RBS Summer Intensive 2023

Pointeperfect

Guest JessDan167
25 minutes ago, margarite said:

Just a thought but have you checked that your email storage isn’t over quota? This happened to me last month, it froze my email account, with no messages coming in and ones I was trying to send staying in the outbox without my knowledge. I only realised after 24 hours of feeling ignored by everyone! Served me right for never deleting any emails …

Funny you should say that, I thought the same and deleted thousands yesterday, I’m still receiving other emails though x 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Cluelessballetmumof2 said:

Yes I can’t get hold of anyone, just a waiting game I think x 

Hi, I’ve been told the whole summer intensive team are off until Monday, then they’ll be dealing with all the emails on Monday . 

• Like 1

Guest JessDan167

Thanks to everyone that replied to my question about email, it’s popped through eventually and she has waitlist 😀 z

22 hours ago, CVV said:

My DD has a yes for summer and a no for school (not even waiting list) :(

Does anybody has the same thing? Does anybody knows what this combination means?? I suppose SI can’t be an audition afterall.. 

6 hours ago, CVV said:

Does anybody has the same thing? Does anybody knows what this combination means?? I suppose SI can’t be an audition afterall.. 

I’ve heard of people having a yes for school and no for summer intensive. They’re separate. I would take it as a no for the school but you have a place on the summer intensive and it’s up to you if you go or not. Go for the experience, if I were you, and don’t think about it as an audition as if you’ve had a no I doubt that would change. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OnTheMove said:

I’ve heard of people having a yes for school and no for summer intensive. They’re separate. I would take it as a no for the school but you have a place on the summer intensive and it’s up to you if you go or not. Go for the experience, if I were you, and don’t think about it as an audition as if you’ve had a no I doubt that would change. 

Thank you very much for your answer.

• Like 1

On 14/03/2023 at 16:38, Evangeline said:

Thank you. Year 7 …It’s a little bitter sweet knowing that even if she can get in to year 7 only very few remain for the next stage - year 10  and on. But for now we are of course very happy for her

Congratulations 🥳 At least you know that it may not be for 5 years (although it could be). You could view it as a middle school which typically end at year 9 and look at alternatives in beginning of year 9 and try summer schools yr8 at other ballet schools. That way it is not as daunting if you need to transition for year 10.

Good luck to you and your Dd.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Evangeline said:

On another note…anybody knows how difficult it is to get a scholarship to help with the fees?  💸 the cost is extraordinary 🙈

Congratulations, @Evangeline on your DD's success in getting a WL place for Year 8 for September. Those places must be hard to come by so she must have shone in the auditions! Not sure where you are posting from, but if you are UK-based then you will be automatically entitled to apply for the MDS for some fee remission, depending on income. If coming from overseas, I'm not sure what the options are. There are bursaries at the school but rather limited financially. Finding a supporter / funding locally to you is another possibility - there are some charitable organisations which can have very specific funding criteria and your DD might just tick all the boxes... Good luck though! :) 

• Thanks 1

Thank you TwirlyWhirly! We are currently living in Europe so no MDS for us for two years 🙄 I know I don’t have to explain but I  want to set the record straight. My DD auditioned for year 8, but since she is born on a very last day of August, at the finals I mentioned whether she could be in fact considered for the year 7 since she is coming from different school system and would probably benefit from an extra year academically speaking, so the offer they sent is for the year 7! I did not mention it before in any email correspondence or anything like that, but it was something on my mind and the opportunity arose during the final in person auditions when another family suggested the same for their son who was also physically smaller. They noted it down informally and that was all 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

Why am I saying this…I don’t think it is the same as gaining the place in year 8 per se…There were some fabulous dancers from all parts of the world and homegrown (UK) and I do not know how many of them were offered a place. I met some lovely parents too…the audition was remarkably calm and quiet. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Evangeline said:

Thank you TwirlyWhirly! We are currently living in Europe so no MDS for us for two years 🙄 I know I don’t have to explain but I  want to set the record straight. My DD auditioned for year 8, but since she is born on a very last day of August, at the finals I mentioned whether she could be in fact considered for the year 7 since she is coming from different school system and would probably benefit from an extra year academically speaking, so the offer they sent is for the year 7! I did not mention it before in any email correspondence or anything like that, but it was something on my mind and the opportunity arose during the final in person auditions when another family suggested the same for their son who was also physically smaller. They noted it down informally and that was all 🤷‍♀️

Still tough to get a place for Year 7 as highly competitive! Good luck finding the funding and with your decision-making. x

I have no personal experience @Evangeline, but RBS's website says: 

• The school aims to provide the majority of students with means-tested through the UK government’s Music and Dance Scheme (MDS) <you are probably not eligible for this yet> or a donor funded, means-tested bursary <hopefully this is what you will be eligible for> . Around 90% of students receive some bursary support. Our donor supported bursary scheme offers the same support as the MDS.

More details on this page: https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/information/fees/full-time-training-fees/

Congratulations to your daughter, and good luck. 

• Thanks 1

Hi there,

do you know by chance when a response regarding the financial assistance applications should arrive? The deadline for paying the course fee is March 28, and we haven't got any response yet... (I wrote a letter to the address given as well, with some questions about the application 3 weeks ago and no response :(  - it is a bit complicated for us, living in another country, the tax year is not the same as in th UK and there are other differences too. Not so simple to fill the application form. I can only hope that we didn't make any mistakes in filling it :( 

Had similar issue re: financial assistance for Associates…. The course started & we’d still not heard back but were told to just start anyhow…. But rubbish as what if then finances meant not possible to continue?? As it turned out DC hated it anyhow so was not an issue….although to show how long it can take for responses… they contacted us over a year later trying to bill for the whole course!!! 🤷🏻‍♀️

Hello there,

are there any parents among you whose child will go to the first week of the summer intensive and is age 10-11? I would be so happy to contact you and have some talks, make our children know each other a bit... I know it is not a school year just some days, not a big deal, but my daughter has never been alone without me so far AND she knows very little English (though I started to teach her how to use google translate in live conversations :)

20 minutes ago, lanczievamuzsa said:

Hello there,

are there any parents among you whose child will go to the first week of the summer intensive and is age 10-11? I would be so happy to contact you and have some talks, make our children know each other a bit... I know it is not a school year just some days, not a big deal, but my daughter has never been alone without me so far AND she knows very little English (though I started to teach her how to use google translate in live conversations :)

Feel free to message me. My daughter is that week along with 3 girls she knows.

9 hours ago, lanczievamuzsa said:

Hello there,

Can you get her to start using the Duolingo App?  It’s great for learning new languages.  When DC went at that age there were a number whose first language was not English.  The important thing is to be able to understand the teachers in class.  The children will be fine together.  I used to spend summers abroad in countries I didn’t speak the language and children do manage to communicate well.

7 hours ago, Dance.Mum said:

Can you get her to start using the Duolingo App?  It’s great for learning new languages.  When DC went at that age there were a number whose first language was not English.  The important thing is to be able to understand the teachers in class.  The children will be fine together.  I used to spend summers abroad in countries I didn’t speak the language and children do manage to communicate well.

Thank you for the advice, yes, she has been using Duolingo for some time now and has English lessons at school but the latter is so unaffective, (very poor quality of language teaching in schools here in Hungary). I hope she would understand the teachers because here in Budapest she has foreign teachers as well who speak English (but they are Russan, Ucrainian, so that's not the English English she will face in England :) 

I try to finish worrying :)

Guest JessDan167
55 minutes ago, lanczievamuzsa said:

Thank you for the advice, yes, she has been using Duolingo for some time now and has English lessons at school but the latter is so unaffective, (very poor quality of language teaching in schools here in Hungary). I hope she would understand the teachers because here in Budapest she has foreign teachers as well who speak English (but they are Russan, Ucrainian, so that's not the English English she will face in England :) 

I try to finish worrying :)

When my husband was 14, he left his family home in England and moved to Spain, after an incredible offer from a Spanish football team, he lived with a Spanish family and was fluent within  a few months, he even had the ‘slang.’ The best way to learn another language is to speak it everyday, she will be absolutely fine, and fluent in English in no time at all x 

On 20/04/2023 at 09:00, Cluelessballetmumof2 said:

When my husband was 14, he left his family home in England and moved to Spain, after an incredible offer from a Spanish football team, he lived with a Spanish family and was fluent within  a few months, he even had the ‘slang.’ The best way to learn another language is to speak it everyday, she will be absolutely fine, and fluent in English in no time at all x 

I agree. I was sent to the uk to stay with friends of my parents age 12 and little English ( could understand fair, speak little), and it was fine. I started talking after a week and haven’t stopped since, lol 😂 

• Like 1