World Ballet Day 2023 - 1 Nov

Guest oncnp

• 2 months later...

Alexander Campbell has posted on his IG stories that he and Kristen McNally will be hosting the RB segment again this year. 

Tetsuya Kumakawa has announced that his K-Ballet company will participate for the first time, for this 10 year anniversary of the event.  It was on their Instagram stories a day or so ago.  

(I don’t understand companies that don’t post news like this in posts as well as stories.)

Text translated by google: 

Participation in World Ballet Day decided! November 1, 2023 (Wednesday) 13:00~

TETSUYA KUMAKAWA BALLET TOKYO

To commemorate the 10th anniversary of World Ballet Day, where ballet companies from around the world connect the day through video, K-Ballet Tokyo will be participating for the first time. In addition to live streaming of class, we will also send you a program that includes a special video of the new Kumagawa version of "Sleeping Beauty." Details will be announced at a later date. Please stay tuned!

• Like 5

The Bolshoi Theatre announces their broadcast (Moscow time is UTC+3) on VK and Telegram.  Also YouTube.  

https://t.me/bolshoi_theatre/1987

https://vk.com/wall-52257710_29718

Ballet Day 2023🩰

On November 1 at 11:00 a traditional broadcast will take place on the official Bolshoi Theater VKontakte community, viewers of which will be able to watch the life of the Bolshoi ballet troupe. You will see a ballet class and rehearsals, and artists and teachers will talk about what their theatrical everyday life consists of.

As you know, 2023 was declared the Year of the Teacher and Mentor on a nationwide scale. And our broadcast will be held under the sign of mentoring, without which the continuity of traditions in the world of ballet is unthinkable.

We will provide you with a unique opportunity to see rehearsals of the ballets “The Winter's Tale”, “Giselle”, “La Bayadère” and “Swan Lake”. The first three will be held on the Historical Stage, “Swan Lake” will “move” to the New Stage during the rehearsal.

We invite viewers to take a virtual look behind the scenes and spend time with ballet dancers and honored teachers of the Bolshoi Theater. Presenters: prima ballerina Eleonora Sevenard and Prime Minister Denis Rodkin.

Also on November 1 at 18:00 in the official Big VKontakte community you will be able to watch an interview with Eleanor Sevenard. It will open a series of meetings with dancers of the ballet troupe as part of the “Bolshoi Speaks” project. Ballet".

You will find interviews with prima ballerinas Alena Kovaleva, Elizaveta Kokoreva, Eleonora Sevenard, premiere Dmitry Smilevsky, leading soloist Eva Sergeenkova and soloist Maria Koshkareva.

Some of them are just beginning their journey in the theater, while others have already reached the highest level of the Bolshoi Ballet, some are in love with classical productions, while others prefer modern ones. They all have one thing in common: a love of dance in all its forms.

Do not miss!

💌 Bolshoi Theater on Telegram
💙 Bolshoi Theater on VKontakte

• Like 2

The beauty of World Ballet Day … any dance entity can participate and anyone can choose what to watch (or not).  

Personally I find the whole day rather overwhelming … too much is produced and broadcast simultaneously.   

I like that ENB, NB and BRB are jointly advertising each other.  https://www.instagram.com/p/CzBeCVvs_0P/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FionaM said:

Presenters: prima ballerina Eleonora Sevenard and Prime Minister Denis Rodkin.

Hmm, dare I suggest ...?  No, perhaps too political.  Plus, I don't know the man.

1 hour ago, FionaM said:

Personally I find the whole day rather overwhelming … too much is produced and broadcast simultaneously.  

Me too.  And I never seem to get around to catching up with all of it :(

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Silke H said:

IG fouettés

in case anyone is in need of a giggle

my take on the RB’s pirouette/fouetté challenge for WBD

🦛🩰

Absolutely fabulous 😍🤩 especially if you look at my avatar.

Edited by Sophoife
Added second phrase.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, alison said:

Hmm, dare I suggest ...?  No, perhaps too political.  Plus, I don't know the man.

Me too.  And I never seem to get around to catching up with all of it :(

Lol. Yes please, Denis seems a nice chap in interviews, modest and pleasant to all. Would be a massive improvement (although I think it's the other top job that needs replacing)...OK, back to WBD livestreams.....haha. I usually start off bright and eager at the beginning with Australian Ballet at the start very early in the morning, then have to leave as the real world kicks in, and return later to catch the Canadians and Americans. I don't usually get a chance to see European companies live, but can catch a few on YouTube later.

• Like 1

Wanting to celebrate World Ballet Day somehow, I could think of no better way than to ask the question forever on many BCF members lips to ROH management:
 “La Fille….what’s the story? Fact or fiction?”
Contrary to popular rumour and the conspiracy theories that abound on BCF, La Fille hasn’t been banned at the ROH. (I believe that it was scheduled and then had to be shelved due to the Pandemic so was a part of the lost season that also included Alice). All being well it ought to be staged within the next couple of seasons. Happy World Ballet Day 🙂 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

Emerging Choreographer (

In the recent Insights for Black History Month he said he was recommended by Wayne McGregor who has mentored him since he was 18 I recall? Must watch it again to check. So that could explain a great deal.

Am I confused (well more than usual) is this a new position then or has someone else moved on? 

14 minutes ago, capybara said:

Thanks @Ondine Yes, that is what's on the website.

However, I don't recall Tonga's move from being Emerging Choreographer (for 2 years) to Choreographer in Residence actually being announced. And the way in which the position was mentioned by Alexander Campbell made it sound as if it was something relatively new.

Yes, it did. But I see from a press release from Toonga's PR company in May 2022 about a tour of his new work 'Born to Exist', he was described as the Royal Ballet's 'Emerging Choreographer in Residence'. So maybe these various terms are interchangeable. Or maybe there has been a change. Who knows.

• Like 1