Ballet training in the UK

balletla

Wonderful post Zacharovitti and a timely reminder to us in the UK how lucky we are when it comes to facilities to train dancers.

Good luck to you and your dd. Who knows she may take a place at the Royal Ballet School one day. Not sure if there were any new Italians in this years intake but last year there were 5 Italian students out of the 90 students at Upper School. (Am talking over all 3 years.)

I think its great that the best students train together regardless of nationality!

• Like 3

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much for your kind replies and welcomes......I feel less alone now. Since my DD started to train seriously, I looked for Italian forums on web, to share my doubts with other parents, but I didn't find any.....till I met you! It's so nice the feeling of being part of a community that understands you and your child, supports you, helps you and is truly happy for your progress...!

I appreciate very much the comments about my English.....my self-esteem is growing up quickly!

• Like 16

Wonderful post Zacharovitti and a timely reminder to us in the UK how lucky we are when it comes to facilities to train dancers.

Good luck to you and your dd. Who knows she may take a place at the Royal Ballet School one day. Not sure if there were any new Italians in this years intake but last year there were 5 Italian students out of the 90 students at Upper School. (Am talking over all 3 years.)

I think its great that the best students train together regardless of nationality!

There are 8 Italian students in the first year intake into RBS Upper School this year.

• Like 2

Loved the SAB documentary - thank you for posting it, Balleteacher.

It was also interesting to see that in the really fast sections as well as in allegro pointe work - that heel did not come down to fully contact the floor.

There has been quite a bit of discussion over the years as to whether Balanchine taught this or it somehow it was erroneously attributed to him.  A friend of mine who is a retired NYCB Principal Dancer, when she returned to teach as a guest teacher at the school, asked Balanchine about this.  She told me he emphatically stated the heel should contact the floor fully.

And, yet, others claim otherwise.  Why would it make a difference?  I read - but cannot personnally vouch for it - that when Baryshnikov joined the company he found that not putting the heel down severely tested his Achilles tendon and he had to leave the company (by mutual agreement) sooner than the contract originally stated.

For a dancer trained to put the heel down suddenly having to change this basic technique, it could be a serious issue.

• Like 5

I noticed that too. Was it simply that there was not time in the enchainements seen in the video? Or that the teachers were looking for deeper plié at the expense of the heels?

It's an interesting topic of discussion amongst dance scientists at the moment. Most technique teachers would be horrified by the suggestion of ballet dancers NOT putting their heels down, but those more curious/inquisitive scientists are asking why this is, or where this 'rule' came from. Some say that a sprinter, hurdler or jumper (concerned therefore with maximum power to project themselves as far up or forwards as they can) never puts their heels down - the reason for this is that you apparently get a more efficient push-off into a jump from a position with the heel slightly lifted.

There is also now some consensus within biomechanics research that if you fully stretch a muscle immediately before contracting it, that the power produced is reduced. This therefore suggests that forcing the heels down in plié would reduce the height in a subsequent jump.

Personally I felt that the heels lifting as much as in the SAB footage looked untidy, and ballet is of course an aesthetic art form. Perhaps I prefer a tidy plié and a slightly lower jump in my ballet dancers!

• Like 3

I noticed that too. Was it simply that there was not time in the enchainements seen in the video? Or that the teachers were looking for deeper plié at the expense of the heels?

It's an interesting topic of discussion amongst dance scientists at the moment. Most technique teachers would be horrified by the suggestion of ballet dancers NOT putting their heels down, but those more curious/inquisitive scientists are asking why this is, or where this 'rule' came from. Some say that a sprinter, hurdler or jumper (concerned therefore with maximum power to project themselves as far up or forwards as they can) never puts their heels down - the reason for this is that you apparently get a more efficient push-off into a jump from a position with the heel slightly lifted.

There is also now some consensus within biomechanics research that if you fully stretch a muscle immediately before contracting it, that the power produced is reduced. This therefore suggests that forcing the heels down in plié would reduce the height in a subsequent jump.

Personally I felt that the heels lifting as much as in the SAB footage looked untidy, and ballet is of course an aesthetic art form. Perhaps I prefer a tidy plié and a slightly lower jump in my ballet dancers!

It seems to me that the goals for a sprinter, hurdler or jumper is quite different than for a ballet dancer.  They have basically one or two goals: speed and/or power  but almost always within the same movement (hurdling, for instance)  and within same direction.  The dancer, however, sometimes needs power for a high jump, at other times speed for petit allegro and very often changes of direction.  And sometimes all of the above.

Thus, while the hurdler (for instance) has two basic techniques to learn - running and jumping - all in the same direction, the ballet dancer has many goals to accomplish.  This, I think, puts additional strain on the body and the incorporation of technique.  

I do know that when I or my students - or Baryshnikov dancing with NYCB - didn't put our heels down, Achilles tendonitis was often the result.  

Now, one might ask - how come the dancers at NYCB don't have this problem?  Well, I'm not sure we know that they don't.

Interesting debate of the use of demi-pointe instead of heels fully down.

I have noticed that this years Prix de Lausanne's 2nd prize winner used the releves from demi-pointe when doing the last arabesque bits of the first Shade's variation from La Bayadere _

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUQJBD6iRzQ

Then , in Bolshoi version, the same arabesque releves are done with  her heel fully down each time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBGYLVhW2lQ

The first dancer (15 years old) is trained in Japan...

Edited by mimi66

My teacher would kill me too, if I was caught without putting my heels down... (hasten to add that I would not be dancing that variation anyway - not anywhere good enough).

I just remembered that, there are a lot of ex-ABT dancers on the judge panel at this year's Prix de Lausanne - indeed the head judge was the head of ABT school. 

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 1

I think you may mean SAB, Mimi, which would make sense with the heel down/up debate!

Yes, you are right, Regattah... I got a bit confused here...

So the SAB connection to this year's Prix is Kay Mazzo - co-chairman of Faculty.  When I refferred to ex-ABT dancers I was thinking of Alex Ferri and Julio Bocca, so I don't think there is any SAB connections here.

• Like 1

Some fascinating posts here. We live in Japan and according to DD's teacher, a Brit who has lived here for over 20 years, the level of ballet is very high technically but less so artistically. There are ballet competitions (concours) held all over the country throughout the year, and students from Japan often feature in the Prix de Lausanne. This year Japanese dancers finished 1st(M), 2nd(F) and 6th(M).

From a personal point of view, I think that DD is getting a balance of both East and West, the high technical demands and work ethic of the former, and the expression and imagination of the latter. She also does summer schools in the UK which we both love.

FYI she went on pointe at 11y 9m. I delayed it as long as possible. I took her to the doctor for X-rays so we could check if her bones had ossified sufficiently. All her peers were on pointe before her so I wasn't popular. B)

Here's an article relevant to our discussion which might deserve a thread of its own. Did anyone catch them in Ealing?

"Ballet's Gillian Lynne and Beryl Grey: Dancers should be pushed to the limit"

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/feb/12/ballet-grand-dames-gillian-lynne-bery-grey-push-dancers-limit 

Half of that article makes me really angry although I agree with the last part - but my feelings are summed up in a couple of comments made by someone else on the Guardian page itself: "alright for them, but the ones who were physically ruined by it had to leave and suffered in anonymity, we won't hear from them - the famous ones of the past are a self-selecting group for whom that regime worked fine, and we only hear from them" and "Some of those "underweight" dancers ended up with osteoporosis decades earlier than they should have. Today's dancers benefit from the same improved knowledge of the human body that athletes now have available to them."

• Like 7

This seems to happen in all disciplines though- it reminds me very much of the huffing that went on in the medical profession when it was suggested that junior Drs shouldn't be expected to work 100 hours weeks. A kind of 'I had to do it so don't be so wet' attitude. The fact that the evidence shows that as a result many Drs dropped out, had nervous breakdowns or accidentally killed their patients is quietly forgotten. I guess it's a kind of jealousy on the part of those who survived the old (more terrible) system- they feel somehow unrewarded or undervalued if they sense that it's now 'easier'.....

• Like 7

Sorry about that folks.

I really agree with the points you both made re the previous article. But I wonder whether we/I sometimes wrap our children in cotton wool, not just in a ballet context.

Here's a link to another article with relevance to many of the themes on this excellent thread:

"Why do dancers get injured so often?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/dance/10580011/Why-do-dancers-get-injured-so-often.html

Looking forward to your insights as always.

• Like 3

I think there are a couple of things in play when it comes to injuries.  From what I've read dancers didn't use to perform as frequently s they do now.  Natalia Makarova mentions this in her autobiography 

Time off was truly time off - not just an opportunity to dance somewhere else.

The technical demands were not as consuming.  Turnout was not as severe.  Extensions were not as high, jumps not as complex, lifts not as daring, etc.

I'm not sure how  valid it is to compare dance to sport.  Many sports have some sort of protective gear either worn or part of the set up.  It usually doesn't matter how one looks while scoring a point.  The venue is often very specialized.    

However, that doesn't mean we should not be ready to learn whatever there may be that might aid the dancer.  

• Like 1