ENB: Forsythe programme at Sadler's Wells Spring 2022 (changed from originally advertised)

Email from ENB:

We are writing to let you know about a change to the programme for THE FORSYTHE EVENING at Sadler’s Wells.

Unfortunately, Covid-19 has had a significant impact on rehearsals for our upcoming performances. In light of this, and to ensure our audiences experience work of the highest artistic quality, we have taken the difficult decision to adapt the programme for THE FORSYTHE EVENING to comprise Blake Works I and Playlist (EP) only. This means Approximate Sonata 2016 will no longer be performed.

We apologise for any disappointment this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

“William Forsythe is a master of 20th century choreography. These two pieces exemplify his ability to present classical vocabulary in a way that speaks to audiences of all ages. Blake Works I is one of the most beautiful ballets I have seen in a long time. Alongside this, we will return to Playlist. With its combination of unique choreographic style and exhilarating music, it’s an onstage party and one which we cannot wait to share with you.”
Tamara Rojo, Artistic Director, English National Ballet

If you would like to find out more about the works being performed, watch our short film and hear from ENB’s dancers about working on Playlist (Track 1, 2) with William Forsythe. 

Ticket bookers will also be contacted directly by Sadler’s Wells.

• Thanks 2

Just now, alison said:

Drat.  I was hoping you were going to say something along the lines of they'd replaced something with In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated :(

Yes; I note the word 'adapt' is used in place of the perhaps more accurate 'cut'!

• Like 3

I was very disappointed when I got the email.  I booked months ago for a ticket for me and my daughter to attend on my birthday. After all 3 performances of Raymonda I had booked were cancelled, this was the last straw.  As Approximate Sonata was already in their rep I find it hard to believe they can't stage it, there are 9 weeks before the SWT programme. There was no hint in the email of a substitution. And still no news of a likely regional tour, not that they come anywhere near where I live.

• Like 3

Sob!  😢

Still going though. 

On the plus side, no need to rush for the trains home!  😀

Blake Works I looks really good from the clips that the Paris Opera Ballet have released of their production, and Playlist Track 1,2 is actually being expanded to become Playlist (EP)- not just a must see but a must must see!

59 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

I was very disappointed when I got the email.  I booked months ago for a ticket for me and my daughter to attend on my birthday. After all 3 performances of Raymonda I had booked were cancelled, this was the last straw.  As Approximate Sonata was already in their rep I find it hard to believe they can't stage it, there are 9 weeks before the SWT programme. There was no hint in the email of a substitution. And still no news of a likely regional tour, not that they come anywhere near where I live.

My feelings exactly, SheilaC. And even if it hadn’t been in their rep, 9 weeks is surely enough time to perfect “work of the highest artistic quality”. 

9 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

My feelings exactly, SheilaC. And even if it hadn’t been in their rep, 9 weeks is surely enough time to perfect “work of the highest artistic quality”. 

Looks like they are taking Creature to Chicago before they start work on Forsythe so not as long to play with.

I did look up the Forsythe programme this morning as trying to encourage some friends to come and thought something was missing.  On receiving the email, my main thought was that it could have been worse- thankfully nothing was cancelled.

True. But I do think that we shouldn’t be in the position of having to be grateful for small mercies. And if the Chicago Creature tour is the real reason for the decision to ‘adapt’ the programme, could this be another case of Adele-itis, albeit considerably milder since so far this is not a full cancellation and it comes with plenty of advance warning. 

I've seen Blake Works in Paris and it is good, dynamic, another reason for wanting to go.

If the reason really is due to an overseas tour then it's yet another example of how in recent years there has been a change in balance between national and international touring, to the disadvantage of the taxpayer and English ballet lovers.

• Like 3

Wonder how long the programme would have been with AS and whether that means Playlist is actually going to be much longer, or if it will be a very, very short show? 

It will be interesting to see what the running times of the show turn out to be.

Now for the waiting game to see when casting information  appears....

4 hours ago, SheilaC said:

I've had an email from Sadler's Wells stating that as compensation for the shorter programme I can receive a free programme on the night. No hint that I can return the tickets and get a refund or voucher.

I feel bad for Mr Forsythe that his Approximate Sonata 2016 is implied by the management to be worth only £6 to £8! (Their usual programme prices.) It’s  a substantial ballet!

Can’t help feeling it’s a bit of a waste as their dancers are more than up to the challenge. Even one pas de deux from AS would be worth it- I know Cojocaru, Robison and Dronina (from the original cast) have left the company now, but there are still other soloists from the last run who could prepare an excerpt, I’m sure - Adams, Caley, Streeter, Hedman, Hernandez etc etc. Or perhaps even another Forsythe work like Steptext or an excerpt from In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated, which many of the company have danced before ....? For me it’s more the waste of opportunity for the dancers than feeling shortchanged (although I think we do feel a bit shortchanged as it is)  if the rest of the show isn’t going to be very long. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, SheilaC said:

I've had an email from Sadler's Wells stating that as compensation for the shorter programme I can receive a free programme on the night. No hint that I can return the tickets and get a refund or voucher.

Well, Sadlers' standard conditions do allow you to return tickets, although there's some admin fee to pay.  Very frustrating for the dancers, and everyone else, I guess, though.

• Like 1

I really love this ballet so I was quite gutted to hear that it’s been cut, though if any of the pieces were at risk of being chopped it was Approximate Sonata. 

I agree with Emeralds, I saw the second cast perform this and it introduced me to Rina Kanehara and Sarah Kundi who are both wonderful artists. It also was one of the few leading roles Angela Wood has done (who I think is a lovely dancer). I was really excited to see it again but perhaps they’ll keep it around for next season as I presume they’ve already paid for the rights to put on the work.

• Like 1

English National Ballet
THE FORSYTHE EVENING
Sadler’s Wells, London
31 March – 10 April 2022
ballet.org.uk/the-forsythe-evening

English National Ballet’s much-anticipated performances of THE FORSYTHE EVENING will take place at Sadler’s Wells, London, from Thursday 31 March – Sunday 10 April 2022. 

Dancer: Erik Woolhouse. Photo © Jason Bell. Creative Direction: Charlotte Wilkinson Studio

Having premiered William Forsythe’s first creation for a UK ballet company in over 20 years in 2018, Playlist (Track 1, 2), English National Ballet’s relationship with the revered American choreographer continues with THE FORSYTHE EVENING. 

The bill includes an extended version of Playlist (Track 1, 2), Playlist (EP), presented in the UK for the first time.Juxtaposing ballet classicism and athleticism with the beats of neo-soul and house music, the piece expands with six tracks ranging from Khalid and Barry White to Lion Babe, and up to 30 dancers on stage. 

Joining Playlist (EP) is Blake Works I, a soulful piece for 21 dancers set to seven songs from James Blake’s album The Colour in Anything. Solos, duets and intricate group formations reflect the poetic melodies and words of Blake’s music.

English National Ballet’s Artistic Director, Tamara Rojo CBE, said: “William Forsythe is a genius of 20th century choreography. This bill exemplifies his ability to present classical vocabulary in a modern context in a way that speaks to audiences of all ages. Blake Works I is one of the most beautiful ballets I have seen in a long time; and I am thrilled we will see the Company return to Playlist with its combination of Forsythe’s unique choreographic style and exhilarating pop music – it’s an onstage party which is a complete joy to witness.”

Due to the significant impact of COVID-19 on rehearsals, the programme for THE FORSYTHE EVENING has been adapted to comprise of Blake Works I and Playlist (EP) only. Approximate Sonata 2016 will no longer be performed. 

Cunard is Production Sponsor for THE FORSYTHE EVENING.

-ENDS-

English National Ballet is grateful for the generous grant it has been awarded through the Government’s Culture Recovery Fund, which allows it to continue to create, perform and serve its audiences.

Notes to Editors 

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 

NatWest is Principal Partner of English National Ballet.

Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet. 

English National Ballet is an Associate Company of Sadler’s Wells.

Production Credits: 

Blake Works I

Choreography, Stage Design - William Forsythe
Lighting Design - Tanja Rühl, William Forsythe
Costumes - Dorothee Merg, William Forsythe
Music - James Blake; songs from The Colour in Anything

Playlist (EP)
Choreography, Stage Design, Costumes - William Forsythe
Lighting -Tanja Rühl
Music
Peven Everett – Surely Shorty
Abra – Vegas
Lion Babe – Impossible (Jax Jones remix)
Khalid – Location
Barry White – Sha La La Means I love You
Natalie Cole – This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)

Listings:

THE FORSYTHE EVENING 
Sadler’s Wells, London 
31 March – 10 April 2022 
www.ballet.org.uk/forysthe 

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet’s growth and evolution ever since. 

English National Ballet brings world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through live performances across the UK and on eminent international stages including The Bolshoi Theatre and Palais Garnier; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet’s Dance for Parkinson’s.

Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo CBE, English National Ballet has introduced ground-breaking new works to the Company’s repertoire whilst continuing to honour the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw English National Ballet enter a new chapter in its history when it moved into a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, Mulryan Centre for Dance, bringing a renewed commitment to, and freedom for, creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before.
www.ballet.org.uk

About Arts Council England 
Arts Council England is the national development agency for creativity and culture. We have set out our strategic vision in Let’s Create that by 2030 we want England to be a country in which the creativity of each of us is valued and given the chance to flourish and where everyone of us has access to a remarkable range of high quality cultural experiences. We invest public money from Government and The National Lottery to help support the sector and to deliver this vision. www.artscouncil.org.uk

Following the Covid-19 crisis, the Arts Council developed a £160 million Emergency Response Package, with nearly 90% coming from the National Lottery, for organisations and individuals needing support. We are also one of several bodies administering the Government’s Culture Recovery Fund and unprecedented support package of £1.57 billion for the culture and heritage sector. Find out more at www.artscouncil.org.uk/covid19

About Cunard
Cunard is a luxury British cruise line, renowned for creating unforgettable experiences around the world. Cunard has been a leading operator of passenger ships on the North Atlantic, since 1840, celebrating an incredible 181 years of operation. A pioneer in transatlantic journeys for generations, Cunard is world class. The Cunard experience is built on fine dining, hand-selected entertainment and outstanding service. From five-star restaurants and in-suite dining to inspiring guest speakers, the library and film screenings, every detail has been meticulously crafted to make the experience unforgettable. There are currently three Cunard ships, Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria with destinations including Europe, the Caribbean, the Far East and Australia. In 2017, Cunard announced plans to add a fourth ship to its fleet.  This investment is part of the company’s ambitious plans for the future of Cunard globally and will be the first time since 1998 that Cunard will have four ships in simultaneous service. Cunard is based at Carnival House in Southampton and has been owned since 1998 by Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE:CUK).  

• Thanks 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to ENB: Forsythe programme at Sadler's Wells Spring 2022 (changed from originally advertised)

Surely if the programme has changed significantly customers would and should be entitled to refunds? (Not sure about contractually but certainly from a good will perspective.) 

I understand it’s been a tough year financially with covid and also the impact it will have had on morale and rehearsals but to cut a third of the programme (and given it is unlikely but not improbable that some people may have booked for that alone) without any offering of refunds and a price reduction seems bizarre.

I agree 9 weeks should be enough to prepare the additional piece as planned but obviously we don’t know the details so I respect that rather than overwork dancers (risking more injuries) or showing something under rehearsed they’ve taken the decision to cut now. 

I do hope this sells well and am looking forward to seeing it nonetheless but for how long can covid be used as an excuse to radically alter plans? I accept it is a valid reason but not offering (at least partial) refunds and reducing overall performance prices despite the difficult situation is the main issue to me here. 

• Like 6

When Covid first curtailed theatre I had tickets for Northern Ballet performing Great Gatsby at the Leeds Playhouse.  Obviously I carried them forward.  In the end Gatsby was eventually replaced by the Covid-modified version of Dangerous Liaisons.  I got a partial refund from the Playhouse without even asking as the ticket prices had been reduced!

• Like 2

I do think offering less than one hour of dancing is unacceptable.  

They could add to the programme with divertissements, especially from Raymonda or even Nutcracker.  Of course I don’t understand the ENB specific rehearsal scheduling difficulties.  It seems to me it should be possible given the casts for the Forsythe pieces are small.  

Then rename the programme  ‘Forsythe and extras’ 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

I do think offering less than one hour of dancing is unacceptable.  

They could add to the programme with divertissements, especially from Raymonda or even Nutcracker.  Of course I don’t understand the ENB specific rehearsal scheduling difficulties.  It seems to me it should be possible given the casts for the Forsythe pieces are small.  

Then rename the programme  ‘Forsythe and extras’ 

Some of those featured at the anniversary gala could work very well, I think.

• Like 2

I emailed ENB querying the running time of 1 hour 20 minutes, including an interval .. and received this polite explanation in reply.  I guess we do have to be understanding for some time yet about the difficulties caused by ongoing covid absences.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Thank you for your email. The running time you’ve given below is correct – there will be about one hour of dancing.

I am very sorry for the disappointment caused by these changes.

This change to the programme is not a decision that was taken lightly by our artistic team. Unfortunately, our rehearsal schedule was severely impacted by Covid-19 cases within the company, and we do not have enough time to prepare the planned programme to the necessary standard. The dancers are on holiday for two weeks following Raymonda, and they will also need to prepare for and perform the international tour of Creature in Chicago at the end of February. This leaves the company with only a few weeks to learn new choreography and rehearse for The Forsythe Evening.

I hope this helps to explain the decision. Please let me know if you have any questions”

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

A reminder PR:

ENB_Large_Symbol_Logotype_Locked_Colour.jpg

English National Ballet
THE FORSYTHE EVENING
Sadler’s Wells, London
31 March – 10 April 2022

ballet.org.uk/the-forsythe-evening

English National Ballet’s dancers will take to stage next week for THE FORSYTHE EVENING, an electric evening of dance at Sadler’s Wells, London, which runs from Thursday 31 March - Sunday 10 April 2022.

ENB70-Gala-Playlist-Track-12-by-William-Forsythe-©-Bill-Cooper.jpg

Photo caption: English National Ballet dancers performing Playlist (Track 1, 2) which features in THE FORSYTHE EVENING from 31 March - 10 April at Sadler's Wells, London

With choreography by the legendary American choreographer William Forsythe to modern music by artists including James Blake, Lion Babe, Khalid and Barry White, this is set to be an evening to remember. 

The bill includes an extended version of Playlist (Track 1, 2), Playlist (EP), presented in the UK for the first time, which combines ballet classicism and athleticism with the beats of neo-soul and house music and Blake Works I, a soulful piece featuring solos, duets and intricate group formations set to seven songs from James Blake's album The Colour in Anything

Listen to THE FORSYTHE EVENING playlist now available on Spotify, and watch the trailer on YouTube.

Listings:
THE FORSYTHE EVENING
Sadler’s Wells, London

31 March – 10 April 2022
www.ballet.org.uk/the-forsythe-evening/

Notes to Editors

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 

NatWest is Principal Partner of English National Ballet.

Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

English National Ballet is an Associate Company of Sadler’s Wells.

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet's growth and evolution ever since.

English National Ballet brings world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through live performances across the UK and on eminent international stages; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet's Dance for Parkinson's.

Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo CBE, English National Ballet has introduced ground-breaking new works to the Company's repertoire whilst continuing to honour the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw English National Ballet enter a new chapter in its history when it moved into a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, Mulryan Centre for Dance, bringing a renewed commitment to, and freedom for, creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before. www.ballet.org.uk 

About Arts Council England 
Arts Council England is the national development agency for creativity and culture. We have set out our strategic vision in Let's Create that by 2030 we want England to be a country in which the creativity of each of us is valued and given the chance to flourish and where everyone of us has access to a remarkable range of high quality cultural experiences. We invest public money from Government and The National Lottery to help support the sector and to deliver this vision. 
www.artscouncil.org.uk

Following the Covid-19 crisis, the Arts Council developed a £160 million Emergency Response Package with nearly 90% coming from the National Lottery, for organisations and individuals needing support. We are also one of several bodies administering the Government's Culture Recovery Fund and unprecedented support package of £1.57 billion for the culture and heritage sector. Find out more at www.artscouncil.org.uk/covid19