RBS Junior Associates 2023

AllAboutTheJourney

You can ask to change the time. I have heard of parents that have requested previously. However, like @Millicent I didn’t want to ask, so i just took what I was given. My daughter struggled to come to terms with leaving her Saturday classes at first and there was one point in the first term where she was debating leaving JAs so she could resume her Saturday classes! More of a comfort thing I believe and once she started to enjoy the JA classes and made some friends she settled in well. She still misses her Saturday classes at her dance school however you can’t do it all and I believe the JA classes have been a brilliant foundation for her technique/artistry but also a whole range of experiences she would never have had I.e. audition for Royal Ballet works, watch rehearsals etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Thelittleswans said:

You can ask to change the time. I have heard of parents that have requested previously. However, like @Millicent I didn’t want to ask, so i just took what I was given. My daughter struggled to come to terms with leaving her Saturday classes at first and there was one point in the first term where she was debating leaving JAs so she could resume her Saturday classes! More of a comfort thing I believe and once she started to enjoy the JA classes and made some friends she settled in well. She still misses her Saturday classes at her dance school however you can’t do it all and I believe the JA classes have been a brilliant foundation for her technique/artistry but also a whole range of experiences she would never have had I.e. audition for Royal Ballet works, watch rehearsals etc. 

Thank you, I think it will hit my daughter quite hard to begin with if she needs to stop her Saturday morning classes. But wow, what an opportunity she’s been given. 

I’m also really surprised they don’t get assessed for Y6 as I too have been led to believe (from social media) that the kids only move up a year if they pass an assessment. 

2 hours ago, Millicent said:

Yes you automatically go into Y6 if you have a Y4 or Y5 place.

When applying I think you could request either 26 weeks or 32 weeks but once you have an offer I think you just need to graciously accept! And you can't request a different time of day. My DD missed out on Saturday classes at her local studio for 3 years but it was definitely worth it.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Thelittleswans said:

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Tendu_mum said:

Thank you, I think it will hit my daughter quite hard to begin with if she needs to stop her Saturday morning classes. But wow, what an opportunity she’s been given. 

I’m also really surprised they don’t get assessed for Y6 as I too have been led to believe (from social media) that the kids only move up a year if they pass an assessment. 

A few years ago now for us but my DD said after audition that she enjoyed it but didn’t want to do it because she didn’t want to give up her Saturday classes… 4 years later she’s enjoyed 3 wonderful years as a JA, a year of Mids and looking forward to year 8 in Sept. 

JAs is a wonderful journey. Both my daughter and I have made life long friends and have experienced things that we would never have done had we not received that wonderful email in 2019. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Millicent said:

Yes you automatically go into Y6 if you have a Y4 or Y5 place.

When applying I think you could request either 26 weeks or 32 weeks but once you have an offer I think you just need to graciously accept! And you can't request a different time of day. My DD missed out on Saturday classes at her local studio for 3 years but it was definitely worth it.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

When dd1 was a JA and they did in class assessments each year. Some were told they wouldn't be given a place for the following year......unless it has changed recently?

I think where there are children that aren’t benefitting they don’t continue and you do receive an email each year to say you have been offered another year but there’s no formal assessment like mids. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Workhard_Dreambig said:

A few years ago now for us but my DD said after audition that she enjoyed it but didn’t want to do it because she didn’t want to give up her Saturday classes… 4 years later she’s enjoyed 3 wonderful years as a JA, a year of Mids and looking forward to year 8 in Sept. 

JAs is a wonderful journey. Both my daughter and I have made life long friends and have experienced things that we would never have done had we not received that wonderful email in 2019. 

Thank you. This sounds really positive! I hope our RBS journey is as wonderful as yours 💖

6 hours ago, kimsballet said:

Really good to know thank you. A couple of questions if possible?! So sorry!...

- What was cost attached to these please?

- Were they about once a month?

- What approx. time of day were they?

Thank you!

I'd love to know this too,  if anyone knows 🤗

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jennyballet said:

For London, there would be no point asking to switch times as the timetable for next year is such that both year 6 classes are running at the same time and both year 4/5 classes are running at the same time. Hope that helps.

Ok thank you. Do you happen to know what times they are? 

9 hours ago, kimsballet said:

Thank you!

There are around 10 sessions over the 6 months so it’s works out around every 2 weeks, occasionally a 3 week gap. The classes were in the morning into early afternoon. 

Edited by Bunhead13
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Bunhead13 said:

There are around 10 sessions over the 6 months so it’s works out around every 2 weeks, occasionally a 3 week gap. The classes were in the morning into early afternoon. 

Thanks so much for the information! Really helpful.

What was the cost of them approximately please? Thank you!

@dance5678 There are a couple of schools and locations you could be referring to. Both are phenomenal teachers, but also the more students you prepare for auditions and the more experience you have of seeing who is successful and who isn't, the better you get at putting the "right" children forward and making sure they show themselves in the best light. There is also an element of auditioning being part of the culture of a school. Some excellent schools don't allow students to audition; others encourage it. Also, the more children you advertise as being JAs, the more it attracts the kind of families who want to audition. And sometimes a school just gets lucky with a particular generation of gifted students! Lots of factors at play.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thank you this is really interesting. I have a child wanting to apply next year so I have been watching this years acceptances with interest. We are not a dancing family and wondered if there were preferred schools the RBS look for or work with. I presume not, your reply was really helpful thank you. Would you say there is an advantage of joining one of these schools for the next year onward? We are Midlands based, for any advice. 

3 hours ago, dance5678 said:

Thank you this is really interesting. I have a child wanting to apply next year so I have been watching this years acceptances with interest. We are not a dancing family and wondered if there were preferred schools the RBS look for or work with. I presume not, your reply was really helpful thank you. Would you say there is an advantage of joining one of these schools for the next year onward? We are Midlands based, for any advice. 

I have noticed this in the past too and it probably is a mix of things. My daughter didn’t get into JA in year 6 in spite of having been encouraged to apply  by a JA teacher on another RBS related course. She was much taller than the others at the time and it felt like there was a certain type they were looking for. I think the successful candidates were more prepared than my daughter was and maybe gave a better vibe (more confident and sure of what was going on) at the audition, thanks to their teachers being experienced at putting children forward. 4 years later my DD tried again for RBS SA and was successful. By then she was much more average looking in terms of height etc and had all the splits etc they look for. So in conclusion perhaps going to a school that has connections  does help but I can’t tell you for sure! Sometimes the RBS teacher also happens to teach at associates and I guess that might have a small influence. When it comes to changing schools I would only do that if there were other reasons to move. 

@dance5678 I wouldn't move your child only for that reason. There is a lot more to be said for loyalty and sticking with a teacher who knows and has nurtured your child's love of dance up until now. First of all, I would speak to your child's current teacher about your aspirations as they will be best placed to advise you. 

Be careful of conflating correlation with causation @dance5678

As @MissEmily so rightly points out there are many factors why particular schools may have a lot of JAs and it isn't necessarily because the teachers there are "better" . Aside from anything else, it must be a fairly big school that even has 12 pupils who want  to be JAs and simply having a bigger pool of pupils will make a difference. It's easy to see those numbers and assume the studio is crammed with such pupils, but how many do they have who are unsuccessful or don't audition? And in locations where there are plenty of schools people tend to gravitate to ones with a particular style, so you'll not uncommonly get a school that "collects" the ballet enthusiasts, another where all the best tappers go and so on. 

Not that its a bad thing to go to a ballet focused school if you are a ballet focused child of course and if you move for that reason then fair enough, but personally, unless you are unhappy with your current school I wouldn't move just to try to boost chances of getting into JAs. Aside from the fact that a lot of it depends on physical characteristics so a change of teacher wont necessarily make any difference anyway, at this age in particular there is a lot to be said for learning a range of styles and being with friends in a happy environment. As you will see written here many, many times, it's the journey that matters. The probability of any young dancer, even those who get into JAs and subsequently full time training, having a lasting career as a professional ballet dancer is absolutely tiny, so it is crucial that they are happy and fulfilled along their dancing journey. So I'd say move if you think your DD would be happier in a different school, and don't if not.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 14:03, kimsballet said:

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Satin2014 said:

I think there have been a few answers to some of this- sounds like the online Associates are Sunday mornings, and I guess 12 sessions it says online divided over Sept to March? - so every few weeks I guess.

I'm not sure what the cost was though!

If that helps :)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DanceMum82 said:

I have received an email this morning for my DD as a place has become available and she's been offered a space for sept. I'm beyond excited for her and can't wait to pick her up from school to break the news 💞

Amazing news! 

Huge congratulations to your child!

Edited by kimsballet
  • Thanks 1