RBS JA application and audition 2022

Siqiuk

4 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

The year my DS was successful, he was the only boy offered a space in Birmingham. The other 6 or 7 spaces went to girls. Its clear that there will be substantially fewer boys applying than girls, but as a proportion of spaces offered, I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s easier or more likely a boy will be offered a place. Just my personal opinion. It much might vary substantially from centre to centre. 

From memory, there were three other year 5 boys that were successful that year, they joined the other Birmingham JA class that my DD was in.  They would all have been in the same class in line with previous years but were split in to two due to COVID restrictions. 

Agreed though that they will only take who they like, regardless of gender.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Fairydust said:

From memory, there were three other year 5 boys that were successful that year, they joined the other Birmingham JA class that my DD was in.  They would all have been in the same class in line with previous years but were split in to two due to COVID restrictions. 

On reflection, I could be wrong on this @BalletBoysDad the year I'm referring to is year 5, you may be referring to year 6 JAs

44 minutes ago, Fairydust said:

I am refering to Y5 entry that was supposed to start in September 2020, but was postponed to January 2021.  That year, Birmingham took around 6 or 7 new girls (over Y4 and Y5) and my DS.  They formed their own independent group, separate to the 'existing' JA's, where 3 boys were already in the other group.  I believe those boys all became JA's in Y4.  That's my understanding.  Though due to covid, it was a very small intake that year.  They took far more boys in Y6 (September 2021 entry) as they started a specific boy-only class.

1 minute ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I am refering to Y5 entry that was supposed to start in September 2020, but was postponed to January 2021.  That year, Birmingham took around 6 or 7 new girls (over Y4 and Y5) and my DS.  They formed their own independent group, separate to the 'existing' JA's, where 3 boys were already in the other group.  I believe those boys all became JA's in Y4.  That's my understanding.  Though due to covid, it was a very small intake that year.  They took far more boys in Y6 (September 2021 entry) as they started a specific boy-only class.

Ah yes, that is the year I am referring to.  My DD was a JA from year 4 (pre COVID with one class of year 4 and year 5 boys and girls combined) and in the Jan of her year 5 (Jan 2021), 3 new year 5 boys joined (not in previous year 4) and 1 boy continued from year 4.  No year 5 girls joined her class as I believe all the new girls were in the other group with your DS, as you said. 

15 minutes ago, Elz said:

I assumed you stayed in your school year group for JAs, but by the sounds of it that's not right?

How's it organised?

It depends on the centre and pre and post COVID

My DD joined as a year 4 JA in Sep 2019 in Birmingham when there was one class of year 4 and year 5 boys and girls combined. 

Year 5 changed  due to COVID - my DD was in a small class with only year 5's,  six girls in total and one boy, all of which were JAs from year 4. 

In Jan 21, part way through year 5 for my DD, 3 new boys joined DDs class and an additional class was formed, which @BalletBoysDadhas referred to. 

In year 6 for my DD (current year) she was in a year 6 class of all girls, approx.18-20 of them.

So a real mix for us but the training has been amazing throughout and we are so pleased DD was given the opportunity to train with The Royal Ballet School from year 4 to year 6.  The Birmingham teachers have been fantastic, in studio and on zoom.  

I cant comment on other centres as I believe they are all structured differently.

Good luck if your DC is auditioning this year

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Yes I think they took very few that year. Only 2 year 6 girls, 1 year 5 and 2 year 4s in Bath....following year a lot more got in so I think maybe the pandemic affected numbers a lot....Good luck everyone...we got a no in year 4 then a yes year 6 - so don't give up if it's not a yes straight away. The audition is a lovely experience in itself we always treated it as a nice day out and who doesn't want a day off school! X 

18 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

Yes I think they took very few that year. Only 2 year 6 girls, 1 year 5 and 2 year 4s in Bath....following year a lot more got in so I think maybe the pandemic affected numbers a lot....Good luck everyone...we got a no in year 4 then a yes year 6 - so don't give up if it's not a yes straight away. The audition is a lovely experience in itself we always treated it as a nice day out and who doesn't want a day off school! X 

That year was definitely a tough year numbers-wise. I think it was clear Covid really did put a massive pressure on the size of the intake. I was glad to see (in Birmingham), the creation of a boys-only group which saw a bigger increase in offers for places starting in September 2021. Hopefully, with a large proportion of current Y6 boys, that materialises into a number of fresh spaces for this September. 

• Like 1

What's the thinking on going weekly or fortnightly to JAs? I put "no preference". Is it easier to get a fortnightly space as you are effectively sharing one spot? 

My DD normally dances with friends on a Saturday and would really miss that. So I thought fortnightly might be a good compromise.

On the other hand, seems foolish to miss out on weekly instruction from these amazing teachers.

Thoughts?

(All academic as she is statistically unlikely to get a place at all, I am just wondering)

Edited by Elz

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, BalletMummy123 said:

How did those find their JA auditions who have had them already? Ours is next week 😬

My dd really enjoyed hers, came out very happy. She said there wasn't anything difficult, just a basic class and some standing still in different positions, and everyone was very friendly. Hope you both enjoy the experience xx

I also wondered if leeds had less applicants because it  ,was originally 26th and 27th but taken down to just 26th , my daughter went to the 1.45 y6 audition it wasn’t as busy as I imagined however there were some in before ours ? 

Edited by Tinydancingfeet

8 hours ago, Ballerinamama said:

Does anyone have any last minute tips for the audition? My daughter is up next week. She’s confident, but I am less so. 

Just enjoy. Show the panel how much she loves to dance. They do an improvisation in the audition. I think DD had to pretend to be either waves or a tree. She had to stay in her knees and dance with her arms so all about listening to the music. 

Enjoy every minute if of it. Good luck x

23 hours ago, Ballerinamama said:

Also, does anyone know how many places are available for Year 6 in London?

There are currently only 7 year 4s in London so presumably, when the current year 5s move up into their own year 6 classes, there will only be 7 extra places to fill.

1 hour ago, Ballerinamama said:

Yikes, that’s not a lot! 

Aren’t there 2 classes of year 6’s ? 
I’d estimate there’d be 7 places in my daughters 32 week course but there’s also the 24 (I think) week one , so could be another 7 ? 

Edited by Mumof1

1 hour ago, Mumof1 said:

Aren’t there 2 classes of year 6’s ? 
I’d estimate there’d be 7 places in my daughters 32 week course but there’s also the 24 (I think) week one , so could be another 7 ? 

14 places is more promising. Thanks for this.

• Like 1

On 29/05/2022 at 14:53, Ballerinamama said:

14 places is more promising. Thanks for this.

I was always under the impression that more spaces become available as each year progresses. For example (totally made up numbers here) there could be a very modest intake of 4 new Y4 kids, then when they ‘rise’ to Y5, they make a lot more spaces available for new Y5 intake. So 4 become (eg) 8, with 4 new students joining. Then when they ‘rise’ to Y6, that 8 might become 12/14 etc, again making capacity for some new Y6 intake. If they really want someone, they’ll find a space for them. Otherwise , if you didn’t get in in Y4, you'd have no chance of joining later (which really isn’t the case). That’s just what I’ve been told along the way. 

• Like 1

Yes in my experience there's no set numbers and also it really varies from centre to centre. Some centres have different groups split by age/sex and others are all combined. At the centre we have experience of, there is only one class and it's a mix of y4/5/6 and boys/girls. 

Each year there has been a different make-up of ages - a few years ago there was only one y4, for example, the next year there were 3 y4s. 

A lot of children join in y5 or in y6 so it's not a case that every year a set number move up a year and the same number come in and take those places. 

• Like 1

When DD joined in year 6 I think maybe there were 6 that joined with her so @Waverleyis correct that there isn’t a set number of places that appear year to year it can change depending on Centre and also group size. if you don’t get in in year 4, keep working hard and keep trying 🙂, we did! good luck to you all, DD has had a wonderful year. 

• Like 2