Live From Lincoln Center: ABT, NYCB, Alvin Ailey and others in "blasts from the past"

Another blast from Lincoln Center's 'dance-boom' past .... This one from perhaps happier ABT days ... replete with THAT T&V (Balanchine's magical Theme and Variations) stepping out of the vapours of 1978 replete with Baryishnikov and Kirkland.  In the picture in the caption below you can see the wonderful Ivan Nagy - one of those partners who - like Dowell - could actually keep the magical Makarova ON the music - and who would later - albeit briefly - be a director of LFB/ENB bringing a certain Carlos Acosta (and Jose Manuel Correno) into this country's fold.  

This Live From Lincoln Center broadcast from 1978 features an evening of repertory including, the Act III Grand Pas de Deux of Don Quixote with Natalia Makarova and Fernando Bujones; Michel Fokine’s Les Sylphides, set to music by Chopin, with Rebecca Wright, Marianna Tcherkassky and Ivan Nagy leading the cast; and George Balanchine’s plotless ballet, Theme and Variations, performed by Gelsey Kirkland and Mikhail Baryshnikov to the glorious Tchaikovsky score. Rounding out the broadcast is Fokine’s Firebird, a magical tale of the legendary creature who helps two noble lovers overcome an evil sorcerer, set to an iridescent score by Stravinsky.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

In this context I love the piece that Marcelino Sambe choreographed which I saw this morning.  I found it very deeply moving.  

I'm not sure if this is the right place for it but I thought it so good I wanted to share.  

• Like 5

Like wise this is a beautiful and heartbreaking poem by Joseph Sissions. If you saw 'Men at the Barre' on BBC4 recently you would have seen him talk about his early experience of racism.

• Like 5

Reminder that Lincoln Center resumes its regularly-scheduled Dance Week offerings with today’s Balanchine Tribute program from Dec 1983 (Mozartiana with Farrell!, Who Cares? and Vienna Waltzes); then Alvin Ailey mixed Bill tomorrow...assuming no further changes....and we yet don’t know if there will be any barriers/ requirements to access, as with Sunday’s ABT 1978 show. 

https://m.youtube.com/user/LincolnCenterVideos/videos

Yesterday’s Coppelia postponed to Saturday night, as reported earlier.

I am not sure if this has been shared elsewhere but Lincoln Centre YouTube channel has put up their "Live from Lincoln Centre" series, and this one is from 1978 with American Ballet Theatre in a selection of works from the repertory including Rebecca Wright, Marianna Tcherkassky and Ivan Nagy in Les Sylphides, Natalia Makarova and Fernando Bujones in the Act III Grand Pas de Deux from Don Quixote, Gelsey Kirkland and Mikhail Baryshnikov in Balanchine's "Theme and Variations" and to round off the show Cynthia Gregory and John Meehan in "The Firebird"

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jm365 said:

Jeannette - I tried the link to access the Balanchine Tribute program, but although I reached the Lincoln Center I couldn't find the Tribute. Please can you help?

They haven’t posted it yet. That makes me a bit nervous that they may try to make it difficult to access on purpose (union rules or whatever?)...and we may have to sweat as we did on Sunday night, waiting for special accessing instructions on the ABT-1978 show...or that we may be zinged with a last-minute postponement, as with the SAB Workshop Show on Monday. Let’s all keep our fingers crossed that tonight’s scheduled show will happen.  🥴

Edited by Jeannette

It’s an oldie goldie! ABT at its finest. As discussed in another threat, it’s a shame that the Lincoln Center organization chose to not allow a direct search on YouTube...so cannot be accessed on our Smart TVs for optimal viewing. NYCB’s Midsummer Dream was instantly accessible. Let’s see what they’re planning to do with tonight’s 1983 Balanchine Celebration.

9 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Thanks, Bruce. Actually, I Beta-recorded the whole show in Dec ‘83 (since transferred to DVD)...so I was reporting for others. And it appears that Lincoln Center has removed its website’s reference to the entire show...so not sure what’s cooking. Blackout Wednesday? Still, good to see your links to the individual ballets.

It seems that the Tribute to Balanchine has been postponed. I've pasted in below Lincoln Center's response to a question about it on Twitter:

"I am not able to locate “Tribute to Balanchine” anywhere on the website or YouTube. I had understood it to be scheduled for release tonight at 8 pm. Has there been a change of schedule? Thanks.
·Hi Patti. Yes there has been a change in schedule! We will be rescheduling it. Sorry for the confusion! Please check back on our website in the next few days."
Edited by Bluebird

Shall we give the Lincoln Center at Home series another chance?

”There is trouble all over this world” - the opening words in Alvin Ailey’s Revelations, a work that closes tonight’s scheduled stream of four works in a Quadruple Bill, beginning 8pm est.

If it shows up on YouTube, it should be here:

info on the program:

http://lincolncenter.org/lincoln-center-at-home/show/alvin-ailey-american-dance-theater-chroma-grace-takademe-revelations-173

They wouldn’t dare cancel/postpone this one too, would they? 

Edited by Jeannette

17 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Shall we give the Lincoln Center at Home series another chance?

”There is trouble all over this world” - the opening words in Alvin Ailey’s Revelations, a work that closes tonight’s scheduled stream of four works in a Quadruple Bill, beginning 8pm est.

If it shows up on YouTube, it should be here:

info on the program:

http://lincolncenter.org/lincoln-center-at-home/show/alvin-ailey-american-dance-theater-chroma-grace-takademe-revelations-173

They wouldn’t dare cancel/postpone this one too, would they? 

If they fail to show it (or even if they don't), it is a worthy purchase. I have it on Blu-ray and the whole programme is very good

On 03/06/2020 at 20:05, WoodlandGladeFairy said:

Lincoln Centre YouTube channel has put up their "Live from Lincoln Centre" series, and this one is from 1978 with American Ballet Theatre

This is so good. Thanks @WoodlandGladeFairy

Noticed that Fernando Bujones was given a wreath during the curtain call. Have never seen that before, but love that the male dancer got a tribute as well when the ballerina got the expected flowers. 
Did that happen regularly back then, and now is out of style?

In the future, I'm wondering if fans might give favourite dancers a taxi voucher, rather than a bouquet. A bit of help to keep them off a crowded Tube.

11 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

I can't find the Coppelia that was rescheduled for last night, EST. Has anyone else found it- if so, could you give me a link? Thanks.

It's been postponed.  I've pasted in below a quote from the Lincoln Center website:

"NYCB's Coppélia and Tribute to Balanchine, scheduled for release on June 2 and June 3 will be rescheduled. SAB's Virtual Workshop Performance Celebration and the Juilliard K-12 Dance Workshop with Laura Careless, scheduled to stream from June 1 and June 3, have also been postponed. Please check back for updates."

http://lincolncenter.org/lincoln-center-at-home/series/dance-week

Edited to add that the announcement above doesn't take account of the fact that, before being postponed again, Coppelia had already been rescheduled for June 6 .

Edited by Bluebird

The Live from Lincoln Center broadcasts of the 1978 NYCB Coppelia and the 1983 Tribute to Balanchine (with NYCB in Mozartiana, Who Cares? and Vienna Waltzes) have lately been re-scheduled for Monday, 22nd June and 29th June, respectively, at 8:00 PM eastern time (01.00 GMT):

http://lincolncenter.org/lincoln-center-at-home/series/live-from-lincoln-center

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

• alison changed the title to Live From Lincoln Center: ABT, NYCB, Alvin Ailey and others in "blasts from the past"
  • 2 weeks later...

It has today been reported that NYCB has cancelled their 2020 Fall (Autumn) Season at the NY State/Koch Theater as well as the 2020 Nutcracker (Balanchine's production) season at the same address.  The NY Philharmonic (across the plaza) had already announced that they would cancel all programmes to at least 5th January 2021.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

The reason for only showing Act 3 of Coppeila is given as the following on the Lincoln Centre website

A note on this performance of Coppélia
The decision was made by New York City Ballet and Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts to stream the third act of Coppélia instead of the full-length production. The production from that time included, in the second act, the character of a Chinese doll wearing a mask and making movements that were ethnically and racially insensitive. In recent years, New York City Ballet has changed the costume, make-up design, and movements for this character to eliminate the Yellowface signifiers. The program that will stream on Monday better aligns with the values of NYCB and Lincoln Center. We commit to continued examination of this alignment moving forward.

Guest oncnp
7 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

The reason for only showing Act 3 of Coppeila is given as the following on the Lincoln Centre website

The decision was made by New York City Ballet and Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts to stream the third act of Coppélia instead of the full-length production. The production from that time included, in the second act, the character of a Chinese doll wearing a mask and making movements that were ethnically and racially insensitive. 

Similarly, in the RB production  Dr Coppelius' skullcap (sorry don't know the proper term) disappeared after the Friends rehearsal. It was mentioned on Gary Avis' IG at the time. 

From the NYCB cancellation PR ... (This will make some smile I'm sure ... Not the real thing I realise ... but certainly better than nothing ... )  

"As the Company did during the recently cancelled 2020 Spring Season, New York City Ballet plans to present digital offerings during the period of time when live performances will not be possible."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

The decision was made by New York City Ballet and Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts to stream the third act of Coppélia instead of the full-length production. The production from that time included, in the second act, the character of a Chinese doll wearing a mask and making movements that were ethnically and racially insensitive. In recent years, New York City Ballet has changed the costume, make-up design, and movements for this character to eliminate the Yellowface signifiers. The program that will stream on Monday better aligns with the values of NYCB and Lincoln Center. We commit to continued examination of this alignment moving forward.

Yup.  As I suspected :(