Press Release: English National Ballet presents Johan Inger's Carmen - UK Premiere

9 hours ago, FionaM said:

This version did win the Benois de La Danse for choreography in 2016.  

The first few lines of this review are encouraging:

Choreographer Johan Inger’s Carmen is one we have never seen: a Carmen turned inside out. In this danced-through reimagining of the world’s most-popular opera, we are pulled into the characters’ inner turmoil. Their dancing gets under our skin, at times deliberately unsettling us.

https://theconversation.com/a-brutal-nightmarish-carmen-imbues-an-old-story-with-contemporary-resonances-113354

The whole ballet can be found on YouTube, performed by the Spanish company on whom it was created. 

reading this review, I find that at least one ENB dancer is already familiar with this piece, giving us a clue to casting

: "falling into the arms of the super sexy and tall Zúñiga (Gareth Haw)".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, FionaM said:

This version did win the Benois de La Danse for choreography in 2016.  

The first few lines of this review are encouraging:

Choreographer Johan Inger’s Carmen is one we have never seen: a Carmen turned inside out. In this danced-through reimagining of the world’s most-popular opera, we are pulled into the characters’ inner turmoil. Their dancing gets under our skin, at times deliberately unsettling us.

https://theconversation.com/a-brutal-nightmarish-carmen-imbues-an-old-story-with-contemporary-resonances-113354

The whole ballet can be found on YouTube, performed by the Spanish company on whom it was created. 

It's weird to say this as I normally find YouTube clips useful but it's the one of the few times I've watched something and said "I was going to give it a chance before, but now that I have seen the recording, I'm really not keen at all"! Sadly the excerpt of his work that Australian Ballet brought further cemented that impression!

I wish they were performing something from the Forsythe or Neumeier repertoire that the company didn't dance last year, or a new Forsythe aquisitionor at least the Roland Petit Carmen, which is already in the  company repertoire. I'm not saying Inger is not a good choreographer but I do think there's a lot of great works that ENB have in their repertoire that haven't been danced much and would suit this current cohort of dancers better.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, PeterS said:

perhaps they will be guesting at Sadlers Wells with ENB

No, they're learning it for AusBallet's upcoming performances in Sydney, 10-27 April (I asked Jill). It makes sense for them to go to London to join ENB in learning and rehearsing the piece rather than for Inger and his team to spread themselves too thin and travel all the way out here.

Ten or so years ago when AusBallet revived The Dream, a small group travelled to London to learn it from Sir Anthony Dowell (who apparently doesn't like flying).

It would be extraordinarily disrespectful to the ENB dancers if Elmes and Harvey, in particular, both just promoted from the corps to coryphée a month or so ago, were to guest in lead roles.

Edited by Sophoife
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There are some amusing posts from Australian Ballet on social media with their principal ballerina Dimity Azoury chatting about Carmen rehearsals. I'd definitely pay to see Dimity guesting with ENB (am sure they can spare 1 show without anyone else being overly disadvantaged)! 😀

• Like 1

I see from their social media posting today that we may possibly have Takahashi and Suzuki as two of the possible Carmens....and I think Coloma as either Don Jose or Escamillo. No sign of casting yet. It looks very contemporary dance (and not the kind I usually like). Will have to wait and see if we get any excerpts on video. And to see the full casting. Their post of Shiori Kase in Coppelia today makes me wish we were actually getting Ronald Hynd's Coppelia in March!

• Like 2

@Emeralds I too was peering at that video a bit earlier trying to identify dancers. Given the style of the choreography, I'm thinking I should start hoping dancers I like don't get cast as then I can skip seeing it without feeling guilty! I had the same thought about Coppelia.

• Like 1

From the video, I spotted Erina Takahashi with Aitor Arrieta, Emily Suzuki with Fernando Carratala Coloma, Ivana Bueno with Francesco Gabriele Frola and Minju Kang with Rentaro Nakaaki.  There is a couple rehearsing in the background who I assume were some of the dancers from Australian Ballet who have been rehearsing with the company.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Irmgard said:

From the video, I spotted Erina Takahashi with Aitor Arrieta, Emily Suzuki with Fernando Carratala Coloma, Ivana Bueno with Francesco Gabriele Frola and Minju Kang with Rentaro Nakaaki.  There is a couple rehearsing in the background who I assume were some of the dancers from Australian Ballet who have been rehearsing with the company.

Yes, they are. Off-the-shoulder black top and blue leggings girl and DREADFUL haircut boy with beautiful large eyes: principals Jill Ogai and Callum Linnane.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

@Emeralds I too was peering at that video a bit earlier trying to identify dancers. Given the style of the choreography, I'm thinking I should start hoping dancers I like don't get cast as then I can skip seeing it without feeling guilty! I had the same thought about Coppelia.

Which Coppelia, Dawnstar- I assume you mean the Jessica Wright & Morgann Runacre-Temple one at Scottish Ballet and not the ENB one by Ronald Hynd (since that was last staged in full in 2014 and I doubt you would have bypassed that one)? 

Sadly, no disrespect at all to Mr Inger but the video now makes me wish it was the Petit Carmen plus something else like La Jeune Homme et al Mort or/and L'Arlesienne and/or Theme and Variations being danced at Sadler's Wells. Or indeed Coppelia! The Inger Carmen looks more like it belongs on a contemporary dance company. I don't hear a clamour of voices saying they're desperate to see it on ENB. With Mats Ek & Pina Bausch I can at least see why ENB were keen to work with contemporary dance legends. 

3 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Yes, they are. Off-the-shoulder black top and blue leggings girl and DREADFUL haircut boy with beautiful large eyes: principals Jill Ogai and Callum Linnane.

Sophoife, maybe it's a dreadful non-haircut (ie waiting to be cut)? 😉 

Now that you've picked Jill and Callum out, I'm going to watch the video again, concentrating on the back! 

Edited by Emeralds

3 hours ago, Sophoife said:

No, Callum has beeyootiful curly hair and he's had this awful haircut. This is what he looks like normally, @Emeralds (still from video of his promotion to principal after Anna Karenina in 2022).images(25).jpeg.3439e986bb86a7aa6f7a77a4c3cd6f14.jpeg

Do you meant the opposite-his hair has been chopped off? Oh no! I liked his hair in your photo, when he danced Vronsky. It still looked like that on the London tour. I had a look at the rehearsal video again twice and still couldn't see him properly. Saw Jill's blue leggings but couldn't even see her face clearly. I did have more fun watching Jill on the company Fb video preparing for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, wearing the Queen of Hearts' red pointe shoes! 

Edited by Emeralds

Yes, no pointe shoes and a modernised score are not the attraction ENB might think. Bizet wrote lovely music, I'm not so keen on what people have done to it to revise and update it.  

I wasn't hugely keen and I am less keen now.  I think not worth a trip to London for me, but I will be interested to hear what people think.  

• Like 4

per the ENB website, running time is: 

1 hour 30 minutes including one interval

which, in theory,  makes it almost possible to do two shows nightly. 

although, the Sadlers Wells website has it differently as:

Running Time

1 hour 50 minutes (including one 20 minute interval)

Edited by PeterS
additional info
  • Thanks 1

I think we've already had matador/Escamillo as rock star in Carlos Acosta's version (who even signs autographs and has paparazzi following him) which has been mounted in London, Cuba and other tour venues so Inger is about 10 years too late. I see some tickets have sold so it's about neck and neck with Creature as far as revenue goes at themoment.

Maybe some attendees who haven't seen the Petit, Alonso, Ek versions or indeed the Acosta version, nor the opera, or Carmen Jones, or various figure skating versions, are happy to give it a try. Inger's style (from what I saw at Australian Ballet's gala programme and online from CND's performances) is really not my cup of tea. If it was part of a mixed bill it would be ok but not if it's the entire show. I'll see what our members' reviews, dance publications and newspaper reviews say.....maybe a phenomenal performance might change my mind.

3 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Inger's style (from what I saw at Australian Ballet's gala programme and online from CND's performances) is really not my cup of tea. If it was part of a mixed bill it would be ok but not if it's the entire show. I'll see what our members' reviews, dance publications and newspaper reviews say...

I’d say it sounds very much the cup of tea of the newspaper reviewers. Less so mine. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scheherezade said:

I’d say it sounds very much the cup of tea of the newspaper reviewers. Less so mine. 

Hopefully they'll like it and encourage other people to book! I do know some people (not in Britain though- and they would never travel for a ballet) who would like this style.... so hopefully there are lots of people in the Southeast with tastes completely different to ours who will see the reviews or marketing and attend. 11 performances is a lot of seats to fill, although SWT does have regulars used to contemporary dance and experimental work so maybe......

Talking of Inger's style, it's worth mentioning that there is still a link in the streaming calendar to his (what I presume is a reworking of) Swan Lake (which I still haven't got around to watching).

3 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I think we've already had matador/Escamillo as rock star in Carlos Acosta's version (who even signs autographs and has paparazzi following him) which has been mounted in London, Cuba and other tour venues so Inger is about 10 years too late. I see some tickets have sold so it's about neck and neck with Creature as far as revenue goes at themoment.

Acosta must have seen Northern Ballet's version choreographed by Didy Veldman - her matador was a rock star and I believe her production pre-dates the Acosta version.  I've still got the CD single that was a give-away somewhere!

• Like 3

I’m looking forward to seeing this production and will approach it with an open mind.
It’s always good to see something new. If it’s ballet or dance, it has the potential to entertain, to please and amaze.

I can’t make up my mind about something, let alone judge or criticise it before I’ve seen it “in the flesh”.
As there are potentially 4 casts to see, the test will be whether I want to return more than once. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Acosta must have seen Northern Ballet's version choreographed by Didy Veldman - her matador was a rock star and I believe her production pre-dates the Acosta version.  I've still got the CD single that was a give-away somewhere!

Oh yes, thank you for that reminder @Jan McNulty- Didy Veldman's version has been in the UK for a long time of course.  So yes, a lot of versions and a few  rock stars or matadors with rock star fame!

I'm not sure why I would watch Akram Khan, Wayne McGregor and Crystal Pite but am not so keen on Inger's work (including the Csrmen on YouTube). I think it just feels a bit meh to me.....but other patrons might like it. 

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested in Inger's work, I've just noticed from the streaming calendar that his "take" on Swan Lake - which I think some have praised on here - appears to be due to drop off streaming in a day or two. 

7 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Full casting has been announced.  No PR yet but from the ENB website:

https://www.ballet.org.uk/production/carmen/#cast-section

Huge congratulations to Minju!!!!

based on her brilliant dramatic performances at Northern Ballet I was disappointed that she came to ENB at the most junior level of the corps de ballet.  She should be a junior soloist at least!   Maybe it was the only way in.  But still I found it insulting to an artist of her calibre.  I’m really glad that she seems to be on the fast track.

• Like 2

Congratulations and toi toi toi to Minju Kang for opening night! (I got an email but the website is more helpful- the email doesn't say who is dancing which show so I won't waste space posting it).

Edited by Emeralds