LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE: RB June 2022

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Sounded recorded to me…like the Ukrainian anthem was for the special performance 

I wasn't there today, but why would the ROH orchestra not play the National Anthem?! It's played whenever there's a royal gala. And I was at the Ukraine performance and it didn't sound or look recorded to me. (The orchestra were clearly playing something! And of course they had played it quite a few times at other performances.)

Edited by bridiem
Sentence added
  • Like 1

Just a few broad brush comments from me because I just sat back and enjoyed the spectacle to be honest. Really liked the score, especially the guitar element, overall reminiscent for me of West Side Story and Marquez as conducted by Dudamel. Dancing was gorgeous throughout, ravishing actually. The named characters came to life for me and I really cared about what happened to them, and the ensemble were so full of vim vigour and general joie de vivre. 

I did not entirely take to a few bits - the vengeful ghost of Elena, the much discussed horseback departure. But I direct for the stage at my local theatre and I can hardly get people on and off so who am I to criticise?! The narrative structure for me was somewhat fragmented here and there and some scenes achingly fast, over too soon, pulling me out of my reverie watching the lovely dancing and story unfold.

More than a few times I was deeply moved and touched with tears in my eyes. I thought it was beautiful. 

• Like 12

Great to see people are enjoying this cast as it should be the one I will see on Wednesday fingers crossed though of course regrettably won’t get a chance to see Corrales and O’ Sullivan as ecstatic revolutionaries lol but also hadn’t realised Corrales was playing Pedro so good compensation!
A friend who saw Thursdays cast as well said Naghdi and Corrales were “ truly fabulous” today.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, annamk said:

The second cast were nothing short of  a revelation for me.

Naghdi/Corrales/Kaneko/Calvert all absolutely superb.

The steps looked far far better and the chemistry between Naghdi/Corrales was intense.

The whole thing was more vivid and emotional. 

And I enjoyed the music much more. 

Agree they were all utterly superb and Meaghan Grace Hinkis as Gertrudis and Luca Acri as Juan Alejandrez gave a stunning performance - so much passion and raw energy. Ms Hinkis danced with such joy and fire it was a privilege to watch. 

@Rob SI don’t suppose that was you standing next to me in stalks circle standing D6 taking photos? A gentleman with a very professional looking camera was next to me and I’d love to see those photos so I was hoping it was you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Great to see people are enjoying this cast as it should be the one I will see on Wednesday fingers crossed though of course regrettably won’t get a chance to see Corrales and O’ Sullivan as ecstatic revolutionaries lol but also hadn’t realised Corrales was playing Pedro so good compensation!
A friend who saw Thursdays cast as well said Naghdi and Corrales were “ truly fabulous” today.  

Yes Nagdi / Corrales and Hinkis/Acri’s on stage chemistry 🔥🔥🔥🔥😮 def not PG it’s very steamy in places but they are all utterly fabulous.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just got back home from this afternoon's performance.  I have rather mixed feelings about Like Water - the dancers were exemplary and the staging and music were excellent (though at times if I had shut my eyes I felt as though I could have been listening to the  parts of the score of Alice).

I just felt there was far too much going on - especially in the first act. Even having read the synopsis beforehand there were parts which I didn't have a clue what was going on. Perhaps if I go to the cinema screening in January for a second helping things may be a bit clearer and I might enjoy it more.

I do wish the season had ended with the Ashton triple as that was superb, but there we are!

Long wait until October !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This was a totally different ballet today.  From the very first I could really feel the love, the tragedy, the passion, the sense of loss, the wasted years….the connection and chemistry between Naghdi and Corrales was palpable, heartbreaking, sizzling and utterly believable.  Their story (and thus their tragedy) was so clearly conveyed from start to finish that I was swept up with them and carried along on their magic wind the whole way through.  

Claire Calvert was a wonderful Rosaura, and her final scene was worthy of the finest theatre actress.  Likewise Fumi Kaneko as the embittered Mama Elena…so believable, even as a ghost!  I can’t wait to see her Larisch.  

I am not usually a Meghan Hinkis fan but she really suited the role of Gertrudis, whose lusty character she danced with joy and panache and an earthiness that this character needs. 

With the anthem being played at the beginning (thank you for listening, ROH!), and the music beautifully played all the way through, this was a special afternoon.  I still have some reservations about the piece as a whole, but when it’s danced like this…who cares?!  

• Like 17

30 minutes ago, Sim said:

This was a totally different ballet today.  From the very first I could really feel the love, the tragedy, the passion, the sense of loss, the wasted years….the connection and chemistry between Naghdi and Corrales was palpable, heartbreaking, sizzling and utterly believable.  Their story (and thus their tragedy) was so clearly conveyed from start to finish that I was swept up with them and carried along on their magic wind the whole way through.  

Claire Calvert was a wonderful Rosaura, and her final scene was worthy of the finest theatre actress.  Likewise Fumi Kaneko as the embittered Mama Elena…so believable, even as a ghost!  I can’t wait to see her Larisch.  

I am not usually a Meghan Hinkis fan but she really suited the role of Gertrudis, whose lusty character she danced with joy and panache and an earthiness that this character needs. 

With the anthem being played at the beginning (thank you for listening, ROH!), and the music beautifully played all the way through, this was a special afternoon.  I still have some reservations about the piece as a whole, but when it’s danced like this…who cares?!  

Completely agree.

I still find the music somewhat cinematic but this afternoon's cast made it 'sing'. AND they involved me.

Huge kudos to Yasmine Naghdi, Cesar Corrales, Fumi Kaneko (succeeding in playing very much against type), William Bracewell, Claire Calvert, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Luca Acri, Christina Arestis and Leo Dixon.

And welcome back to the stage Leticia Stock.

• Like 13

58 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

@Rob SI don’t suppose that was you standing next to me in stalks circle standing D6 taking photos? A gentleman with a very professional looking camera was next to me and I’d love to see those photos so I was hoping it was you.

Indeed it was 😊

• Like 2

Very pleased to have made this afternoon’s performance and looking forward to a couple more performances seeing the first cast. There’s much that impresses and the last 10 minutes are a tremendous piece of theatre. But I struggle with the pace which seems quite frenetic at times, with some very short scenes to make points for the narrative. I also think it’s a big ask having three strong characters who come across as pretty unsympathetic - Mama Elena, Rosaura and Gertrudis. And I wonder if the narrative has become too dominant to the detriment of ballet/dance exploring emotions and relationships. I’d like to see if these concerns fade on second and third viewing. 
Great to see the sets and designs from the Balcony and I thought the sound was pretty good where I was sitting with no problems with amplification. And just to say the Orchestra played the National Anthem - it was not prerecorded which I think was suggested earlier or on the other thread.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

Sounded recorded to me…like the Ukrainian anthem was for the special performance 

The National Anthem was NOT recorded. I was right on top of the orchestra, most of whom were standing and reading the music from specially prepared (new) cards.

The Ukrainian National Anthem was not recorded at any performance either. On each occasion (including the special Swan Lake) I was standing looking directly down on the ROH orchestra.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Indeed it was 😊

Wow! I knew iiiit! I’ve been in the presence of a legend and I was too scared to even say hello in case it was just a member of the public 😭 We need a balletcoforum secret code word like spies or something, or maybe a secret handshake 😂😂😂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Very pleased to have made this afternoon’s performance and looking forward to a couple more performances seeing the first cast. There’s much that impresses and the last 10 minutes are a tremendous piece of theatre. But I struggle with the pace which seems quite frenetic at times, with some very short scenes to make points for the narrative. I also think it’s a big ask having three strong characters who come across as pretty unsympathetic - Mama Elena, Rosaura and Gertrudis. And I wonder if the narrative has become too dominant to the detriment of ballet/dance exploring emotions and relationships. I’d like to see if these concerns fade on second and third viewing. 
Great to see the sets and designs from the Balcony and I thought the sound was pretty good where I was sitting with no problems with amplification. And just to say the Orchestra played the National Anthem - it was not prerecorded which I think was suggested earlier or on the other thread.

Interesting, I couldn’t see them from where I was, it just didn’t sound like that was where the sound was coming from 

Just now, Angela Essex said:

Wow! I knew iiiit! I’ve been in the presence of a legend and I was too scared to even say hello in case it was just a member of the public 😭 We need a balletcoforum secret code word like spies or something, or maybe a secret handshake 😂😂😂

Also beautiful photos thanks for sharing @Rob S

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angela Essex said:

😆Oh you saw Marianela Nuñez in the foyer during both intervals too? 😆 

We should all have balletcoforum lanyards to wear!! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

I'd never have the nerve to do it but I sometimes think that standing near either stalls circle standing area & calling out "Anyone from the ballet forum around?" would almost certainly reach multiple members!

• Like 9

If the opening night got 4star reviews then imho this afternoon deserved 5stars and more. For me the metamorphosis of César Corrales from technical whizz into a consummate  dancer/actor/generous partner is one of the highlights of this season. In LWFC he is great as Juan Alejandrez, his Pedro is outstanding. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

My first viewing of this ballet today and where to start???

Firstly, I'm not surprised that BalletCoers are raving about this cast. It was always my first choice cast and they were electric.  Fantastic performances from everyone.  Cesar Corrales' wow factor just seems to get more stunning every time I see him.   Yasmin Naghdi gave everything and Will Bracewell was perfectly cast as the sympathetic doctor......and Fumi (!) what a characterisation! 

My jury is still out on the actual ballet. I am seeing it again next week so expect to have a more concrete opinion then.  First thoughts were that the music was far too similar to the Winter's Tale and I kept having throw back moments throughout.  I like the Winter's Tale but I don't wish to see it repeated in another ballet, I want something different.  Also, I couldn't find a haunting melody to latch onto - there were snatches, but nothing that stuck. 

Reading the synopsis is essential if you are going to follow anything that's going on. I've read the book, but didn't care for it.  However, it did help in this case to resolve the plot.  The action moves fast (good) and the scenery and props are very well thought out.  Not so keen on the fact that there is a symbolic tree (another echo of the Winter's Tale) though nothing like as resplendent as in TWT.  

I didn't have any moments where my spine tingled, or a hairs on the back of the neck moment.  Perhaps I will next week. I hope so.  However, I did appreciate the superb dancing by all concerned (watch out for Joseph Sissens in Act 1 in particular).  Do I want to see it again - yes I do.  Will it be a fixture on the RB repertoire in years to come - I'm not sure.  

Edited by JennyTaylor
typo
  • Like 12

How strange, thank you for clarifying....I went to many performances of Swan Lake when the Ukranian anthem was played and the special performance sounded completely different even though I was standing in the same place in Stalls Circle...today's anthem had the same qualities, like it was coming from speakers.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PeterS said:

For me the metamorphosis of César Corrales from technical whizz into a consummate  dancer/actor/generous partner is one of the highlights of this season. In LWFC he is great as Juan Alejandrez, his Pedro is outstanding. 

With ENB, Cesar was everything you say of him now - except that he didn’t have much opportunity to partner.

However, that element of his performances has come on in leaps and bounds with the RB. Great to see.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1