Ballet in the Cinema 2014-2015

Well, Picturehouse Cinemas are quick off the mark with announcing the Royal Ballet (and Opera) screenings for next season: http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/News/item/Royal_Opera_House_2014_15_Season_Now_On_Sale/

I've just lifted the ballet-related text from the webpage.

Thursday 16 October, 7.15

Manon (Live)

Ballet in three acts. 2 hrs 35 mins approx.

The duets that MacMillan created for Manon and Des Grieux are among the most emotionally intense and erotically charged ever choreographed.

Tuesday 16 December, 7.15

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (Live)

Ballet in three acts. 2 hrs 55 mins approx.

Christopher Wheeldon, composer Joby Talbot and designer Bob Crowley have created a genuine family ballet in the spirit of Lewis Carroll’s much-loved children’s classic.

Tuesday 17 March, 7.15

Swan Lake (Live)

Ballet in four acts. 3 hrs approx.

Yolanda Sonnabend’s designs are an inspired blend of historical accuracy and Gothic fantasy, drawing on the opulent style of Carl Fabergé.

Tuesday 5 May, 7.15

La Fille Mal Gardée (Live)

Ballet in two acts. 2 hrs 15 mins approx.

Frederick Ashton's final full-length ballet is one of his most joyous creations, inspired by his love for the Suffolk countryside.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

New Bolshoi season has been posted: http://www.pathelive.com/fr/saisons/ballet-du-bolchoi-2014-2015

DIM 26-oct

LÉGENDE D'AMOUR (Direct)
Melikov / Grigorovitch
Nouvelle production

DIM 23-nov
LA FILLE DU PHARAON (Enregistré) - Pharoah's Daughter
Pugni / Lacotte

DIM 07-déc
LA BAYADÈRE (Enregistré)
Minkus / Grigorovitch

DIM 21-déc
CASSE-NOISETTE (Direct) - Nutcracker
Tchaïkovski / Grigorovitch

DIM 25-jan
LE LAC DES CYGNES (Direct) - Swan Lake
Tchaïkovski / Grigorovitch

DIM 08-mar
ROMÉO ET JULIETTE (Enregistré)
Prokofiev / Grigorovitch

DIM 19-avr
IVAN LE TERRIBLE (Direct)
Prokofiev / Grigorovitch

Yes, that was my first reaction too (though I think I would always hanker for Taranda in this ballet). I assume the ballets entitled Direct are live performances and the ones entitled Enregistre are repeats. Slightly disappointed with the ballets selected. Why couldn't they repeat Flames of Paris as that has only been shown once ages ago? It seems the only way we'll see Osipova and Vasiliev together at least in the near future. I know at one time Vasiliev wanted to do Ivan so it will be interesting if he does dance it though as he isn't a Company member they may not choose to film him. Would also love to see what they make of Manon.

Disappointing to see so many repeats (as I assume these all are, rather than just recorded performances) - particularly since Picturehouses, at least, still charge them as if they were a live broadcast, with all the concomitant equipment and satellite costs.

Thanks for the info, helpop.

• 3 weeks later...

(i) Why couldn't they repeat Flames of Paris as that has only been shown once ages ago? It seems the only way we'll see Osipova and Vasiliev together at least in the near future. (ii) I know at one time Vasiliev wanted to do Ivan so it will be interesting if he does dance it though as he isn't a Company member they may not choose to film him. 

(i) Jmhopton, Please know you can go to La Scala in a month or so and see them both dance McMillan's R&J (assuming no changes) ... or to NYC in the autumn (lovely time to be there) and see them dance DQ and in a triple bill (as well as Vasiliev in Flames and both in different performances of Giselle - Osipova dances with the stellar Sarafanov as she did at the Mariinsky - with the Mikhailovsky all in a 2.5 week residency and the Koch Theatre.  (ii)  I would like to see that Ivan too.  Don't like the ballet as a rule but have only ever seen it with Mukhamedov and a young Godunov.  Sure Vasiliev would add heat to the flesh of what otherwise might well be some rather hollow rattling bones.  Somehow suspect politics may will kick in though as he isn't appearing - apparently - as Spartacus when the Bolshoi do it in NYC this summer ... and sadly was not even one of the replacements for the ABT Bayadere - let alone first casts - which may well, I suppose, be his choice.  As it is he is only doing three ABT appearances all season - the opening gala (the central pas from Bayadere as it happens with the lovely G. Murphy) and two DQs - one each with different partners - all in the opening two weeks.  (This may well be because of other commitments - such was suggested by one poster on the KoD forum pages on this website.)  Still one lives in hope vis a vis the Ivan given that he is listed as a 'guest principal' on the main Bolshoi site now.  Otherwise it is a rather cool - in places almost frigid Bolshoi Cinema dance season.  More enticement for the punters will be necessary I think ... much as with the ROH offerings ... Still bemused and saddened that the Ashton bill is not being included in the latter's remit.

Edited by Meunier

• 5 weeks later...

According to the new Dancing Times it will be screened at Odeon, Vue, Showcase, Empire and independent cinemas and stars Viktoria Tereshkina as Nikiya, Anastasia Matvienko as Gamzatti and Vladimir Shklyarov as Solor.

Well, that's a shock, but if it's being shown at nationwide chains that's good news.  My guess would be a limited selection like the Bolshoi broadcasts, but I'd love to be wrong.

There is a live relay from the Mariinsky of La Bayadere on Monday 14 July at 18.15pm it is showing at The Light Cinema New Brighton for one.

"Live" from St. P'burg, so that'd be starting at about 10/11.15 their time?!

It's obviously being shown in London - as it is currently selling tickets at the Odeon in Covent Garden.  A healthy £18 fare for a normal working adult.  Heady, I'd say.  (Discounts ARE available for the usual suspects.)  Cheaper to stand and watch them live at the ROH shortly thereafter if you are an employed punter.  Cinema performance of La Bayadere on 14.7 (my birthday as it happens - oh, and Bastille Day) is listed as starting at 6.30 pm.  Something tells me it is NOT a simultaneous relay ... as Alison so kindly pointed out.

Edited by Bruce Wall

Cheaper to stand and watch them live at the ROH shortly thereafter if you are an employed punter.  

AND if you've been fortunate enough to get one of the few standing tickets.  AND if you happen to live in London.  AND if they happened to be doing Bayadère (which I would have booked for if they had been).  AND if you happen to have a job ...

Presumably Picturehouses will be doing their usual £20 job?  I can't imagine they're not included.

AND if you've been fortunate enough to get one of the few standing tickets.  AND if you happen to live in London.  AND if they happened to be doing Bayadère (which I would have booked for if they had been).  AND if you happen to have a job ...

That's a lot of happenings!  Oh, joy, oh rapture ... and in the case of Bayadere LIVE this time round ... un - fore (and aft) - seen!

Edited by Bruce Wall

Hmm, thus far it's only showing up on the Swiss Cottage and Covent Garden Odeons as far as London is concerned. I don't know whether more are going to be added, but at present it's rather more restricted than the branches which show the Bolshoi.

Alison/Shade:

Where are you finding the information (little as it is) on cinemas showing Bayadere?   I'm trying to find a cinema to suit both myself in west London and a friend in Kingston and it's proving very difficult , so any pointers would be helpful.

Alison/Shade:

Where are you finding the information (little as it is) on cinemas showing Bayadere?   I'm trying to find a cinema to suit both myself in west London and a friend in Kingston and it's proving very difficult , so any pointers would be helpful.

There's a list on the Odeon website but there aren't many cinemas in or near London - just the two Alison has already mentioned (Covent Garden and Swiss Cottage) plus one in Barnet.  Maybe more will be added later?

To see the list, click on 'select a cinema' and you'll get a drop down list of the cinemas concerned.

http://www.odeon.co.uk/films/mariinsky_on_screen_la_bayadere_live/15245/

Edited to add that Vue Cinemas have a page with a similar drop down list but I can't, at the moment, see any in your part of London.

http://www.myvue.com/latest-movies/info/film/la-bayadere-live-from-mariinsky-festival#

Edited by Bluebird

Well I can't find any cinema in Birmingham showing this at the moment. The nearest I can find is the Showcase cinema in Coventry. Why are the different cinema chains so selective with which places they transmit this from? Perhaps it doesn't help that Macbeth from the Globe is being shown that evening in a lot of cinemas.

Not listed for Blackpool either and they normally show the Bolshoi but possibly not the Mariinsky. However I picked up a leaflet for the Winter gardens, Blackpool entitled 'Opera House Cinema Nights' and they are showing Nureyev: 75th Ballet Concert from Paris this Tuesday 10th June at 8pm £10 per ticket; £6 concessions. I don't know if it's being shown elsewhere as my home and work computers are so out of date it's hugely difficult accessing the Odeon website which is my only local cinema showing ballet. From the little I've been able to glean about this broadcast it sounds as if it might be the Nureyev and Friends gala broadcast on SkyArts a couple of weeks or so ago, especially as it doesn't mention it is a live broadcast.

We have received the following Press Release:

LIVE CINEMA BROADCAST OF MARIINSKY BALLET’S LA BAYADÈRE

FROM THE MARIINSKY THEATRE, ST. PETERSBURG: JULY 14, 2014

On Monday 14th July the Mariinsky Ballet’s legendary production of La Bayadère will be broadcast live* to cinemas across the UK and Ireland from the historic Mariinsky Theatre. Originally choreographed by Marius Petipa and first premiered in 1877, the ballet is a touchstone production for the Mariinsky Theatre and is being broadcast live from the annual Stars of the White Nights Festival in St. Petersburg for the first time, conducted by Artistic Director, Valery Gergiev.

The powerful story of the noble warrior Solor and the temple dancer Nikia, La Bayadère is a classic 19th century production that combines the exotic setting of 19th century India with the stunning virtuosity of Russian ballet technique, and features one of the most celebrated scenes in classical ballet – The Kingdom of the Shades.

When the Mariinsky Theatre last performed the production in London at the Royal Opera House in 2011, it received a rapturous reception from critics and audiences alike. The three principals – Viktoria Tereshkina, Anastasia Matvienko and Vladimir Shklyarov – will be reprising their roles for the live broadcast, giving ballet fans nationwide the opportunity to watch the very pinnacle of Russian ballet at their local cinema.

The live broadcast of La Bayadère is part of the Mariinsky on Screen cinema season distributed by London-based event cinema distributor More2Screen in partnership with the French production company Telmondis. There will be a live broadcast of a new production of Prokofiev’s War and Peace from the new stage of the Mariinsky Theatre (Mariinsky II) on Wednesday 16 July 2014.

* With a short time delay from St. Petersburg

Cast

Nikiya                                    Viktoria Tereshkina

Solor                                      Vladimir Shklyarov

Gamzatti                              Anastasia Matvienko

The Golden Idol                               Kimin Kim

Production

Conducted by Valery Gergiev

Music by Ludwig Minkus

Choreography by Marius Petipa (1877)

Revised choreography by Vladimir Ponomarev and Vakhtang Chabukiani (1941) with dances by Konstantin Sergeyev and Nikolai Zubkovsky

Libretto by Marius Petipa and Sergei Khudekov

Set design by Mikhail Shishliannikov after set designs by Adolf Kvapp, Konstantin Ivanov,

Pyotr Lambin and Orest Allegri

Costumes by Yevgeny Ponomarev

Lighting Design by Mikhail Shishliannikov

Ballet in 3 acts

Running time 180 minutes

Screening at Odeon, Vue, Showcase, and independent cinemas across the UK and Ireland on Monday 14 July 2014.

Full cinema listings at www.mariinskyonscreen.com

For press enquiries contact Margaret Skeet PR:

Email: margaret@margaretskeet.com

Tel: 0208 524 5516

Mobile: 07855 707418

Twitter: @margaretskeet

Notes To Editors:

MARIINSKY THEATRE

The Mariinsky Theatre is a symbol both of St. Petersburg and of Russia. The oldest musical theatre in Russia, it has been the academy of Russian opera and ballet for over two hundred years. Since it was founded, the Mariinsky Theatre’s glory and international fame have been firmly grounded in three things – its Opera, Ballet and Orchestra. The story of the Mariinsky Opera and Ballet Companies, however, goes as far back as 1783, when Empress Catherine II issued a Decree on the establishment of a theatre committee “to manage spectacles and music”. The theatre, named the Mariinsky after Empress Maria Alexandrovna, wife of Alexander II, opened amid great pomp on 2 October 1860 with a production of Mikhail Glinka’s opera A Life for the Tsar.

The Mariinsky Theatre has produced myriad outstanding artists including singers Ivan Yershov, Medea and Nikolai Figner, Fyodor Chaliapin and dancers Anna Pavlova, Vaslav Nijinsky, Galina Ulanova, Rudolf Nureyev and Mikhail Baryshnikov. A hugely important role in the development of ballet was played by Mariinsky Theatre ballet-masters Marius Petipa, Michel Fokine and George Balanchine. The theatre has witnessed the talents of such great theatre designers as Konstantin Korovin, Alexander Golovin, Alexander Benois and Léon Bakst to name but a few. Legendary artists who conducted the Mariinsky Orchestra and praised its outstanding musicianship included Berlioz, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Mahler and Rachmaninoff.

The Mariinsky Theatre’s repertoire is based on opera and ballet works by Tchaikovsky, on opera works by Rimsky-Korsakov, Glinka, Musorgsky, Prokofiev and Shostakovich. The fate of Richard Wagner’s operas in Russia is linked first and foremost with the Mariinsky Theatre. And today it may be bravely said that over the last twenty five years, thanks to Valery Gergiev, the theatre has become one of the finest ensembles in the world.

On May 2, 2013 the new Mariinsky Theatre (Mariinsky II) opened alongside the historical Mariinsky Theatre. Mariinsky II joined the historic stage of the Mariinsky Theatre (Mariinsky I), which opened in 1860, as the centerpiece of the Mariinsky cultural precinct, which also includes the Concert Hall, inaugurated in 2006. The cultural complex reaffirms the Mariinsky’s status as one of the world’s most important cultural organisations.

www.mariinsky.ru/en

MORE2SCREEN

More2Screen is the leading distributor of event cinema in the UK* with more than 7 years of experience acquiring and distributing world-class opera, ballet, music concerts, theatre and special event films to 5,000 cinemas in 60+ international territories – including 40 live broadcasts and over 100 different recorded productions, plus 3D live/recorded content. We’re passionate about bringing the finest entertainment content closer to local audiences across the globe, from distributing magnificent opera and ballet productions in partnership with Europe’s leading companies including the Royal Opera House, the Mariinsky Theatre and the Dutch National Ballet, to first-class classical music concerts from the Berliner Philharmoniker. In the expanding area of museum events we are the international distributor for the British Museum’s ground-breaking Pompeii from the British Museum and the forthcoming Vikings from the British Museum. Our ever-expanding repertoire also features live and recorded pop music events from best-selling artists like The Rolling Stones, Adele, Queen, Peter Gabriel, Def Leppard and Morrissey, plus theatre must-sees Jeff Wayne’s The War of The Worlds, Stephen Sondheim's Company and Broadway’s Romeo and Juliet starring Orlando Bloom.

*(Source: IHS Screen Digest Report 2012)

www.more2screen.com

TELMONDIS

Created in 1972 and run by Antoine Perset, Telmondis is one of France’s largest audiovisual producers of upscale live performances : opera, ballet, theatre and world-renowned circus performances, musical shows, classical and contemporary dancing, jazz, world music and documentaries.

www.telmondis.fr

MARIINSKY OPERA UK TOUR

Valery Gergiev and the Mariinsky Opera will be performing in the UK as follows:

Berlioz: Les Troyens 28-30 August, Edinburgh International Festival

Prokofiev: Betrothal in a Monastery (concert performance) 2 November, Wales Millennium Centre

Mussorgsky: Boris Godunov (concert performance) 3 & 4 November, Barbican Hall

Shchedrin: Levsha (The Lefthander) – UK premiere (concert performance)

Wagner: Ring Cycle 5-9 November, Birmingham Hippodrome

Thank you Janet - at last some definite information - and thank you too to Bluebird for  dislodging some earlier information.  Still no complete list of cinemas showing the streaming  (though More2screen's website is so hard to read that there could be something lurking on there).   Anyway, at least we know now that it is actually a live streaming - I'm looking forward as much to this  as to  the one live Maryinksy's  performance I've managed to get a ticket for (the 'Apollo' programme - yippee!).  

Edited by Ann Williams

The Royal Ballet's initiative to show their productions worldwide through live cinema broadcasts has clearly inspired other companies...

Didn't the Bolshoi actually beat the RB to it on the live screenings front?

The Royal Ballet's initiative to show their productions worldwide through live cinema broadcasts has clearly inspired other companies...

Dunno about worldwide - Winter's Tale wasn't shown in the USA, and so far Fathom Events is silent about future Royal Ballet broadcasts.