Shocked (Daniel Jones in "Got To Dance")

So shocked to see Daniel Jones from ENB ballet company competing on Got to Dance, amongs five year old children and amateur dancers. Daniel is a well known name in the ballet world, I just cannot understand why he would risk his reputation in competing in a show like this. I also feel that he should give other people a chance he is a professional after all and a senior soloist.

• Like 2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest from the documentary I got a vibe from him that his heart was no fully in ENB anymore. I know that at the time there was the problem with pay and money cuts, however he just seemed a bit 'off', kind of tired. Maybe he's looking for something new? Although I do not know why he would potentially leave his current job....

I just can't see that by entering this comepetition how Daniel would be raising ENB's profile, they may even be embarassed about it. Mind you this has nothing to do with ENB, just a professional soloist at the top of his career entering a competiton alongside very young children and other non professionals. I've always liked Danil but I sincerely hope that he does not win, he has had his time, give someone else a chance I say.

• Like 1

ENB must have given permission for him to attend the audition and any further rounds. It sounded like he had planned to do a duet with Kei before they found out she is expecting. Neither of them have retired though, so it seems like a really odd decision.

I don't think it is a bad thing - the competition is for those who believe they are at the top of their game in their chosen dance genre. It is a competition with a wide and varied field which is what makes it interesting to watch. With regard to him not giving others a chance there have been several ex Billy Elliot's including Matthew Koon who had previously either won or been a finalist (can't remember which) in the Fonteyn Nuryef Competition. I would imagine some of the street crews are the best in their field and well known to those in the street dance world. He is older but then maybe that is also a good thing also as it is further diversity and shows that dancing is not just for the very young.

• Like 1

I rather suspect that he is making plans for when he stops dancing full-time. If you don't want to start a dance school then what do you do? Not everyone is willing or able to spend several years retraining at 40 plus. He may be trying to build up a dance-related portfolio career and sees media exposure as helpful for this.

• Like 1

Tulip, just curious as to why you would view Got To Dance as being so beneath him? I understand your opinion on it maybe being unfair he is a professional, but not that the ballet world is so precious it's dancers can't be seen in on a different platform! Why would ENB be embarrassed? I'm sure he will be incredible.

• Like 2

Sorry if I came across so harsh, it's just that I have always admired Daniel as being a very talented dancer who has achieved a very successful career. I see the Got to Dance show as an opportunity for up and coming dancers who need a chance to be seen. Matthew Koon entered the show when he was still dancing at his local dance school. I just felt that Daniel is so high up that he did not need to enter any competition to prove the point that he is already one of the best male solists around. It is only my oppinion but I just did not expect to see one of our top dancers from the ballet world on the show.

• Like 2

I was referring to what Matthew Koon had achieved at the point he entered the competition to make the point that having had excellent training and already achieved success should not prevent you entering the competition. The competition is interesting because of the variation in age, experience and genre. Therefore, my opinion is good luck to Daniel Jones.

As a parent of a young boy who does not always have the opportunity to travel to London to watch such a fabulous dancer, the appearance of a professional male ballet star on the tv has made him proud, excited and very inspired to achieve his own dreams!

We'll done Daniel!

In the words of 2012 'Inspire a Generation'

• Like 9

I actually cannot believe how negative this thread is and think the title should be changed from shocked to 'Support Daniel Jones' the competition 'got to dance' is open to all, and I'm sure Daniel has weighed up the pros and cons him self...'Got to dance' is a competition to find britains best dancer or dancers...there is no age limit or no competition rules about professionals taking part. The producers even get in touch with dancers and ask them to audition- I have been in class at pineapple when the producers have been in to scout dancers! They want professionals to be represented in the competition - after all they are trying to find the countries best dancer and want technique!!! The competition is full of street dancers and very little ballet is shown, we as ballet fans should be supporting Daniel for braving the judges and getting ballet on the show not critisizing him!! As for Daniels 'heart not being in ENB' anymore...you clearly haven't been to see ENb for a while...over Christmas I went to see them and Daniel is fitter than ever and dancing better than ever! You can see on stage his heart and soul is still well and truly in dance and the company! In the documentary agony and ecstasy Daniel appeared to me to be the only dancer to voice opinions..again dancers tend to just go along with whatever is said for fear of losing their jobs or upsetting someone in the casting department..they try and play the game..but at the end of the day the dancers have to live in London and survive!! They work long long hours and deserve amazing pay- and somwtimes that needs fighting for because if no one asks no one will get!! Daniel, if you ask me, has done and continues do absolute wonders for the ballet world...he is an asset that ENB should be proud of- and I'm very sure they are after all he has been with them for over 20 years and look what he's achieved! So come on let's support Daniel and get positive about seeing him on tv! After all who doesn't want more ballet on tv!! :) (please change the name of this thread to something more positive!! We are ballet supporters, no?)

• Like 11

Welcome from me too, Balletlovesme and Vintagetrip.

Well, let us assume that Daniel has ENB's permission to appear on Got to Dance, and it is after all a positive move for ballet fans. I've always bemoaned the lack of ballet on GTD, so let's hope Daniel progresses through the competition so that we get to see lots more ballet.

• Like 1

Well said Balletlovesme How many ballet dancers of Daniels standard would be brave enough to enter such a competition he gets a gold star from me for that alone.Male ballet dancers get enough stick while training from a young age so to see some of these comments on a Ballet Forum is beyond me.The rules for entry are nothing to do with Daniel and from what I can see he does more than anyone to promote ballet I am sure ENB are 100% behind him anything to promote bums on seats especially in these present climates.So ballet lovers lets get behind Daniel and cheer him on I for one could sit and watch him all day..

• Like 4

In this forum why would anyone be shocked to see a professional dancer amongst professional dancers, admittedly not all, but this forum is beyond me. Having watched the programme and this particular episode umpteen times, all I can say is that Daniel has not only drawn in audiences but has from my point of view promoted ballet in the best way possible. May I ask hhypothetically speaking that if within your profession whether it be dancing or not, given the opportunity to do something you love and promote it you would not do the same. Daniel moves in many circles and for me I admire him for his aptitude in whatever he takes on board, hard working and an inspiration

• Like 4

I'm gutted I missed the programme! (Normally watch it!) I would have loved to have seen Daniel dance - a great way to show the British public some high standard Ballet on primetime TV for a change.

I also think its a great opportunity for Daniel as a role model for all aspiring dancers of whatever sex or dance genre. I did catch a bit of one episode whilst dh was fliicking through channels and was impressed to see judge Ashley taking a stand against a lot of the freestyle disco "dancers" who came on and did loads of tricks with music in the background... as opposed to dancing with the music! (There was only one dancer who did do this genre justice.) Ballet can show that dance isn't about cartwheels and walkovers whilst wearing sexy outfits and tons of makeup!

So I'm delighted if there is now someone of Daniel Jones calibre on the programme. So do let us all support him !

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting the clip. Really enjoyed watching it especially as it survived dodgy editing (why do people filming dance insist on close ups of feet etc when we want to see the dancer as a whole! ?) And I do wish the producers would tone down the set too!

Well done Daniel!

• Like 1

As a parent of a ballerina i find it difficult to understand how competing in 'GOT TO DANCE' could be negative. Lets bring ballet into the 21st centery and show any ballet critic how fantastic this Art form is. My daughter was on the edge of her seat watching daniel......how exciting is that for a teenager who lives in a dance world of street enspired acts!!

• Like 4

I think it is somewhat distressing that there wasn't more made of the fact of his personal professional association. Surely that must be taken into consideration. If ENB had approved this, might there not have been a younger dancer - say in the corps - for whom the publicity might not better (and longer) serve both the the individual dancer and the company whose employ he/she is in. The association with the Olympic statement is fine, but remember that if there was to be an Olympic category for, say, 'dance' no one professionally EMPLOYED would be able to join in other than as, say, a judge. These competitions skew perspectives I think in the minds of many. When will we see 'Got to do Brain Surgery' I wonder?

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 1

I think ENB must have approved Daniel's appearance, Meunier - if nothing else, he will need to take time off as he progresses though the competition. Many people have obviously seen the programme so it's not as if he could have entered without telling ENB Management.

As for it being an opportunity for someone in the Corps, Daniel is entering as an individual, not on behalf of the Company, so there would be no reason for ENB to enter anyone else in his place.

• Like 1