YBSS scholarship audition

DanceMamma

14 hours ago, DanceMamma said:

Does anyone have experience of the ybss scholarship auditions? What to expect and how many are successful/offered?

xxx 

Hi,

It’s always a friendly audition and a great class. I think there are 20 dancers in each group, no pointe work for girls. There are a large number of scholarships awarded to a mixture of vocational and non vocational dancers across the age groups.
Not too sure of the exact number available but possibly around 40-50.

I am sure someone else will be able to give an accurate number. 

• Like 1

My DD has been to two of these. For someone who doesn’t normally like auditions, she actually doesn’t mind these and said the teacher and panel are always very lovely. The ones we know who got these scholarships are all full time vocational students (or about to go full time), and all from one particular school although this is probably coincidence in our case as we don’t really know many people in the dance world. Not to say that no non-full time ever gets it, or none from other schools, just that we personally don’t know of any. I also think some can be awarded it a few times over the years, I might be wrong but I think that’s the case. They do always seem to have a good and friendly atmosphere according to my DD, even for someone like her who doesn’t really know many of the other DCs. However, I do think that in her case it helps that she goes in with literally no expectations whatsoever hahah! She just treats it like a good class. She knows she’s not full time and doesn’t really dance or train as much as others (and for some reason has a default dancing face that looks grumpy)…even when she’s happy. Because of this, she has always enjoyed it. She’s never asked me for the result, now that I think about it. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

My DD has been to two of these. For someone who doesn’t normally like auditions, she actually doesn’t mind these and said the teacher and panel are always very lovely. The ones we know who got these scholarships are all full time vocational students (or about to go full time), and all from one particular school although this is probably coincidence in our case as we don’t really know many people in the dance world. Not to say that no non-full time ever gets it, or none from other schools, just that we personally don’t know of any. I also think some can be awarded it a few times over the years, I might be wrong but I think that’s the case. They do always seem to have a good and friendly atmosphere according to my DD, even for someone like her who doesn’t really know many of the other DCs. However, I do think that in her case it helps that she goes in with literally no expectations whatsoever hahah! She just treats it like a good class. She knows she’s not full time and doesn’t really dance or train as much as others (and for some reason has a default dancing face that looks grumpy)…even when she’s happy. Because of this, she has always enjoyed it. She’s never asked me for the result, now that I think about it. 

@Neverdancedjustamumdid you also put in a ‘normal’ application for your daughter? Was she successful this way? Wonder if those who attend the scholarship audition but aren’t successful can be successful via the normal route? 🤔 

12 minutes ago, Clementine said:

@Neverdancedjustamumdid you also put in a ‘normal’ application for your daughter? Was she successful this way? Wonder if those who attend the scholarship audition but aren’t successful can be successful via the normal route? 🤔 

Hi! We have never put in a normal application but yes, definitely, I know of lots who got a place via the normal route despite not attending the scholarship audition or attended it but didn’t get a scholarship. I would assume that this would be the case for most people as the number of scholarships is quite limited in relation to those who actually attend the summer course. So absolutely go for it either way. I’m afraid our experience of YBS is extremely limited (to basically two scholarship auditions). My DD has never attended the actual summer course or any of the pop ups, but I’m sure lots on this forum would have and would be happy to give feedback :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My dd auditioned for a scholarship and did not get it but did get a place last summer. She loved it! She is going to Easter and waiting on Birmingham scholarship auditions but not expecting anything. We have not applied for this summer yet. Hope they let us know soon x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you not have to submit an application anyway even if you attend the audition? How do they know their ages at the auction if you haven’t submitted applications. 

I ask because I spoke to YBSS and DD is auditioning for the scholarship just to have a go. She’s only year 6 so is joining the year 7-8 audition and they said don’t worry because they will know her age. But I haven’t submitted an application yet? 

I do intend to but your post @Ms Sunshinehas confused me 😁

3 hours ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Hi! We have never put in a normal application but yes, definitely, I know of lots who got a place via the normal route despite not attending the scholarship audition or attended it but didn’t get a scholarship. I would assume that this would be the case for most people as the number of scholarships is quite limited in relation to those who actually attend the summer course. So absolutely go for it either way. I’m afraid our experience of YBS is extremely limited (to basically two scholarship auditions). My DD has never attended the actual summer course or any of the pop ups, but I’m sure lots on this forum would have and would be happy to give feedback :)

You have to apply for the course as well as the scholarship in a separate application.  I’m not sure if that is very clear but we did read this the year we applied.  There are also a number of means tested bursaries which you can note you wish to apply for at the same time as the course application.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SJBallet said:

Do you not have to submit an application anyway even if you attend the audition? How do they know their ages at the auction if you haven’t submitted applications. 

I ask because I spoke to YBSS and DD is auditioning for the scholarship just to have a go. She’s only year 6 so is joining the year 7-8 audition and they said don’t worry because they will know her age. But I haven’t submitted an application yet? 

My DD is in the same position and doing the audition for experience really - did we maybe have to put down their age when we signed up the audition? It’s all blurring into one application form after another… 

7 minutes ago, Waverley said:

My DD is in the same position and doing the audition for experience really - did we maybe have to put down their age when we signed up the audition? It’s all blurring into one application form after another… 

If I remember correctly, it was a ticket system for the scholarship audition (eventbright type thing???), so you would have chosen an age group for the ticket? 

My understanding is that you needed to apply for summer school as well. 

Do you mean that your DC is just doing the audition for experience, with no application for the summer school? Is that something people do? No criticism meant by that!

12 minutes ago, Waverley said:

I did wonder that but I really can’t remember 😁

I am hoping to do the application this week but I’m not relishing the photo battle that always ensues 😩

Just now, DanceMamma said:

If I remember correctly, it was a ticket system for the scholarship audition (eventbright type thing???), so you would have chosen an age group for the ticket? 

Do you mean that your DC is just doing the audition for experience, with no application for the summer school? Is that something people do? No criticism meant by that!

The youngest age group was years 7-8 but DD is year 6 so will be younger than some (possibly the majority) of the attendees. 

No she isn’t just doing it for experience (we’ll I suppose she is sort of seeing as she’s younger than the audition group is aimed at so unlikely possibility of a scholarship) we are also applying for the summer school. I just wasn’t sure if the application was needed prior to the scholarship audition. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SJBallet said:

Sorry yes reading it back it is very confusing! You do need to apply separate as others have said. 

1 hour ago, DanceMamma said:

No sorry when I said she was doing it for ‘the experience’ I just meant that she is very aware (as are we) that getting a scholarship is unlikely, not least because she is a very young year 6 and the audition class is for Y7/8. But she wanted to give it a go and I think it’s all good practice and a chance to be taught by different people etc. 

We have applied separately for the summer school itself as she would like to try and get a place even without a scholarship. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Waverley said:

No sorry when I said she was doing it for ‘the experience’ I just meant that she is very aware (as are we) that getting a scholarship is unlikely, not least because she is a very young year 6 and the audition class is for Y7/8. But she wanted to give it a go and I think it’s all good practice and a chance to be taught by different people etc. 

We have applied separately for the summer school itself as she would like to try and get a place even without a scholarship. 

They offer to all age groups and how you perform in the audition is taken into account.  You never know how the panel will make their decisions.

• Like 1

Well DD absolutely loved the YBSS audition so whatever happens it was well worth it - she came out v happy and feeling like she’d done her best which is all you want for them really. 

Does anyone know when the scholarship results come out? Is it just with the main applications (which I think the website says is around 1 April)? 

• Like 1

I get the impression no one year has been the same judging by our experience and that of DD's friend.  It may depend on the dates of the auditions but her friend received a scholarship one year and they definitely heard the good news before we had even applied so must have been a few weeks after the auditions but before the course application deadline.  Another year they had a no early on with a letter to apply if they want to apply for the course.  One year we applied it was a no to scholarship and no to a place in the same e-mail after the April deadline.  I think now you have to apply for the course separately and not sure it was always that way.  Hope I am not causing confusion during the anxious wait for e-mails.  😅

• Like 1

Applications close 1st March and they always send out results super quick! In fact DDs Easter offer came through on the affernoon of deadline day! And last year's summer one was equally as quick, with a no for scholarship but offer of place in same email.

• Like 1

It was an expected no for DD. She enjoyed it but was a bit blown away by the competition. She’s non-vocational but does go to 2 well-known associate classes, but she knew straight away that she wasn’t in the same league as others in her audition group. It was a great experience for her so she’s glad she tried out. 

10 minutes ago, DanceMamma said:

It was an expected no for DD. She enjoyed it but was a bit blown away by the competition. She’s non-vocational but does go to 2 well-known associate classes, but she knew straight away that she wasn’t in the same league as others in her audition group. It was a great experience for her so she’s glad she tried out. 

Which centre did she audition at @DanceMamma? And how old is she? V well done to her for trying. You never know until you try! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DanceMamma said:

Am I right in assuming/hoping that the offers for the summer school are separate? So, those not offered scholarships could still be given a place? 

Not long until the deadline so I guess we’ll get those results soon too?

Yes.....it says on my DDs email about applying for summer residential and there Still being time. I am sure they close 1st March

2 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Yes.....it says on my DDs email about applying for summer residential and there Still being time. I am sure they close 1st March

Oh yes, it says the same on ours. That’s reassuring. Hopefully we’ll find out early March then. 

Edited by DanceMamma
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...