RAD exam results

TinyNEDancer

3 hours ago, balletgremlin said:

Results have finally come through. Everyone did much worse than expected, especially performance wise. The girls are all great performers. Maybe it didn't shine through on the camera. None of them got a distinction and even the merits weren't all that high.

That's a bit worrying as my DD did her intermediate by video. We should be getting the results soon so at least the wait will soon be over.

Sorry, I don't know who the examiner was in the end. I'm only the teaching assistant so I'm getting all this info through from the teacher.

Is it a good thing or a bad thing we've still got the videos so can watch them back and see how they did? Obviously none of the dancers were perfect and mistakes and things to be improved can be pointed out but normally teachers have a rough idea of how well everyone will do. 

3 hours ago, balletgremlin said:

Results have finally come through. Everyone did much worse than expected, especially performance wise. The girls are all great performers. Maybe it didn't shine through on the camera. None of them got a distinction and even the merits weren't all that high.

That’s awful! Which grades was it for? Are the results significantly lower than previous results for the same candidates?

How sad if the results have been badly affected because of the video. 

3 minutes ago, DeveloppeD said:

That’s awful! Which grades was it for? Are the results significantly lower than previous results for the same candidates?

How sad if the results have been badly affected because of the video. 

Primary through to grade 8. Results are definitely lower - the teacher has lodged a complaint. I think their performances were affected by having the pair of us watching them instead of an examiner so it felt less like an exam to them but not enough to have impacted them that significantly. Supposedly they were marked and then had another examiner moderate the results so they should be fair. Who knows? 

Would it have been better to postpone? I don't know. The kids were ready and at their peak. I think dancing at home in lockdown and having to carry on with the same grade, they'd have gotten very fed up with everything. Strange times.

not the same but my daughter did a competition over video and normally she shines and does well in this with the same adjudicator but this time didn't even get noticed for finals let alone place.  I am sure you are right that personalities just don't come across on video in the same way as they do live but also it is harder to perform when the person you are performing for can't be seen so the performance isn't as good in the first place. 

with regards to whether you should have postponed or not I would say no. My daughter is missing some exams this term, she is now stuck on those grades for the moment whilst everyone guesses what is going to happen in the future. We are hoping they will now just skip the exams and move on to the next grade but who knows and it would be a shame not to have taken it at all. I would rather she took it and get a lower mark than normal than never take it at all.

I think the pupils will have to just mark it down to part of a very strange year. 

I agree with Mrs Brown. Its disappointing but just chalk it down to experience and move on. The important thing is that the dancers take the learning from these grades and can progress. I imagine the video experience was difficult for all concerned and your pupils did very well to get through it under the circumstances.

I don't have any young dancers at home any more, but my son has missed a music exam. Its hard to keep him motivated on pieces that he has been practising for what now feels like eternity, with no new dates scheduled, but he still wants to do the exam to have the recognition for the work he has done. I suspect that by the time the exam comes around he will have gone off the boil,but we shall see. If he had had the chance to do it just before lockdown I think we would have taken it, even though he wasn't quite ready as it would have been better than being left in limbo.

I think with dance it us even harder because your pupils will have missed so much by the time they return that I imagine you would have to do quite a lot of work with them before they were exam ready again. That could be quite demotivating I would think. Better that you have the excitment of new grades to look forward to when face to face lessons resume than a possible feeling of " oh no,not this exercise again".

• Like 1

I have a bit of a different opinion on this personally. I don’t feel like getting a lower mark just to have done the Grade is good enough. If they have worked hard and applied themselves then they deserve the best mark they are capable of for their personal ability. Why should someone have to just accept a lower mark when, by absolutely no fault of their own, they had to be examined by video rather than in person? 
If someone works hard and studies and trains and puts their all into a grade and is good at it, I don’t personally think it’s ok to dismiss a lower mark as ‘fine given the circumstances’, ‘you’ll do better next time’.
Because they danced their hearts out this time and deserved better. I’m not suggesting candidates should be given inflated marks or any extra advantage for having done them by video... but I strongly believe they shouldn’t be penalised for it either. 

• Like 2

I can see both sides to this one!

Fairness is what’s needed & actually I do think that video exams cannot be judged exactly the same as a ‘live’ exam. I think - just as with GCSE & A’s - that there ought perhaps to be an element of teacher assessment/mock exam results (as in my experience most schools do hold a ‘mock’ ballet exam with a stand in ‘examiner’) with predicted grades & teacher expectations taken into account to help.  

• Like 1

We have now received our results , and after the comments on here i was getting concerned . Our results seems to be as they would have been expected if done with the examiner present. My DD last RAD exam was in line  ( from primary to grade 8 with vocational's in between ) with all others she has received. So its a plus for our school that we managed to get these recordings in prior to lockdown and the fact that the children can move on accordingly . 😃

Edited by 2littledancers
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a text from my teacher to say that RAD are looking to  reschedule our cancelled exams in September and so she is hoping to do catch up lessons in July and August. I feel I have a lot of catching up to do! Lately I'd started feeling very despondent and not really in the mood for online classes but this has given  a real boost to my mood.

Edited by The_Red_Shoes
  • Like 3