Northern Ballet - Romeo and Juliet (Gable/Moricone) - on tour

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Now the cast lists have been released does anyone have any recommendations? I only intend to see one performance. I'm inclining towards Dominque Larose & Joseph Taylor.

After Saturday afternoon I would too!

Saturday evening should be a bit special as it will be Abi Prudames valedictory performance.  She will be partnered by Joe Taylor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your reply @Jan McNulty. As this will be my first time seeing Northern Ballet I don't feel it would be very emotionally appropriate to go to the farewell performance of a dancer I've never seen before; the tickets for that should be left for her fans. I accidentally attended Thiago Soares's farewell performance back in 2020, having booked before his retirement was announced, and as it was the first time I'd seen him dance I found it emotionally odd.

Edited by Dawnstar
Added last sentence.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Now the cast lists have been released does anyone have any recommendations? I only intend to see one performance. I'm inclining towards Dominque Larose & Joseph Taylor.

I've booked in advance for Wednesday evening in the hope of seeing Harris Beattie and luckily that's one of his performances. 

Am also going to the Saturday matinee.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I wanted to see different dancers I haven't had a chance to see this season or last season, so I booked 3 casts for the dancers portraying Romeo/Juliet/Mercutio as well as supporting characters: Larose/Taylor, Chun/Poeung, Shirai/Beattie. I did have this weird sixth sense that Abigail Prudames might be planning her farewell with a performance of Romeo and Juliet, but unfortunately can't do Saturday night. So I've booked one of her performances as Lady Capulet.

It's hard to say whom you will like most,  @Dawnstar, but Prudames, Larose and Taylor are probably the most experienced leads out of all the casts in London, and I think you'll like them; plus, you will still see many of the  excellent soloists and artists in other roles even if not as Romeo or Juliet. However, having seen the other leads in other ballets on stage or online, I think you'll enjoy whichever cast you pick - I'm not saying that as lip service; I genuinely believe that for this cohort of dancers. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

It's hard to say whom you will like most,  @Dawnstar, but Prudames, Larose and Taylor are probably the most experienced leads out of all the casts in London, I think you'll like them; plus, you will still see many of the  excellent soloists and artists in other roles even if not as Romeo or Juliet.

Yes, it feels like, given I don't wish to see Prudames' farewell performance, Larose & Taylor are the safest bet. I've booked for Thursday, as that seems to have the slightly "starrier" supporting cast out of their 2 performances, with Prudames as Lady Capulet & Beattie as Mercutio.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MJW said:

I've booked in advance for Wednesday evening in the hope of seeing Harris Beattie and luckily that's one of his performances. 

Am also going to the Saturday matinee.

I'm seeing Harris Beattie too, MJW, but on Friday night rather than Wednesday. He was vey much a stand-out in Northern Ballet's Linbury programme last Autumn so I am very happy with Wednesday's casting, all the more so having read Jan McNulty's review of not only Harris but the rest of that cast, too. Many thanks, Jan.

• Like 3

Harris Beattie is an incredible young dancer. So believable as Romeo and with such a great technique.  I was mesmerised with his performance and I have to say he is one of the most exciting dancer I've seen in years! 

For those undecided which cast to see I recommend Harris Beattie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you, Eve.  I suppose it's too much to hope that they've indicated where the changes are?  I couldn't see anything obvious on the dates I was aiming for.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, alison said:

Thank you, Eve.  I suppose it's too much to hope that they've indicated where the changes are?  I couldn't see anything obvious on the dates I was aiming for.

The cast for Saturday matinee has changed; Harris B is performing as Romeo (possibly same main cast as Wednesday as I'm going to both performances)

Edited by MJW
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, alison said:

Yes I think there are now only two Romeos performing: so now Joe 4 shows and Harris 3- as a result Harris isn't performing Mercutio that week on Thurs and Sat night as originally advertised.

Edited by EveM
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, EveM said:

Yes I think there are now only two Romeos performing: so now Joe 4 shows and Harris 3- as a result Harris isn't performing Mercutio that week on Thurs and Sat night as originally advertised.

Joe 4 shows with 3 Juliets….  Superman or what!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Thank you @EveM. So, no Kevin Poeung at all. Abigail Prudames only dancing Lady Capulet at the Thursday matinee (not Thursday or Friday night) but she is still dancing Juliet on Saturday night.

Only Aaron Kok and Jun Ishii will dance  Mercutio.

Saeka Shirai and Harris Beattie take over from Sarah Chun and Kevin Poeung as Juliet and Romeo at the Sat matinee, Dominique Larose and Joseph Taylor replace Shirai and Beattie on Friday night. That's the gist of the changes I think. Sad not to see Kevin Poeung at all (again)...I might have to do some juggling around to avoid having almost the same cast repeatedly and to catch different dancers. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Also Larose & Taylor are now not dancing Thursday night. I booked only 3 days ago to see them then. Since I can't swap my ticket, as I bought it using the TodayTix offer, I guess that's £65 down the drain.

Edited by Dawnstar
Typo

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Also Larose & Taylor are now not dancing Thursday night. I booked only 3 days ago to see them then. Since I can't swap my ticket, as I bought it using the TodayTix offer, I guess that's £65 down the drain.

Do you already have tickets to see Saeka Shirai and Harris Beattie, Dawnstar - if you don't, I would highly recommend them. I've seen them both In other ballets with different partners and they will make a wonderful pairing as Romeo and Juliet: both the right age, where they look young enough to be convincing yet confident and experienced enough to project the story. Shirai is simply exquisite in her dancing and artistry, Beattie is astonishing in his depth of talent and portrays that youthful impetuousity quality very well- just right for the character of Romeo. Actually my bookings have just had them both substituted to another day and I'm going to try to see if the box office will let me swap to get them back. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I gather you chose the Larose & Taylor partnership on recommendation, Dawnstar, not because you know the dancers; so there's no guarantee that you would have liked them together more than the pairing you will now be seeing (and I see that @Jan McNulty found Sarah Chun 'just divine' when she saw her Juliet). Responses to dancers are individual. But I understand that it's frustrating to have the cast changed when you've only just booked to see them! (Given the cast change, would they definitely not swap your ticket?).

• Like 1

I can only attend on one date and so ‘my’ cast was chosen for me.

Who is to say that more cast changes may not occur as the week progresses?
However, from the accounts of those who have already seen this production it is not to be missed and, the casts are all stellar, so I am confident that whoever dances it will be worth the trip.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Does anybody know the running time at Sadlers Wells? 

LinMM, the SWT website says "2h 30 mins including two 20 minute intervals" so that's pretty good for catching public transport. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

LinMM, the SWT website says "2h 30 mins including two 20 minute intervals" so that's pretty good for catching public transport. 

We’ve been getting out around 10pm after a 7:30 start.

I expect Saturday evening will be later as it is Abby’s valedictory performance.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Do you already have tickets to see Saeka Shirai and Harris Beattie, Dawnstar - if you don't, I would highly recommend them. I've seen them both In other ballets with different partners and they will make a wonderful pairing as Romeo and Juliet: both the right age, where they look young enough to be convincing yet confident and experienced enough to project the story. Shirai is simply exquisite in her dancing and artistry, Beattie is astonishing in his depth of talent and portrays that youthful impetuousity quality very well- just right for the character of Romeo. Actually my bookings have just had them both substituted to another day and I'm going to try to see if the box office will let me swap to get them back. 

No, I'm only intending to see one performance. If I was going to see multiple ones then I wouldn't mind so much about casting but as I'm only seeing the one I'd rather see the cast I'd already decided on.

8 hours ago, bridiem said:

I gather you chose the Larose & Taylor partnership on recommendation, Dawnstar, not because you know the dancers; so there's no guarantee that you would have liked them together more than the pairing you will now be seeing (and I see that @Jan McNulty found Sarah Chun 'just divine' when she saw her Juliet). Responses to dancers are individual. But I understand that it's frustrating to have the cast changed when you've only just booked to see them! (Given the cast change, would they definitely not swap your ticket?).

Unfortunately I took advantage of the TodayTix offer & booked via that, as it saved £10 plus however much the Sadler's Wells booking fee is, so swapping isn't possible. In hindsight definitely a false economy!

Posted (edited)

Might still switch back to your original cast, @Dawnstar! As with these things, casting never guaranteed until curtain up, and sometimes even then could change during the show, as mid show injuries occasionally happen (we hope not, but occasionally they do). I am debating about perhaps not switching. Would offer to take your ticket and give you mine except a) I can't go Thursday night at all, b) my tickets (currently Larose/Taylor after the cast changes) are in the area you usually avoid (upstairs and far away). 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

Thanks @Emeralds. If the leads I'd booked for weren't dancing at all due to injuries then I'd accept that but as they are still dancing on other dates & therefore evidently aren't injured then I would like to see them. I'm not going to rebook for a couple of days, until the run starts, in case the casts get moved around again!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks @Emeralds. If the leads I'd booked for weren't dancing at all due to injuries then I'd accept that but as they are still dancing on other dates & therefore evidently aren't injured then I would like to see them. I'm not going to rebook for a couple of days, until the run starts, in case the casts get moved around again!

Northern Ballet has 38 dancers (which includes 1 character dancer and 2 apprentices).  

Due to an injury, one of the four and a half casts has not performed this season.

Due to another more recent injury half of one of the scheduled casts is now off.  The injured dancer also performs Mercutio in other casts.

Obviously no one would want Abby Prudames valedictory to be messed up.

In other tour venues Joe has also danced Tybalt and Lord Capulet very effectively but that is not now practicable.

Northern Ballet has obviously had to juggle with the casting order so that Joe at least has some recovery time between his 4 Romeos with 3 Juliets and that includes the possible rescheduling of Mercutios, Lord Capulets and Tybalts as well as resulting shuffling to cover those roles.  

It's unfortunate but, sadly, that is touring life in a smaller company.

I don't have any inside knowledge about casting and I have made some assumptions from having seen 12 performances on the current tour.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hee hee! Jan that’s a thought! 

Once when dancing as an amateur I had to play Franz in Coppelia for a couple of performances and the teachers husband got roped in for Dr. Coppelius. It was actually great fun in the end but naughty Dr. Coppelius was doing his best to make me laugh in the scenes where he was “taking  my life force” for his doll!! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I’ve been put on standby!

I'm sure I could do the Nurse or a character part if they're looking for volunteers!  I always thought that Nurse looked the most fun part to have. 

NB are also straight into Beauty and the Beast in Leeds next week so they have to keep something in reserve for those performances as they don't have a lot of recovery time in between.  

• Like 1