Room 101

taxi4ballet

Floss I so agree with your post 1550!

I know the cost of the NHS has soared and so is difficult to keep free at source and am not sure what the solution is but we do,need to make up our minds in this country whether we really want it or not but we will definitely have to be prepared to pay more for it as a whole if it's not to become some sort of two tiered system with those able to afford some fees going ahead of non payers even if they may not have more medical need.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quintus knee may not be too bad if you can walk upstairs on it!!

Keep massaging it and telling it how much you love it really .....eg ....you won't really put them in room 101 .....just joking....and may recover in a few days.

When it really goes it's hard to put any weight on it at all!!

• Like 1

Just to say that with the push in the name of ever greater efficiency to do more and more with fewer and fewer staff the staff who you think of merely ticking boxes may not actually have time to read the case notes. Sorry but good staff are really feeling the strain.They have to find places for those suffering from dementia  when in fact such places don't exist in anything like sufficient numbers because they have not not been funded by central government.

Sadly, a friend who works in the NHS mental health services can only confirm this.

• Like 1

Quintus knee may not be too bad if you can walk upstairs on it!!

Keep massaging it and telling it how much you love it really .....eg ....you won't really put them in room 101 .....just joking....and may recover in a few days.

When it really goes it's hard to put any weight on it at all!!

I can tell it's a few days off exercise rather than a surgery job, as I've had one of those - a bad cartilage tear from a spinning kick just days before the karate black belt grading I'd been training 6 months for..   My knees at least just seem inconsistent - I can work them hard with no problem one day then pull something getting out of a chair the next..

Yes I know the score! I've had to nurse a knee injury for 9 months in the past but at the moment it's still fine touch wood.

It took me a long time to risk taking the knee support off in dance classes I was so afraid of it going again!!

I massage them with this glucosamine and devils claw concoction and still do now if get any weird twinges.

If only 20 and 30 year olds knew how lucky they were not to have to worry too much about their knees!!

• Like 1

Brangelina is over. Who would have thought it. According to the news, Madame Tussaud has already sprung into action and the waxy models are now placed 6 feet apart to reflect the new reality.

They need not have bothered as from what I could see, while the waxy Brad might pass muster, Angelina could be anybody.

Well she's not bad but not my kind of beauty

I'd most like to look like Audrey Hepburn but maybe this is for another thread!!

They had disagreements about how to bring up the children apparently( well who doesn't!!)

My guess is Brad is hands off and Angelina is hands on!!

Agree about Audrey Hepburn but personally I don't think there has been a full on screen goddess for decades now.  I tended to like the cool blondes, Kelly and Bergman for example, but Rita Hayworth, a dancer, was my personal favourite.  She was naturally black-haired but after she dyed it red it became her trade mark. 

• Like 1

I agree,when you think of the big screen names of the past, there is no one like that now that I can think of. There is no air of mystery anymore either, which was part of the allure. Now it is all out there for public consumption, whether we want it or not.

As for the waxworks,some could easily be substituted for the real thing and there would be no difference in terms of acting ability. The waxwork would probably be better.

• Like 9

If I were on Mumsnet, I'd probably create a serious stink about this, but I'm not, so I'll have to be satisfied with dumping Kellogg's Cornflakes in Room 101.  I don't know if you've tried buying any in the last week or so, but the 500 g box has been shrunk to 450 g, I think it is, yet the 750 g one has gone up to 790 g.  Fair enough, you might say, but the price has been increased by 25%!!!  You do the maths.

• Like 2

If I were on Mumsnet, I'd probably create a serious stink about this, but I'm not, so I'll have to be satisfied with dumping Kellogg's Cornflakes in Room 101.  I don't know if you've tried buying any in the last week or so, but the 500 g box has been shrunk to 450 g, I think it is, yet the 750 g one has gone up to 790 g.  Fair enough, you might say, but the price has been increased by 25%!!!  You do the maths.

I hate the large Kellogg's Corn Flakes boxes and refuse to buy them. They don't fit into my kitchen cupboard and I will not have them just standing on the side looking untidy.

• Like 1

If I were on Mumsnet, I'd probably create a serious stink about this, but I'm not, so I'll have to be satisfied with dumping Kellogg's Cornflakes in Room 101. I don't know if you've tried buying any in the last week or so, but the 500 g box has been shrunk to 450 g, I think it is, yet the 750 g one has gone up to 790 g. Fair enough, you might say, but the price has been increased by 25%!!! You do the maths.

Has the price of the smaller box increased too? There was an item on the radio news a few days ago that I half caught as was just arriving at work. Something along the lines of manufacturers are reducing the size of food items but keeping prices static as consumers would rather pay the same for less than an increased price for the original size.

I remember something like this a few years back as well, when we were told food prices were going up for whatever reason, alleged shortages of something or costs outside the control of supermarkets? Tell us another one.

Price hikes were out of all proportion but packet sizes stayed the same or got smaller, particularly biscuits and cereal. The attempt to distract the consumer from this con was the marketing ploy of bringing back some of the old,familiar or forgotten products as if to offer us comfort from olden days such as sweeties we used to get in the seventies and some other stuff that went out of fashion for good reasons but is now known as nostalgia.

My neighbour is at the diy again. He appears to be fixing up their bathroom, despite his wife telling him he is too old -he is nearly 80 - and to get someone in who at least knows what they're doing. Bath etc is now in the garden and he has set up some sort of work surface using two wooden saw horses of different heights and a bit of chipboard on top. On this he has a tile cutter and he has had a busy morning converting whole tiles into a pile of broken ones and swearing. I am just waiting for the sound of screams when he takes his hand off.

At least he is not making this racket on a Sunday morning which is his usual trick. I don't think he does it on purpose,he is just oblivious. Or is it a bit old fashioned to try and consider the neighbours before you start drilling these days? Nobody seems to care anymore.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 1

I am putting in here, the 12 year old boy that threatened my 13 year old that he would 'slit his throat and shoot him in the head with his gun' at school yesterday. It then turned out the boy actually had a BB gun and pellets in his school bag when the teacher searched it! The school called the police and my son had to give a statement to them....the mind boggles.

• Like 1

He was shocked when he found out the boy actually had a gun in his bag. He seems remarkably calm at the moment, the policeman was brilliant and the school are taking the matter seriously, we need to see what happens going forward as the boy has been excluded for one day, then sanctions will be put in place for him. These lads do not know each other at all. My son went to help the other lad up when he got knocked over by my sons mate! (By accident I should add!)

Edited by Harwel
  • Like 1

And where are the parents in all this?

Do they know their son is taking a gun to school? Do they care? Are they afraid to put their foot down? Would it be a complete and unpleasant surprise for them to know he had the gun at school?

heaven forbid the UK starts getting like the U.S. In this respect.

• Like 5

Why oh why don't ballet companies issue their upcoming tour dates around the same time.

I've just had my Friends' newsletter from BRB that contains details of next year's midscale tour.  I am already committed to NB's Casanova for most of the dates!!!!!  Grrrrr........   If I had known the dates earlier I could have adjusted my NB dates to suit!

• Like 3

The Phrase "Sorry to interrupt your lunch, but........"  These people are not sorry, they don't actually care if they are interrupting your lunch.  They don't offer to come back when you are not eating.  It drives me crackers.  

I never take a lunch hour, just 15 minutes to eat a sandwich and look through the forum, which is why I eat at my desk (access to pc), but I would like to eat uninterrupted just once.  

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more, Huddsballetmum. I have taken to pretending to be on hold whilst making a call on my mobile when I know that one particular offender is still in the office. I can then shrug my shoulders and roll my eyes whilst gesturing at the phone with the hand holding the fork/sandwich...;)

• Like 3