Bolshoi London 2019: Retrospective

Well, the three week season is over now (seemingly very quickly) and I'm wondering what everyone's overall thoughts are about it?

For me, it was not 'vintage Bolshoi' insofar as, with the exception of the energy the company brought to Spartacus, I wasn't as 'blown away' as I have been in the past.

The 'stand-out' performances for me were: Zakharova as Aegina and Krysanova as Kitri - but they are long-established stars. The 'newcomers' (notably Kovalyova, Tissi, Motta Soares, Denisova and Sevenard) were 'interesting' but, understandably not quite there in terms of artistry, technique, or both. But they are very young and it will be interesting to see how they have developed when (if) the Bolshoi has another London showing relatively soon. Shrainer seemed to have grown in confidence since three years ago but I'm not sure that she is 'there' yet.

More generally, with the possible exception of Tsvirko and Rodkin, the Principal men (or those taking the leading roles) did not meet my (high) expectations. For example, the 3 Espadas I saw did not make the impact on me that Hirano, Clarke and Ball had made earlier in the year . I accept that the choreography was different but it was still surprising.

However, the corps was stunning and many minor roles were beautifully portrayed across the rep.

And I am missing them already - which has to be a good sign!

• Like 8

It was my first time seeing the Bolshoi and I saw Spartacus/DQ. Considering my high expectations and the fact that they are meant to be on a similar (outstanding) level to RB (or better some might argue although obviously there’s subjectivity always going to be involved) I felt rather underwhelmed.

Perhaps I picked the ‘wrong’ casts - I didn’t get to see Zakharova and I was impressed by Rodkin - but I felt they didn’t ‘tell a story’ like RB. Saying that I also probably picked the ‘wrong’ pieces as I’ve realised I’m not a DQ fan generally and Spartacus isn’t really my thing either. 

But I was still expecting to be blown away by sheer energy, high jumps and perfect corps synchrony and I felt I didn’t see this - or would only see it occasionally. There was the odd corps member or soloist who stood out and I thought was great, and clearly the company is very talented but there was just a bit of magic missing. 

I’m disappointed I missed the Bright Stream as I think this would have been the one that would have impressed me; and whilst their Swan Lake seems a bit odd I think I also would have appreciated the ‘white scenes’ and the Bolshoi technique in this. 

I will note I have found their orchestra to be great, particularly in Spartacus. (I thought they were maybe a tad slow in DQ but they may have just been following the dancers.) 

I hope they do return to London. I’d like to see them bring back Bright Stream, but apart from that would want to see completely different works scheduled. 
  • Like 2

A small aside that I found rather amusing: my brother recently gave me a facsimile edition of the Evening Standard for 21 July 1969 because it covers the moon landing. I was looking through it this morning with interest, and I also saw the Entertainment Guide listings so I idly wondered if anything was on at the ROH then. What did I see? 'Until 2 August, The Bolshoi Ballet'. And what were they performing? Spartacus and Swan Lake. :)

• Like 10

After seeing 5 performances this Bolshoi Season my overall emotion is one of feeling underwhelmed.  As I have said before this was not the Bolshoi that I know and love.  I saw 1 Spartacus, Swan Lake, Bright Stream and 2 Don Quixotes.  Of them all The Bright Stream was the one closest to the "old" Bolshoi and the one I enjoyed the most - I have long since forgotten the Swan Lake as nothing sticks in my mind from that apart from being annoyed at a short set of fouettes(!), Spartacus was reasonably good and Don Q was good but not the previous version I prefer.

I think , for me, based on this tour. the Bolshoi brought dancers from the "old guard" - Zakharova, Krysanova, Shipulina, Nikulina, Skvortsov, Chudin, Loparevich, Rodkin  - who we have seen quite a lot of in recent years and they are very experienced and always give a good show, but then we have the "new guard" a lot of youngsters, with the emphasis on "young" - lots of corps dancers as well that I am not familiar with, this time around. Then there are the "in betweeners" but sadly they just were not used well enough in this run - here I am thinking of the woeful underuse of Anna Tikhomirova, who would have made a fabulous Odette or Kitri, Ana Turazashvili I am sure could do the main roles too and so it goes on.... Artemy Belyakov was given main parts which was good to see and it was great to see David Mott Soares as well who at 22 managed Basilio very well.

I do feel that sometimes the Bolshoi treats London as a slight experiment - they will  try out younger dancers on us before they launch them on the Russian audience in Moscow.  Margarita Shrainer being a case in point having been launched here in 2016 and this year Eleonora Sevenard - I have to say that Sevenard was actually pretty good.

So overall 7/10 3 stars for this run, but for Bright Stream I'd give that 9/10 or 4.5 stars.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, swanprincess said:

Do they not tour to London every three years?

It used to be every 2 years but the Hochhausers took a break last year and the recent interview with Lilian Hochhauser seemed to cast doubt on the future spacing of any Russian visitors her organisation might bring to London.

• Like 2

I only saw Spartacus, and hadn't seen the Bolshoi live for many years, so will not comment on the current quality of the company in comparison to other years. But I do wonder if, given the current excellence of the RB we are slightly more critical than we were? Also, the Bolshoi style, with its high extensions, high leaps and,reliance on technical excellence may be less to our taste than it was?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, capybara said:

It used to be every 2 years but the Hochhausers took a break last year and the recent interview with Lilian Hochhauser seemed to cast doubt on the future spacing of any Russian visitors her organisation might bring to London.

To elaborate on this: last year's absence of Mariinsky or Bolshoi was because the Opera needed the house to rehearse the Ring; next year's is because (from memory) the stage needs replacing - and Lillian Hochhauser said that the Mariinsky would like to come back the following year.

I read somewhere (I think it came from Alex Beard) that much of the stage's equipment, having been installed with the big refurbishment, is near the end of its life and will need to be replaced soon. This could mean further Summer closures, I imagine.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, swanprincess said:

So the Mariinsky aren’t coming to London in 2020?! :(

From the recent Sunday Times interview with Lilian Hochhauser:

"This year’s Bolshoi visit starts with Spartacus on July 29. Will it be the last? There can’t be one next year because of work on the stage. “The Mariinsky have already been in touch with me for the following year. But since I shall be — how old will I be? Ninety-four! But they’re still fine, and the Opera House is still happy with the arrangement.”

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

Then there are the "in betweeners" but sadly they just were not used well enough in this run - here I am thinking of the woeful underuse of Anna Tikhomirova, who would have made a fabulous Odette or Kitri, Ana Turazashvili I am sure could do the main roles too and so it goes on....

Both Anna and Ana are excellent in variations and shorter roles but both have limitations when it comes to primary roles.  Anna has had trouble sticking with the choreo and Ana has not yet reached the technical level necessary for primary roles. Both are favorites in Moscow, however, and have been working hard and making progress, so perhaps we will see Anna as Kitri some day, and Ana as Odette. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lark said:

Both Anna and Ana are excellent in variations and shorter roles but both have limitations when it comes to primary roles.  Anna has had trouble sticking with the choreo and Ana has not yet reached the technical level necessary for primary roles. Both are favorites in Moscow, however, and have been working hard and making progress, so perhaps we will see Anna as Kitri some day, and Ana as Odette. 

Anna Tikhomirova has danced Kitri but not in London.

I think that her baby in 2017 delayed her promotion process. Otherwise she should made to the leading soloist level...

• Like 2

Thank you for the Anna and Ana info.

If the Mariinsky can't come to London in 2020 what about the regions we'd love to see them "up north"  same goes for the Bolshoi it's yonks since they both came to the The Lowry, for example.  There IS life beyond London.....and probably cheaper tickets too!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, alison said:

Remind me what happened last time the Mariinsky performed at the Lowry?  (or was it in Cardiff?)

When Mariinsky was at the Lowry, Vaziev let one corps de ballet member made her debut in the role of Odette-Odile - her name was Victoria Tereshkina.

In Cardiff, as I remember Obraztsova appeared as Juliet in the Lavrovsky's version.

• Like 2

Also, in Cardiff, Andrei Merkuriev made his debut as Romeo with the Mariinsky under Vaziev. Novikova danced Kitri and Anton Lukovkin (more recently of ENB) was Sancho Panza. The Millenium Centre was not full for any of the performances then. But this was in the early naughties and I think that they have been back there since with a more modern rep.?

However, in 2001 (?) in Edinburgh, the Mariinsky's La Bayadere played to packed houses, if my memory serves me correctly. We had Lopatkina and Zakharova as Nikiya!

Of course, 'back in the day', the fame of many Russian dancers preceded their live performances on video. Now there is so much more choice in the cinema, on DVD/BluRay, on TV, and online that we are better able to make our own comparisons.

• Like 3

On 18/08/2019 at 14:46, ninamargaret said:

I only saw Spartacus, and hadn't seen the Bolshoi live for many years, so will not comment on the current quality of the company in comparison to other years. But I do wonder if, given the current excellence of the RB we are slightly more critical than we were? Also, the Bolshoi style, with its high extensions, high leaps and,reliance on technical excellence may be less to our taste than it was?

Yes I agree with this.  I really enjoyed seeing the Bolshoi dance, as always, but this time there just wasn't the wow factor that I've had on previous occasions.  I think that by and large, other companies have caught up technically over the past 10-20 years.  When I was young, no other company could match the Bolshoi for sheer technique and exuberance:  no-one could jump as high or turn so fast. Now, it's not that they aren't as good, they just aren't alone in being that good. 

I didn't much like their DonQ.  Having just seen quite a few of the RB's Acosta version, I really do prefer it (and I was one of the few people who liked it a lot first time around!).  I think it makes much more narrative sense, and I think the relationships between the characters are much better and more clearly drawn.  I also like the fact that Dulcinea is present in the overture;  we can immediately understand that the Don is off  to find his dream woman, and in so doing adventures ensue.  The sequence of events makes more sense to me.

I hope that next time the Bolshoi comes to London (and may it be in the not-too-distant future) that they bring a more interesting rep.  I would love love love to see Bright Stream again, and their Taming of the Shrew.  I would be very interested to see Nureyev, even if it is as bad as some people say;  at least it's something new and different!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Yes I agree with this.  I really enjoyed seeing the Bolshoi dance, as always, but this time there just wasn't the wow factor that I've had on previous occasions.  I think that by and large, other companies have caught up technically over the past 10-20 years.  When I was young, no other company could match the Bolshoi for sheer technique and exuberance:  no-one could jump as high or turn so fast. Now, it's not that they aren't as good, they just aren't alone in being that good. 

I didn't much like their DonQ.  Having just seen quite a few of the RB's Acosta version, I really do prefer it (and I was one of the few people who liked it a lot first time around!).  I think it makes much more narrative sense, and I think the relationships between the characters are much better and more clearly drawn.  I also like the fact the Dulcinea is present in the overture;  we can immediately understand that the Don is off  to find his dream woman, and in so doing adventures ensue.  The sequence of events makes more sense to me.

I hope that next time the Bolshoi comes to London (and may it be in the not-too-distant future) that they bring a more interesting rep.  I would love love love to see Bright Stream again, and their Taming of the Shrew.  I would be very interested to see Nureyev, even if it is as bad as some people say;  at least it's something new and different!

I agree with much of what you say, Sim - and think too that today companies - including (or perhaps most especially) major ones -  are much more homogeneous than they used to be.  There are far fewer clear defining elements -  concrete and unique demarcations - especially when so many are now sharing styles and techniques which seem to mesh much more generally than once they seemed to do.  That's just my observation.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Sim said:

Nureyev is actually pretty bad, I’m glad they haven’t brought it to London. There are other productions in the Bolshoi to choose from including the recent Winter Tale or Alexey Ratmansky’s Romeo & Juliet, for example. Or even The Nutcracker. It would be odd to show it in the middle of summer but it is just so good it’s a pity the Bolshoi never takes on tour

4 hours ago, Buru said:

Nureyev is actually pretty bad, I’m glad they haven’t brought it to London. There are other productions in the Bolshoi to choose from including the recent Winter Tale or Alexey Ratmansky’s Romeo & Juliet, for example. Or even The Nutcracker. It would be odd to show it in the middle of summer but it is just so good it’s a pity the Bolshoi never takes on tour

Is it still the Grigorovich version? I must say, of all the versions of the Nutcracker I've seen, that is the one I rated lowest! (I like Grigorovich's own ballets more than most, but I'm not keen on his versions of the Tchaikovsky Big Three.)

It just goes to show, you'll never reach a consensus about the Nutcracker!

Edited by alison
To reduce font size
  • Like 1

Thank you Jan. Lizbie1, yes, it’s still the Grigorovich’s version. I’ve never been a huge fan of the Nutcracker but I think the Bolshoi’s version is very special and IMHO shows the best of Bolshoi’s talents. It’s also very different from the ROH’s version, so it could be interesting for London’s audience. 

• Like 2

I enjoyed the performances I saw very much but my goodness the ticket prices! It’s always a pleasure to see live performances and the orchestra was great.

I would love to see any of/all of The pharaoh’s daughter, coppelia, Giselle, Raymonda, Paquita, la bayadere, Corsaire. 

On 18/08/2019 at 22:33, Amelia said:

When Mariinsky was at the Lowry, Vaziev let one corps de ballet member made her debut in the role of Odette-Odile - her name was Victoria Tereshkina.

In Cardiff, as I remember Obraztsova appeared as Juliet in the Lavrovsky's version.

Is Obratzova still dancing?

2 hours ago, Darlex said:

Is Obratzova still dancing?

Eugenia Obraztsova continues dancing with the Bolshoi. In 2019, she had two new roles: Hermione in “The Winter’s Tale” and Amoureux in "Gaîté Parisienne" by Béjart.
She also recently played the leading role in the new feature film “THE FRENCHMAN”: https://kinotavr.ru/en/films/701

3 hours ago, Amelia said:

Eugenia Obraztsova continues dancing with the Bolshoi. In 2019, she had two new roles: Hermione in “The Winter’s Tale” and Amoureux in "Gaîté Parisienne" by Béjart.
She also recently played the leading role in the new feature film “THE FRENCHMAN”: https://kinotavr.ru/en/films/701

For what it's worth, I saw her about five years ago at a benefit in Paris for earthquake relief in Japan. The evening was running late and folks were worried about catching the remaining metro (underground). She came on last at lit up the auditorium like a midnight sun. Another time, as I once mentioned here, she performed Swan Lake with the Royal Ballet in London and I waited at the stage door (I've only done that several times) to congratulate her on one of the best performances that I've ever seen.

She was in the full-length documentary “Ballerina,” directed by Bertrand Normand, also featuring Svetlana Zakharova, Alina Somova and Ulyana Lopatkina. This still might be viewable on Vimeo.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

I saw her when she came over to guest with the RB, Buddy , and I truly lament the fact that she hasn’t been back since. As you say, she is one of those rare performers who immediately light up the stage.

Did motherhood have something to do with the reduction in her guesting appearances? I could, however,  be totally wrong there. 

• Like 1

Her Juliet at the RB two or three years ago was stunning.  She blew me away with her interpretation, which was different from any I had seen before.  I am getting goosebumps just thinking about it now. 

18 hours ago, Amelia said:

Just sad we didn't get to see her in London.