Room 101

taxi4ballet

I couldn't agree more Melody.  I tried to edit a single line on an entry this week and gave up after about 45 minutes.

I have edited occasionally but not for some time.  I am sure it used to be much more straight forward.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to put my next-door neighbour into Room 101 today, along with her little doggies :wacko: The dogs bark rather a lot, especially if they are in their garden and we are outside in ours - think constant yapping and throwing themselves against the fence every time they hear the slightest thing, like pegging your washing on the line, for instance.

The other day, about an hour after I had shouted "SHUT UP" at them for the umpteenth time, they were yapping yet again (which she was ignoring yet again) and I heard her talking to them in that sing-song voice more commonly used when talking to toddlers.

She said: "I think we're going to have to get Taxi some ear plugs aren't we?"

:o

That sounds annoying Taxi- my next door neighbour has a small dog which yaps constantly; yesterday I was revising in the garden, but couldn't focus because of "YapYapYapYapYap" from over the fence..... It was early afternoon so I assumed the neighbour wouldn't be at home; I couldn't resist yelling "Shut up, Peppa!" to the dog as I had heard her owner frequently do..... Only for the owner to then yell an apology back over the fence to me, which was slightly awkward! (The dog continued yapping.)

• Like 1

Just a thought; you can buy a thing (sorry that's as clear as mud- I'll try to find out for you what the "thing" is called!) that emits a very high pitched sound, which humans can't hear but dogs dislike- so the dogs will hear it & want to stay in the house, or at least sit quietly outside, but your neighbour won't realise because she won't hear the sound :D (that might be a bit sly though....)

• Like 3

I've mentioned the barking/howling/yapping on a number of occasions over the years, usually in polite company at one of their New Year's Eve parties or some other minor social gathering, and it's always been... well, not brushed aside exactly, but made a little joke of. Along with comments that seeing my cat through the window makes them bark etc. Well, not any more, she's been dead a year.

My neighbour is just totally incapable of training them and they run rings round her. I think she's become desensitised to the racket they make, and doesn't notice any more. I'm not spending any money buying a gadget though, but I might just print off a 'how to stop your dog from barking' instruction page off the internet and stick it through her letterbox.

Funny thing is, I have another thread running at the moment about people conspiratorially whispering at work and that is equally annoying ;)

We have a dog living next door to us, I rarely hear him bark.  I think he's a very tolerant chap as our cat sits on the fence and taunts him.  We're in his special "club" - he has this habit of grinning at people which looks quite alarming only does it to his family and us - I feel quite privileged and extremely lucky that he is so well behaved.  I would be incapable of living next to yappy dogs

• Like 2

Actually, adding to the list: the designers of toilet-seat fixings.  They are such a horrendous design, especially when you're trying to work in the sort of confined space that most toilets are located in.  Those threaded rods that you screw into the receptacles barely screw in at all, and I swear they get unscrewed again when you're putting the wingnuts on :(

(Yes, 3 attempts in the last 24 hours, in case you hadn't guessed)

Bringing this one up again because I went to the loo in the middle of the night and immediately felt the seat shift and then there was the metallic crash as the spindle fell to the floor again.  I can assure you that mending loo seats at 3 am is *not* conducive to a good night's sleep thereafter because you're then too wide awake to drop off again.

• Like 1

Victoria coach station, what a dump. Coach got in yesterday about 10.30am, I followed the signs round to the ticketing area where I could top up my oyster card, only to find myself at the back of a queue of about 70 people and only two desks open out of about 12, I didn't count them! On a Saturday morning in London! There didn't appear to be any self service machines and nobody to ask. 

I didn't have time to mess about so I walked all the way back to the information desk where luckily, the guy knew there was a shop in The Colonnade shopping parade across the road, where I could top up. As I was waiting to cross the road, about three Number 11 buses passed me by and I thought why on earth can you not just get on a bus and buy a ticket anymore? 

Anyway, I found the shop where there was a very helpful woman behind the counter and no queue, topped up my card and walked to the nearest bus stop. I will remember that in future and it may help anyone who travels in that way. The shop is called Bradfords and it is a sort of gift/food/general shop.

London was also looking particularly filthy yesterday. There was litter all the way along Park Lane and all over in general. The place looked really shabby, don't they bother with the flower beds anymore. This is a capital city for crying out loud. Some places the coach goes through, you just look out the window in horror. I was talking to my Swedish friend about this and remembering how clean and well cared for Stockholm was when I went there. She said even that has its moments as does any city, but why is London and so much of England so dirty?

• Like 2

Well the dog over the back of us [not THAT neighbour,next door to him] have a yappy thing.  You have to walk past their garden to go through the passage to the main road. Yaps every time anyone passes. To make matters worse he jumps upon the wall while he`s barking at you. He is head height on this wall,barking away,and I have to say it isn`t the most pleasant experience having a dog barking ferociously at you that is almost in your face. Never had the heart to say anything to the couple who live there. Nobody else seemed to mind [or so I thought] so I thought i`d just put up with it. Anyway,about two years ago I mentioned the yappy dog to my next door neighbour. She sighed and said she was thoroughly fed up of it. This next door neighbour`s son was my landlord,until my house was reposessed after he spent my rent ,not on paying the mortgage but on his own lifestyle. I slagged him off,understandably,to anyone who would listen as I felt very aggrieved at having to put up with hoardes full of people traipsing through my home every day for a month deciding if they wanted to buy the house,and therefore deciding if they wanted to keep me on as a tenant. Anyway,I think word got back to her next door that I had been slagging off her son. She hasn`t spoken to me for over a year,and surprise,surprise,around the same time she got herself,yes you guessed it, a small yappy dog.So now there is one at the back of us and one next door.Maybe she was hoping I would move out. I`m going nowhere.!

The reason London buses don't take cash any more is to prevent the drivers being attacked.

London's population has officially increased by 2.5m in the past few years, all those people create a lot of rubbish and at the same time public services have been cut back for political reasons, so fewer street cleaners.

So if buses are cash free, what do foreign tourists do? I've never had to use a bus when I've visited, until this last time, and my Underground card apparently covered the bus fare, but I was just wondering about paying for a bus ride in some other part of the country.

Edited by Melody

These days it may be more to do with the high charges banks impose on cash handling when paying the money in. They would also need fewer staff in their finance offices to count the stuff, and have to worry less about their own security measures.

Melody, as a tourist you can buy a regular Oyster Card when you are in London and top it up with as much as you like. No need to buy the Visitor's card. You can return the card when you leave and get the deposit and what's left on it back. Or you keep it for your next visit.

Well, that's fine, as long as your credit-card provider has condescended to make it contactless.  I'm still waiting ...

And still waiting.  My new credit card arrived today - and still is not Contactless :(

I would find that an almost impossible feat Porthesia!  Happened to me at Dunelm a while ago when my Mum was still alive.  She could get in her side and was starting to get very anxious.  Dunelm broadcast a message for me but the blummin' driver didn't turn up for nearly half an hour and then told me I should have parked better!!  Cheeky madame!

• Like 1

It also happened to me in Staples when I had a different car which was harder to climb over.  I went into the store to ask them to broadcast a message and the assistant was reluctant to do this as she said people get stroppy so I asked her to pull my car forward for me ( she was skinny) and she very kindly did this for me.