Resurrection of London City Ballet

Apologies if this precedes dozens of Dance Links this week (go and look tomorrow and later this week) but has anyone heard more about the revival of London City Ballet? I thought it was surprising and unexpected news given the reductions, closures and cancellations of so many productions and ensembles this year. I have great memories of their performances from the past.Very exciting and wonderful news if they can go ahead and put on performances- well done! 

• Like 6

The press release:

IA25TGufiIH8OHlp-jsh15J0Yop8fBfH91uXjOVFZJ29eh-8tdTUclaeoRdYans7t4G-vJT3JB9hqU4EKFRTbFr4zJD7UcqKWZrh8s8keNmgbvvw5c_w_sMEy59qPodHnLPGdQUC8yRPHL1O82CYLn4QiZCX0JsdWVfUkdCLmpwZw==

PRESS RELEASE  Monday 30 October 2023

LONDON CITY BALLET RETURNS UNDER THE ARTISTIC DIRECTION OF CHRISTOPHER MARNEY

It was announced today that after a hiatus of almost 30 years, the London City Ballet will return to the stage again under the direction of Christopher Marney, former dancer, and director of the Joffrey Ballet Studio Company of Chicago. The company will begin touring in the UK and internationally in summer 2024, including a week of performances on Sadler’s Wells stage in the autumn.

ASH_020423_1171CHRISTOPHER_MARNEY.thumb.jpg.4332f30585aac3057037c0d77cd0955b.jpg

The full company repertoire will be announced early in 2024 and will include a new creation by Olivier-award winner Arielle Smith and the revival of Kenneth MacMillan’s 1972 one-act ballet Ballade unseen in Europe for over fifty years.

Formerly the resident company of Sadler’s Wells, and internationally recognised as one of the world’s leading dance collectives, the prolific touring company was famously patronised by Diana, Princess of Wales. The original London City Ballet closed its doors in 1996 after 18 years of operations under its Director and Founder Harold King.

London City Ballet’s inaugural tour will include many of the former company's beloved venues in the UK and around the world in Italy, Portugal and the USA. With full dates and venues to be announced it will begin at Bath Theatre Royal in summer 2024. 

Christopher Marney has spent over a year constructing the company with historical insights from London City Ballet’s former Administrative Director, Heather Knight. The company will move into purpose-built dance studio and office space in Angel, Islington from Spring 2024 and work to a touring model of six-months per year for an initial three year period. Kate Lyons (New Adventures) will be the company’s Rehearsal Director and Sean Flanagan (Balletboyz) takes the position of General Manager.  

Christopher Marney, Artistic Director, London City Ballet said: ‘With immense respect for Harold King and the lives he changed I felt that London City Ballet’s rich history was too important to be forgotten. The company informed my own career and seeing them as a young child provided me with my first experience of dance, spurring my enthusiasm for the artform. The world has changed since its closure in 1996 and I am committed to creating a diverse and progressive company of dancers that speaks to a new generation and one that honours the leaders who paved its way. Where new work is important, an ethos of the company will be across ‘resurrection’. I am deeply drawn to reviving past works of influential choreographers which may have fallen out of the repertoire of mainstream companies and breathing life into those lost ballets. I am extremely grateful to Alistair Spalding for providing a platform for the company and believing in my vision for reaching audiences regionally who may not always have access to the repertoire I am enthusiastic to share’. 

Sir Alistair Spalding CBE, Artistic Director and Chief Executive, Sadler's Wells said: "I am thrilled to welcome London City Ballet back to Sadler's Wells, and look forward to presenting the company on the Sadler's Wells stage again after 30 years!"

For the next three years London City Ballet is generously supported by private subsidy. 

Youtube: londoncityballet / Instagram: TheLondonCityBallet / www.londoncityballet.com 

NOTES TO EDITORS 

London City Ballet
London City Ballet is a touring company of international dancers presenting groundbreaking British ballet and contemporary dance to audiences across the world.  The original iteration of the company closed in 1996 and was reformed in 2023 after a 30 year hiatus under the Artistic Direction of Christopher Marney.

London City Ballet’s inaugural tour begins in summer 2024 in the UK and continues around the world in Italy, Portugal and the USA.  The first tour of the new company will present acclaimed works including the revival of Kenneth MacMillan’s 1972 one-act ballet Ballade unseen in Europe for over fifty years, and a new commission by Olivier-award winner Arielle Smith.

London City Ballet was formerly the resident company of Sadler’s Wells, and internationally recognised as one of the world’s leading dance collectives, patronised by Diana, Princess of Wales. 

Christopher Marney 
Chris is a Choreographer, Teacher and former Artistic Director of the Joffrey Ballet Studio Company Chicago and Central School of Ballet in London

As a dancer Chris worked internationally for Balletboyz, Gothenburg Ballet Sweden, Ballet Biarritz France, Bern Ballet Switzerland and Matthew Bourne’s New Adventures where he has danced many principal roles around the world. 

During his time in these companies he performed in works by choreographers William Forsythe, Jiri Kylian, Nacho Duato and John Cranko to name a few. He danced with the Michael Clark Company in The Rite of Spring and Les Noces and his final performance in 2017 was with Ivan Putrov’s Men in Motion where he danced the Faun in Nijinsky’s L’Apres Midi d’un Faun. 

The Critics Circle National Dance Awards nominated him for Outstanding Performance in Modern Dance two years running as well as being included in Dance Europe’s Outstanding Male Dancer 2013 list. 

As a choreographer he has created works for Ballet Black, English National Ballet’s Emerging dancer, ‘The Four Seasons’ for the Joffrey Ballet Studio Company, Nutcracker at the British Museum, ‘Eve’ at Sadler’s Wells and ‘Lady Macbeth’ at the New National Theatre in Tokyo. 

His London West-End credits include choreography for McQueen The Play at the Theatre Royal Haymarket and Tell Me on a Sunday at the St. James.

As a Director Chris has had the pleasure of programming diverse tours across the UK & US commissioning new work as wells as presenting repertoire by choreographers George Balanchine, Jasmin Vardimon, Annabelle Lopez Ochoa, Kenneth MacMillan, Liam Scarlett, Frederick Ashton and Matthew Bourne, amongst others. 

He was named associate artist of the UK Foundation for Dance, holds a Masters degree in Choreography and was associate Choreographer for Matthew Bourne’s Sleeping Beauty. Chris is patron of the Chelmsford Ballet Company and a guest teacher for ballet companies worldwide. 

Sadler’s Wells     
Sadler's Wells is a world-leading dance organisation. We strive to make and share dance that inspires us all. Our acclaimed year-round programme spans dance of every kind, from contemporary to flamenco, Bollywood to ballet, salsa to street dance and tango to tap.   

We commission, produce and present more dance than any other organisation in the world. Since 2005, we have helped to bring more than 200 new dance works to the stage, embracing both the popular and the unknown. Our acclaimed productions tour the world. Since 2005 we’ve produced 64 new full-length works and performed to audiences of more than two million, touring to 51 countries.   

Each year, over half a million people visit our three London theatres - Sadler’s Wells Theatre, Lilian Baylis Studio and Peacock Theatre. Millions more attend our touring productions nationally and internationally or explore our digital platforms, including Sadler’s Wells Digital Stage.  

Sadler’s Wells East  

In 2024 we’re opening a fourth London venue in Stratford’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

Sadler’s Wells East will house a 550-seat mid-scale theatre, as well as facilities for the new Rose Choreographic School and the hip hop theatre training centre, Academy Breakin’ Convention.

Sadler’s Wells East joins the rich cultural heritage of Stratford, opening in London’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park as part of the East Bank development alongside the BBC, UAL’s London College of Fashion, UCL and the V&A. Sadler’s

ells East will support artist development and training, and the creation of new work. It will build the infrastructure for dance and make it accessible to more people. Sadler’s Wells East will house a flexible theatre presenting a wide variety of dance performances.

Community will be at the heart of Sadler’s Wells East with a large open foyer that can be used by everyone as a meeting or performance space. There will also be dance studios and world-class dance facilities for dancemakers to train, create and rehearse productions. 

Supporting artists 

Supporting artists is at the heart of our work. We have associate artists and companies, which nurture some of the most exciting talent working in dance today.

We host the National Youth Dance Company, which draws together some of the brightest young dancers from across the country. Sadler’s Wells Breakin' Convention runs professional development programmes to champion and develop the world’s best hip hop artists, as well as producing, programming and touring groundbreaking hip hop performances.   

Learning and community links 

Around 30,000 people take part in our learning and engagement programmes every year. We support schools local to our theatres in Islington and Stratford, designing experiences for children and young people to watch, explore and critically engage with the arts. We also run Company of Elders, a resident performance company of dancers aged over 60 who rehearse with renowned artists to make new work for public performances locally, nationally and internationally.   

Sadler’s Wells is an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation.   

www.sadlerswells.com   

Stay up to date with everything Sadler’s Wells on social media    

Facebook: @SadlersWells    
Twitter: @Sadlers_Wells    
Instagram: @sadlers_wells    
YouTube: Sadler’s Wells Theatre    

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

Will be interesting to see what their Rep will be…. Hopefully can keep to an essentially classical one. 

They've announced MacMillan's Ballade which hasn't been danced here for decades...the video clips from the American company reviving it this season look classical! The premiere from Arielle Smith sounds promising too- she won the Olivier Award for Outstanding Achievement in Dance for her ballet Jolly Folly for ENB, and it was fun and entertaining. I don't think LCB will have enough dancers to switch from contemporary to classical to contemporary unlike RB, and LCB were always classical. Great labour of love from Christopher Marney.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

Wonderful news. Like others I have fond memories of seeing LCB in the late 80s. Did they do La Sylphide? Would be wonderful to see that again.  I thought I remember seeing them at the Blackpool Grand Theatre and it would be great if they could perform there, even with the small stage.

Am especially interested in the idea of resurrecting old ballets by great choreographers. Frederick Ashton? Why couldn't Kevin have this attitude instead of inflicting new ballets that I have no intention of paying to see and that (apparently) not many other people want to see either. I await their rep and touring announcements with great interest. Seems amazing they have private funding for 3 years and such an ambitious touring venues list.  How can RB say they can't afford to tour England when this 'new' company can do that ? Admittedly the RB has a hugely expensive old building to maintain but even so...

• Like 6

On 30/10/2023 at 15:57, Peanut68 said:

Oh this would be fantastic! & I for one do see a space for a London based but with wider UK touring ballet company....& lets hope this provides more job opportunities for UK dancers also!

So true, @Peanut68 although I do say recruit the best candidates who apply in any job, I do hope thie being another company based in London (especially one with such a great reputation who were so well liked) gives opportunities for more British dancers to have careers here and to perform- it was one of my first thoughts after hearing the news. So much talent among British dance graduates. 

I  also like the fact that Marney is keen to resume the touring that the old LCB used to do- taking quality dance to smaller venues and smaller towns where many residents may not have the funds or the health to travel to big cities to see ballet. Impressive that so far the company has been revived with private funding only- kudos to them all. Hope they will be able to dance at Sadler's Wells this summer after their gig in Bath; would love to see them back there.

You are correct, @jmhopton- they did present a gorgeous little production of La Sylphide! I still remember the brochure! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Wonderful news. Like others I have fond memories of seeing LCB in the late 80s. Did they do La Sylphide? Would be wonderful to see that again.  I thought I remember seeing them at the Blackpool Grand Theatre and it would be great if they could perform there, even with the small stage.

Am especially interested in the idea of resurrecting old ballets by great choreographers. Frederick Ashton? Why couldn't Kevin have this attitude instead of inflicting new ballets that I have no intention of paying to see and that (apparently) not many other people want to see either. I await their rep and touring announcements with great interest. Seems amazing they have private funding for 3 years and such an ambitious touring venues list.  How can RB say they can't afford to tour England when this 'new' company can do that ? Admittedly the RB has a hugely expensive old building to maintain but even so...

Yes Joan, I saw them in Blackpool.  The first time I saw the company (maybe 85 or 86) was at Preston Charter Theatre performing La Sylphide (with Tim Almaas guesting from LFB/ENB).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Yes, I remember the great Yelena Pankova dancing Juliet with her, then, real life partner Karl Melnikov I think that was his name

Kirill Melnikov, and they had a son, but as you noted, Tony, they are no longer a couple. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

Beyond exciting! I notice you can join as a friend with various payment points…just signed up!

Wishing this venture every success as it does fill a void many of us on here I think feel there has been in the UK ballet scene! 
I always thought it was LFB I saw do La Sylphide at The Palace Theatre in Newark….but I’m now wondering if I’m fact it was LCB? Either way it was a totally transformative moment in my life…. Must’ve been early 1980’s? If anyone on here is  able to clarify, that would be great! I vividly remember costumes (the kilts…the mini wings on romantic length white dresses with tartan sashes…am I remembering right?) & moody lighting & great storytelling from the dancers….and great dancing too of course! Think it was first time that I really appreciated the athleticism needed by male dancers!  

• Like 3

I agree their production of Sylphide was exceptionally good. But as the company will apparently only have 12 dancers they couldn't do it.

But Christopher Bruce's powerful Swan Song, featuring 3 male dancers, would be a wonderful dramatic piece for a well designed triple bill.

• Like 5

Just signed up for their newsletter at this point. Have looked at membership but not sure yet….I usually like to at least be allowed to attend some rehearsals for the membership fee rather than social events to meet the dancers opportunities! The basic membership at £60 gives you a quarterly newsletter and to be able to attend a company class. Will see nearer the time they are due to perform whether to be a Friend or not. 

• Like 1

Just now, alison said:

Or three female dancers, for that matter - or a combination of both.  I think all three have been done.

Yes, with Rambert I saw over the years, 3 men, 3 women and 2 women/1 man.

The original LFB/ENB cast were non-pareil - Koen Onzia, Kevin Richmond & Matz Skoog.

• Like 2

IMO It would be good it they sought to utilise the fact there are already 2 other ballet companies in London already. They could for example try and find an arrangement to perhaps use young talented dancers in these companies in productions - this would both potentially develop these young dancers due to more prominent roles/different styles which would benefit their home companies and offer talented non-permanent dancers to LCB.  

• Like 2