Free live outdoor dance at The Potemkin Theatre, London on Sunday 5th July and other dates

Starved of live dance?

If you are in or near London head to the Potemkin Theatre, Hoxton Docks in East London for free live outdoor performances on ...

Sunday 5th July

3pm, 5pm and 7pm

A number of Royal Ballet dancers are involved ....Valentino Zucchetti, David Donnelly, Luca Acri, Harry Churches and Annette Buvoli (performing The Dying Swan) plus dancers from other disciplines.

It seems only to be advertised on Instagram ....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Thanks for the info FionaE - I wish I lived nearer London as I feel starved of live performance.

If you are going, I hope you report back!

sadly not going ... I am at least 3 hours drive away 😔  

Edited by FionaE
Typo

• alison changed the title to Free live outdoor dance at The Potemkin Theatre, London on Sunday 5th July and other dates
8 hours ago, alison said:

There's another one?

Again, I don't have any trains tomorrow :( 

I believe they are performing every Sunday afternoon.  It’s not well advertised!   No idea what else is being performed ... Contemporary ? Acrobatics ? 

looks fun sat on the bank opposite watching (photo from last Sunday)

Edited by FionaE
Clarification
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I keep having funny thoughts of how to present ballet in the outdoors, but this looks very uncomfortable :)

It seems forever ago now but Leeds City Council used to provide a series of free events in Roundhays or Temple Newsham parks.  Northern Ballet used to appear in a big tent.  I suppose the set up could have been used fully outdoors as minimal set was used.  Perhaps in case of inclement weather a canopy could be over the stage and the audience would just have to take a chance...

Of course, ENB and Ballet Black have both appeared at Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

........ the audience would just have to take a chance...

There was an audience in the park for the RB Gala in Hull, wasn't there? And I believe that it rained heavily. Of course, the show itself was in the theatre but the cast took a second bow outside.

12 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Social distancing???  .... (in the sense of concern for your neighbour???) .... Perhaps I have just misunderstood ... 

Good question. If this is being performed in a location that encourages people to crowd together to watch it, with no advice or requirement for social distancing, it shouldn't be being performed. (If social distancing could just be ignored whenever people felt like it, all our theatres could come back right now!!).

On 12/07/2020 at 22:55, bridiem said:

Good question. If this is being performed in a location that encourages people to crowd together to watch it, with no advice or requirement for social distancing, it shouldn't be being performed. (If social distancing could just be ignored whenever people felt like it, all our theatres could come back right now!!).

photo of non-SD audience on the bank posted by ROH house manager Salvatore Scalzo.  Admittedly it is outdoors.  I was surprised by the lack of SD.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

These performances so far are only advertised on the DistDancing Instagram page and can happen on Saturdays or Sundays.  The organisers hope to keep them going until October.  On the information page, attendees are asked to socially distance, wear masks and not to block the pathway for passers-by but obviously there is no-one to police this so one hopes that all will behave responsibly.  The Instagram page also contains films of some of the performances and it is interesting to see that, as well as Japanese television, shared by Naomi above, Brazilian and Italian television have also reported on the performances!  

• Like 2

Looks like the police are putting a stop to it, currently at least five police persons are preventing today’s performance from starting. Maybe it got too much of a non distancing crowd. 

Edited by Rob S

24 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Looks like the police are putting a stop to it, currently at least five police persons are preventing today’s performance from starting. Maybe it got too much of a non distancing crowd. 

They'd best be a bit careful as according to the BBC there can now be up to a 10,000GBP fine for people who "organize" an unlicensed event with more than 30 people

Edited by oncnp

So we are even to be denied this?  Why was the BLM demonstration (involving thousands of non socially distanced participants) allowed to happen, when this is probably about 100 people watching and is being stopped?  It’s pitiful. 

I expect the answer is to do unannounced performances at random times for passers by rather than organised events that attract Time Out,  Italian telly and the odd person from halfway across the country 🤫

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I expect the answer is to do unannounced performances at random times for passers by rather than organised events that attract Time Out,  Italian telly and the odd person from halfway across the country 🤫

and 100 or so well behaved people watching dance are not going to riot. 

35 minutes ago, Rob S said:

We did clap and chant ‘let them dance’. Then boo. #rebels 

Such sedition and threatening behaviour!  Seems they are trying to suck out any remaining joy from  our cultural lives. Or even life in general.  

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

We did clap and chant ‘let them dance’. Then boo. #rebels 

It's all downhill from here. Next thing you know you'll be singing "Rule Britannia" at the last night of the Proms! #shocking

On 30/08/2020 at 15:35, Rob S said:

A load of police in four vans are now trying to move the crowd along. We got a silent display of defiant ribbon dangling and that’s   it. A victim of its own success. 

really sorry to hear this