RBS Summer Intensive 2023

Pointeperfect

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to those with a yes, good luck to those on the waiting list and sincere commiserations to those with a no.
In response to the question as to why some students are accepted year after year and about fairness, I agree that it would be fairer to allow one attendance only. However, the RBS is applying selection criteria - I appreciate that this always seems a rather odd process as there is no audition for the summer school - and if they could not do so ‘fairly’ in relation to each and every applicant and offer places to those who best fulfil those criteria, then the summer school would not be offered to some of those who best fulfil the criteria and would become less selective and possibly less of an educational experience for those who attend.

Whatever the field, I genuinely don’t think that ‘fairness’ is ever achieved. The fastest sprinter, the most talented footballer, the most-like-RBS-ideal dancer will always be selected if excellence is pursued. That isn’t fair to those who work hard and may be very talented themselves, but it is the reality. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Legseleven said:

Congratulations to those with a yes, good luck to those on the waiting list and sincere commiserations to those with a no.
In response to the question as to why some students are accepted year after year and about fairness, I agree that it would be fairer to allow one attendance only. However, the RBS is applying selection criteria - I appreciate that this always seems a rather odd process as there is no audition for the summer school - and if they could not do so ‘fairly’ in relation to each and every applicant and offer places to those who best fulfil those criteria, then the summer school would not be offered to some of those who best fulfil the criteria and would become less selective and possibly less of an educational experience for those who attend.

Whatever the field, I genuinely don’t think that ‘fairness’ is ever achieved. The fastest sprinter, the most talented footballer, the most-like-RBS-ideal dancer will always be selected if excellence is pursued. That isn’t fair to those who work hard and may be very talented themselves, but it is the reality. 

Can you clear this to me? Is it like this? We are absolutely new to this whole thing and not living in England we don't have any info about how the school works ... -->They have hundreds of photos of applicants (just for the 10-12 years old category) and they have a look at every one of them (I suppose, very shortly) and try to see the skills and attributes of the candidates. If they see something, they put the photo to the yes folder :) if not, to the no folder if it is a maybe then in the waiting list folder... to put it very simply...

and then if someone is applying another year, and the supposed skills/attributes are not changed according to the photos, it is obvious that the applicant will be chosen another time. No?

41 minutes ago, lanczievamuzsa said:

Can you clear this to me? Is it like this? We are absolutely new to this whole thing and not living in England we don't have any info about how the school works ... -->They have hundreds of photos of applicants (just for the 10-12 years old category) and they have a look at every one of them (I suppose, very shortly) and try to see the skills and attributes of the candidates. If they see something, they put the photo to the yes folder :) if not, to the no folder if it is a maybe then in the waiting list folder... to put it very simply...

and then if someone is applying another year, and the supposed skills/attributes are not changed according to the photos, it is obvious that the applicant will be chosen another time. No?

I've heard that the evaluators don't know when reviewing photos who attended previously and who didn't. And I believe the application doesn't even ask previous attendance data. They look for body fit, which changes. And it depends on the pool of other applicants. That's why some who got a yes one year will get a no the next. Or two years of a yes. Or a no then a yes. It all changes each year. Standouts will always get in but that's what makes the school desirable. I think this year they have had an explosion of candidates post covid. Also they are promoting like heck and becoming quite commercial, so more applicants as a result. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Thelittleswans said:

My daughter has started asking soooo many questions so I thought I’d ask as they come so not to overload the chat. Those parents that have had children at SI before might be able to help! 

do they need a mobile phone? 

if so, how is that regulated? 

Dorms: how many per room? If the children know someone who is also boarding can you request for them to share a room? 

how many leotards should they bring? 

do they arrive on Sunday eve? Or is registration on Monday? 

Is there a performance/demonstration for parents at the end of the week? 

What sort of things do they do in their “free” time? 

other than deers, are there any other animals that roam in Richmond park to observe? (Random one!)

They will send information about all of this. Unfortunately every student had a phone. It's actually a problem in my opinion. My child said during breaks people were buried in phones instead of playing pick up games or talking. And phones were lightly regulated. They got phones during every break. Literally every morning, class break, after class, after dinner. All the time. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Saddleback said:

They will send information about all of this. Unfortunately every student had a phone. It's actually a problem in my opinion. My child said during breaks people were buried in phones instead of playing pick up games or talking. And phones were lightly regulated. They got phones during every break. Literally every morning, class break, after class, after dinner. All the time. 

Thank you for your honesty. I will set up screen time then. Hopefully others will have limits on screen time so they can actually interact with one another during their free time

5 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

Since fees have to be paid at end of March I wonder if some waitlist places will appear after then? Would like to apply for other things if she doesn't get a place at all.

Rather than let fate decide via the waitlist and if it’s affordable perhaps consider  going for this… https://www.festivalballet.org/international-summer-intensive-2023/

Much better chance to be seen.

Edited by Balletdoodah
Grammar

5 hours ago, twinballerinas said:

In prior years, there was a simple accept or reject the invitation. My girls are not going but there is no place to state they aren’t attending. Should I just email them letting them know?  

In the spirit of making the dream come true for a girl on the waitlist I suggest telling them as soon as possible and not waiting for a follow up email when payment is due. They seem to have changed a lot this year. No waitlist confirmation for those on the WL, no accept or reject on the Yes emails, no audition request at time of application. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saddleback said:

I've heard that the evaluators don't know when reviewing photos who attended previously and who didn't. And I believe the application doesn't even ask previous attendance data. They look for body fit, which changes. And it depends on the pool of other applicants. That's why some who got a yes one year will get a no the next. Or two years of a yes. Or a no then a yes. It all changes each year. Standouts will always get in but that's what makes the school desirable. I think this year they have had an explosion of candidates post covid. Also they are promoting like heck and becoming quite commercial, so more applicants as a result. 

It seems that many I have seen that got through had professional photos done. Does that make a difference? 

1 minute ago, JaneDance1904 said:

It seems that many I have seen that got through had professional photos done. Does that make a difference? 

We’ve never had professional shots and my daughter has been successful twice. But we have had our teacher to help and she won’t stop until she gets the perfect shot. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JaneDance1904 said:

Straight yes twice and no professional photos. 

One year dc did them with me. This year their teacher did it. 

I would recommend a teacher doing it. Most professional photographers don’t know enough about ballet. 

• Like 2

We have never used professional photos and had a number of Royal intensives offers and wait list places over the years.  Some photos were assisted by teachers, some by me and some by dancing friends.  Please don’t be put off by not spending the money on glossy photos and put the money into funding training.

• Like 2

On 28/02/2023 at 07:41, Thelittleswans said:

My daughter has started asking soooo many questions so I thought I’d ask as they come so not to overload the chat. Those parents that have had children at SI before might be able to help! 

do they need a mobile phone? 

if so, how is that regulated? 

Dorms: how many per room? If the children know someone who is also boarding can you request for them to share a room? 

how many leotards should they bring? 

do they arrive on Sunday eve? Or is registration on Monday? 

Is there a performance/demonstration for parents at the end of the week? 

What sort of things do they do in their “free” time? 

other than deers, are there any other animals that roam in Richmond park to observe? (Random one!)

Agree with the answers you've already had but in terms of drop off day, it is usually the day before the first day of the course. For week 1 that will be Monday 17th but for all the other weeks it will be the Sunday. Week 1 has slightly different dates (as in it starts on a Tuesday) to the other weeks. 

Phones are handed in overnight but they can use them whenever they are not in class through the day. This has never been problematic in our experience and there was lots of time spent running around/playing outside as well. I don't think DD was on her phone much at all - that's our experience of course and it maybe depends on who else is there at the time. 

Guest JessDan167

We still have not received results, do you stil receive an email if unsuccessful does anybody know please?  X

36 minutes ago, Cluelessballetmumof2 said:

We still have not received results, do you stil receive an email if unsuccessful does anybody know please?  X

Yes you should get an email even if unsuccessful. Have you checked your junk folder? Maybe give them an email. intensivecourses@royalballetschool.org.uk

Guest JessDan167
17 minutes ago, OnTheMove said:

Yes you should get an email even if unsuccessful. Have you checked your junk folder? Maybe give them an email. intensivecourses@royalballetschool.org.uk

Yes I have checked everything, I’ve emailed twice over the last few days and tried calling? That’s great thanks, we have an anxious household x 

1 hour ago, Cluelessballetmumof2 said:

Yes I have checked everything, I’ve emailed twice over the last few days and tried calling? That’s great thanks, we have an anxious household x 

Good luck. Did you apply for 2 dancers as if so you had to use 2 different emails x 

Guest JessDan167
1 hour ago, OnTheMove said:

Good luck. Did you apply for 2 dancers as if so you had to use 2 different emails x 

No just the one, I’m going to call them again x 

Guest JessDan167
2 hours ago, Saddleback said:

They are slow to respond, FYI. Both email and phone.

Yes I can’t get hold of anyone, just a waiting game I think x 

44 minutes ago, Cluelessballetmumof2 said:

Yes I can’t get hold of anyone, just a waiting game I think x 

Have you received any emails since applying? There was an initial confirmation and then an email after the closing date saying ‘if you can’t wait, try our on demand courses’. If not, maybe they have your email address wrong?

Guest JessDan167
13 hours ago, Jennyballet said:

Have you received any emails since applying? There was an initial confirmation and then an email after the closing date saying ‘if you can’t wait, try our on demand courses’. If not, maybe they have your email address wrong?

Yes I received the initial payment confirmation and then the confirmation of applying a bit later, none went to junk 🤷🏻‍♀️ nothing since, not sure what to think, I got the spring intensive results no problem x

30 minutes ago, Cluelessballetmumof2 said:

Yes I received the initial payment confirmation and then the confirmation of applying a bit later, none went to junk 🤷🏻‍♀️ nothing since, not sure what to think, I got the spring intensive results no problem x

Just a thought but have you checked that your email storage isn’t over quota? This happened to me last month, it froze my email account, with no messages coming in and ones I was trying to send staying in the outbox without my knowledge. I only realised after 24 hours of feeling ignored by everyone! Served me right for never deleting any emails …