Teaching 11 year old how to do her own bun in her hair

Ballerina_girl

1 hour ago, Ballerina_girl said:

Really struggling to teach my eleven year old how to do her own bun in her hair, any tips or advice appreciated,or where to find good tutorials for them,  she’s got small hands and a lot of hair and is not getting the hang of it at all, thanks! 

If it makes you feel better, my DD is 12 (almost 13) and still can’t do her own bun in the neat way she wants her buns to look like. I won’t be of any help but would be curious to see the replies to this too. 

• Thanks 1

My perfectionist DD learnt to do hers to her satisfaction by just doing it again and again until she was happy! 

It wasn't quick,  but she got there! 

Pony tail on top of head, then twisting it round on itself so it's like a rope,  then round and round the bobble,  and tucking the end under bobble. Pop a bun net over and pin.  

Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pixiewoo said:

My perfectionist DD learnt to do hers to her satisfaction by just doing it again and again until she was happy! 

Pony tail on top of head, then twisting it round on itself so it's like a rope,  then round and round the bobble,  and tucking the end under bobble. Pop a bun net over and pin.  

Good luck! 

Ohhh! I love that tip about tucking the end under bobble. I never thought of that before. Will tell my DD. She gets really worked up when she can’t get hers perfect and as flat as possible - always a massive task when she’s got super long hair. Her bun sometimes looks like a small plate! 

• Like 2

This tip only works if you have reasonably long hair yourself, but I demonstrated doing my own bun for DD, which helped her see how to manage having to do it by feel and what to do with each hand.

It still took a fair bit of practise for her to get the hang though.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Ohhh! I love that tip about tucking the end under bobble. I never thought of that before. Will tell my DD. She gets really worked up when she can’t get hers perfect and as flat as possible - always a massive task when she’s got super long hair. Her bun sometimes looks like a small plate! 

Welcome.

DD has super long hair too! She now does the bun at the bottom of her head/top of neck,  but when she was learning,  it was easier on top as she could see what to do!  ( also,  plenty of bashing it with back of hairbrush to flatten it out! )

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pixiewoo said:

Good luck! 

thank you, yes that’s a great tip! Is getting her to turn her head upside down the easiest way for the high pony? That’s what we are trying! I’m pretty good at doing the buns in her hair really neat and great with french plaits but teaching her how to do it herself I’m doing a pretty terrible job 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ballerina_girl said:

thank you, yes that’s a great tip! Is getting her to turn her head upside down the easiest way for the high pony? That’s what we are trying! I’m pretty good at doing the buns in her hair really neat and great with french plaits but teaching her how to do it herself I’m doing a pretty terrible job 🤣

Yes,  head upside down to get the high pony! 

• Thanks 1

If she is struggling because there's so much hair to wrap around, she can split the ponytail in two and wrap half into a rope and twist it roubd into a bun shape, then do the other half the opposite way round.

If they want a flatter bun, once it's coiled round, put a bun net over it and then let it loosen (allow it to unwind slightly) and shape it into a flatter shape before pinning.

Pins can go in at an angle, pointing towards the outside of the bun and then kind of fold back on themselves to pin inwards. No idea if that makes sense, it's hard to describe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, WhatsThePointe said:

If she is struggling because there's so much hair to wrap around, she can split the ponytail in two and wrap half into a rope and twist it roubd into a bun shape, then do the other half the opposite way round.

If they want a flatter bun, once it's coiled round, put a bun net over it and then let it loosen (allow it to unwind slightly) and shape it into a flatter shape before pinning.

Pins can go in at an angle, pointing towards the outside of the bun and then kind of fold back on themselves to pin inwards. No idea if that makes sense, it's hard to describe!

That’s a great tip about splitting into two thank you! 

40 minutes ago, MissEmily said:

I remember learning by redoing it when it had just come out of a bun and so went back into a ponytail and then a bun more easily because the hair was already trained in the right directions if that makes sense?!

Ooh yes I know what you mean great tip thank you! 

15 hours ago, ba11erina said:

I have a lot of hair and I find that splitting the ponytail into two sections and doing it in two twists instead of one really helps.

Getting a spray bottle of water to use before brushing it really helps me as well :)

Bottle of water spray sounds a great idea! I know gel before can make it crunchy and hard to style, thank you! 

On 10/08/2022 at 20:59, WhatsThePointe said:

15 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

This ☝️☝️☝️There is a Claudia Dean you tube video on ballet hairstyles that explains this method. Gets the bun flat every time. Key is putting hairnet on, remove pins, re model bun shape then re pin. 

Brilliant I will check that out. Thank you 😀

• Like 1

On 11/08/2022 at 23:46, Angela Essex said:

This ☝️☝️☝️There is a Claudia Dean you tube video on ballet hairstyles that explains this method. Gets the bun flat every time. Key is putting hairnet on, remove pins, re model bun shape then re pin. 

Removing the pins after the bun net is a lifesaver!! I started doing this last year and my bun has looked so much better since

• Like 1