Royal Ballet Class on Stage

I watched the Royal Ballet class on stage this morning which was amazing.

I sat in B33 of the Donald Gordon Grand Tier which was a real treat as I’d never ordinarily afford to be able to sit there. The view was amazing, but oddly enough the dancers seemed further away than they do in a performance (when I usually sit in the rear balcony loose seats).

It was so nice to see the dancers going about their daily lives before class, warming up, giggling and chatting with their colleagues on stage. Somehow it made them seem more real if that makes sense?

The personalities of individual dancers really shone through whilst watching them in a less formal setting than in an actual performance. At one point Joonhyuk Jun got a round of applause and cheers for a spectacular ménage ditto James Hay and Joseph Sissens.

Also one of the ladies (I must admit to not recognising her, possibly a member of the corps) did a LOT of fouettés to a round of applause. Gina Storm Jensen nearly ended up twirling off the stage at one point, running out of space to finish the combination in and then doing a funky little dance (not ballet) on her way off the stage. 

Itziar Medizibal was at the front centre of the barre and she was absolutely beautiful to watch. So musical and a lovely fluid quality of movement- not sure how to describe it, but the movement version of  a really delicious honey. 

All in all £20 very well spent. I’d definitely go to watch class again. Finished off the day by doing the lovely Hannah Frosts class at Pineapple too which is always a pleasure. 

• Like 16

9 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

Also one of the ladies (I must admit to not recognising her, possibly a member of the corps) did a LOT of fouettés to a round of applause. 

Do you mean Marianna Tsembenhoi? Such a strong emerging talent (also appeared in the Ukraine/Nureyev galas) - I was definitely clapping loudly!

Joonhyuk Jun literally flew across the stage! Incredible, likewise Joseph Sissens and a surprise appearance from Marcelino Sambé who I didn’t expect to see! Also Francisco Serrano is stunning, he dances with such flair.

I was quite close (stalls circle) but I don’t recall recognising James Hay, are you sure it was him? I recognised David Donnelly, James Large, Denilson Almeida, Daichi Ikarashi and a few others but didn’t spot him. 

I was so glad Itziar was at the front of the barre, she certainly is delightful to watch!

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

I was quite close (stalls circle) but I don’t recall recognising James Hay, are you sure it was him? I recognised David Donnelly, James Large, Denilson Almeida, Daichi Ikarashi and a few others but didn’t spot him. 

I don't think James Hay was there. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

I watched the Royal Ballet class on stage this morning which was amazing.

I sat in B33 of the Donald Gordon Grand Tier which was a real treat as I’d never ordinarily afford to be able to sit there. The view was amazing, but oddly enough the dancers seemed further away than they do in a performance (when I usually sit in the rear balcony loose seats).

It was so nice to see the dancers going about their daily lives before class, warming up, giggling and chatting with their colleagues on stage. Somehow it made them seem more real if that makes sense?

The personalities of individual dancers really shone through whilst watching them in a less formal setting than in an actual performance. At one point Joonhyuk Jun got a round of applause and cheers for a spectacular ménage ditto James Hay and Joseph Sissens.

Also one of the ladies (I must admit to not recognising her, possibly a member of the corps) did a LOT of fouettés to a round of applause. Gina Storm Jensen nearly ended up twirling off the stage at one point, running out of space to finish the combination in and then doing a funky little dance (not ballet) on her way off the stage. 

Itziar Medizibal was at the front centre of the barre and she was absolutely beautiful to watch. So musical and a lovely fluid quality of movement- not sure how to describe it, but the movement version of  a really delicious honey. 

All in all £20 very well spent. I’d definitely go to watch class again. Finished off the day by doing the lovely Hannah Frosts class at Pineapple too which is always a pleasure. 

Glad you enjoyed - I think that was possibly the third time I have seen the Royal Ballet in class and it is always fascinating. Going again April. 

Its always interesting how many dancers I can identify but as most of them are in the corps its a bit harder. Glad I managed to get there despite the train strikes - it just took longer than usual.

I was in B31 by the way at the end of your row!

• Like 3

I was there yesterday, sitting in the orchestra stalls which was certainly a treat for me. I was lucky that I had a good view since there was only what looked like a couple of young ballet students sitting in front of me. 

I think that Marci Sambe was the only principal there – that was an interesting knitted onesie that he wore to start with! I don’t remember seeing James Hay.

This was my first time seeing the class on stage and I will definitely make the effort to go again sometime. It was quite instructive to someone like me who knows very little about the technical side of ballet. It was also exciting to see the men at the end doing their manèges round the stage which they mostly managed to finish off in style.

I’m glad someone mentioned Francisco Serrano – I take it he was the one with a mass of dark curly hair. He certainly stood out at the end along with Junhyuk Jun who was amazing.

• Like 5

I was in the stalls for this as well and it was wonderful.  I got a great view of everybody and loved it. Everyone was amazing and the class was wonderful to watch.  I was, as always, captivated by Joseph Sissens' beautiful long legs and strong jumps and turns.  He's such a joy to watch.  Daichi Ikarashi also struck me very positively, definitely one to watch. 

I was most amused that the pianist started playing "Nobody Does it Better" just as Marcelino Sambe came on stage and started class.  I'm not sure if it was coincidence but it definitely made me smile because Marci is one of the best!

I have my zoom ballet class this morning at 11 and I am feeling inspired and positive having seen the professionals in action.  

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Nina99 said:

I think that Marci Sambe was the only principal there – that was an interesting knitted onesie that he wore to start with! I don’t remember seeing James Hay.

Yes.  I thought Marci's choice of bright red knitwear was definitely one of a kind.  He looked great, but then he'd look good in a binbag, he's incredibly photogenic.  But it was an interesting style choice nonetheless.  

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, MAX said:

Manège Angela, ménage is something else (household) :)

Oops how embarrassing - quite new to ballet here thank you for the correction 🤣

When I heard the lady taking the class say ‘lovely James’ I assumed it was James Hay as I must admit I couldn’t remember his face so assumed it was him. Thanks @art_enthusiast for letting me know the name of the dancer - James Large - he was stunning. Thanks also for letting me know the name of Marianna Tsembenhoi. She was amazing I was clapping and whooping loudly. 

I forgot to mention Marcelino. Sadly I couldn’t see him very well at the barre from where I was standing but watching him in class was dreamy. 

• Like 7

Rob Clark on piano fantastic as always. I'd pay just to hear him.

Does anyone know the woman who was teaching class yesterday? I didn't catch her name as the acoustics were a little sketchy

15 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Rob Clark on piano fantastic as always. I'd pay just to hear him.

Does anyone know the woman who was teaching class yesterday? I didn't catch her name as the acoustics were a little sketchy

Rob Clark was amazing. 

It was Sian Murphy who is assistant ballet mistress at RB.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Is the class available online?   Sometime they are 🤔 

I didn't see any filming being done but may have missed it

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

Is the class available online?   Sometime they are 🤔 

Unfortunately not. They did film a special class on stage for Friends during Covid but I think that was because one with an audience had to be cancelled.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

How do you lot ever get tickets for these? Whenever I find out about them, they are always completely sold out already.

There were loads of empty seats available and SCS D1-8 at least

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

How do you lot ever get tickets for these? Whenever I find out about them, they are always completely sold out already.

The class on stage is listed in with the performances in the what’s on section of the roh website for booking.

I booked mine as soon as the booking for the current season opened. I go on the roh website on the dot of 9am on the day booking opens and book everything I want to see in one go having planned out days, times and seats that I want in advance. 

Lots and lots of seats were sadly empty though. 

4 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

Yes I thought I’d seen her - wished she’d done centre too though 😢

In the back? With her hair down? I thought it was her but wasn't sure

3 minutes ago, oncnp said:

In the back? With her hair down? I thought it was her but wasn't sure

Yes she came in in trousers and a little body warmer with her hair down, did a tiny bit or barre then went into the door part of the castle of the sweets nutcracker set to take a phone call and I don’t think she came back after that 😭

27 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

Yes she came in in trousers and a little body warmer with her hair down, did a tiny bit or barre then went into the door part of the castle of the sweets nutcracker set to take a phone call and I don’t think she came back after that 😭

I just love this sentence!! It would be pretty much incomprehensible to anyone apart from forum-member-types to whom it is endlessly fascinating.

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, MJW said:

Many thanks MJW. I’d rather forgotten about Royal Ballet Class on stage and can now look forward to an extended London trip as I’ve also booked the Osipova/Clarke Sleeping Beauty on the Friday evening to add to what I’d already booked for the next day.

• Like 2

Hearing so much about how important daily class is to a dancer, it is great to be able to observe. However, I do wonder why there were so few senior level dancers. Noticed this previously as well. Do the principals/first soloists tend to do their own thing instead of company class? Just curious.

11 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Hearing so much about how important daily class is to a dancer, it is great to be able to observe. However, I do wonder why there were so few senior level dancers. Noticed this previously as well. Do the principals/first soloists tend to do their own thing instead of company class? Just curious.

There are multiple classes as they couldn't get all 100+ in the same class. I 've read (probably here) that the Principals can choose what class they go to and others are assigned

Edited by oncnp

7 minutes ago, Candleque said:

I believe that there is more than one company class. I’m not sure if they are concurrent, but dancers are frequently required for rehearsals 

• Like 1

Absolutely loved watching this and thank you for helping me put names to some faces who we weren’t familiar with. 

I was with my DD who is at vocational school - she recognised a lot of the younger dancers in particular from various events/rehearsals and also their social media profiles. In addition to the names mentioned already above, two who really stood out to us were Viola Pantuso and Katharina Nikelski - will be interested to watch them over the next few years. 

• Like 1