Professional Dance Options for 18+ students

Lulu

Hello everyone :)

I am a 17 year old high school student (in the UK) and I'm hoping to enter into some sort of dance university in 2022. My dream is to be a professional dancer in a prestigious company (preferably a more ballet focused one), but I know that dreams are rarely tied to reality so I'm trying to keep my options open and my plans realistic.😜

I attend a small, private studio three times a week and I am currently working towards my advanced 1 exam with the Royal Academy of Dance, which I should have done in the summer of 2020 but covid came along and dashed those plans 😂

I was wondering if anybody could tell me if they knew of any vocational universities or conservatoires which mostly specialize in ballet? I also do ISTD tap and modern so I have experience in other dance types as well, and I am aware that it is near impossible for me to get into an all ballet school without having been in full time dance since at least the age of 16. I am not the most exceptionally talented dancer and I've had to work hard in class, but I've been getting good exam results in the last few years (I managed to bag myself a distinction in my RAD grade 8 exam last year!) and I have a real passion for dancing. Additionally, I am eager to improve and can take criticsm well, my dance teacher being that strict, old-school type.

I have looked at places such as the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, but the accomodation costs for living in Glasgow are exceptionally high and, as one of five kids, money isn't exactly the easiest thing for my family. So I'm basically looking for places with courses similar to the BA in modern dance that the RCS offer (check their website for more details) and  if anybody else has any similar suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Are you entitled to Student Finance as you would get a Maintenance Loan which would be based on your parent's income, for your accommodation.  Their preferred halls of residences are £158 per week which is a bit on the high side but there are other cheaper, private halls such as Student Roost available.  

Other places I can think of for ballet are Central & Rambert but I can't imagine accommodation being cheap in London.

• Like 1

Brighton Academy have started up a BA degree with ballet as the main focus. They took some second and third years from another ballet school that closed and can’t be mentioned on this forum. I think they are offering a first year from Sept 2021 but you would need to check that out. 

Have you thought about any that offer Dance and Drama Award funding? They are means tested and dependent on your parents’ income, you may get some help with living costs. KS Dance in Warrington or Northern Ballet School in Manchester have options to study ballet as a main subject with other dance styles included. 

I hope this helps 😃

• Like 2

I too was going to suggest Northern Ballet School in Manchester.  My dd went there (many years ago) and was on their classical (ballet) strand - but the variety of dance styles taught enabled her to get a job on cruise ships when she wasn't able to find a job in classical ballet.  

Have you considered going down the contemporary route?  The colleges which offer contemporary seem to prefer their students to be more mature than the schools with a predominantly ballet focus where most students start at 16.  You would still get a strong ballet training, but with more diversification.  For this I would look at Northern School of Contemporary Dance in Leeds (accommodation is probably cheaper than in Glasgow and London), London Contemporary Dance School, Rambert School, Laban (all these are in London so again the cost of living may be prohibitive unless you already live in or near London).

• Like 1

My dd  is in 3rd year at The Brighton Academy having transferred from another school as mentioned below, she is doing the BA Ballet degree which has full student funding. The teachers are amazing ex royal ballet, Matthew Bourne etc, and its a small and very friendly and welcoming school. Whilst ballet is the main focus they do contemporary and jazz and the school also has great contacts and patrons. They are taking into 1st year in Sept 21.

38 minutes ago, Justkeepsmiling said:

Brighton Academy have started up a BA degree with ballet as the main focus. They took some second and third years from another ballet school that closed and can’t be mentioned on this forum. I think they are offering a first year from Sept 2021 but you would need to check that out. 

Have you thought about any that offer Dance and Drama Award funding? They are means tested and dependent on your parents’ income, you may get some help with living costs. KS Dance in Warrington or Northern Ballet School in Manchester have options to study ballet as a main subject with other dance styles included. 

I hope this helps 😃

17 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Do you have a link for the Brighton Academy please. When I googled it various ballet schools came up on the search.

I don't seem to be able to post a link, but its theBrightonAcademy.com, site is black background with purple/ blue logo,  also known as TBA, let me know if you still can't find it. 

• Like 1