Sarasota Ballet 2023-24 season

What an interesting and varied season.  I've said it before and I will say it again...I think it's a real, real shame that it has been left to an American company to fly the flag for the founder choreographer of our two Royal companies.  And thank goodness for Sarasota, otherwise much of Sir Fred's output would be lost altogether.  

• Like 12

And probably a very good job that Iain Webb's contract has been extended by another 10 years - something we don't seem to have reported on directly, but it's here:

https://mailchi.mp/sarasotaballet.org/in-step-with-the-sarasota-ballet-2023-march?

Admittedly, some of the works shown probably work better on a smaller stage than the Royal Opera House's.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, alison said:

And probably a very good job that Iain Webb's contract has been extended by another 10 years - something we don't seem to have reported on directly.

Admittedly, some of the works shown probably work better on a smaller stage than the Royal Opera House's.

There's always the Linbury....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, alison said:

Too small, perhaps?  The Las Hermanas set would presumably fill it.

Well if the main stage is too big and the Linbury too small, I suppose that scuppers it.  Las Hermanas?  Sorry, I am talking about Ashton's works....

1 hour ago, Sim said:

What an interesting and varied season.  I've said it before and I will say it again...I think it's a real, real shame that it has been left to an American company to fly the flag for the founder choreographer of our two Royal companies.  And thank goodness for Sarasota, otherwise much of Sir Fred's output would be lost altogether.  

I so agree with you, Sim - about it being a shame - but in a way I think it may be only fitting - as these things so often come out in the wash.  I say that because in the very early 80's I remember being in a wonderful chat session with Ashton at the glory that is the NYPL in Lincoln Center and he said more than once that he felt 'more appreciated in America than anywhere else'.  He was, certainly, a visionary.  Next time you are in New York you can listen to him saying such.  The recording is happily extant.  

• Like 1

The Sarasota programme is excellent, and is a good example of what I posted previously about how a triple bill needs careful thought to make it interesting and balanced.  Not just three single act ballets by the same choreographer, although programme 4 does this. However I am not familiar with his work  it may be to attract a particular audience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

And probably a very good job that Iain Webb's contract has been extended by another 10 years - something we don't seem to have reported on directly, but it's here:

https://mailchi.mp/sarasotaballet.org/in-step-with-the-sarasota-ballet-2023-march?

Wash your keyboard out with soap Alison - Ian included the news in Links on 15th March!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, oncnp said:

For you Ashton experts...if I were to choose one program to attend, which would you recommend?

I’m no expert, but these are such rare picks that I’ve never even heard of Ashton’s Sinfonietta to music by Australian composer (and former Master of the Queen’s music) Malcolm Williamson, being more familiar with Kylian’s Sinfonietta to Janacek’s music. I have seen Dante Sonata - quite dramatic and sad (no pointe work, almost like contemporary dance), Varii Capricci reminds me a little of MacMillan’s La Fin du jour, but it’s quite lively and there’s a pas de quatre for 4 men which Sarasota Ballet’s dancers were excellent in. I think it would have to be down to your personal preferences.

Sarasota Ballet has clips of them online to help choose and there is a clip of BRB’s Hirata and Morales dancing a pas de deux from it on YouTube posted by ROH (Insights into Frederick Ashton). 

I’d be happy with any of them. If pushed to choose, would probably pick Dante Sonata with Company B because I’m curious to see the Liang premiere. But really, I would go to the other two as well if I was around for all three. Lucky Sarasota audiences. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I think I'd go for programmes 2 and 3 but it all looks very inviting!

Me too.  I really like the look of 3 especially, even without any Ashton.  I love all three pieces.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I’m no expert, but these are such rare picks that I’ve never even heard of Ashton’s Sinfonietta to music by Australian composer (and former Master of the Queen’s music) Malcolm Williamson, being more familiar with Kylian’s Sinfonietta to Janacek’s music. I have seen Dante Sonata - quite dramatic and sad (no pointe work, almost like contemporary dance), Varii Capricci reminds me a little of MacMillan’s La Fin du jour, but it’s quite lively and there’s a pas de quatre for 4 men which Sarasota Ballet’s dancers were excellent in. I think it would have to be down to your personal preferences.

Sarasota Ballet has clips of them online to help choose and there is a clip of BRB’s Hirata and Morales dancing a pas de deux from it on YouTube posted by ROH (Insights into Frederick Ashton). 

I’d be happy with any of them. If pushed to choose, would probably pick Dante Sonata with Company B because I’m curious to see the Liang premiere. But really, I would go to the other two as well if I was around for all three. Lucky Sarasota audiences. 

Sorry - typo: dancing a pas de deux from Dante Sonata (not sure how my autocorrect changed Dante Sonata to “it”)! 

5 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

I see me too of ROH/Linbury…. Are they coming to UK? Do hope so!

I emailed Mr Webb a while ago, after the brilliant Lockdown programmes they livestreamed; all that Ashton(!) and asked if there was any chance Sarasota could come to the UK. He was enthusiastic about the idea but said it was unlikely because of cost and also said 'the first step would be an invitation from one of the theatres', so venue obviously important. He concluded by saying 'if you ever find yourself looking for a warm holiday destination, it would be lovely to see you here in Sarasota' which I thought was lovely even though I'm never likely to go.

• Like 7

• 5 months later...
On 11/04/2023 at 19:18, Emeralds said:

Varii Capricci reminds me a little of MacMillan’s La Fin du jour, but it’s quite lively and there’s a pas de quatre for 4 men which Sarasota Ballet’s dancers were excellent in.

Not sure if this is the best thread to post this in, but there are some clips here:

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Choreographer Jessica Lang Joins The Sarasota Ballet as Artist in Residence

The Sarasota Ballet is excited to announce a new, three-year partnership with renowned choreographer Jessica Lang. Ms. Lang’s appointment as Artist in Residence begins with the 2023 – 2024 Season.

Director Iain Webb has this to say on the collaboration, “Jessica and I have known each other for some years. And it’s no secret that I’ve been a huge admirer of her work. Working with her last year on the premiere of Shades of Spring made it apparent that we should continue this collaboration. The energy between Jessica and the dancers was undeniable, and having her as Artist in Residence for the next three years is an exciting new chapter for the Company.”

Since 1999, Ms. Lang has created more than 100 original works for companies worldwide, including American Ballet Theatre, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Pacific Northwest Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet, the National Ballet of Japan, The Joffrey Ballet, and her eponymous Company Jessica Lang Dance.

Jessica Lang said, “I feel really confident that my work aligns very well with the expectations of The Sarasota Ballet audiences. The success my first creation, Shades of Spring, had with the Company's tour to New York City and its Sarasota premiere just scratched the surface of creative possibilities. The value I can provide, and my global experience as a director and choreographer, will be exciting for the community. I hope they feel a sense of pride that the Company has selected me to be the Artist in Residence. It is a significant achievement for all of us, and I can't wait to begin.”

9 hours ago, oncnp said:

Jessica Lang said, “I feel really confident that my work aligns very well with the expectations of The Sarasota Ballet audiences. The success my first creation, Shades of Spring, had with the Company's tour to New York City and its Sarasota premiere just scratched the surface of creative possibilities. The value I can provide, and my global experience as a director and choreographer, will be exciting for the community. I hope they feel a sense of pride that the Company has selected me to be the Artist in Residence. It is a significant achievement for all of us, and I can't wait to begin.”

She does rather make it sound as if all the benefit will be on the side of the company and community who will be fortunate to have her... nevertheless, I hope it is indeed a good collaboration for the company.

• Like 5