Press Release: English National Ballet presents Johan Inger's Carmen - UK Premiere

English National Ballet
Carmen
Sadler’s Wells, London
Wednesday 27 March – Saturday 06 April 2024
www.ballet.org.uk/carmen

English National Ballet presents the UK premiere of Johan Inger’s award-winning Carmen at Sadler’s Wells, London from 27 March – 06 April 

Inger, whose work is rarely seen in the UK, has boldly reimagined the classic tale of seduction and obsession with choreography that combines contemporary and classical movement to powerful effect. 

Nine large movable mirrors frame the action – transporting audiences from a town square through to the troubled mind of Don José. Menace and foreboding loom over the stage, thanks to additional music by Marc Alvarez which complements Bizet and Shchedrin’s classic score, performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic.

Inger has choreographed for major companies around the world, including Nederlands Dans Theater and Spain’s National Dance Company. He won the Prix Benois de la Danse for Carmen. 

Dancers: Emily Suzuki and Junor Souza. Photo © Jason Bell. Creative Direction: Charlotte Wilkinson Studio.

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England.

Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.
Production Sponsor: Cunard 

Listings: 
English National Ballet
Carmen

Sadler’s Wells, London
27 March – 6 April 2024
www.ballet.org.uk/carmen

Creative Team: 
Johan Inger - Choreography
George Bizet - Music
Rodion Shchedrin - Music
Marc Álvarez - Additional original music
Álvaro Domínguez Vázquez - Orchestration
David Delfin - Costume designs
Tom Visser - Lighting Design
Curt Allen Wilmer and Leticia Ganan AAPEE with estudiodeDos - Set Design
Gregor Acuña-Pohl - Dramaturgy
Toby Mallitt - Stager
Urtzi Aranburu - Stager

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet’s growth and evolution ever since.

English National Ballet brings world class ballet to the widest possible audience through performances across the UK and on eminent international stages; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as Dance for Parkinson’s; and through talent development initiatives including Ballet Futures which looks to create a more diverse and inclusive future for the artform.

English National Ballet continues to add ground-breaking new works to its repertoire whilst celebrating the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw the Company enter a new chapter in its history with a move to a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, allowing a renewed commitment to creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before.

• Thanks 2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Asking for casting two months in advance just reminds me, we in Australia are also going to see Johan Inger's Carmen, in Sydney, dates 10-27 April. We certainly don't expect to see principal casting made available until, probably, 5 April.

Link to AusBallet's production page here.

It's quite interesting to read AusBallet's provided info next to ENB's, as it makes no mention that Bizet's score has been augmented, it doesn't mention mirrors, and it doesn't mention the Benois de la Danse!

"Johan Inger’s award-winning production of Carmen is an exhilarating journey that thrusts Georges Bizet’s 19th-century opera into the modern world with a breathtaking display of athleticism and passion.

"Created in 2015, Inger’s contemporary retelling of Prosper Mérimée’s 1845 novella is a darkly compelling story of the dangerously seductive Carmen, whose love affair with Don José ends in brutal tragedy. Broadening its gaze beyond its fiery heroine, Inger’s Carmen is seen through the eyes of a boy bewildered by the ugly manifestations of machismo.

"Using Georges Bizet's famous score, Inger has reimagined the classic opera, transporting it to dance in a fascinating production. Including sublime passages for soloists and duos and ensemble sequences of consummate virtuosity, Carmen brings you the heat of southern Spain in a powerfully unique production.

"Content warning: Carmen contains adult themes."

Production credits

Choreography Johan Inger
Assistant choreographer (creation) Urtzi Aranburu
Dramaturg Gregor Acuña-Pohl
Music Rodion Shchedrin, Marc Álvarez, Georges Bizet orchestrated by Alvaro Dominguez
Lighting design Tom Visser
Decor design Curt Allen Wilmer and Leticia Gañan with estudiodeDos
Costume design David Delfín

World première 9 April 2015, Teatro de la Zarzuela, Madrid, Spain, Compaňia Nacional de Danza Madrid

• Like 1

I must say a recent (last 10 years) spate of disappointing Carmen versions is not making me keen to see this. Also not helped by seeing the original company's YouTube videos- I think it might be one for contemporary dance aficionados.

I rather wish the company were just doing a repeat of their September triple bill (or just Theme and Variations with Four Last Songs!) or something from their back catalogue instead eg In the Middle Somewhat Elevated, Les Sylphides, Approximate Sonata, Spring and Fall, Songs of a Wayfarer, etc. I also wouldn't mind seeing the Akram Khan Giselle again (I lthink London last had it in 2019 which is when I saw it) with new casts (well Isaac Hernandez and Crystal Costa are definitely not dancing with ENB this season). 

I will look out for reviews, clips and photos- perhaps those might change my mind. 

• Like 3

On 31/01/2024 at 20:29, Dawnstar said:

After ENB recently tweeted a clip of Petit's Carmen, and also seeing it on The Magic of Dance, I wish they were doing that version instead!

Me too! Petit's choreography can be a bit "Marmite" for some- a number of people don't  like his style - but I like most of his works and his Four Seasons (set to Vivaldi) actually succeeds in that tough challenge of being choreographed to very well-lnown music but looks good. His Meditation from Thais is gorgeous and comparable to Ashton's.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

And we are unlikely ever to see either of them. 

If a few of the dancers who know it (eg Olga Smirnova) dance the Thais pas de deux in galas we have a good chance of seeing it live (I've only seen it on YouTube!) but I don't think the company he founded, Ballet National de Marseille, has staged The Four Seasons much recently (as far as I know) and there's a real danger of that ballet becoming lost. Autumn (made for Dominique Khalfouni and Denys Ganio- Mathieu Ganio's parents- and a corps de ballet) is particularly fun. 

Edited by Emeralds

Right now I'd find it more useful if they would announce the Carmen casting so I know if I have to go & see it or not. Now the MacMillan triple bill casting is out I'll be seeing that at least once, & quite likely twice, plus one SL during the time Carmen is running so those 10 days are getting rather crowded.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Right now I'd find it more useful if they would announce the Carmen casting so I know if I have to go & see it or not. Now the MacMillan triple bill casting is out I'll be seeing that at least once, & quite likely twice, plus one SL during the time Carmen is running so those 10 days are getting rather crowded.

The company only started learning the piece on Tuesday so it is far too soon to be able to announce casting.  Of course, a number of dancers have been selected for each role but it will be up to Mr. Inger as to which of them are actually given performances. However, let us hope the announcement will be a little bit earlier than that for the triple bill last autumn! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Irmgard said:

The company only started learning the piece on Tuesday so it is far too soon to be able to announce casting.  Of course, a number of dancers have been selected for each role but it will be up to Mr. Inger as to which of them are actually given performances. However, let us hope the announcement will be a little bit earlier than that for the triple bill last autumn! 

I'm interested to hear that it's being done that way around. I would have assumed that the casting was done first & then the dancers were taught the work, with changes to the intended cast only made if there was some major issue during rehearsals. Presumably it must be done that way round for pieces when casting is announced months in advance? It seems unlikely that, for instance, ENB had already started rehearsing Swan Lake for June back in the autumn when that casting was announced.

57 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm interested to hear that it's being done that way around. I would have assumed that the casting was done first & then the dancers were taught the work, with changes to the intended cast only made if there was some major issue during rehearsals. Presumably it must be done that way round for pieces when casting is announced months in advance? It seems unlikely that, for instance, ENB had already started rehearsing Swan Lake for June back in the autumn when that casting was announced.

This is because "Carmen" is a new production for the company.  As I said, dancers have been selected for all the roles but, because Mr. Inger does not know the company, he will put the casts together once he has seen them in rehearsal and will cast the performances from that.  It was completely different for me with "Giselle" as I knew the company so well and was able to put the casts together months in advance of rehearsals.  Likewise, "Swan Lake" is a regular in the repertoire and thus able to be cast well in advance of the performances.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I now feel like emailing ENB asking if they could pass a message on to Johan Inger that ticket sales will be down by one if he doesn't select Frola for Don Jose! 😉

😅😊

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I now feel like emailing ENB asking if they could pass a message on to Johan Inger that ticket sales will be down by one if he doesn't select Frola for Don Jose! 😉

And that the listed casts aren’t shifted around with the random frequency of the Nutcracker and Giselle performances. Please!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Only by one? ;) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I think that could be "down by one hundred" 😉

• Like 2

Well not really brave! 
I don’t know the ballet and how the characters will be brought out by Inger

So going to the opening night is a calculated guess that if will be a very good cast ….even if not Frola lol! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Well not really brave! 
I don’t know the ballet and how the characters will be brought out by Inger

So going to the opening night is a calculated guess that if will be a very good cast ….even if not Frola lol! 

perhaps a Spaniard will be favoured  on opening night of Carmen…?

• Like 1

Having watched the trailer it looks very dated and not very exciting.

Please Mr Watkins would it be possible to have innovative choreographers who, in their use of classical dance, move the art form forward ?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MAX said:

Having watched the trailer it looks very dated and not very exciting.

Please Mr Watkins would it be possible to have innovative choreographers who, in their use of classical dance, move the art form forward ?

I'm not hugely overwhelmed by the trailer.  I want to wait and see what people think before I decide if it's worth a trip to London for.  I am also interested to see what ENB decide to tour this year in case it comes any nearer me.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mary said:

The idea of yet another Carmen is what puts me off and I know I'm not alone.

If it’s a good production then all will be well. 
we’ve just had ‘another’ Giselle (Mary Skeaping’s) and that went well so fingers crossed for Inger’s Carmen….:

also later in the year we’ll be getting another Swan Lake (Derek Deane’s in the round) and then another Swan Lake (State Ballet of Georgia).

Edited by PeterS

Well, Peter, you are entitled to  your opinion,  but I don't think, myself, that all will be well.

Giselle and Swan Lake are part of ballet history and central to the canon so it is not really a fair comparison.

In my view,  Carmen has never been made into a good ballet, and  is a poor choice for a new ballet for so many reasons, not least that it is yet another story about a woman getting killed, but it is also very over-exposed in many forms.

I am no great fan of Wayne McGregor but at least he reads, he thinks,  and he comes up with interesting new sources for new ballets.

So I am not keen on this idea. I wish nothing but well to the company and the dancers, of course.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mary said:

The idea of yet another Carmen is what puts me off and I know I'm not alone.

You are definitely not alone, Mary.  When this production was first announced I said I was going to pass, and I haven't changed my mind.  Too much exposure to it in so many different forms over the decades has just turned me off.  But I do hope it's a success for ENB.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mary said:

Well, Peter, you are entitled to  your opinion,  but I don't think, myself, that all will be well.

Giselle and Swan Lake are part of ballet history and central to the canon so it is not really a fair comparison.

In my view,  Carmen has never been made into a good ballet, and  is a poor choice for a new ballet for so many reasons, not least that it is yet another story about a woman getting killed, but it is also very over-exposed in many forms.

I am no great fan of Wayne McGregor but at least he reads, he thinks,  and he comes up with interesting new sources for new ballets.

So I am not keen on this idea. I wish nothing but well to the company and the dancers, of course.

well, until I’ve seen it I’ll approach it with an open mind. 

• Like 2

This version did win the Benois de La Danse for choreography in 2016.  

The first few lines of this review are encouraging:

Choreographer Johan Inger’s Carmen is one we have never seen: a Carmen turned inside out. In this danced-through reimagining of the world’s most-popular opera, we are pulled into the characters’ inner turmoil. Their dancing gets under our skin, at times deliberately unsettling us.

https://theconversation.com/a-brutal-nightmarish-carmen-imbues-an-old-story-with-contemporary-resonances-113354

The whole ballet can be found on YouTube, performed by the Spanish company on whom it was created. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1