Advice for booking at La Scala

On 22/10/2023 at 23:04, art_enthusiast said:

Just hopping here to ask if anyone has recommendations on the most affordable with a good view seats at La Scala? Can't find a thread for it

I've been a few times but always booked a seat as far forward as possible in the Stalls.  I think La Scala is quite problematical if you don't choose the Stalls as it is a series of boxes on all levels.  If you are going on your own then that's problematical as you will need to share, otherwise those towards the centre could be OK.  You will still be quite far back relatively speaking of course, but on the plus side - no tall heads in front of you as can happen in the Stalls. My experience of boxes at the ROH - is don't even bother unless you are going to be in the front row - and even then, the view from all side boxes is pretty dismal.  La Scala may be slightly better rounded. 

I hope that helps. For me, going has been a total treat (Marianela Nunez and Roberto Bolle every time) so I haven't looked at the expense, having once decided to "do it" - but it's once a year only so....

Edited by JennyTaylor
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I've been a few times but always booked a seat as far forward as possible in the Stalls.  

Thanks, that’s helpful.

Would you recommend Ratmansky’s Coppelia? I was thinking of going in December but I thought it might be better to save for Bayadere next year which I would prefer to see. I wasn’t a huge fan of Ratmansky’s Giselle when it came to London last year.

Is the website as painful as the ROH one when booking?

9 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Would you recommend Ratmansky’s Coppelia? 

Hard to say, I think it's a world premiere. As for La Bayadère, it depends on how much you like Nureyev's work. Personally, I think his choreographies are abysmal and hope La Scala will eventually remove all his stuff (and they have LOADS of it) from its repertoire, but I doubt it will happen while Legris directs the ballet. I'd go for Coppelia. I also look forward to Claudio Coviello in Manon (he's like La Scala's William Bracewell), but since there are plenty of Manon performances at ROH maybe it's better to go for something you can't see in London.

• Like 2

I've been to La Scala a few times I sat high up in the Balcony or gallery above the boxes it was ok not very comfy and very hot in summer. Block of 3 seats and neighbours are close! Had to tut woman next to me on her phone all the time when Nunez and Bolle were dancing ONEGIN!!! She didn't come back after interval so something must have been up. 

I managed to get a "scal aperta" i.e. half price special, ticket one time in a box but that was disappointing as the "seats" are just stools no backs (agony)  and you sit sideways to the stage so you face the person next to you. Bizarre/antiquated. You just shift to what is comfy but I think on balance I go higher up instead in a normal forward facing arrangement. 

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Earlier this week the opera I was seeing in Italy was cancelled due to a musicians strike, when we arrived the taxi divers were on strike too.  The cost of living crisis is hitting Italy hard, so bear this in mind when you book 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MAB said:

Earlier this week the opera I was seeing in Italy was cancelled due to a musicians strike, when we arrived the taxi divers were on strike too.  The cost of living crisis is hitting Italy hard, so bear this in mind when you book 

Yep sure, I can imagine and relate. I haven't booked yet as the Coppelia prices are steep (Bayadere next year looks to be a bit cheaper).

Did you get a refund for the opera you cancelled? Was it at a different theatre?

On 25/10/2023 at 10:56, AnticaFiamma said:

As for La Bayadère, it depends on how much you like Nureyev's work. Personally, I think his choreographies are abysmal and hope La Scala will eventually remove all his stuff (and they have LOADS of it) from its repertoire, but I doubt it will happen while Legris directs the ballet. I'd go for Coppelia. I also look forward to Claudio Coviello in Manon (he's like La Scala's William Bracewell), but since there are plenty of Manon performances at ROH maybe it's better to go for something you can't see in London.

I'm definitely booked to attend a few RB Manon performances, don't feel the need to see it elsewhere next year! I did see the Royal Swedish Ballet perform it in September, thought it was marvellous and now can't wait for the RB's portrayal.

I'm surprised about Nureyev's choreography not being too appealing - I confess that I didn't check and assumed it would be the Petipa version. But it might still be worth going to hear the music! I've never seen it live before, not sure who else might be performing it next year. (And doubt the RB will be bringing it back next season, unfortunately!) Wasn't Nureyev's version of Don Q good?

49 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I'm definitely booked to attend a few RB Manon performances, don't feel the need to see it elsewhere next year! I did see the Royal Swedish Ballet perform it in September, thought it was marvellous and now can't wait for the RB's portrayal.

I'm surprised about Nureyev's choreography not being too appealing - I confess that I didn't check and assumed it would be the Petipa version. But it might still be worth going to hear the music! I've never seen it live before, not sure who else might be performing it next year. (And doubt the RB will be bringing it back next season, unfortunately!) Wasn't Nureyev's version of Don Q good?

It's a matter of personal taste.  On the other hand, I prefer Nureyev's choreography and I'm already looking forward to Don Q in Paris.  And I love his Bajadere, also in the ONP production.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2023 at 15:05, MAB said:

Opera Massimo, Palermo.   Muti was to have conducted.  Refunded the ticket, but not the booking fee. Didn't get a refund on the hotel.

I had one cancelled too this week, at Naples (in my case I'm in Italy anyway).

On 25/10/2023 at 01:41, art_enthusiast said:

Thanks, that’s helpful.

Would you recommend Ratmansky’s Coppelia? I was thinking of going in December but I thought it might be better to save for Bayadere next year which I would prefer to see. I wasn’t a huge fan of Ratmansky’s Giselle when it came to London last year.

Is the website as painful as the ROH one when booking?

On La Scala's youtube channel they uploaded a video of Ratmansky rehearsing Coppélia with the cast for World Ballet Day

I missed seeing this thread earlier, art_enthusiast I hope you found seats for Coppelia if you *are* interested. It's getting more and more difficult to find cheap seats at La Scala, when booking opened for Coppelia the second gallery, which is my chosen area for good but reasonably priced seats, was practically sold out at 10 a.m., when online sales started! I go quite often to La Scala, which means I have to look for cheaper seats, and I find that the first or second galleries are fine. The front row has the usual annoying security rail, but the second row has the possibility of obstructed views if there's a tall person in front of you (this *always* happens to me) or a leaner. 

The corps de ballet has improved tremendously under Legris, its Swan Lake was a joy to behold. I'm looking forward to seeing Onegin in a couple of weeks. I'm a fan of the Nureyev Bayadere, as opposed to the Makarova one, although June is likely to be extremely hot if this year is anything to go by, maybe a better option would be Kameliendame in September? 

Edited to add this link to a useful website (although you can also see seating on the Scala website when you're choosing your tickets) : https://sitzplatzvorschau.de/teatro_alla_scala_milano/index.html#id=8121

Edited by Aruna S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 01/11/2023 at 15:43, AnticaFiamma said:

On La Scala's youtube channel they uploaded a video of Ratmansky rehearsing Coppélia with the cast for World Ballet Day

Medici  TV is showing Ratmansky's Coppelia on Sunday 17th December

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jane S said:

Medici  TV is showing Ratmansky's Coppelia on Sunday 17th December

Thank you!   That's very intriguing.   Is it already known who will dance the leads?   I'm assuming this is opening night?    

17 hours ago, AnticaFiamma said:

Nicoletta Manni and Timofej Andrijashenko

Thank you for this info.  I'm very much looking forward to seeing the Ratmansky version with these dancers.   The rehearsal footage on World Ballet Day was delightful.

• 3 months later...

Public booking opened today for Nureyev’s La Bayadere at La Scala.  

Kimin Kim is guesting as Solor on 12 and 14 June, with Nicoletta Manni as Nikiya and Maria Celeste Losa as Gamzatti

full casting here

https://www.teatroallascala.org/it/stagione/2023-2024/balletto/la-bayadere.html

I’ve chosen a seat in front row of a box on the first level in order to have no heads blocking my view.  It looks to me that the stalls are low relative to the stage and that will not work for the patterns in the shades and wedding scenes.  Also I cannot miss feet and cannot risk tall people blocking my view.  In my experience you can meet interesting fellow balletomanes in seats or boxes.  If not, one doesn’t have to converse.