Ballet in the Cinema 2014-2015

Dunno about worldwide - Winter's Tale wasn't shown in the USA, and so far Fathom Events is silent about future Royal Ballet broadcasts.

Not surprised at the North American cinema chains' reluctance given the fact that all productions for the 2014/15 RB cinema relays (and a healthy number of the Bolshoi's for that matter) have already been broadcast at least once (in some cases more) previously albeit with different casts.  The cinema chain managers might, I'm sure, feel - given the cost of these entities and the fact that many of the dancers may well be unknown to the vast majority of North American audiences - that the returns from such might themselves be understandably diminished.  Certainly I, myself, could well understand if they were merely holding out for a more unique marketing hook to be provided by the supplier via  which they might better/best hang their commercial risk.  After all, once having agreed the showing against guarantee any loss(es) will be entirely played out within the domain of their own proverbial ball park. . Those too will have to be answered in our all too real world.  Caveat Emptor as ever reigns supreme.

Edited by Bruce Wall

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, John.  Oddly poor coverage in London, for once, I see: none of the five cinemas/chains I usually go to watch ballet in are showing it - at least at present.  But where on earth is Barton-under-Needwood?!  Come to think of it, where's the Victoria Curzon?  Have they built a new cinema in that new development in Victoria Street?

• 4 weeks later...

While wandering around the Picturehouses website - actually looking to see whether anyone was showing the Mariinsky Bayadère - I noticed they're having a 25%-off sale on new memberships: http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/News/item/25_Off_Summer_Sale/

Might be of interest to anyone thinking of using a Picturehouse for their live cinema relays next year - although I believe that senior citizens probably get similar discounts anyhow.

I'm seeing Fathom Events (which has shown the Royal Ballet movies for the last couple of years) advertising the Bolshoi for December and January. I assume that means they won't be showing the Royal Ballet, then, since it seems to be one or the other in the USA. Wonder if anywhere else will pick up the Royal Ballet or if the USA will be the only part of the world where we don't get to see it (as happened with the Winter's Tale).

Edited by Melody

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there will be another (live?) Bolshoi screening of Class Concert sometime next year? I'm catching up on several threads and vaguely recall reading about it around a month ago, but the only events I see listed online at http://www.pathelive.com/fr/saisons/bolshoi-2014-2015 are:
7th Dec. 2014: La Bayadere (recorded)
21st Dec. 2014: Nutcracker (live)
25th Jan. 2015: Swan Lake (live)
8th Mar. 2015: Romeo and Juliet (recorded)

19th Apr.2015:Ivan the Terrible (live).

Also, am I correct that the Sweet Sundays promotion (up to two £10 cinema tickets for codes from 4 sweet bags per ticket - see http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cineworld#deal32323 ) would not be valid for any of the above? The terms at: https://www.sweetsundays.co.uk/how-to.aspx say:

11. CAN I UPGRADE TO A 3D FILM?

The voucher is not valid for "premium" content films including any 3D films, IMAX, (or other large format screenings), alternative content or live satellite broadcasts. For D-Box and/or premium seating, event cinema, educational films, premieres, previews or other special screenings, except at Showcase cinemas the claimant must pay the difference between the standard admission price and the admission price for that "premium" film/seat.

Yaffa

[edited to correct typo]

Edited by Yaffa

Maybe I'll forgive Fathom Events; looks as though they're carrying the Royal Ballet 2014/2015 season after all. :D  :D  :D

Manon in October, Alice in December, and Winter's Tale (finally!), Swan Lake, and Fille next year. Plus the Bolshoi. Two Swan Lakes fairly close together; should be interesting.

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/the-royal-ballet-season-2014-15/more-info/201415-royal-ballet-cinema-season

Edited by Melody

Does anyone know if there will be another (live?) Bolshoi screening of Class Concert sometime next year? 

I can't see why there would be: it's not listed, and the last showing would be about 3 years ago, I'd guess (was it with Giselle?)

Also, am I correct that the Sweet Sundays promotion (up to two £10 cinema tickets for codes from 4 sweet bags per ticket - see http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cineworld#deal32323 ) would not be valid for any of the above? The terms at: https://www.sweetsundays.co.uk/how-to.aspx say:

11. CAN I UPGRADE TO A 3D FILM?

The voucher is not valid for "premium" content films including any 3D films, IMAX, (or other large format screenings), alternative content or live satellite broadcasts. For D-Box and/or premium seating, event cinema, educational films, premieres, previews or other special screenings, except at Showcase cinemas the claimant must pay the difference between the standard admission price and the admission price for that "premium" film/seat.

My experience is that live relays (and even "dead" ones) count as "premium/special" screenings and that all offers are usually off for them.  That bit about Showcase is confusing, though: I've never been allowed to "top up" to premium rate on any complimentary ticket or anything like that.

I can't see why there would be: it's not listed, and the last showing would be about 3 years ago, I'd guess (was it with Giselle?)

My experience is that live relays (and even "dead" ones) count as "premium/special" screenings and that all offers are usually off for them.  That bit about Showcase is confusing, though: I've never been allowed to "top up" to premium rate on any complimentary ticket or anything like that.

Thanks Alison - I probably misread the date on an old announcement for Class Concert...

Yaffa

• 4 weeks later...

Just spotted this - Moulin Rouge, Royal Winnipeg Ballet.  It's showing in selected cinemas in the UK on various dates:

14 September:

Connaught Theatre, Worthing: https://uk.patronbase.com/_WorthingTheatres/Sections/Choose?prod_id=17W&perf_id=1

18th September

Showcase Cinemas: http://www.showcasecinemas.co.uk/events/arts-and-events/moulin-rouge--royal-winnipeg-ballet

Red Carpet Cinema: http://www.redcarpetcinema.co.uk/FilmDetail.aspx?ID=245

25 September:

Odyssey cinema in Belfast: http://www.odysseycinemas.co.uk/film-info?film=3350

Reel Cinemas have it listed but no details of showings yet: http://www.reelcinemas.co.uk/films/moulin_rouge___royal_winnipeg_ballet-f118168.html

There may be other cinemas and dates but this is all I have been able to find so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Another post from ambros1a, which I've copied over from the Paris Opera Ballet thread:

"I don't know if there are many people on this forum from Ireland but Manon is live in HD in some cinemas (IMC, Lighthouse and Screen in Dublin; Carrick on Shannon and Letterkenny).  The Manon performance is on May 18th and is the farewell performance of Aurélie Dupont.  According to the Paris Opera website it will also be available from May 19th on Culturebox (online I think)

There is also (to be confirmed) Nutcracker (recording) and Fêtez la Danse (which I think is a recording of the Défilé and Etudes from the livestream of October 4th) on December 18th. This is to be presented by Brigitte Lefèvre.

http://classicalarts...allet-de-paris/

http://www.fnacspect...T.htm#blocInfos"

I notice at the bottom of Sarah Crompton's review of Manon today that the Daily Telegraph will have an offer for 2-for-1 on seats for various ROH Live cinema broadcasts:

"Telegraph readers can enjoy 2-for-1 tickets to the Royal Opera House Live Cinema Season at more than 300 cinemas nationwide, with the newspaper on Saturday, October 4. The productions include Manon, I due Foscari and L’elisir d’amore. Information here. "

Hurrah - there are encore dates at Vue. I was just browsing 'Events' on the Vue website and found encore screenings of most ROH offerings. Manon is being encored at 2:00 on Sunday 19th October. Moulin Rouge and Billy Elliott are also having another showing :)

• 3 weeks later...

How strange is the difference in price for the Bolshoi's

"The Legend of Love" on Sunday 26 October, 3 p.m.:

Clapham Picturehouse - £15.00

Wimbledon Odeon    -  £25.50.

The tickets for last Sunday's "Manon" at Odeon cost £15.50.

Gulp.  Thanks for that warning, Amelia: I had been thinking of going to Wimbledon (engineering works permitting, as ever), but not at that price!  Wonder if other branches will be as pricey?  Funny how much things differ: I noticed that Surrey Quays Odeon was only charging £13 or so for Manon, but I doubt they're showing the Bolshoi.

Oh, and according to the Wimbledon website, the tickets for Manon were £18.50, I think it was.  But the seat selection option wasn't available, so I couldn't see whether it was worth turning up "on spec".

In downtown Denver, Manon was $18 ($15 for seniors and children), the same price as Legend of Love this Sunday. No reserved seating, but with a nearly-empty theater, that wasn't necessary. Whatever the market will bear, I guess. And with the scheduling (Thursday night and Sunday morning), those theaters would have been sitting empty anyway. 

By the way, if anyone is planning on going to Wimbledon anyway and thinking of travelling by tram, check first: I know there are some engineering works coming up at Mitcham Junction, and they tend to be arranged during school holidays, which is this week.

Watford Palace charge £15 for all their theatre streamings - no concessions :(

I was looking on the Vue website to verify their prices which I seem to remember are less, but Watford Vue is not showing The Legend of Love - there were 14 Vues listed. However I did come across the story which was new to me -

When Princess Shireen is taken seriously ill, certain death awaits her – unless her older sibling hands Shireen her beauty. Queen Mekhmene Banu decides she must sacrifice her own vanity to save her sisters life, and must live the rest of her life hideously disfigured.

After making a full recovery, the now beautiful Shireen adds insult to injury, and steals the lover of her kind-hearted sister, a painter named Ferkhad. The Legend of Love is a beautiful ballet which combines stunning dance with a brilliant plot of intense sibling-rivalry, sacrifice, jealousy and deceit.

As one of Russian ballet-maestro Yuri Grigorovich’s earliest choreographic works, this fresh adaptation features the fancy footwork of the talented Bolshoi dance troupe, and beautiful costume and stage design, inspired by the Middle East. 

I look forward to some 'fancy footwork' !!

Edited by GailR

I paid $12 for the two ballets I saw last season (Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty) but Manon was $18. I don't think the difference in price is that Manon was going out live (or at least, with a five-hour delay to account for the time difference between here and London), because Sleeping Beauty was also live-ish (it was shown the day after the actual performance) and it cost the same as the repeat of the Yanowsky-Kish Swan Lake. But $18 is still a pretty good price, and as my husband said, it beats shelling out a few thousand for a plane ticket and hotel room!

However I did come across the story which was new to me -

Dear GailR, thank you for the story. May I say that wherever it came from, its author has not done it accurately and distorted the motives of the main characters.

Mehmene did not hand her beauty to her sister. Shireen was a beauty in her own right. She did not steal her sister’s lover - he fell in love with Shireen when he first met her.Both sisters are loving, there is no deceit there, just the younger sister ran away to be with Ferhad who is socially not in her league.

I hope you will not mind if I give a more accurate description of this story in the next posting.

Edited for layout.

Edited by Amelia

Ballet “The Legend of Love” is based on the play by the Turkish writer Nazym Khickmet.

Princess Shireen is dying of an unknown ailment and no one can cure her. Her elder sister Queen Mehmene Banu is beside herself with despair and is ready to give any valuables or even her crown in exchange for her sister’s health. A sorcerer errant promised to cure the girl but the Queen must pay for this miracle with her dazzling beauty. She will be forever bound to cover her face with a scarf, leaving only her eyes to be seen. Mehmene Banu agreed to make this sacrifice. Shireen recovered and could hardly recognise her sister in the defaced woman kneeling by her bed. 

Mehmene Banu and Shireen go to see the new palace built for the Princess. Both sisters admire a young handsome artist Ferhad who is decorating the arch. After the Queen and her retinue departed Shireen approaches Ferhad who doesn’t know who she is. They fell in loved with each other and decided to run away.

In the meantime a great disaster falls on the country’s people: the water sources have dried up. Who will pluck the courage to break the way for water through the mountain?

Mehmene can not forget Ferhad. In her dreams she can see herself beautiful again, together with Ferhad who loves her passionately.

After learning of the lovers’ flight the Queen launches a chase. When they are brought to her, she announces to Ferhad her will: he will marry Shireen but not before he broke the way for water through the mountain. Ferhad agrees and promises the people to bring them water.
  • Like 1

I paid $12 for the two ballets I saw last season (Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty) but Manon was $18. I don't think the difference in price is that Manon was going out live (or at least, with a five-hour delay to account for the time difference between here and London), because Sleeping Beauty was also live-ish (it was shown the day after the actual performance) and it cost the same as the repeat of the Yanowsky-Kish Swan Lake.

Were they all at the same venue?  The problem with the live relays is that the cinema has to invest in the necessary satellite equipment or whatever it is in order to receive them, whereas if they're not live you just get a recording.  There used to be a price difference between recorded and non-recorded showings when they first came out, but frankly if Picturehouses are going to charge the same for a 3-year-old recording as they do for a live transmission then I'm not going to bother.

Yes, it was the same cinema. Since I'm in the USA the live recordings aren't live, but Manon was at least on the same day as the live performance.

I gather there's been some trouble finding an outlet for the Royal Ballet cinema offerings in the USA. Last year Fathom Events cancelled the showing of A Winter's Tale, and I was hearing some speculation about the Bolshoi insisting on being the only company whose content is shown by the US outlet, meaning that in the past the Royal Ballet was often sidelined. This year the Bolshoi and Royal Ballet performances are both being shown, so they must have got over that hurdle, but I'm wondering if the increased price reflects an increased cost to Fathom Events.