Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Swan Lake - Southampton, Birmingham, Salford, Sunderland, Plymouth, Edinburgh (Feb-Apr 2023)

BRB began their spring 2023 of Peter Wright and Galina Samsova’s glorious production of Swan Lake on Thursday 2 Feb 2023 (Candlemas or Groundhog Day, depending on what traditions you follow if any 😉) at the Mayflower, Southampton. (Obscure puns/references unintended). Am due to travel to catch one of these performances later, and am quite excited to see this version (one of my favourites) which I haven’t seen in years. Looking forward to reading reviews, thoughts or opinions from members who have watched it in Southampton. 🎼🦢

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Or casting here, if wishing to compare each venue (more convenient than clicking each date on the website) -

On 09/01/2023 at 10:12, Jan McNulty said:

kMrMIr2u1x43copxpfO_Ec3-D4L1dsi2XRz3DtpMFMmdAIaWpW4O9k84v38yR7vapsy0ZB4qD1lgZqfsG6PX5UqoMUtKSyCeRko-QbIMTKqwA8Hq-8pJsuYOF9UnQ2Y1McSA83wnLrXezpD2GbCbcOqBAJPbCsvXMOMWY8jDWnUP3YngMLNtNkCfX16VVAWQUNQX0wC3SA

PRESS RELEASE

9 January 2023

BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET’S SWAN LAKE TO TOUR THE UK IN SPRING 2023

217301.thumb.jpg.92f57259912d8b25640eb0b68650ec69.jpg

For spring 2023, ballet’s greatest love story returns in Birmingham Royal Ballet’s revival of Sir Peter Wright and Galina Samsova’s glorious journey into Swan Lake, a lavish production in which the Royal Ballet Sinfonia performs Tchaikovsky’s superb music live alongside BRB’s spectacular dancers. This romantic fable of ill-fated passion has bewitched audiences for generations and will tour to the Mayflower Theatre, Southampton; Birmingham Hippodrome; The Lowry, Salford; Sunderland Empire, Theatre Royal Plymouth and, for the first time, Edinburgh Festival Theatre from January - March 2023.

This treasured production of Swan Lake is the third in a trio of Sir Peter Wright’s exquisite ballets performed by the company this season, following the first revival in five years of the joyous classic Coppélia in October, and the world-famous production of The Nutcracker at the Birmingham Hippodrome, following a million-pound refurbishment, for Christmas.

217310.thumb.jpg.8f42a7e375909576cb8845cd746d288f.jpg

The tour will also include guest performances from two of the world’s greatest dancers. Vadim Muntagirov, Principal Dancer with The Royal Ballet, will perform the role of Prince Siegfried at Theatre Royal Plymouth on Friday 17th and Saturday 18th March and Polina Semionova, Resident Guest Principal Artist with the Berlin State Ballet and former Principal Artist with The American Ballet Theatre in New York, will guest perform the iconic dual lead role of Odette and Odile at the Birmingham Hippodrome on Friday 17 and Saturday 18 February. 

Prince Siegfried is out hunting one night when he happens upon a flock of graceful swans. When one of them turns into a beautiful woman, the Prince is utterly smitten – but Odette explains that she has fallen under an evil spell cast by the evil Baron von Rothbart, which keeps her in swan form from dawn to dusk. Can Siegfried's love break the spell? Find out in this exquisite production of a true ballet classic.

Swan Lake will visit the Mayflower Theatre, Southampton (2-4 February); Birmingham Hippodrome (15-25 February); The Lowry, Salford (2-4 March); Sunderland Empire (9-11 March); Theatre Royal Plymouth (15-18 March) and Festival Theatre, Edinburgh (30 March-1 April).

217306.thumb.jpg.c98f6114997e06185fdd65eba4b60190.jpg

Notes to Editors

Choreography: Peter Wright, Lev Ivanov, Marius Petipa
Music: Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Production: Peter Wright, Galina Samsova
Designs: Philip Prowse
Lighting: Peter Teigen

Principal Casting:

Southampton

Thurs Eve 02 Feb Gittens Lawrence Ito

Fri Eve 03 Feb Shang Maslen Feng

Sat Mat 04 Feb Kurihara Singleton Payne

Sat Eve 04 Feb Gittens Lawrence Ito

Birmingham Week One

Weds Eve 15 Feb Mizutani Morales Feng

Thurs Mat 16 Feb Kurihara Monaghan Bejarano

Thurs Eve 16 Feb Shang Maslen Payne

Fri Eve 17 Feb Semionova* Lawrence* Ito*

Sat Mat 18 Feb Shang Maslen Feng

Sat Eve 18 Feb Semionova* Lawrence* Ito*

Sun Mat 19 Feb Kurihara* Monaghan* Bejarano*

*Casting subject to change*

Birmingham Week two

Tues Eve 21 Feb Mizutani Morales Payne

Weds Eve 22 Feb Hirata Dingman Bejarano

Thurs Mat 23 Feb Shang Maslen Feng

Thurs Eve 23 Feb Gittens Lawrence Ito

Fri Eve 24 Feb Downs Singleton Payne

Sat Mat 25 Feb Mizutani Morales Bejarano

Sat Eve 25 Feb Hirata Dingman Feng

Salford

Thurs Eve 02 Mar Hirata Dingman Bejarano

Fri Eve 03 Mar Mizutani Morales Feng

Sat Mat 04 Mar Parma Chou Payne

Sat Eve 04 Mar Downs Singleton Ito

Sunderland

Thurs Eve 09 Mar Parma Chou Ito

Fri Mat 10 Mar Zhang Feng Bejarano

Fri Eve 10 Mar Kurihara Monaghan Payne

Sat Mat 11 Mar Downs Singleton Ito

Plymouth

Weds Eve 15 Mar Hirata Dingman Payne

Thurs Mat 16 Mar Zhang Feng Bejarano

Thurs Eve 16 Mar Parma Chou Payne

Fri Eve 17 Mar Gittens Muntagirov Ito

Sat Mat 18 Mar Kurihara Monaghan Feng

Sat Eve 18 Mar Gittens Muntagirov Ito

Edinburgh

Thurs Eve 30 Mar Gittens Lawrence Ito

Fri Eve 31 Mar Hirata Dingman Feng

Sat Mat 01 April Mizutani Morales Payne

Listings:

Southampton Mayflower Theatre: 2–4 February 2023

Birmingham Hippodrome: 15–25 February 2023

The Lowry, Salford: 2–4 March 2023

Sunderland Empire: 9–11 March 2023

Theatre Royal Plymouth: 15–18 March 2023

Edinburgh Festival Theatre: 30 March–1 April 2023

Notes to Editors: 

Birmingham Royal Ballet

Based at Birmingham Hippodrome, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading touring ballet company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future.

The Company’s Director since January 2020 is the internationally renowned Carlos Acosta.

Birmingham Royal Ballet standardly performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas. On average, the Company performs 175 shows a year nationally and internationally.

The Royal Ballet Sinfonia is Birmingham Royal Ballet’s permanent orchestra, it is also Britain's busiest ballet orchestra. The Sinfonia also plays frequently for The Royal Ballet and other leading ballet companies, including performances withParis Opéra Ballet, New York City Ballet, Australian Ballet, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, the Kirov, Norwegian Ballet, Atlanta Ballet, San Francisco Ballet and La Scala Ballet.

(With thanks to Janet for posting)

Edited by Emeralds

Yesterday I watched two enjoyable shows. The production pleased for the most part but left something to be desired when it came to the national dances: The corps shone out and the Act IV curtain reveal got its own gasps of astonishment and round of applause from both full houses. Impressive from the stalls in the afternoon but particularly stunning when viewed from above in the evening. It is the first time I’ve been to the Mayflower when the balcony was open and the theatre was literally full to the rafters. Celine Gittens & Brandon Lawrence were a mouthwatering watch.

Worth an awayday anytime imho. 

1A034354-C677-4610-9577-1997882EF2FB.jpeg

• Like 7

16 hours ago, PeterS said:

Yijing Zhang & Tyrone Singleton at the matinee curtain call. I had to dash for the station so had to miss the evening curtain call.

1C20B3F0-8484-4C23-B15C-24DBCE8126CE.jpeg

Great reviews and great photos (including the cast lists), PeterS! Really informative.

Lovely photo of Yijing and Tyrone- they look like they’re still in character, conveying the tragedy of Act IV. I loved all the performances they have given in the past (both so versatile), but I think this is the first year I have seen them dance together as a pairing and I love how they both seem to breathe as one - so musical and instinctive as a partnership. I want to see Celine and Brandon too.

Now hoping Carlos will consider bringing their Swan Lake to London in summer as I can’t make numerous train trips up and down the country to catch different shows! (Am already booked for one.) Wonder if he could bring both Coppelia and Swan Lake? Lots of great casts to catch  😊😀(and ones we’ve missed in Coppelia).  One can always be hopeful.  

🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

• Like 2

20 hours ago, alison said:

Frustrating that there were so few performances scheduled: by the time I'd remembered to look, the only performances I could make were all sold out - balcony and all :(

Hope some returns and unwanted comps come back for Alison!

🍀 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CCL said:

Yes, Emeralds! I’m really keen to see BRB perform Swan Lake but dates/locations haven’t worked for me. I’d be delighted if the production came to London!

Probably showing what a fossil I am but I remember seeing this production of Swan Lake at the ROH in the 1990s- twice! One Odette/Odile was guest principal Lisa Pavane, with Greg Horsman, also guesting, as Siegfried. I think the other cast was led by Miyako Yoshida with (drum roll)....current RB boss Kevin O’Hare! But I’m not 100% certain (maybe 95%?)  I saw them in ROH- I might possibly have seen them at Mayflower Southampton, in which case I’m a little unsure who my 2nd pair at ROH were. So I’d love to see the production again in London- the designs are handsome and glorious, and being a Peter Wright production, it is classical and traditional in a good way. 

I see they have that dreaded “pause” between Acts 1 & 2 as well. I wonder if the Mayflower ushers and the stage manager negotiate the lights and telling the audience the music and Act 2 have started better than ENB and the Coliseum did for their Swan Lake? 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CCL said:

Yes, Emeralds! I’m really keen to see BRB perform Swan Lake but dates/locations haven’t worked for me. I’d be delighted if the production came to London!

Me too.  I'm struggling to make it to any of their venues for any of the dates.  I'd love them to bring it to London.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

But would it sell being so soon after ENB?  Forum members know it’s a different production but would the general public?

I think a lot of people couldn’t make it to the ENB & RB Swan Lakes but would be able to do so in summer - warmer weather for travelling, school and college holiday time, lots of tourists visiting for summer. Don Q sold quite well, Swan Lake sells when visiting companies dance it even after RB has just performed it that spring or winter. I think there are still many people who haven’t seen SL who would buy tickets. A run of both Coppelia (5 shows, different cast each show) and Swan Lake (6 shows, 6 different casts-including Celine, Samara and Yijing please) would be even better. 😀

22 hours ago, Emeralds said:

.../

I see they have that dreaded “pause” between Acts 1 & 2 as well. I wonder if the Mayflower ushers and the stage manager negotiate the lights and telling the audience the music and Act 2 have started better than ENB and the Coliseum did for their Swan Lake? 

No they didn't, certainly not on the opening night when many members of the audience got up, pushed past seated members thinking it was an interval only to be sent back to their seats by front of house staff.  This went on for the entirely of the pause.  An announcement before curtain-up would surely have prevented this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree Anne - same issue with the Saturday matinee sadly and it spoilt the first part of the music as I couldn’t hear it.

re the performance- I like this production very much and prefer it to the current RB one. Tyrone Singleton was a handsome prince, Yijing a lyrical white swan. I thought that she was stronger in the white acts, although she was indeed a sly Odile but she seemed to lack energy by the end of the fouettés and lacked the triumphant finish.

I thought that the 4 cygnets were excellent.

the orchestra went at pace.

£35 stalls tickets with no restricted views were great value for a full company, great dancers  and orchestra. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

48ADBC0D-534D-4B7B-8785-359B1F7458ED.jpeg.b66d48a88c07f5476a93aaf0a32975de.jpeg
This afternoon, following stunning performances all round by principals, corps and company, Carlos Acosta came onstage to announce the promotion of Lachlan Monaghan to principal from first soloist with effect from the start of next season. Well deserved. Congratulations!

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 13

Congratulations Lachlan! So well deserved!

These onstage promotions are lovely. The Paris Opera has always done them onstage for etoile promotions as far as I can remember, and nowadays some fans film clips and put them on YouTube, David McAllister and Australian Ballet started doing it onstage recently and filming it officially themselves, and it’s nice to see David Hallberg continuing the practice. Tamara Rojo started doing it at ENB too, although two (Kase, Corrales) were abroad on tour.

I hope Carlos will get them filmed by the company and put on the website/social media pages as they would make great mementos for the dancers being promoted, and their supporters who aren’t at those performances would love to watch it. The expressions on the faces of the dancers being promoted are always wonderful to see! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Yes, we’d been waiting with bated breath as he and Lachlan joined at the same time and have been promoted at the same time ever since.

So well deserved for both dancers.

What a thrilling day!!

I feel so lucky to have been at both performances and to have been at the Don Q performances I Plymouth last year when Carlos did the same for Miki and Shang. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

I feel so lucky to have been at both performances and to have been at the Don Q performances I Plymouth last year when Carlos did the same for Miki and Shang. 

You’ll have to let us all know which BRB performances you’ll be attending this season  :) 

• Like 3

Congratulations to Max and very well deserved too! I’d seen him in many lead and featured roles (unfortunately Lachlan wasn’t cast as the lead in the shows I booked, but in small roles) and thought he danced and acted with the mastery, technique and charisma of a principal- which is not easy to do with a busy schedule juggling corps de ballet duties as well - and was quite surprised that he wasn’t a principal then. Well....not a moment too soon! The promotions are evidence of how strong a company BRB now is. 

• Like 3

Swan Lake

Birmingham Royal Ballet

Birmingham Hippodrome, 15 February, 2023

Cast

Odette/Odile Miki Mizutani

Prince Siegfried Cesar Morales

The Queen Mother Daria Stanciulescu

Baron Von Rothbart   Jonathan Payn

Benno Haoliang Feng

Production:        Sir Peter Wright and Galina Samsova

On Wednesday evening Birmingham Royal Ballet opened a 2-week run of Sir Peter Wright and Galina Samsova’s production of Swan Lake, which was first performed in November 1981.  The season is dedicated to Galina Samsova, who passed away in 2021.

This is a gorgeous, traditional production of Swan Lake with brilliantly gothic designs by Philip Prowse.

ArtistsofBirminghamRoyalBalletSwanLakePhotoEmmaKauldhar.jpg.thumb.jpg.0ecc4920caf1fae411d822c05c5a865f.jpg

The prologue shows the funeral procession for Prince Siegfried’s father, which sets the tone for his melancholy.  Cesar Morales did not follow the coffin with a bowed head but was looking up at the coffin and crown.

Morales is a supremely elegant dancer who, in Act 1, looked as though he had the weight of the world on his shoulders as he came to terms with who he now was and the potential actions that he would be forced to take.  He also gave a presentiment of the tragedy that would unfold.  As Benno, beautifully danced and acted by Haoliang Feng, tried to cheer the Prince up with a party with his friends and courtiers and the gift of a crossbow you could see that Siegfried was mourning the loss of his father and, effectively, of his freedom of choice.  When his Mother arrived (an imperious Daria Stanciulescu) and insisted that he would have to marry his melancholy deepened and even the arrival of the courtesans failed to lift his mood.  He was persuaded to dance with the courtesans in a pas de trios that included an elegiac solo danced with great depth of feeling by Morales.  Karla Doorbar and Beatrice Parma were delightful as the courtesans who could not lift the Prince’s spirits.

As everyone drifted off, Siegfried saw the swans and decided to go hunting to try out his new crossbow.

Siegfried is alone when Odette appears.  Miki Mizutani first entrance showed us the depth of her sadness being trapped in the body of a swan who is allowed to be human for a few hours.  She is a natural Odette who is fragile and melting and who entrances Siegfried.  The interactions between Mizutani and Morales were heartfelt and beautiful to watch.  Jonathan Payn is an effective Rothbart who is hampered by a not-very-scary costume.  He is much more effective in Act 3 where we can see his evilness better.  As Odette is reclaimed by Rothbart, Morales’ Siegfried is left bereft.

MikiMizutani(Odette)CsarMorales(Siegfried)BRBSwanLakePhotoEmmaKauldhar.jpg.thumb.jpg.70e18018d97a3637125ba5588a4dd338.jpg

The swans were immaculate and a joy to watch.  I particularly like the sections where they form a V-shape, reminiscent of how flocks of swans form flying skeins.

In Act 3 the national dances are performed by sumptuously costumed dancers and the Princesses make the most of the opportunity to show disdain to each other, each convinced they will win the hand of the Prince.  Morales has a nice contrast of mood from his bored attempts at ignoring the Princesses to his joy at thinking Odette has returned to him.  Mizutani does not quite give us the sleazy, wicked Odile yet but she dances and acts strongly and it is easy to see why Siegfried is fooled by her.  Morales’ is totally bereft when he realises he has been duped and he rushes off the find Odette.

CsarMorales(Siegfried)BRBSwanLakePhotoEmmaKauldhar.thumb.jpg.407ce114da55ce412f43f5562feedd7e.jpg

MikiMizutani(Odile)BRBSwanLakePhotoEmmaKauldhar.thumb.jpg.8986fa4d6015574a705cfa1e86088329.jpg

Act 4 starts with the swans hidden in a sea of mist and there were gasps from the audience as they appeared.  As with Act 2 they were immaculate and Mizutani gave us a masterclass in desolation and despair.  The tragic climax when first Odette throws herself in the lake and then Siegfried defies Rothbart to join her in death was very emotional.

This production is wonderfully traditional and very well presented by Birmingham Royal Ballet.  Mizutani and Morales gave us a performance to savour and remember.

Photo credits:  Emma Kauldhar

Janet McNulty

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

As well as the wonderful opening night on Wednesday I was privileged to see both performances yesterday.

The matinee was led by Momoko Hirata and Lachlan Monaghan and was quite simply the best performance of Swan Lake I have seen in a long time!  Momoko was so fragile in the white acts and so diamond sharp in the black act - she was a total joy!  Lachlan has always been a strong actor and he gave us a wonderful range of feeling as well as dancing beautifully.  He is a very generous, caring partner and he and Momoko were brilliant together.  The Act 2 adagio was so heartfelt and tender that the tears were tripping me!  They were again at the end.  Then we had the thrill of Carlos Acosta coming on stage and announcing that Lachlan (to whom the news seemed to come as a total surprise and he looked overwhelmed) will be promoted to principal.  Momoko had been presented with a bouquet which she then presented to Lachlan when the news had been announced.

In the evening the cast was led by Yaoqian Shang and Max Maslen who gave us another wonderful and memorable performance.  We had been speculating between shows as to whether there would be another announcement as Lachlan and Max joined at the same time and have been promoted through the ranks at the same time.  We were thrilled to be right and Carlos announced Max's promotion to principal.

(The programme is well worth the money, full of great photographs and interesting features.)

What a couple of days I have had in Birmingham!!

IMG_3871.thumb.jpeg.1cce7b4f8d42c23186d18741a6945796.jpegIMG_3872.thumb.jpeg.3ac768d6eaf24f508cff2d9ba77dfc1f.jpegIMG_3873.thumb.jpeg.7328234de4415c7dc7e590a91ec05187.jpegIMG_3878.thumb.jpeg.77f07fdf8ce27eba0da69066eb505a98.jpeg

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Sim said:

Was anyone lucky enough to be at the Semionova/Lawrence SL tonight?

image.thumb.jpeg.8b061f2412fbf4f4296ce3f02bc33454.jpeg

Yes, I was - just driven the 80 odd miles home. It was quite a night - Brandon Lawrence was impeccable as always but Semionova was just wonderful. Graceful and pure in the white acts (though her tempi were very slow!) and downright evil in Act 3. Huge shout out for the corps of swans - the opening of Act 4 with the swans rising from the mist brought gasps from the audience and a spontaneous round of applause. Also impressed yet again with Riku Ito as Benno - he is such a good acquisition. There was a very good pre-performance event as well with Jonathan Payn interviewing Daria Stanciulescu and newly promoted (and still quite emotional!) Lachlan Monaghan, before dashing off to get ready to play Rothbart

Edited by ChrisG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1