortage of cinemas where I live - Chiswick in west London -  ie, we don't have a cinema at all.  I do know that the Curzon cinema in nearby Richmond is showing it, but they're fully booked already.

I guess they must think it's easier this way.  I was looking for a branch of a restaurant chain close to where I was going out the other night, and a map would have been just what I wanted, rather than a list of all the restaurants, which is what they gave me. I guess you can't please everybody unless you make both options available.

How accessible is The Gate from where you are?  Alternatively, could you consider one of the repeat showings?

Thanks Alison.  But really, is it that difficult for the organisers to provide a list?  It's not much more than a week now to the 17th and it's still not possible to decide on a cinema suitable for friends from different locations.  And yes, there is a shortage of cinemas where I live - Chiswick in west London -  ie, we don't have a cinema at all.  I do know that the Curzon cinema in nearby Richmond is showing it, but they're fully booked already.

I think the Fulham Road Cineworld is showing Swan Lake. That's not far from Chiswick, is it?

Well done, BBB!  Where did you find it on the ROH site?  All I could find was the aforementioned red balloon-infested map.  Of the list you provide, either of.the two Vues in Shepherd's Bush and the Odeons in both Richmond and Putney would be ideal for us.

Alison, the Gate in Notting Hill would be handy too, but unfortunately it's got a bit decrepit and I never feel comfortable there (I've grown rather picky in my old age).

Thank you, all.

I believe there's a Bolshoi R&J on this Sunday.  Do I want to bother going to that, given the alternative distractions?  Does anyone know who's dancing?

(BTW, Ann, I moved your queries into this thread for neatness.  I thought there was an option to leave a marker pointing people to the new location, but apparently not)

I believe there's a Bolshoi R&J on this Sunday.  Do I want to bother going to that, given the alternative distractions?  Does anyone know who's dancing?

Alison, I believe it is a 2013 recording, broadcast in cinemas in May of that year.  Anna Nikulina is Juliet and Alexander Volchkov is Romeo.

Full cast here: http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/344/roles/

Edited by ambros1a

A note from Graminlano as what will appear in the SL cinema broadcast features on 17.3.15:

[Cynthia] Harvey and Jonathan Cope, who both led the cast on the opening night in 1987, will be interviewed by Darcey Bussell during the interval alongside Sir Anthony [Dowell].

• Like 1

Today I popped into the cinema closest to me that's screening Swan Lake on Tuesday.  I wanted to see if there were any seats left.

I was told that 3 tickets had been sold so far.  I don't think advance booking is necessary!  ;)

Today I popped into the cinema closest to me that's screening Swan Lake on Tuesday.  I wanted to see if there were any seats left.

I was told that 3 tickets had been sold so far.  I don't think advance booking is necessary!  ;)

Would this perhaps be in the eastern part of London? :) 

I wonder where in South-West London, though?  I eventualy located two cinemas in Shepherd's Bush and one each  in Richmond and Notting Hill.  We eventually settled on Putney, as this was reasonably handy for everyone (self and 2 others)..

I certainly don't want to complain about any aspect of this wonderful new initiative for us ballet-lovers, but I would urge the overall organisers of the streamings to ensure that all the venues were clearly published as soon as settled; its just no good announcing the date of the screenings months ahead of the event  with no mention of the venues, and then leave everyone scrabbling around to find them as the great day approaches.    

• Like 1

It's difficult, Ann. I get the impression that some cinemas commit way in advance, while others leave it until they have a better idea of how the market's going and what the likely demand for alternatives is going to be. Certainly, it seemed a lot easier when the ROH showings were largely on Monday nights, which are generally really slow nights, so the cinemas tend not to mind sacrificing a screen or two.

I also note that the ROH is now offering a "student standby" for cinemas: 2 tickets for £10. How it works, I don't know, but details are on the ROH home page (currently in the set of scrolling pictures).