Review of the Piazza restaurant at ROH

Fonty

Oh dear.  I used to love this restaurant as well.  The menu wasn't the most exciting I have ever seen, but the price was relatively reasonable and the atmosphere was great.  Why oh why did they remove the photos of various artists who had performed at the ROH?  I haven't seen the new decor, is this a reasonable assessment? 

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/echoes-of-john-lewis-piazza-at-royal-opera-house-reviewed

6 hours ago, Fonty said:

Oh dear.  I used to love this restaurant as well.  The menu wasn't the most exciting I have ever seen, but the price was relatively reasonable and the atmosphere was great.  Why oh why did they remove the photos of various artists who had performed at the ROH?  I haven't seen the new decor, is this a reasonable assessment? 

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/echoes-of-john-lewis-piazza-at-royal-opera-house-reviewed

Wow.  Is it really £200 for two courses?  An exaggeration methinks.  And anyone who refers to the toilets as 'bogs' doesn't get taken seriously by me, I'm afraid!!  

I'll never forget the couple who stood by the revolving door (pre-Covid) looking at the placard for this restaurant and asked one another whether they wanted a pizza. Having concluded that they didn't, they went on their way 😂

• Like 6

I suppose if you add in a costly wine and pick the most expensive things on the menu it might come to £200.  I do agree with her on one thing though.  Last time I saw it, the restaurant did look very bland indeed.  No sense of being in an opera house at all.

On 22/10/2022 at 12:56, Fonty said:

The photo seems to show the semi open air terrace bar/cafe but the restaurant Fonty is thinking of is what used to be the Amphitheatre Restaurant. I haven’t eaten at the new version of the Amphitheatre Restaurant but the staff at the open air terrace were great at getting us seated, served and bill paid in plenty of time when we popped in once. I agree the old photos of the RB dancers were beautiful and atmospheric, gave the restaurant glamour and sophistication, and they should have been kept. 

• Like 1