Harlequin Practice Mat

Astrid

59 minutes ago, SMabbutt said:

Was that the professional one or the cheaper version? I've concluded we need to take the plunge and invest in flooring but we have carpet 

Was that the professional one or the cheaper version? I've concluded we need to take the plunge and invest in flooring but we have carpet over floor boards. I don't want to spend more than I have to but equally want to be sure it will be useable.

I'm not sure which my daughter bought but it cost just under £150 incl delivery for the 2.5m x 2m size in grey.  

I'll admit that I'm using an offcut of the vinyl remnant we used for the bathroom, over carpet - it's probably about 2.5 m by 80 cm, I'd guess.  (The carpet is fairly old, well-trodden and not long pile.)  Apart from being a bit narrow for "barre" work, it's doing fine so far - although my current class is largely barre and I haven't really tried jumping unless I am sure the downstairs neighbours are out in the garden.  I also don't do pointework, which may be another consideration.

Marley is a brand name, I don't think it exists any more but it's used a lot in the US to describe vinyl dance flooring in the same way as we use the word hoover to describe a vacuum cleaner.

With regards to Harlequin it's a shame they no longer make their bamboo dance floor.  Its a square of wooden slats that you can place over carpet or other floor and then a square of Harlequin Reversible over the top.  My daughter had one about five years ago and it has come in very useful this past few weeks.  It cost £180 back then.

• Like 1

They (Harlequin) do a sprung  floor system in various sizes which sounds similar; interlocking sprung wood base pieces in 1m x1m & 2m x1 m size so you buy to suit space then have a roll of the cascade or the cheaper option floor cut to size of total board area....but It’s pretty heavy (so perhaps not an ideal option for a multi use room as so many of us are now living!) & expensive...I was looking at a 2m x 2m option & I think with VAT & delivery (to doorstep) it was going to be well over £400

Edited by Peanut68
Typo

We’ve thought about upgrading to the interlock system when we complete some house renovations but you are right, it’s much heavier weight. The old bamboo square simply rolls up at the end of the day and you stand it in a corner along with the cascade. 

• 3 months later...

My wife and U I been jumping on yoga mats on vinyl over concrete. In fact we’ve been putting the harlequin floor over a thick yoga mat, exactly as isn’t recommended. I wouldn’t do much jumping on it past the simple jumps on the spot and I certainly wouldn’t try to turn or move on the mat when it’s over a yoga mat but it hasn’t done our aged limbs any harm doing jumps as part of class four times a week. If anything I sort worry it’s too soft and I’ll be very careful transitioning back to the studio floors if we ever get back into a studio.

The other obvious possibility is dance runners or just doing jumps in normal runners, depending on what you’re trying to achieve: proper moving jumps really need a proper floor to be done safely. And lots of space anyway.

9 minutes ago, Colman said:

The other obvious possibility is dance runners or just doing jumps in normal runners, depending on what you’re trying to achieve: proper moving jumps really need a proper floor to be done safely. And lots of space anyway.

Hello Colman, has your edit button reappeared?  A couple of people had the same issue and they seem to be OK now.

2 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hello Colman, has your edit button reappeared?  A couple of people had the same issue and they seem to be OK now.

No, as can be seen from the mess of the first sentence in the post!

On 09/05/2020 at 17:21, BalletMumOfOne said:

My daughter uses the 1m x 1 m portable floor From here In her bedroom Approx £50 https://softfloorkids.co.uk/category/dance-tiles/ 
it comes in separate click together tiles, So you can buy the length/width you need It has rubber/plastic backing And edges , and has wood affect surface, so doesn’t ruin carpet beneath but provides a sturdy base to dance on, this was fine for barre work and practice for ballet, and great for tap too, It does slide on wood flooring, but we bought the harlequin practice mat and she now uses this on top of the soft floor in her bedroom to give a smoother surface to turn on, but I’m sure a piece of Lino would do taped down with some floor tape 😊

Hello. Does this work well for ballet? The video shows a tap dancer and it says it is.a gloss finish, it looks a bit slippery! 

On 29/08/2020 at 09:03, Raquelle said:

Hello. Does this work well for ballet? The video shows a tap dancer and it says it is.a gloss finish, it looks a bit slippery! 

Hi, it’s ok for barre work, my daughter sprays a bit of hairspray to the soles of her shoes if jumping or completing adagio and says this has been fine and has used it with pointe, but really only for barre work as we only bought 1m x 1m. We bought this to just enable my DD to carry out some small practice barre work on carpet in her bedroom, It’s by no means the best option but for a cheaper alternative it’s been fine, we have now purchased the Harlequin practice mat which she places over this and this makes it less slippy.