LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE: RB June 2022

My wife and I saw it at a catchup showing this afternoon - perfect transmission apart from a 1-second sound blip in early Act II.

I wasn't at all sure what I was going to see but, having seen it, I reckon it's a truly remarkable piece of work, with composer and set designer equally responsible with its choreographer and dancers for the result.   Immense congratulations all round.  I'll leave it at that, for I've no idea when I might stop otherwise! 

• Like 12

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if Mexico had a prohibition on marriage with deceased wife's sister? After finally seeing LWFC this afternoon my biggest question is why Pedro didn't marry Tita after Rosaura's death rather than waiting 20 years then promptly dying together? (I'm also a bit baffled by the 20 years statement, as it looked more like 10 in terms of the children growing up & the clothing.)

Not completely sure but in the book, I don't think Rosaura died that suddenly - she may have lived longer, long enough to object to Esperanza's relationship with Alex (but died before she could stop their marriage). Pedro and Tita seemed to be tasked with raising Esperanza, and therefore only felt they could embrace their relationship openly after she had left them following her marriage to Alex.

• Like 2

The timeline for the ballet does seem to be different from that in the book (with the caveat that I've only read the Wikipedia synopsis of the book). I would have thought if Pedro & Tita were jointly bringing up Esperanza that would have been more reason for them to marry. In the past, when far more people died young especially women in childbirth, plenty of men who were left widowers with children remarried pretty quickly to have a wife to bring up the children! That's why I was wondering if Mexican law didn't allow them to marry. British law at the time would have but only after decades of wrangling https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deceased_Wife's_Sister's_Marriage_Act_1907

hence I wonder if Mexico, being a Catholic country, was stricter.

Roman Catholic canon law still does not permit marriage in the Church on the grounds of affinity - being the relationship between a woman and her husband's immediate family, or a man and his wife's immediate family - without a special dispensation (available from the local bishop in certain circumstances).

In 1910 or thereabouts (when the novel, and presumably the ballet, is set), in a Catholic country like Mexico, it is vanishingly unlikely that such a dispensation would have been sought, let alone granted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

Roman Catholic canon law still does not permit marriage in the Church on the grounds of affinity - being the relationship between a woman and her husband's immediate family, or a man and his wife's immediate family - without a special dispensation (available from the local bishop in certain circumstances).

In 1910 or thereabouts (when the novel, and presumably the ballet, is set), in a Catholic country like Mexico, it is vanishingly unlikely that such a dispensation would have been sought, let alone granted.

Thank you. That was what I was trying to find out. So Tita & Pedro couldn't have got married even if Rosaura had dropped dead the day after her wedding.

37 minutes ago, alison said:

Yet doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible (Old Testament?) that if a woman is widowed her husband's brother should marry her, or something of that ilk?

Henry VIII did that with Catherine of Aragon, while he was still Catholic.  However, when he wanted rid of her in order to marry Anne Boleyn, he interpreted that part of the Bible to mean that the brother and widow could marry, but that they would remain childless, and therefore the marriage was not valid.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alison said:

Oh, you mean a marriage in name only?

Yes...forgetting that Henry was simply trying to spin it in order to justify the Pope granting an annulment, and the fact that he and Catherine had a daughter (Mary) and a son (Henry) put paid to the notion of the marriage being invalid because no issue would come of it (as per his interpretation of the Bible!).

8 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

What exquisite rabbit holes we sometimes explore here!  The diriment impediments (I think that's the term) to a valid marriage, such as affinity, consanguinity; and was there also something about 'spiritual relationships'?  No reply needed. 

There are not many forums where one can see words such as “diriment” and “consanguinity” used in the same sentence. At 76 I can happily say I do not know what they mean but can “doff” my cap to Ian’s use of the language.

• Like 5

I loved the relay of LWFC.   The trailer shown before was informative too.  

Having only seen one live performance (Takada/Campbell), I was interested in how the original creators (Hayward/Sambe) would be. Superb is the answer.   Such great dramatic and beautiful dancers.  I was heartbroken for them.   LThis was a ballet where cinema close-ups of facial expressions really enhanced the experience. 

It’s such a great story and it is not so complicated that it can’t be understood by just watching without synopsis.  You don’t even have to know why Tita is not allowed to marry Pedro … it’s pretty clear from the storytelling on stage that the mother is in control and makes Pedro marry another daughter than the one he wants.  And from there events are obvious.  

I hope it returns soon … it’s got more layers and I’d full of music, story and dancing … plus vibrant sets / visuals and costumes.  I think it’s a winner.  

• Like 6

I saw the show live and twice in the cinema.   I would have been happy to have seen it again and yet again live or on screen had it been available.   

I am not given to gushing but it was the best show that I saw last year and one of the best in a lifetime of ballet going.   

I have set out the reasons why I enjoyed it so much elsewhere. 

• Like 2

I was unable to get to the cinema but I hear what people are saying about the close-ups providing an enhanced experience.

Unfortunately, for me in the ROH, neither of the two first cast leads brought the ballet to life - and I was very close to them.

So I like the fact that we now have two ever-developing complimentary art forms - live on stage and filmed - where, seemingly not all that long ago, there was really only the one.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, capybara said:

I was unable to get to the cinema but I hear what people are saying about the close-ups providing an enhanced experience.

Unfortunately, for me in the ROH, neither of the two first cast leads brought the ballet to life - and I was very close to them.

I had the same experience.  I was at the premiere and didn't much like the ballet at all.  When I saw the Naghdi/Corrales/Kaneko/Calvert/Bracewell cast it transformed it for me and I ended up getting a ticket for their second performance.  After opening night I would never have done that.  Different strokes for different folks!

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

I see American Ballet Theatre are due to perform Like Water for Chocolate soon- and their junior company, the ABT Studio Company, are also presenting one of the pas de deux on their touring programme this season. Would be interested to read feedback or reviews from any forum members who are in the US who will be watching either programme or who are travelling to see one - or both! - of them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I see American Ballet Theatre are due to perform Like Water for Chocolate soon- and their junior company, the ABT Studio Company, are also presenting one of the pas de deux on their touring programme this season. Would be interested to read feedback or reviews from any forum members who are in the US who will be watching either programme or who are travelling to see one - or both! - of them.

Thank you for this. 

More information below. Single tickets go on sale April 24 

American Ballet Theatre (abt.org)

I have tickets to the general rehearsal, opening night, and the three shows on Saturday and Sunday when ABT dances the US premiere in Orange County, Southern California in late May-early August. I expect to see all casts.  It appears that the first cast will be Cassandra Trenary and Herman Cornejo because a short rehearsal clip was posted on the ABT Facebook.  I saw all casts with the Royal Ballet last year and so am interested in seeing all ABT casts.  Trenary and Cornejo should be outstanding.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Josette said:

I have tickets to the general rehearsal, opening night, and the three shows on Saturday and Sunday when ABT dances the US premiere in Orange County, Southern California in late May-early August. I expect to see all casts.  It appears that the first cast will be Cassandra Trenary and Herman Cornejo because a short rehearsal clip was posted on the ABT Facebook.  I saw all casts with the Royal Ballet last year and so am interested in seeing all ABT casts.  Trenary and Cornejo should be outstanding.  

Looking forward to your reviews or thoughts after the rehearsal, opening night and the performances with other casts, Josette! I saw that clip with Trenary and Cornejo (he’s one of my faves; I haven’t seen Trenary much on stage yet - it’s been ages since their last tour to London) and it’s fascinating how a different company sometimes brings another dimension to the interpretation of a story ballet. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The ballet has just been premiered by ABT.  Very positive review (with some reservations) from the LA Times.  See Today's Links.  I will be interested to see what the NY critics (and @Josette!)  think when it opens there in June.  

• Like 5