Erik Bruhn Prize 2023

They are dancing the Grand Pas Classique at the competition. Mackenzie Brown is great, she did Aurora, Olga in Onegin and other solo roles already, but I like her even more in modern pieces. Figueredo was injured a lot, but when he dances, his lyrical style can be pure magic.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, NiniGabriel said:

Unfortunately, it is also announced that Gabriel Figueredo from the Stuttgart Ballet will not be taking part. He is replaced by Principal Adhonay Soares da Silva, who does not take part in the competition. 😭

Oh wow. Hope he is not injured or still suffering from Covid. I cross my fingers for Mackenzie Brown.❤️

23 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

Hope he is not injured or still suffering from Covid.

A new press release by Stuttgart Ballet says, he had "unforeseen difficulties entering Toronto". He is Brazilian, I don't know what could have happened. His career has developed very unlucky until now, I must say, he is such a incredible talent.

• Like 1

The Royal Ballet pair are part of the younger recently joined  corps de Ballet but both have been catching peoples eyes separately in performances of late including mine so wishing them all the luck ….definitely a pair to look out for in the future. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, LinMM said:

The Royal Ballet pair are part of the younger recently joined  corps de Ballet but both have been catching peoples eyes separately in performances of late including mine so wishing them all the luck ….definitely a pair to look out for in the future. 

Absolutely....

• Like 2

He had to cancel his début as Desiré in Sleeping Beauty in 2020 due to injury, a few weeks before the lockdown. Then during the pandemic, he couldn't participate in a Stuttgart tour to Japan in 2022, he has been injured or sick for a long while now. The Erik Bruhn Prize would have been his next chance to shine on the international stage. Let's hope he'll be back soon, he is an exceptional dancer. 

• Like 2

I'm watching the competition online and all couples have danced their classical pas de deux.    Pantuso and Ikaraishi were wonderful.  She is an absolute delight and very expressive with a beautiful effortlessness. He is jaw-droppingly brilliant and seemingly totally happy to be dancing for us. 

• Like 4

Those were my picks, hooray!  

To be honest there was no competition on the male side, Daichi was in a different class from the others.   ABT should have sent Takumi Miyake (RB School) from their studio company.  Maybe he’ll get a chance another time. 

Amongst the ballerinas I thought Chloe Misseldine (ABT) was a close second to Mackenzie.  Mackenzie had more moments of control in her classical solo and more dynamic in her contemporary.   Chloe’s tutu and headdress in the classical should have won their own prize … magnificent.  

Edited by FionaE
  • Like 2

If you ever ask why the infamous Marco Goecke is so important for modern choreography - Roman Novitzky's creation was proof of his influence. All nervous, all arms, and the choice of music. It's interesting that ABT is still stuck in the Forsythe phase of modern choreography.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed watching this, despite the late hour, so pleased more of these events are actually streamed live.

Yes, congratulations to all three winners, they certainly deserved it! I loved Roman Novitzky‘s piece „A Dialogue“ which l thought combined storytelling with exciting to watch moves and real spirit.

Loved Daichi, too, although I do have a hunch that had Gabriel Figueredo been able to participate there might well have been three prizes for Stuttgart.

6 hours ago, FionaE said:

To be honest there was no competition on the male side, Daichi was in a different class from the others.   

Absolutely agree with this. Watched on my tiny phone screen and was still in awe of the height of his jumps - he sailed across the stage. 
I couldn’t face staying up to watch it all because of the time change and the late hour! Thrilled to see that he won!

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Christine said:

Loved Daichi, too, although I do have a hunch that had Gabriel Figueredo been able to participate there might well have been three prizes for Stuttgart.

Pleeease don’t let’s take anything away from the dancer(s) who won.

Congratulations to them and to all the participants.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, capybara said:

Pleeease don’t let’s take anything away from the dancer(s) who won.

Congratulations to them and to all the participants.

My post was certainly not intended to take anything away from any of the competing dancers and without any doubt, Daichi absolutely deserved this prize, his was a stunning performance!

I just indulged in a little bit home pride of Stuttgart Ballet. So I am sorry if I caused offence.

3 hours ago, Angela said:

If you ever ask why the infamous Marco Goecke is so important for modern choreography - Roman Novitzky's creation was proof of his influence. All nervous, all arms, and the choice of music. It's interesting that ABT is still stuck in the Forsythe phase of modern choreography.

Yes and sorry I had his Name wrong (Roman, not Jan), it was laate last night 🙈 

As for Biel Figueredo, maybe there was an issue with his passport, because he posted a picture of himself in costume for yesterday's "ONE of a kind" premiere in Stuttgart. 🙄

Edited by Sabine0308

9 hours ago, FionaE said:

Those were my picks, hooray!  

To be honest there was no competition on the male side, Daichi was in a different class from the others.   ABT should have sent Takumi Miyake (RB School) from their studio company.  Maybe he’ll get a chance another time. 

Amongst the ballerinas I thought Chloe Misseldine (ABT) was a close second to Mackenzie.  Mackenzie had more moments of control in her classical solo and more dynamic in her contemporary.   Chloe’s tutu and headdress in the classical should have won their own prize … magnificent.  

Completely agree with all FionaE said. Thought Chloe and MacKenzie were en par until the Contemporary when Mackenzie Brown blew everybody out of the water. Totally amazing ! And what a fabulous piece. Daichi danced beautifully but as said above there was no competition. Loved the non competing boy from Stuttgart who also danced beautifully and came across as a warm and caring partner. Found the Canadian couple to be a strange choice especially as the competition was on their home turf, felt that they really struggled through their classical piece. Interesting that with the exception of Daichi, all competitors were American.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sabine0308 said:

because he posted a picture of himself in costume for yesterday's "ONE of a kind" premiere in Stuttgart.

Yes, he was in the Kylián on Saturday evening. Though I love "One of a kind", the Grand Pas Classique would have suited Figueredo better. But he's back on stage! 😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jane S said:

Reminder that it's still available to watch - though  a bit bumpy on my screen.

Now unavailable! It was a pity it started late last night, not on time. I watched the first couple but was disappointed when the second couple also chose Grand Pas Classique (an overrated piece in my view, was only bearable when Sylvie used to send it up with her everlasting holds on point and delicious grins) so went to bed, given the hour change. This morning I could tell it was still available but didn't have time to watch. And now the message comes up as unavailable.

Might it appear on YouTube?

15 hours ago, Josette said:

Pantuso and Ikaraishi were wonderful.  She is an absolute delight and very expressive with a beautiful effortlessness. He is jaw-droppingly brilliant and seemingly totally happy to be dancing for us. 

Yes I agree ...they were a super pair. Much promise for RB's future with youngsters of this quality. 

I thought it a bit weird that two of the other  couples both did  the Grand Pas. Both couples did struggle  with the timing when they had to drop down on one knee together (sorry I don't have a better technical term). It is so  impressive when a couple judge it correctly, as per both times I have seen Bracewell dance it (with Magri and Nunez respectivelly)....but then we are talking of established Principals!

Anyway, well done all.

• Like 1