Meaghan Grace Hinkis Ballet in Italy

Rocchetta Grand Jeté

I attended Meghan Grace Hinkis’ amazing event in Italy this weekend – Athelhampton brought to a vineyard, and what an experience it turned out to be.  I was booked for the entire event, so was able to attend 2 * classes and a working rehearsal at the venue as well as the 2 evening performances.  It turned out to be a weekend that will live in the memory for a long time, not only for the glorious dancing but also for the amazing contingency activities which enabled Sunday’s performance to go ahead despite dreadful weather.

The programme was as follows:

Act 1

Voices of Spring (Ashton):  Meaghan Grace Hinkis and Luca Acri

Consolations and Liebestraum (Scarlett): Laura Morera and Ryoichi Hirano

Le Corsaire pdd (Petipa): Sae Maeda and Daichi Ikarashi

Chroma (McGregor): Anna Rose O’Sullivan and Giacomo Rovero

Meditation from Thais (Ashton): Sarah Lamb and Lukas B. Brændsrød

Carousel – if I Loved you pdd (MacMillan): Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball

Czardas (McRae): Steven McRae

Act 2

Manon Bedroom pdd (MacMillan):  Laura Morera and Ryoichi Hirano

Rhapsody pdd (Ashton): Meaghan Grace Hinkis and David Donnelly

324A (Junker): Giacomo Rovero

Swan Lake Act II – White Swan pdd (Petipa/Ivanov): Anna Rose O’Sullivan and Steven McRae

Bird of Paradise (Richardson/Junker):  Lukas B. Brændsrød

After the Rain (Wheeldon): Sarah Lamb and David Donnelly

Diana and Actaeon (Petipa): Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball

Les Lutins (Johan Kobborg): Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Luca Acri and Daichi Ikarashi

First violin of The Royal Opera House orchestra, Sergey Levitin, and The Royal Ballet pianist, Michael Pansters.

Stage Manager: Sarah Woodward

Rehearsal Director: Christopher Saunders

Class Teacher: Erico Montes (ex RB and now Toulouse ballet)

The venue was a glorious vineyard in the countryside south of Milan and north of Genoa. Wine was flowing and pacing oneself as a visitor with all the gorgeous food and wine on offer was a necessity.

The weather was extremely hot all day Saturday, though mercifully cooling a little in the evening for the performance.  Transporting the stage, flooring, lighting etc looked like a massive feat of logistics and very hard work.  I believe it was re-laid overnight on Friday/ Saturday with all hands on deck, including some volunteer dancers. There was a strong wind in the afternoon which flapped the floor and the surrounds, necessitating more rework to ensure complete stability for the evening.

The evening performance was perfection in every sense, with all the dancers pulling out the stops to reach their peak. A triumph.

We were all worried about the weather for Sunday, as the forecast was horrible. We lasted right up until about 6:30pm which enabled a class to be held on stage for the local ballet schools, which was really good. Then it started to rain, then the thunder and lightning started, and the rain became torrential. At 8:30pm there looked to be no chance of starting the performance though the dancers remained optimistic. All the audience seating was in the open air and although the stage was covered, we were really concerned about water blowing onto it to make it slippery. An enormous logistical undertaking then occurred as they turned the stage 90 degrees to face an area in the vinery which had some cover. Chairs were all moved to this area so most people could stay in the dry, albeit with some standing and some also happy to sit in open areas directly facing the stage.

At what seemed to be the height of the storm, the performance started, much to my astonishment, with Meaghan and Luca in Voices of Spring. What bravery!! As this piece contains quite a few high lifts and jumps, they did adapt it but astonishingly still managed some of the lifts. Luca slipped once and our hearts were in our mouths. They had almost reached the end when all the lights went out and the music stopped.  We really did think that was it.

But no, the show went on, lights restored and this is the programme we saw with each dancer still doing at least one piece.

Voices of Spring (Ashton):  Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Luca Acri

Consolations and Liebestraum (Scarlett): Laura Morera and Ryoichi Hirano

Le Corsaire pdd (Petipa): Sae Maeda and Daichi Ikarashi (part only)

Chroma (McGregor): Anna Rose O’Sullivan and Giacomo Rovero

Carousel – if I Loved you pdd (MacMillan): Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball

324A (Junker): Giacomo Rovero

Bird of Paradise (Richardson/Junker):  Lukas B. Brændsrød

After the Rain (Wheeldon): Sarah Lamb and David Donnelly

Czardas (McRae): Steven McRae

Les Lutins (Johan Kobborg): Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Luca Acri and Daichi Ikarashi

Yes, the dancers adapted to the conditions, so although it was not possible to do all the "fireworks" dancing, there was somehow an additional drama and passion to their dancing. I have to single out Laura Morera and Ryoichi Hirano in both their pieces with the Manon pdd moving me to tears. Similarly, the Carousel pdd with Mayara and Matt – just wonderful. It’s now one of my favourite pieces. Matt still managed some stupendous jumps which received whoops of applause.

The stage manager Sarah Woodward deserves every accolade under the sun for making this happen and Chris Saunders and Erico Montes mopped the stage between every piece. What a team effort!  The rain did ease off as the evening progressed thank goodness, so we were all able to enjoy celebratory food and drinks afterwards. What an undertaking and what a triumph for Meaghan, and everyone involved.         

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10

3 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

Diana and Actaeon (Petipa): Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball

The entire programme looks good but these two in particular I would love to have seen. I wish the RB would do a programme like this each seaon, perhaps to end the season. I would have found it much more enjoyable than the modern triple bill that ended this season.

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, Geoff said:

How marvellous! Might this kind of event be tried there again next year? And if so, can someone publicise the details here? 

Geoff - there is a thread in News about earlier performances that then included these performances in Italy.  There is also mention of a proposed return to Athelhampton in 2024.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

The entire programme looks good but these two in particular I would love to have seen. I wish the RB would do a programme like this each seaon, perhaps to end the season. I would have found it much more enjoyable than the modern triple bill that ended this season.

Yes, it would be a great way to end each season. And would/could give opportunities both to principals and to more junior dancers.

• Like 9

I think they are due to go back to Athelhampton next year for more of the same. Postscript is that we are all stuck in Milan due to the NATS failure.  I am stuck for 3 days!  You couldn't make it up.  Met some of the dancers at the airport and they are trying via Paris Eurostar. Everything fully / overbooked though.  I've decided to stay put and stick it out.  

Matt and Mayara both really enjoy the Carousel pdd so I'm sure it will be back. They did perform it in an early post Covid performance at the ROH so it is streamed anywhere??

I wondered if I had witnessed Laura's actual final performance. If I did, it was marvellous.  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

Matt and Mayara both really enjoy the Carousel pdd so I'm sure it will be back. They did perform it in an early post Covid performance at the ROH so it is streamed anywhere??

It's on Youtube. Search

Matthew Ball & Mayara Magri - If I Loved You pas de deux

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ondine said:

It's on Youtube. Search

Matthew Ball & Mayara Magri - If I Loved You pas de deux

Pirated but there....

Thanks everyone. I should have been clearer: my question was actually whether this is likely to happen again at this venue in Italy.

Perhaps this is currently in discussion at Milan airport (I feel for everyone trapped by this mysterious air traffic fault).  

14 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I think they are due to go back to Athelhampton next year for more of the same. Postscript is that we are all stuck in Milan due to the NATS failure.  I am stuck for 3 days!  You couldn't make it up.  Met some of the dancers at the airport and they are trying via Paris Eurostar. Everything fully / overbooked though.  I've decided to stay put and stick it out.  

I wondered if I had witnessed Laura's actual final performance. If I did, it was marvellous.  

Indeed. They performed the Carousel PDD on stage at ROH when the dancers returned after Covid, and I think it was also broadcast on TV - don't think I'm imagining that? It is available on YouTube but I can't link it here as it isn't official, I think. It is one of my favourites - I've watched in so many times. Mayara is just totally captivating in it - her acting is amazing and I enjoyed watching her, particularly.

18 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

My thoughts exactly, Dawnstar. How glorious if the season could either open or close with a performance like this. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Linnzi5 said:

Indeed. They performed the Carousel PDD on stage at ROH when the dancers returned after Covid, and I think it was also broadcast on TV - don't think I'm imagining that? It is available on YouTube but I can't link it here as it isn't official, I think. It is one of my favourites - I've watched in so many times. Mayara is just totally captivating in it - her acting is amazing and I enjoyed watching her, particularly.

The mentioned recording is from the performance of The Royal Ballet: Back on Stage, which took place on 9 October 2020. From October to November 2020, it was available as a paid stream on the ROH website.  Currently, it can only be partially found on YouTube.

18 minutes ago, Silver Capricorn said:

The mentioned recording is from the performance of The Royal Ballet: Back on Stage, which took place on 9 October 2020. From October to November 2020, it was available as a paid stream on the ROH website.  Currently, it can only be partially found on YouTube.

Also on the BBC Boxing Day 2020

Carousel and the DonQ pdd were glorious. A good candidate for the ROH stream.

16 minutes ago, Silver Capricorn said:

The Royal Ballet: Back on Stage, which took place on 9 October 2020.

I paid my sixteen quid at the time. Possibly a few 'demands' to the ROH would make it available again on the paid for online ROH service?

It was a lovely gala.

The tension between love and suffering illuminated Edward Watson’s searing performance in a snippet from Wayne McGregor’s Woolf Works, alongside an outstanding Calvin Richardson as his lost lover; it blew the roof off in Kenneth MacMillan’s pas de deux from Carousel, with Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball excelling both in pyrotechnics and subtle drama.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/oct/18/the-royal-ballet-back-on-stage-review-an-exuberant-return

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Also on the BBC Boxing Day 2020

Carousel and the DonQ pdd were glorious. A good candidate for the ROH stream.

Yep, I think I saw it back on BBC iPlayer briefly last year, or the year before.

Would be great to have it on the stream.

Shouldn’t it be perfectly fine to send  requests through to them - isn’t that what you’d want from your audience? An indication of what they want to watch which would lead to more subscribers! It should be a win win situation.

• Like 3

An additional 'good thing' about galas of this kind is that both younger and more established dancers can have the experience of dancing  pas de deux or solos which might not otherwise come their way.

So it's hard to fathom, other than in terms of rehearsal time/space, why it isn't a feature of the RB's rep. [And, of course, it's something which would be ready to tour within the UK as well as abroad.]

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, capybara said:

why it isn't a feature of the RB's rep.

I think the RB keeps galas  for very special occasions.  I think in general that's a wise policy.

There are pros but also cons regarding these 'bits from' galas.

17 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

This is a wonderful way to capture the essence of the event. Andrej Uspenski was there for all the photos. He even had a drone!  I note, no pictures from the pouring rain.  Still stuck in Italy. Some people going out today, some tomorrow 

A lovely video.  I hope you get home soon Jenny!

• Like 3

The name of the “After the Rain” pas de deux turned out to be more real than anyone could have anticipated! I’d love to see Lamb and Donnelly in the pas de deux; in fact, I’d love to see the programme in the U.K. Well done to Meaghan Grace Hinkis on putting it all together! Thank you for the reports, Jenny, and hope you reached home safely. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Emeralds said:

The name of the “After the Rain” pas de deux turned out to be more real than anyone could have anticipated! I’d love to see Lamb and Donnelly in the pas de deux; in fact, I’d love to see the programme in the U.K. Well done to Meaghan Grace Hinkis on putting it all together! Thank you for the reports, Jenny, and hope you reached home safely. 

Yes, I finally got home at 10pm last night. Thank you for everyone’s good wishes.  It’s been a week I will never forget!

• Like 14