Bolshoi London 2019: Retrospective

7 hours ago, Sim said:

Her Juliet at the RB two or three years ago was stunning.  She blew me away with her interpretation, which was different from any I had seen before.  I am getting goosebumps just thinking about it now. 

I believe that her Romeo & Juliet duets were what she was originally famous for, Sim, in the same way that Natalia Osipova was first famous for her Don Quixotes, of which I saw several of her early Kitris that were 'the Bolshoi' for me.

On 20/08/2019 at 18:56, Shade said:

I enjoyed the performances I saw very much but my goodness the ticket prices! It’s always a pleasure to see live performances and the orchestra was great.

I would love to see any of/all of The pharaoh’s daughter, coppelia, Giselle, Raymonda, Paquita, la bayadere, Corsaire. 

And Esmeralda .... I saw that  at StaatsBallett Berlin which was the Bolshoi version and I really enjoyed it, real live goats and all👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Q Fan said:

And Esmeralda .... I saw that  at StaatsBallett Berlin which was the Bolshoi version and I really enjoyed it, real live goats and all👍

DQF, if I recall correctly, the Esmeralda performed by the Staatsballett Berlin was an abridged, 2-act version of the Bolshoi's 3-act version.  Both productions were the work of Yuri Burlaka and Vasily Medvedev.

Esmeralda has been out of the Bolshoi rep since Burlaka's tenure, and I fear that it will not be performed there again in my lifetime.

21 hours ago, now voyager said:

DQF, if I recall correctly, the Esmeralda performed by the Staatsballett Berlin was an abridged, 2-act version of the Bolshoi's 3-act version.  Both productions were the work of Yuri Burlaka and Vasily Medvedev.

Esmeralda has been out of the Bolshoi rep since Burlaka's tenure, and I fear that it will not be performed there again in my lifetime.

That’s a shame Now Voyager - the art can ill afford to lose these productions.

I saw a production of Esmeralda at the theatre that used to be the Maly in St. Petersburg, in the 1980's, it's very hard to remember much apart from the beautiful theatre, sorry to hear that the Bolshoi version, which I always wanted to see, has been dropped from the repertoire, thanks for posting the above video!