HELP NEEDED!

Danseur96

Hello BalletcoForum users, I am a new member and this is my first post... I was hoping I could have some help!

I am a male dancer aged 17 years and 11 months, and started ballet at the age of 15 years 3 months. Obviously I have started incredibly late for a career in classical ballet but have had indication from previous successes and teachers that I am not wasting my time. Here is what I have achieved in my short amount of training:

Scholarship with the British Ballet Organisation

Scholarship with the Yorkshire Ballet Scholarship Centre

Acceptance into the Royal Ballet's Summer School '13

Offered a place on the Royal Ballet Senior Associates Course

Now here is where my problem lies... I recently auditioned for all the major ballet schools (Royal, ENB, Elmhurst etc.) but have been rejected by all apart from Central where I have been placed on the waiting list. My situation with my current ballet teacher is incredibly bad, but I would not like to discuss it at present. I am looking for somewhere around Yorkshire (I am also willing to travel further afield if needed) that can provide me with intensive ballet training 5/6 days a week? It can be anything... private tuition, small ballet schools... anything! 

Obviously because of my age, I will be too old to audition for the likes of Royal, ENB for entry Sept. 2015. But that leaves schools like Central that can accommodate for older students. I am driven, passionate, incredibly devoted to my art and am willing to do whatever it takes to train with a good teacher(s).

Thank you for taking the time out to read my post, and all replies are welcome!

Danseur96

• Like 2

Hi - you have achieved a great deal in a short time, well done!  There is still a chance you may get a place from Central's waiting list.  Did you try Rambert?  If not it might be worth speaking to them as they are still auditioning I believe.

If you are in Leeds, Northern Ballet Academy is based there, perhaps you can contact them.  Even if they have nothing suitable for you at the moment, they may have suggestions where you can train before auditioning next year.

I am sure other board members based in the North will be able to add further suggestions (I'm afraid I'm in the South).

edited to add -

Others that you could try to audition for now for entry in Sept 2014 are Ballet West and the school of Ballet Theatre UK.  There are threads about both of them on this board.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
  • Like 2

I noticed that Doreen Wells offering private tuition via Twitter and facebook, not sure where based though...probably expensive but may be a worth exploring.

What about Royal conservatoire of Scotland?

Also London studio centre has , I believe a high standard of classical training though its a mixed dance course i think. There is a three day summer classical intensive which may be a way of trying it out.

• Like 1

I don't live in Europe, so I can't really help you with your problem... sounds like a toughie.

But I do want to congratulate you on what you've accomplished. Besides from great teaching, it takes a lot of dedication, talent, and hard work to acheive what you have in a lifetime of dance, and you've done it in about two years! Props to you! Good luck! :)

Don't know of any local dance school that does the amount of training you are looking for, but could you contact local dance schools, explain your aims and ask if they would allow you to attend more than one school. I'm based in York, there are several schools with good reputations in the area.

Hi - you have achieved a great deal in a short time, well done!  There is still a chance you may get a place from Central's waiting list.  Did you try Rambert?  If not it might be worth speaking to them as they are still auditioning I believe.

If you are in Leeds, Northern Ballet Academy is based there, perhaps you can contact them.  Even if they have nothing suitable for you at the moment, they may have suggestions where you can train before auditioning next year.

I am sure other board members based in the North will be able to add further suggestions (I'm afraid I'm in the South).

edited to add -

Others that you could try to audition for now for entry in Sept 2014 are Ballet West and the school of Ballet Theatre UK.  There are threads about both of them on this board.

Thank you ever so much for the quick reply! 

Am I right in thinking that Rambert is more for students that want to follow a contemporary route rather than a classical one? I haven't applied for Rambert as I'm not really much of a contemporary dancer, I have one contemporary class a week and that is all. 

I was admitted into the weekly Northern Ballet Associates class in March for a 4 week trial, but was told the class was far too large (which it really was, 40ish students in the class) to admit an extra person for the rest of the course. They did however tell me to attend their Tuesday Adult Class and they could maybe offer me more training as time goes on... So there is a positive there!

Ballet Theatre UK School - I contacted them Wednesday last week to ask if it was too late to audition and I got a swift reply inviting me to the audition that Sunday. I'm just a bit unsure whether the training there will be of a good standard, considering Sept. 14 will be the first time it opens its doors, I'm sure you know what I mean.

As for Ballet West, I didn't know anything about them until a ballet teacher at British Ballet Organisation (BBO) 'Dance Days' told me to apply for their school. I emailed early last week to see if it was too late to send off a DVD audition but have still not had a reply, I have just emailed again now.

Thank you! :)

I noticed that Doreen Wells offering private tuition via Twitter and facebook, not sure where based though...probably expensive but may be a worth exploring.

What about Royal conservatoire of Scotland?

Also London studio centre has , I believe a high standard of classical training though its a mixed dance course i think. There is a three day summer classical intensive which may be a way of trying it out.

Yes I also follow her on Twitter and have seen it! She is affiliated with the BBO so I've met her a couple of time as well.

I just question whether the classes would be frequent enough for me to completely depend my training on, if you get my drift.

I've heard of the Royal Conservatoire but have heard some pretty bad things about it, from reliable sources. (Not trying to offend anyone who has in any way been affiliated with the RC. Just passing on info I have heard) I also can't really find out a great deal on the internet about it. 

Yes, my current BBO ballet teacher Simon Horrill is a teacher at LSC, and I have questioned about it but he says that people in the classes there are of mixed abilities and the type of training a purely classical dancer needs is not suited to there.

Thanks!  :)

I don't live in Europe, so I can't really help you with your problem... sounds like a toughie.

But I do want to congratulate you on what you've accomplished. Besides from great teaching, it takes a lot of dedication, talent, and hard work to acheive what you have in a lifetime of dance, and you've done it in about two years! Props to you! Good luck! :)

Thank you ever so much for your kind words, it means a whole lot - especially from someone that knows about dance!

:)

Don't know of any local dance school that does the amount of training you are looking for, but could you contact local dance schools, explain your aims and ask if they would allow you to attend more than one school. I'm based in York, there are several schools with good reputations in the area.

Good idea. I live in Guiseley, just outside of Leeds. I've been to see many dance schools' around my areas showcases', and let's just say that the schools are really not the greatest of places for someone looking to go professional to be. 

What schools in York are there?

Thank you  :)

Guest Autumn days

What about Northern in Manchester? And Tring? I know that Tring often grant a late audition. I think that the training at Tring is good, especially for boys! The problem with these schools, though,  is that there may not be any DaDA places available now but I don't know if that would be an issue for you. 

I'm not sure about Rambert - what do other people think about it from a classical point of view?

You have done really well so far so I hope that you find a solution!

Did you go to the BTUK audition?

Are you still dancing with Yorkshire ballet scholarship centre? One of the trustees, Sharon Hancox, teaches at York Dance Works, I know Rebecca Davies School of Dance has had pupils go onto further training, there's also Patricia Veale School of Dance and Red Shoes School of Dance. There are other dance schools but these are the schools that me / my dd know students at. You could also try websites for the main dance organisations (eg IDTA, RAD, ISTD etc to try to find schools nearer to yourself.

What about Northern in Manchester? And Tring? I know that Tring often grant a late audition. I think that the training at Tring is good, especially for boys! The problem with these schools, though,  is that there may not be any DaDA places available now but I don't know if that would be an issue for you. 

I'm not sure about Rambert - what do other people think about it from a classical point of view?

You have done really well so far so I hope that you find a solution!

Did you go to the BTUK audition?

I have the prospectus for Northern in Manchester and have been to an open day. In my honest opinion, the ballet looked very weak.

Thank you for telling me about Tring! I will get on to them straight away RE an audition. What exactly does DaDA stand for?

Yes I went to the BTUK audition, it was held in a college nearby the official school as it is still being built.

Thank you

Are you still dancing with Yorkshire ballet scholarship centre? One of the trustees, Sharon Hancox, teaches at York Dance Works, I know Rebecca Davies School of Dance has had pupils go onto further training, there's also Patricia Veale School of Dance and Red Shoes School of Dance. There are other dance schools but these are the schools that me / my dd know students at. You could also try websites for the main dance organisations (eg IDTA, RAD, ISTD etc to try to find schools nearer to yourself.

Yes I am. Thank you for recommending all these schools, I will check them all out individually! 

Thank you 

Guest Autumn days

DaDA is short for Dance and Drama Award and is the means tested funding available to help with fees etc.

You are being very discerning - a good thing!!

Welcome to this forum . I remember you from BBO at Elm . I cannot pm you - don't know why - but if you pm me I can reply that way . I have several suggestions in your area

Oh wonderful! Ms Packham? Apologies if not. I have PM'd you.

Rambert advertise themselves as training equally for classical and contemporary.  The truth is that in today's world there are few purely classical jobs.  Even from Central, in the last few years, some of the boys have gained classical contracts but others have gone into contemporary dance.

• Like 1

Rambert advertise themselves as training equally for classical and contemporary.  The truth is that in today's world there are few purely classical jobs.  Even from Central, in the last few years, some of the boys have gained classical contracts but others have gone into contemporary dance.

Yes very true. Central's contemporary faculty are just as strong as their classical faculty! I was just wondering whether this was the case at Rambert, as their main point of concentration is classical. 

Hello Danseur96 and welcome from me too. We do not recommend that people openly display contact details here as the forum is visible to all, not just to Forum Members. For this reason I have hidden your post in which you published your email address.

Kind regards,

When my dd auditioned this year for Rambert, the director made a point of emphasizing that there is equal emphasis on both classical ballet and contemporary. No bad thing given that dancers really need versatility. I believe Rambert are still accepting applications.

Guest dancer2027

Hi danseur, did you go to your btuk audition? If so how did it go?

I am most likely heading there this sept, when you accept you are sent lots of information including a copy of the proposed timetable which has ballet classes every day, body conditioning, jazz, contemporary, pas de deux and pointe/men technique and fitness, it is very ballet focused and the impression I get is they are aiming to steer students down the classical route whilst keeping their options wide.

It is a risk, but sometimes it is good to go somewhere new, nobody has any preconceptions about it, nobody can judge it or put you off because nobody knows, you go in with a clear head and make what you make of your training

Just wanted to give you some more info, good luck x

• Like 2

You could contact the Lesley Swaby Dance Centre and Simone Clarkes school both in Yorkshire. Google them is probably best they will point you in the right direction. Both very good teachers. What about the Kare Simmons school too. All Yorkshire. Good luck lots of good advice here :)

Edited by balletqs
  • Like 1

Hi Danseur,

Well done on everything you've achieved so far, and your determination to follow your dreams :-)

Do try Rambert - perhaps you could give their office a ring and explain your situation. I think they may have finished the last auditions today, but I'm not entirely certain on this and they might still see you even if this is the case.

They definitely take dancers who have had less experience but lots of potential, especially guys! I don't think your situation would be especially unusual among some of the male students there. Some of the men in the current 1st year are in their early 20s, so you definitely wouldn't be too old for some time to come :-)

As far as classical and contemporary is concerned, Rambert do treat both genres absolutely equally. And they also treat each dancer as an individual. Some of the students there, especially the ones from places like Japan, have not done much contemporary before they arrive at the school and are VERY into their classical ballet. Obviously some students prefer the contemporary and intend to follow that path once they graduate, but plenty go into classical ballet as well as companies such as Matthew Bourne and Ballet Boyz.  

Good luck!

• Like 2

What about London Russian Ballet school. They offer full time and I think residential training. The main teacher is a man who was a principle dancer with the Bolshoi. It appears you want a classical training but the doors to the leading classical schools are now not an option.This school can offer you excellent training. Google the school.

• Like 2