RBS JA application and audition 2022

Siqiuk

Hi all, it seems there is a thread every year for the RBS JA application and audition discussion. I am just started to getting the application ready and we had a photo session done yesterday in the studio to support the application but then realised my DD was wearing tights not white short socks. Her ballet teacher suggested it would be ok but I am a bit worried. 

Should we re shoot the photos (not professionally in the studio) or use the ones with white tights?

Cheers.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 29/03/2022 at 21:22, BalletMummy123 said:

Applications closed today didn’t they? Does anyone know when you are likely to hear about the auditions? Xx

We haven't received any audition date confirmation yet but the website advice for early May audition. 

1 minute ago, BalletMummy123 said:

Good luck!! Can I ask how did the audition go and what kind of things did your DC have to do? Xxxx

My DC is terrible for remembering what has just happened so when she came out all she could tell me was that there was some stretching and some dancing 😂 but she did say that it was just like a ballet class and that she really enjoyed it so it sounds like it was a very positive experience which is lovely. Think she was so nervous and concentrated so much that as soon as she was out she left it all behind! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanceMum03 said:

My DC is terrible for remembering what has just happened so when she came out all she could tell me was that there was some stretching and some dancing 😂 but she did say that it was just like a ballet class and that she really enjoyed it so it sounds like it was a very positive experience which is lovely. Think she was so nervous and concentrated so much that as soon as she was out she left it all behind! 

They always make it so relaxed for them and such a positive experience! 

I don’t suppose you know how long they said till you will hear? I have an awful feeling it will be when all the auditions are over which will be end of May into June 😝

7 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

They always make it so relaxed for them and such a positive experience! 

I don’t suppose you know how long they said till you will hear? I have an awful feeling it will be when all the auditions are over which will be end of May into June 😝

DC said she thinks they told her end of June! But I thought I read somewhere beginning of July! Either way it is a long old wait, eek.

• Like 1

My DD went for her audition today in Bham.

She said:

Started in a big circle, had to do skips and gallops

Did some work at the barre, plies and tendus in first position 

Had to lie on their tummies and do a "seal" (?)

Had to lie on their back and do a frog

Bend down and touch their toes (for ages, apparently)

When they were doing the exercises, the judged walked around the room and spoke to some children that were not doing it right (along the lines of "relax your arm" or whatever)

She said a lot was barefoot, so either wear socks or those tights with holes in. Some girls had to dance in tights feet, which was presumably quite slippy/not the best.

There were some other things they had to do, but she couldn't remember them/was fed up of telling me

Overall, she loved it, had a great time and didn't feel under any pressure once in there. She was terribly nervous before!!!

• Thanks 1

Good luck to everyone auditioning for JAs this year - its a fantastic programme in my experience and both my kids have got a lot out of it. 

It's a few years ago now but if it helps, when DD applied the auditions ran from the end of April right up until 2 or 3 June I believe, then results came out gradually, centre by centre, from mid June to end of June (and that followed the pattern of previous years). It may of course have changed now - the few years since then were all a bit different to the norm due to covid amendments/video auditions etc. 

1 hour ago, Elz said:

My DD went for her audition today in Bham.

She said:

Started in a big circle, had to do skips and gallops

Did some work at the barre, plies and tendus in first position 

Had to lie on their tummies and do a "seal" (?)

Had to lie on their back and do a frog

Bend down and touch their toes (for ages, apparently)

When they were doing the exercises, the judged walked around the room and spoke to some children that were not doing it right (along the lines of "relax your arm" or whatever)

She said a lot was barefoot, so either wear socks or those tights with holes in. Some girls had to dance in tights feet, which was presumably quite slippy/not the best.

There were some other things they had to do, but she couldn't remember them/was fed up of telling me

Overall, she loved it, had a great time and didn't feel under any pressure once in there. She was terribly nervous before!!!

Great summary! Do they need to do box/middle splits at all? My daughter is asking 🤣

No splits as far as I can make out.

There was also some music they put on and they had to move to the music, slow and fast.

Also some jumping which apparently was hard work.

They had to stand in demi pointe for a long time without falling over, as well.

My DD really loved it and is now dreaming of a life on the stage at Covent Garden..... I have tried to manage expectations and was then just told not to take her dreams away from her. Thankfully they don't hear until July, so I can have another go at preparing her for (highly) possible rejection.

The sheer number of girls auditioning took me by surprise, even though I knew there would be loads. It was one group after another, full of excited and hopeful little girls. It was actually lovely to see so many children so into their ballet.

Does anyone know the actual stats of applicants to places (for year 4 places, currently in year 3)?

I think it’s 1 in 10 as an average around the country. I could be totally wrong, but I’d imagine that London and Birmingham (for example) would have a higher number of applicants than some of the other centres, meaning the chances of getting a place there are slightly lower - I guess they could offer second choice places to the kids they want though and it might not make that much of a difference! 

I think if I’ve learned anything from the last couple of years, it’s to try not to read too much into anything, try not to refresh emails too obsessively and to make sure our kids know that there’s not one single route to success, lots of people take different paths. Their happiness is what’s most important! I hope all the little ones auditioning have a great experience and it just fuels them to keep working at something they love doing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissEmily said:

@MedoraNowhere near, no. Boys are much more likely to be offered a place.

The year my DS was successful, he was the only boy offered a space in Birmingham. The other 6 or 7 spaces went to girls. Its clear that there will be substantially fewer boys applying than girls, but as a proportion of spaces offered, I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s easier or more likely a boy will be offered a place. Just my personal opinion. It much might vary substantially from centre to centre. 

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Spelling error
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BalletBoysDad said:

The year my DS was successful, he was the only boy offered a space in Birmingham. The other 6 or 7 spaces went to girls. Its clear that there will be substantially fewer boys applying than girls, but as a proportion of spaces offered, I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s easier or more likely a boy will be offered a place. Just my personal opinion. It much might vary substantially from centre to centre. 

I'd be inclined to agree with this - and the other thing to note is that they don't have set numbers of kids who they will take into each centre, in the sense that they won't fill a place if they don't see someone who they want to fill it.