In 2013/2014 Season, who would be your Romeo and Juliet in a UK Ballet Company?

So, if we're talking any dancers from any companies - Max Westwell and Callie Roberts.

Both young, talented and good looking ;-)

(Bear in mind, I don't watch enough ballet to know all the dancers really well, but I know they'd fit my "brief")

• Like 2

Oooo Nana Lily, that's an interesting question.  Into the realms of fantasy!

From BRB:  Momoko Hirata, Callie Roberts, Laura Jane Gibson, Maureya Lebowitz, Tyrone Singleton, Steven Monteith, Mathias Dingman, Lachlan Monaghan

From NB:  Dreda Blow, Antoinette Brooks Daw, Lori Gilchrist, Abby Prudames, Javier Torres, Ashley Dixon, John Hull, Nicola Gervasi

Nothing to do with R&J but a few of us were nattering in Leeds last week and we all agreed that Martha Leebolt is born to dance the role of Tatiana in Onegin.  In fact we would love to see NB do Onegin!

• Like 1

I would absolutely love to see Max Westwell dance Romeo. ENB aren't doing the Nureyev version next year as they're doing R&J in the round, but I do hope Max gets cast as Romeo.

I agree about Martha Leebolt, by the way - she'd be a superb Tatiana. As would ENB's Elena Glurdjidze, IMHO.

• Like 2

For chemistry which transcends the footlights as well as for their beautiful dancing: Daria and Vadim.

Otherwise, one can come up with wonderful established Juliets (Elena; Alina - both to be on show, surely, at the RAH next June) or potentially wonderful Juliets (Natalia;Yuhui; Francesca; Nancy). But it is difficult to envisage them dancing with the other convincing Romeos (such as Ed and Rupert) - although I suppose Ivan (Putrov) still meets the UK criterion and he was superb, in my view, in the RB's 2007 run

By the way, in case there is room for doubt, Max danced Romeo to Sarah McIlroy's Juliet when ENB staged Nureyev's R&J three years ago.

But you haven't yet answered your own question, NanaLily!

• Like 1

Yes indeed capybara; his performance in the Agony and Ecstasy documentary looked wonderful - which is why I'm sad that instead of doing Nureyev's production at the Coli, ENB are doing R&J in the round at the less accessible (both in terms of disabled access and location) Royal Albert Hall. :-(

I would have loved to have seen Max dance Romeo at the Coli.

The last R&J I saw was Cojacaru/Kobborg but am convinced I will see superb new partnerships this season at RB. Yes, I have a ticket for Acosta/Osipova on December but that's not my dream cast! My dream cast is Hamilton/Watson - I'm so excited to be seeing this cast. For me, they are both such incredibly powerful dance actors.

Edited by nottsballetlover
  • Like 2

The last R&J I saw was Cojacaru/Kobborg but am convinced I will see superb new partnerships this season at RB. Yes, I have a ticket for Acosta/Osipova on December but that's not my dream cast! My dream cast is Hamilton/Watson - I'm so excited to be seeing this cast. For me, they are both such incredibly powerful dance actors.

bit behind with r&j was with miyako yoshida & valeri hristov 2007/08 season

And I'm hoping she'll have relaxed into the role a bit more this time around.

I didn't see them together last time, but i've booked for them this time. Can't see them being well paired together, and I can't see Watson as a romantic lead, but i'm looking forward to seeing them, and hopefully being proved wrong. It's a shame she isn't dancing with her original Romeo, Rupert, as they have a lot of chemistry.

I wish i'd seen Rojo as Juliet as everyone raves about her in that role.

Edited by chrischris
  • Like 1

I didn't see them together last time, but i've booked for them this time. Can't see them being well paired together, and I can't see Watson as a romantic lead, but i'm looking forward to seeing them, and hopefully being proved wrong. It's a shame she isn't dancing with her original Romeo, Rupert, as they have a lot of chemistry.

I wish i'd seen Rojo as Juliet as everyone raves about her in that role.

I saw Rojo & Acosta as R&J a few years ago and  it was the most moving performance I have seen.  I am going to try Nunez & Soares this season.  Dream cast?  I'm not sure yet

OK - this thread has drifted sufficiently for me to propose Paula Alonso and Denis Puzanov from Cathy Marston's Bern:Ballet production of Julia und Romeo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_p60al8GsM

NB the inversion in the title, and that Paula was the young Annamiggeli in Witch Hunt at the Linbury back in May.

• Like 1

Not sure that would work - can you see Friar Lawrence performing a same-sex marriage?  And the rival clan problem would hardly be noticed.

Ah but Friar Lawrence is not of our times. A lady Bishop from Wales should be available soon. Clans are more difficult people in same sex relationships do seem to be wiser than Hetros. There were two aggressive gay men in some episodes of Seinfeld who could be drafted in.

Ah but Friar Lawrence is not of our times. A lady Bishop from Wales should be available soon. Clans are more difficult *people in same sex relationships do seem to be wiser than Hetros.*There were two aggressive gay men in some episodes of Seinfeld who could be drafted in.

Bit in asterixes could be construed as a bit of a generalisation!