Shocked (Daniel Jones in "Got To Dance")

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always enjoyed Daniel's performances and I can understand that he had very little time to prepare the solo but I was less than whelmed by the audition.

I am sure Daniel will shine in future programmes and wish him all the best for the competition.

I don't have Sky so I won't be able to watch.

• Like 2

I would also love to see more ballet on Got To Dance and for me presonaly I did not like the free style disco, but that may be because I just don't understand that style of dance. May I also point out that I have not been negative about Daniel as I have already pointed out I have always been impressed by his talent.

I don't watch the show so have just watched the clip. To be honest as I do not know of him (yes my ignorance I'm sure) I would not have known he was where he is if you see what I mean. I'm being honest as to how I viewed it on the small You tube clip but I would never have guessed he was a soloist with a large ballet company. Obviously he is restricted by space and time but I wasn't overwhelmed at all.

Years ago on "So You Think You Can Dance"in America a member of the corps from one of the large American companies was in the show. He was amazing. I think he came second. Mind you the standard of the US "SYTYCD" has always been very high.

I think we can all judge what we thought of the performance and everyones opinion is valid. As indeed it is when one sees a ballet and some love it and some are not impressed. No-one has the monopoly on being "right" . Being so denigrating because an opinion differs from ones own is actually rather unpleasant. People are not necessarily ignorant because they do not agree with you.

Anyway this isn't a show I enjoy though I am always impressed by Kimberley.

• Like 5

I was on Daniel`s Twitter page,and I tweeted him,telling him his performance on the show is causing a lot of interesting discussion on this Forum. He has just got back to me, telling me discussion is always a good thing,and he has "Followed " me back on Twitter. Although I think he`ll find my Tweets rather boring [Mostly about how wonderful Professor Brian Cox is,most of the time.!!]

• Like 4

BankruptMum: I don't think less than impressed would be a comment made of someone of his calibre, more the fact of more than impressed, the only people I would see who would be embarrassed would be those who are ignorant to his art

Given his training, ability, and experience I expected to see much more flourish and passion - this (to me) was much more apparent in other dancers. He was obviously very technically able - I personally dont feel he 'used' his music, it could have been anything.

More of a technical demonstration than a performance - in my opinion, not sure I am ignorant of his art, just have an alternative opinion.

• Like 7

More of a technical demonstration than a performance were you watching the same thing as me and many many others as you say you are ignorant of his art his art is one if not the most difficult to Master and to dance with perfect technique and make it look so easy as Daniel did takes many years of hard work and dedication.I feel there are far to many street dance groups and I would love to see more ballet I thank Daniel for making the decision to take part don't think many on here would have the nerve anything to promote ballet for boys ..

• Like 1

Sim said on the "Why is Darcey Bussell so famous?" Thread:

"To illustrate some of the comments above, everyone should read the critics' musings on the opening night of Onegin (see the links thread). There were six of them, all had been at the same performance, and all said completely different things about all aspects of the evening, from the dancers to the score to the conducting. That is why I never, ever listen to critics when deciding what to see, and also shows that we are all the same in that we have our own perceptions and opinions; there is absolutely no right or wrong, even for professional critics!"

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/2752-why-did-darcey-bussell-become-so-famous/page__st__30#entry31849

Tutugood, everyone sees things differently and is entitled to their opinion and to have that opinion respected.

I am sure that everyone on this Board wishes Daniel well in this competition and those of us who have had the pleasure of seeing him dance with ENB acknowledge and admire his abilities.

Edited by Janet McNulty
Edited to correct misquoted thread and to include a link to the thread
  • Like 5

tutugood i honestly wonder why you are so upset at a differing view. Everyone on this forum has to a greater or lesser extent a knowledge of ballet. Some have danced themselves, some have children at schools and some have children who have now progressed in to the profession. My concern is being uncritical because of who someone is and not not judging on the performance on the day.

I have an experience when I saw Carlos Acosta dance. The first time, at Sadlers Wells I thought he and the whole show were outstanding. A year or so later I saw him at The Coliseum and was so disappointed. Felt he was just there for the money. For me the whole programme lacked feeling. My son (then training , now professional) and I were discussing our feelings, he too was less than overwhelmed, on the way back to the station. We were verbally attacked my a lady saying how dare we criticise the great Carlos. My son was stunned and said to me was the lady judging what she'd seen or genuinely felt Carlos could do no wrong. Not a view any professional holds. They know they have good and bad days.

To insult someone by saying their view must be through "ignorance of the art" is I feel very offensive. Neither yours, mine nor Bankcrupt mums' opinion is any more or less valid. Maybe not knowing a particular dancer well gives one a clearer view of the performance given. No expectaions etc. Making something look easy is not enough. Any competent performer in any genre should do that. Nor are any views anti ballet. It is always great to see variety. Some of the street dancers are amazing.

I do find it incredibly sad and frustrating that any opinion differing from your own is deemed to be "wrong" and to have no worth as it is through "ignorance."

I would never pretend to be as knowledgeable as many on here but over the last few years I have seen much ballet with a variety of companies. Some I've been overwhelmed by and some very disappointed. Some I have thought the corps excellent but the soloists etc lacking committment. I judge every performance on what I see in front of me and try not to have any preconceived notions. I also refuse to accept that people don't have good or bad days and I only have to listen to my own son critique his own and others performances to know all good dancers are far harder on themselves than we will ever be.

I don't think anyone has said they felt the performance bad just some do not feel it was what it could be.Which would of course not be surprising as the format is so different. Such a short time to show one's talent and always less "dramatic" than a group.

Surely that is the nature of performance? One man's meat etc.

• Like 10

More of a technical demonstration than a performance were you watching the same thing as me and many many others as you say you are ignorant of his art his art is one if not the most difficult to Master and to dance with perfect technique and make it look so easy as Daniel did takes many years of hard work and dedication.I feel there are far to many street dance groups and I would love to see more ballet I thank Daniel for making the decision to take part don't think many on here would have the nerve anything to promote ballet for boys ..

Tutugood - I did not say I am ignorant of his art, whilst I am no professional dancer or performer, I am parent of a very able dancer and somebody who has knowledge of a wide variety of dance styles, so whilst not speaking from personal experience, I am certainly not ignorant. I consider that comment to be a very rude one to make and extremely judgemental when a person is just expressing an opinion - to which we are all entitled.

It was a television competition not an ballet competition - enjoyment and performance is an element to be considered.

Every audience member watching a ballet will have their own opinion and favourite dancers, this doesnt reduce the talent of other performers.

Please can we get back on topic rather than ripping peoples personal opinions to shreds.

• Like 5

I haven't watched this, but I do think that it can be difficult for a (male) ballet solo to shine against street dancers and tappers etc. Ballet is a rarified dance form (with certain stylistic peculiarities to the unfamiliar eye) and does not have the razzmatazz and immediate appeal of some other forms of dance as far as the general public is concerned. It reminds me of my children's school and youth orchestra concerts. The string orchestras (and my two are both string players) get respectful applause whereas the jazz ensembles always get a roar of approval after they have played.

I think that Daniel is taking quite a risk entering this competition. As an older, professional dancer surely the bar (barre!) is going to be set much higher for him, in the minds of the judges and the audience, even if not officially. To do well in the competition he is going to have to do some really virtuoso dancing in order to shine against the other dancers.

• Like 4

Daniel himself said on the show that he had only had a couple of hours to choreograph the piece, so as he is through to the next round, hopefully he will have more time to prepare.

I would ask all posters to respect each other's opinions, even if you don't agree with them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

• Like 3

As an after thought, wouldn't it be fabulous to have a competition purely for professional dancers of all styles, for me that would keep me on the edge of my seat.

To be honest I find these type of 'competitions' frustrating! How can 3 random judges (no doubt skilled in their own fields) make a valid comparison between, for example, someone like Daniel and a pair of (very cute) sisters age 5 and 3!

Personally I would like to see fewer 'competitions' and more (live or recorded) actual performances, be it ballet, other dance forms, plays or whatever. There are many talented, working professional performers in this country who deserve a wider platform, and TV viewers should be able to see and enjoy top class performances (ok, cloud cukoo land!)

The whole point of a dancers training (IMO) is to enable them to perform for an audience, not to compete to outdo each other!

• Like 6

I've long thought that "Got to Dance" should have different age categories with a winner in each one. Even if they had three - Younger children, teens, and adults - it would be fairer than it is now.

There will always be a percentage of voters who will vote for children, regardless of said child's technique, just because they are "cute".

i dont think tutugood said anything wrong and this is why i dont like forums, as regular members end up ganging up on newbies for voicing their opinion!

well said tutugood, i agree more ballet less street dance!

Nobody is "ganging up" Balletlovesme. We try our best to be a welcoming forum where all opinions are valid as long as they are respectful.

Folks, please stick to discussing the show, not other posters. I don't want to have to lock this thread.

Thanks.

• Like 5

Yay to Daniel Jones for making sure ballet is represented on GTD. One day there may be a show like this prime time show from Russia - in the meantime, making sure all the street dancers have some competition is great.

and to go back to my often overdone sports analogies - look at Superstars. Different sports all competing against one another. I'm sure people won't say the Brownlea brothers are demeaning themselves. It's just a different challenge. Look at the negative coverage 'Splash' has got - but then I bet every diving club in the UK is having more enquiries than it ever had before. Prime time diving... that would not have happened 5 years ago. Good on em!

How about having a ballet version of Strictly Come Dancing? that would be interesting. Carlos Acosta partnering Karen Gillan,  Benedict Cumberbatch partnering Sarah Lamb. What other combinations could there be?

and of course, everyone is entitled to their own view - even when watching the same show. After all, I voted for the superbly talented John and Edward! (Ok, I didn't really...)

finally, if you haven't seen it, take a look at www.boysdoballet.com along with all the other super boys ballet sites. Let's get more boys dancing, oh and GO Daniel!

• Like 6

I agree with Rosy. I would like to see more dance performances (as opposed to competitions) on television and not just on Sky Arts and channels that you have to subscribe to. After all, we the taxpayers are funding the RB and other companies and we should be able to see some performances on television free of charge. In the past, apparently, much more ballet was shown on the BBC including some more unusual works. The RB's interest now seems to lie in screening to cinemas. I was most impressed by Bayerische Staatsballett's live (and free!) web transmission of their Nutcracker last December. Perhaps some more companies could do this.

• Like 1

How fabulous would "Strictly Ballet" be!?

It's at times like this that I'd love to be a very rich Producer. As well as commissioning that, I would also put on a new production of "West Side Story" in London, with Julian Ovenden as Tony and Sierra Boggess as Maria.....

You're right about "Superstars" though, I do like that show. :-)

i dont think tutugood said anything wrong and this is why i dont like forums, as regular members end up ganging up on newbies for voicing their opinion!

well said tutugood, i agree more ballet less street dance!

Not wishing to drag off topic but I just want to assure Balletlovesme that regular posters do not gang up on newbie posters, this forum is full of very caring posters who do their best to enlighten and support each other.  This moderators/forum looks after all posters and welcomes their comments - however I do object to being called ignorant especially by a fellow poster who doesnt know me - sorry if Tutugood felt unhappy about the responses but her reply was a little hurtful.

Edited by BankruptMum
  • Like 2

Thanks to DavidW for posting the clip as I was sad to have missed it at the weekend. All I felt at the end of the piece was that it was "nice". Very careful and, well....nice. I know he only had two hours but with his extensive experience I would have preferred to see something with more energy and excitement. Wish him all the best though. Always pleased to see ballet represented, especially male dancers :) Good luck Daniel!

• Like 3

I've long thought that "Got to Dance" should have different age categories with a winner in each one. Even if they had three - Younger children, teens, and adults - it would be fairer than it is now.

There will always be a percentage of voters who will vote for children, regardless of said child's technique, just because they are "cute".

Couldn't agree more - hijacking the thread slightly - last year dd age 13 entered a talent show at a holiday park, and did a solo ballet piece on pointe, and was beaten into second place by a 3-year-old singing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'.

The funny thing is, dd grinned and said to me beforehand, "I know I won't win, cos I'm bound to be beaten by some little kid singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". I don't care, I just want to dance". She took it all with a pinch of salt and actually thought it was quite funny...

Strangely, over the next couple of days, loads of people (including most of the entertainment staff and even one of the judges) came up to us and said it was a travesty and she should have won.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall at the 'Winners Weekend' at October half-term - would there have been a sea of toddlers all singing the same thing...??!

• Like 2

As another mum of a male professional ballet dancer (I still love saying that!) I was delighted to see Daniel on the show. I wasn't overly keen on the choreo and would've liked a bit more "oomph" in his performance, but was really pleased to see him in it and am hoping to see more of him later - and it can only be good for ballet - I love some of the street dance but wasn't it fab to see how impressed they were to watch a professional ballet dancer. I wanted to shout "Yes, see, ballet's really hard and you have to practise for years to be this good".

I'd also like to agree with my fellow mod and say that we are a welcoming and supportive place for ballet fans/students/parents/dancers alike, and the Acceptable Use Policy, which everyone agrees to, clearly states that people should be respectful to eachother .

Good luck Daniel!

• Like 5

I wanted to shout "Yes, see, ballet's really hard and you have to practise for years to be this good".

Probably a good reason not to have a Strictly Ballet.  That certainly appears to be what Tamara Rojo thinks, anyway.

• Like 1

There is, of course, ENB's Emerging Dancer Competition whereby 6 up and coming dancers are elected to compete by their peers and company management. This year's line up (in no particular order) is:

Laurretta Summerscales, Nancy Osbaldeston, Alison McWhinney, Guilherme Menezes, Nathan Young and Ken Saruhashi.

They will each dance two pieces of their choosing before a Panel of judges including Darcey and Tamara on 4th March at the Queen Elizabeth Hall. Tickets are available from the Southank Centre. Previous winners have been Anais Chalendard, Shiori Kase and Yonah Acosta.

There is also The People's Choice Award wherein ENB's audience has, since last October, been given the chance to vote for "their favourite dancer" on the back of the cast sheets. Previous winners have been Crystal Costa, Anton Lukovkin and Yonah Acosta.

• Like 1