RBS JA application and audition 2022

Siqiuk

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Astrid said:

When DD joined in year 6 I think maybe there were 6 that joined with her so @Waverleyis correct that there isn’t a set number of places that appear year to year it can change depending on Centre and also group size. if you don’t get in in year 4, keep working hard and keep trying 🙂, we did! good luck to you all, DD has had a wonderful year. 

I’m sure I remember us both posting on the JA thread when they were in y4 - so glad your DD got a place! 

So many kids join in y5 or y6, honestly if you don’t get the news you want this year then try again 🙂 

• Like 1

On 29/05/2022 at 12:56, Mumof1 said:

Aren’t there 2 classes of year 6’s ? 
I’d estimate there’d be 7 places in my daughters 32 week course but there’s also the 24 (I think) week one , so could be another 7 ? 

Just realised who this is! Yep, there are 6 year 4s in our 32 week class, and I was recently told there was on 1 in the 24 week, but I now think it’s that there’s just one year 4 girl in the 24 week class, but also a few year 4 boys.

• Like 1

Hi, newbie here. This is my DD (aged eight) first audition, she went to London. I feel completely lost with all this - I'm not a dancer! Her dance teacher suggested she try, but I feel like this won't be the last time as she loved it so much. I know that if it's a no this year she will want to try again next year. I'm not sure who will find the wait harder, her or me!

Edited by CatJ
Autocorrect change

@tinydancingfeet 

Presume it would only be people who live equidistant to two centres who would put down two centres. For where I live, only one centre was an option.

There might have been people who couldn't make their local audition date and travelled as a one off to another centre to audition. But that won't be huge numbers, I don't think. 

Where we went everyone I spoke to was auditioning for that centre.

Others might have a different picture.

If a second centre isn't an option for you, no point in putting one down. As much as I love my DD, and she loves ballet, I am not prepared to travel 3+ hours each way. There are other families who are, and hats off to them! I just don't have the time, energy or resources, and I don't feel bad about saying that.

• Like 2

Hopefully it has changed these days but years ago I’ve met parents who actually pored over RBS’ annual reports to check out centres’ place offer percentage rates, number of applicants, male/female ratio/etc to see which centre might be best for their DCs to audition in. Because you can audition in a different centre to the one your DC wants to attend, I do know of some who auditioned in other centres for a place in, for example, the London centre. Because no one really knew how it worked and whether their theories hold water, there was always talk of how RBS allocated associate places, would the results come out with the centre they auditioned in or the centre they want to attend, would it be advantageous to audition in a centre with not as many applicants, etc etc - I remember the seemingly hours of discussion over where to audition. It may have moved on since then but I guess that’s how it can be in some rare cases because places are so highly sought after.

@Neverdancedjustamum it only came to my mind because I read a comment above about how busy London Audition was , my daughter went to y6 Leeds , our local centre and it wasn’t as busy as I expected, I know London will probably have more spaces available, but just wondered if they would send some of those kids to the other centres like Leeds , yeah I can imagine some families know the ins and outs of how it all

works, I’m new to all this not sure how any of it works 

2 hours ago, Tinydancingfeet said:

@Neverdancedjustamum it only came to my mind because I read a comment above about how busy London Audition was , my daughter went to y6 Leeds , our local centre and it wasn’t as busy as I expected, I know London will probably have more spaces available, but just wondered if they would send some of those kids to the other centres like Leeds , yeah I can imagine some families know the ins and outs of how it all

works, I’m new to all this not sure how any of it works 

We definitely know of people that auditioned for London and were offered their next closest centre in previous years. Sometimes because they had it as a second option, sometimes not. RBS know who they want, and shuffle some people around to make it happen.

My child auditioned four years ago in Covent Garden for a Y6 place at Eastleigh. We chose London auditions for the full RB experience as it was the first time my child had ever auditioned and could have been the last time they were in Covent Garden.

That year there were four Y6 places at Eastleigh, 2 boys 2 girls. All had ticked Eastleigh centre. There were no Y4/5 spaces.

Everyone child already there at that JA centre had chosen that specific centre. 

I have not in the last four years heard of anyone being offered another centre outside of their choices selected on the forms.

On 01/06/2022 at 20:02, Waverley said:

I’m sure I remember us both posting on the JA thread when they were in y4 - so glad your DD got a place! 

So many kids join in y5 or y6, honestly if you don’t get the news you want this year then try again 🙂 

Thank you @Waverley! ☺️X

i took my daughter to audition at the Eastleigh centre but for a place in London, because we couldn't make the London dates. I am now worried incase by the time they got to the London dates they forgot all about children from other centres 🤣 Lets hope that isnt the case!!! 

Just now, dancecrazy1 said:

i took my daughter to audition at the Eastleigh centre but for a place in London, because we couldn't make the London dates. I am now worried incase by the time they got to the London dates they forgot all about children from other centres 🤣 Lets hope that isnt the case!!! 

It’s not where your child auditioned it’s what centre you put on the form.

On 05/06/2022 at 22:11, Tinydancingfeet said:

Is it a case of most people

audition at the centre they want to attend ? I only put one centre on my daughters forms ? 

We applied the London centre but did our audition in Bath early May due to the half term travel plan.

Hi Everyone,

New here my daughter auditioned for JA in April she's currently year 3 school year. I'm not entirely sure how JA are split if it's all ages together or separated into year groups or a combination. My daughter has a great attitude to the whole process gave it 100% thoroughly enjoyed the audition and when I said the percentages of children accepted compared to those who audition is very small I don't know exact numbers/percentages but I didn't want her to be disappointed or see it as reflection on her as a dancer if she didn't get a spot her response was to say well I can only do my best and then asked if she could audition next year if she didn't get a place this year.  Honestly think I was more nervous than she was no way I could of done this at the same age and I learning to dance. Sorry I'm rambling my question is does anyone know how many places are available? Is it dependent on how many children move up, if it's split by age/year group for example how many moving from year 4 to year 5 if that makes sense. She auditioned at Totnes and that's the centre we put down as a first choice. I don't expect to hear until end of the month/beginning of July and my daughter is focused on next RAD exam so has pushed it the back of her mind. Think I'm just curious how it all work's if it's the same for all centres, if it's the same each year or changes. 

Thank you to anyone who got through this rambling message which I hope made some sort of sense!!

8 hours ago, Theatrefan said:

Hi Everyone,

New here my daughter auditioned for JA in April she's currently year 3 school year. I'm not entirely sure how JA are split if it's all ages together or separated into year groups or a combination. My daughter has a great attitude to the whole process gave it 100% thoroughly enjoyed the audition and when I said the percentages of children accepted compared to those who audition is very small I don't know exact numbers/percentages but I didn't want her to be disappointed or see it as reflection on her as a dancer if she didn't get a spot her response was to say well I can only do my best and then asked if she could audition next year if she didn't get a place this year.  Honestly think I was more nervous than she was no way I could of done this at the same age and I learning to dance. Sorry I'm rambling my question is does anyone know how many places are available? Is it dependent on how many children move up, if it's split by age/year group for example how many moving from year 4 to year 5 if that makes sense. She auditioned at Totnes and that's the centre we put down as a first choice. I don't expect to hear until end of the month/beginning of July and my daughter is focused on next RAD exam so has pushed it the back of her mind. Think I'm just curious how it all work's if it's the same for all centres, if it's the same each year or changes. 

Thank you to anyone who got through this rambling message which I hope made some sort of sense!!

Going off previous years, i think you’ll start hearing this/next week. We found out Weds 16th June for Leeds so i reckon it’ll be next Weds for Leeds 🤞🏻

2 hours ago, BalletMummy123 said:

Did anyone audition for Totnes or Birmingham? I’m tipping those will be the first to hear possibly sometime next week? 😬

My daughter auditioned for Totnes she was told they would hear end of June/beginning of July.