6th Form auditions entry 2022

Silversparkle

6 minutes ago, balletboy11 said:

And us! We have received an invite to the DADA funding audition for a boarding place. However, it says we are on a waiting list for a boarding place as there is no boarding available at the moment. Also is a DADA a set amount or means tested? Thanks. 

The DaDA is means tested and unfortunately not nearly as generous as the MDS.  The difference in terms of overall funding is that is that while the MDS is based on numbers the DaDA places will vary depending on how much funding each applicant is entitled to.  The published scales are, I have been told, pretty accurate.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dance-and-drama-awards-income-scales/dance-and-drama-awards-income-scales-2018-to-2019-academic-year

1 hour ago, Dance.Mum said:

The DaDA is means tested and unfortunately not nearly as generous as the MDS.  The difference in terms of overall funding is that is that while the MDS is based on numbers the DaDA places will vary depending on how much funding each applicant is entitled to.  The published scales are, I have been told, pretty accurate.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dance-and-drama-awards-income-scales/dance-and-drama-awards-income-scales-2018-to-2019-academic-year

Thanks for this. So as previously mentioned looks like very little if any accommodation help with a DaDA. So from what I have read Tring are able to offer MDS, so presumably some have received a different funding audition letter??

2 hours ago, balletboy11 said:

Thanks for this. So as previously mentioned looks like very little if any accommodation help with a DaDA. So from what I have read Tring are able to offer MDS, so presumably some have received a different funding audition letter??

As far as I am aware, the MDS is only for yr7 - 11 and DADA is for 6th form.   I don't think MDS funds are available for 6th form students. 

From what I have been told, Tring can offer some 'assistance' with the accommodation fees to those in receipt of DADAs, but only in line with the maintenance funding on the link posted above - ie you'd need to be on less than £30,000 household income to get help.  They don't care about your outgoings  This may be old information, but that's what help they offered a friend of mine a few yrs ago.  I guess the best thing to do is contact them and ask if there is any doubt. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Silversparkle said:

As far as I am aware, the MDS is only for yr7 - 11 and DADA is for 6th form.   I don't think MDS funds are available for 6th form students. 

From what I have been told, Tring can offer some 'assistance' with the accommodation fees to those in receipt of DADAs, but only in line with the maintenance funding on the link posted above - ie you'd need to be on less than £30,000 household income to get help.  They don't care about your outgoings  This may be old information, but that's what help they offered a friend of mine a few yrs ago.  I guess the best thing to do is contact them and ask if there is any doubt. 

Is that true…no MDS for sixth form? Are scholarships available for sixth form? If it’s only DADA then sadly Tring isn’t viable for us 😢

22 minutes ago, Twinkletoes12 said:

Is that true…no MDS for sixth form? Are scholarships available for sixth form? If it’s only DADA then sadly Tring isn’t viable for us 😢

To my knowledge/experience the only school that DaDas tuition and boarding fees together is Elmhurst. For 6:1 and 6:2. Our MDS and then DaDa with them was near enough the same in contribution. 
I believe RBS offer MDS at US. All the other USs DaDa only cover tuition fees, ENBS etc, and would have cost us as a family thousands more per year. This was a few years ago so I’m happy to be corrected 😊 

2 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

To my knowledge/experience the only school that DaDas tuition and boarding fees together is Elmhurst. For 6:1 and 6:2. Our MDS and then DaDa with them was near enough the same in contribution. 
I believe RBS offer MDS at US. All the other USs DaDa only cover tuition fees, ENBS etc, and would have cost us as a family thousands more per year. This was a few years ago so I’m happy to be corrected 😊 

This is pretty much what we have been told.

Those at Elm from Lower school move to a DaDA plus a top up (bursary/scholarship) from the school which will give them the equivalent of what they were receiving on the MDS.  Not sure what 6th Form starters get but I am assuming just the DaDA.  Would be interested to know of they offer the additional funding to new starters or just those moving up from Lower school.

Royal US get MDS if they are eligible, based on residency.

ENB is DaDA and a number of scholarships but never heard of anyone actually getting one.

From my reading of the information from Tring they have a range of scholarships and bursaries most of which are for those on courses other than dance.  MDS can be offered to those other than Year 7 entry.  There have been posts over the years from those entering higher years including 6th form, although I have been told this is rare.  The MDS policy states: "In many cases the award ends at age 16 when Year 11 is completed but occasionally the scholarship may be extended for the duration of the Sixth Form. This is decided on a case by case basis using evidence from assessments and faculty consultation with the Principal." and "If a scholarship is removed at the end of Year 11, this is normal practice as mentioned earlier. All dance students will be encouraged to audition for the school’s Sixth Form Dance and Drama Awards. These are also means-tested but they do not offer additional support for music lessons, medical insurance and uniform costs."  

Having looked at the MDS and DaDA scales we would get nothing on the DaDA but a reasonable percentage of fees and accommodation covered on an MDS.  I hadn't fully appreciated that 6th From funding was less advantageous than Lower schools.

9 hours ago, junedancer said:

This is pretty much what we have been told.

Those at Elm from Lower school move to a DaDA plus a top up (bursary/scholarship) from the school which will give them the equivalent of what they were receiving on the MDS.  Not sure what 6th Form starters get but I am assuming just the DaDA.  Would be interested to know of they offer the additional funding to new starters or just those moving up from Lower school.

Royal US get MDS if they are eligible, based on residency.

ENB is DaDA and a number of scholarships but never heard of anyone actually getting one.

From my reading of the information from Tring they have a range of scholarships and bursaries most of which are for those on courses other than dance.  MDS can be offered to those other than Year 7 entry.  There have been posts over the years from those entering higher years including 6th form, although I have been told this is rare.  The MDS policy states: "In many cases the award ends at age 16 when Year 11 is completed but occasionally the scholarship may be extended for the duration of the Sixth Form. This is decided on a case by case basis using evidence from assessments and faculty consultation with the Principal." and "If a scholarship is removed at the end of Year 11, this is normal practice as mentioned earlier. All dance students will be encouraged to audition for the school’s Sixth Form Dance and Drama Awards. These are also means-tested but they do not offer additional support for music lessons, medical insurance and uniform costs."  

Having looked at the MDS and DaDA scales we would get nothing on the DaDA but a reasonable percentage of fees and accommodation covered on an MDS.  I hadn't fully appreciated that 6th From funding was less advantageous than Lower schools.

I’ve got a few years to go yet but I’ve just realised we would get nothing on a dada which might sound like we are well off but after mortgage and everything else for 3 kids we don’t have disposable cash (I suppose what might be considered disposable cash goes on dance lessons costumes etc!)  We don’t have extravagant holidays  or fancy cars but certainly can’t afford £12,500 a term for ballet school!  This will definitely disappoint dd as she had her heart set on trying for an upper school place. 

I think a few of the schools are quite flexible in their approach to funding if they really want your dc, and current parents won’t always be able to say what their child receives, as not discussing it is often a condition of the award.  It’s always worth a discussion with the school about your individual circumstances. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Farawaydancer said:

I think a few of the schools are quite flexible in their approach to funding if they really want your dc, and current parents won’t always be able to say what their child receives, as not discussing it is often a condition of the award.  It’s always worth a discussion with the school about your individual circumstances. 

If a school really really wants a student they can and do offer a scholarship.  It is misleading, though I’m sure very well intentioned to suggest that fees can be negotiated at vocational schools; unless of course you can provide first hand information that this has occurred.

MDS and DaDa have the up to date income scales on the .gov website for people to look out.

They are purely income based on financials, not outgoings, they do however take into account things like siblings under 16. The fees are the fees. 

1 hour ago, NotadanceMa said:

If a school really really wants a student they can and do offer a scholarship.  It is misleading, though I’m sure very well intentioned to suggest that fees can be negotiated at vocational schools; unless of course you can provide first hand information that this has occurred.

MDS and DaDa have the up to date income scales on the .gov website for people to look out.

They are purely income based on financials, not outgoings, they do however take into account things like siblings under 16. The fees are the fees. 

I didn’t say fees could be negotiated; I said they can be flexible in what they offer in the way of funding/awards/scholarships. And yes, I do have first hand experience of this, but as I also said I can’t discuss the details. 

17 hours ago, NotadanceMa said:

From experience I have to agree with farawaydancer that if a school really wants your child then they will make it happen with scholarship funding if you are not eligible for DADA or MDS

We dd is in tring 6th form and there are a few who have mds - the ones who have a mds are the ones who were in year 11 and were able to carry there mds funding into 6th form, as a rule any new students will be on dada - but saying that as said above if they want you they will fund you somehow! 

• 3 weeks later...