Mental health and elite sport

Lifeafterballet

I’m feeling so so proud of the current elite athletes who are prioritising their mental health over their sports demands and expectations. Also, the very brave challenge of sexualisation in sport. Im shocked to read the clothing rules for some sport’s 😮
Simone Biles for one, leading the way 💪 She alone is not USA Gymnastics. It’s a team !! Ballet is a team event too. There is a lot to learn and a long way to go. 

• Like 15

So good that more and more athletes are being honest and upfront about the huge part that mental health plays in elite sport. The more this happens, the more any stigma and shame will be eroded, and that can only be a good thing.  There’s a reason that so many elite athletes have access to Sports Psychologists as well as Physios, Trainers and Coaches.

Now we just need to turn down the volume on un-empathic and arrogant “celebrities” who don’t believe in mental health and think that those who suffer with MH problems are selfish/lazy/quitters and need to “toughen up”.  There is no place for such attitudes in 2021.  

• Like 12

Simone Biles is a true inspiration to everyone particularly young athletes. It’s proof that nothing not even the olympics is worth sacrificing your mental health for. What I find really lovely from looking online is the support she is receiving from her coaches and teammates. As you said earlier Cotes du rhone ballet is a team event too and the dancers deserve to feel just as supported not alone. For example, it’s no good just referring dancers to the school’s psychologists without a proper support system in place in the studio and there shouldn’t be this stigma. Open conversations should be had with the dancers  as its all too common for dancers to struggle with things like body image, anxiety self esteem etc. As you said the ballet world still has a long way to go however I feel that positive small changes are happening.  

• Like 5

Me too.  I'm very glad she made it, because as you say, getting back on the "horse" is vital.  If she'd gone home without competing, you have to wonder how easy she would have found it to get going again - assuming that she will want to.

• Like 4

Mental "blocks" in gymnastics are normal even at recreational level.  However, very dangerous as causes a gymnast to freeze and stop rotating in mid air and needing to be spotted/caught by their poor coaches.  My dd them on her back tucks from flick on floor.  I can't even image the danger Simone would be in with her ability/skills and power if she froze on her blocked twists and landed her neck.  She is phenomenal in everyway! Her beam had no twisting - hopefully, she will get her mind and body back sync soon - her smile is just radiant x

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

It was heart breaking. As a former figure skater, I can see that her talent and technique are exceptional. Drugs don't make you that good. Maybe they can help you train harder or have a marginal benefit, but she is truly exceptional (I have watched her skate before the Olympics) and it is so sad that she has been so badly failed by everyone around her to end up in this situation. I also think that a lot of the media coverage is focused on many aspects but the importance of mental health and damaging practices at an individual level. Lots of people must be held accountable. 

• Like 7

So sad. One of the real tragedies of doping in any sport is that it detracts from what an athlete actually can do. I don't believe there is a drug on earth that can turn a mediocre performer into a world beater in any sphere. Doping may make an already talented athlete perform a bit better for a bit longer but they would still probably be great if drug free. And the longer term effects are just not worth it.

This case is particularly shocking as it's a child who I doubt has any real understanding or say in what happens to her. Reminds me of the young gymnasts we used to see from the USSR, East Germany etc in the 70s and 80s. I thought things were moving on, but clearly not fast enough.

• Like 4

I watched the BBC interview with Torvill and Dean afterwards who picked up something I thought was glaring after the event - the fact that her coach didn't hug her when she finished (especially when she had done so after she had been in gold medal position after the short programme, the first time she had skated after the drugs scandal had become public). Both T and D were highly critical of this lack of support and comfort. Then the presenter (I think Hazel Irvine but might be wrong) went on to say that they were getting (at that time unconfirmed) reports that someone had translated the comments the coach had made immediately after the performance and it was along the lines of :"what happened? Why did you give up?' etc.

I'd like to say I was surprised but...😩

Edited by MAK
Missing word
  • Like 6

It's not only Valieva, either:

"Silver medallist Trusova, meanwhile, was upset that her free skate, which earned the top score of the night and featured attempts at five quadruple jumps, had not won her the gold.

"Everyone has a gold medal, everyone, but not me," said the 17-year-old, who was in tears before the flower ceremony. "I hate skating. I hate it. I hate this sport. I will never skate again. Never." "

What does that say about her mental and emotional state?  So sad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/60399342

• Like 6

It is so heartbreaking. I know our DCs have a tough time with all the dynamics of dance training etc, but at least they are not doing it on TV, in front of millions of people, with the hopes and dreams of their nation on their shoulders.

It makes me think that maybe there should be a lower age limit to compete at the Olympics.  As the commentators kept saying last night...she's a child.  Well why do we as a society allow children to be put in such a vulnerable position as this.

I know they would still have to train right through their childhood, and compete at a very high level at a young age to reach Olympic standard by the time they are young adults, but I think an 18 to 20 year old would be much better equipped to deal with the very unique pressures that the Olympics brings than a 15 year old.

• Like 6

On 17/02/2022 at 18:00, cotes du rhone ! said:

Broke my heart today to watch a skating performance from a traumatised young athlete. Abuse in elite training / sport needs to stop The adults surrounding this young lady need to be held accountable for their management and behaviours. 

I was so sad watching this. And absolutely astounded at her ability to pick herself up and keep going to the end - she's only 15! That takes something - bravery? Fear? I don't know what kept her going, but it was something unusual. At 15, I'm sure most would have skated off the rink or frozen.

Edited by glissade
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just watched this very unsettling report on ITV news - the parallels between their experiences and those of my DD and others in her year/school is stark - surely just a matter of time before the spotlight turns to vocational ballet training? 
https://www.itv.com/news/2022-11-08/the-weight-shaming-culture-that-sentenced-gymnasts-to-lifelong-health-issues

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Out-the-other-side said:

Just watched this very unsettling report on ITV news - the parallels between their experiences and those of my DD and others in her year/school is stark - surely just a matter of time before the spotlight turns to vocational ballet training? 
https://www.itv.com/news/2022-11-08/the-weight-shaming-culture-that-sentenced-gymnasts-to-lifelong-health-issues

We too would be happy to share our experiences if it would change the toxic culture within ballet and vocational training. But sadly I fear it won’t 😣 

• Like 2

Two quotes from the report that especially ring true for our experience:

“The way I got treated, the trauma, absolutely everything was even worse. And that makes it even harder to deal with, that all of this came from something I started when I was three years old - loving it, wanting to do it all the time - to something that changed my life completely," she said.

and

“I would go from like 8am to ‘weigh-time’ without drinking water just because it would have made my life easier in the long term because I wouldn't have to deal with the repercussions at training later in the day, if I just stopped myself from eating or drinking water.”

“It was honestly like a form of torture. You feel so trapped because you're being like hounded and screamed at and exercising to the point that you pass out and you couldn't leave; you couldn't tell anyone.”

🥲

• Like 1

On 08/11/2022 at 19:20, Out-the-other-side said:

It can’t come soon enough!!

My child reported being bullied by their vocational ballet teacher to a whole array of adults from Head of Dance, to pastoral and medical staff for a full year; and then me raising it as a concern with one of the school Directors. Tumbleweed……

It took two children in their class this year who were upset by the teachers meanness telling member of staff and happened to mention how awful this teacher is being to my child.

So nearly 4 terms and suddenly it’s a safeguarding concern for the teacher who has been told to stop bullying the students or will face disciplinary. I doubt there will be a disciplinary, just a slap on the wrist with a ‘don’t do this again.’

Interestingly not one member of staff has asked my child if they are ok.

Just disgusting, the whole approach to training and the culture is completely outdated in ballet schools.

What I have come to understand not being in the independent school system before is how closed and lacking transparency the whole system is. The policies and procedures read fantastically well, in practice however they are not followed.

It will take a new generation of teachers to change the culture, perhaps the current Upper School children and the children training now.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Hi all, in the wake of recent articles about body shaming in sports like gymnastics and particularly swimming, I’m carrying out some research about the experience of young ballet dancers (from body shaming to general mental health, bullying and abuse). I know these are extremely sensitive topics and I hope you don’t mind me reaching out. If any of you have experiences you want to share/feel comfortable sharing,  particularly if you have concerns about a certain school or teacher, you can contact me at Meganw.l [@] me .com 

No pressure at all. Thank you for taking the time to read my post - any and all responses can be anonymous! Best wishes, Meg 

Welcome to the forum, Meg.  Can I just remind you - and all readers - of the forum "guidelines", aka the AUP, which state:

"Contacting members for research We have a large constituency of dancers on the Forum so people may come here to find guinea pigs for their academic research. It is best that people seeking subjects should go through the dance schools so that bona fides can be checked, rather than soliciting help here.

Nonetheless, should you wish to post here, be aware that to take account of concerns about exploitation, particularly of children, we will remove postings unless it is made clear that it is over-18s who are being canvassed. If thinking of replying you should realise that we have no way of checking posters’ credentials and therefore advise caution before responding."

• Like 4