Carlos Acosta named as new Artistic Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

That has a worrying ring of Open-Up speak about it

I see it more as just stating the obvious; after all, what new Director could  declare "I want to demolish this Company's classical traditions, limit its repertoire and restrict the audience to a certain type of person"?

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I see it more as just stating the obvious; after all, what new Director could  declare "I want to demolish this Company's classical traditions, limit its repertoire and restrict the audience to a certain type of person"?

I will be very interested to see if he keeps the Royal Ballet Sinfonia at its current size and level.  If he decides to shrink it I think that will be a great loss to ballet in general.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

I will be very interested to see if he keeps the Royal Ballet Sinfonia at its current size and level.  If he decides to shrink it I think that will be a great loss to ballet in general.

That call may not be one for Acosta to make.

• Like 1

I have just read the New York Times piece in Dance Links  -interesting in itself that this paper gave the appointment fairly lengthy coverage. Their report is based on several telephone conversations rather than the press release that most of the media have gone with. If you haven't read it,  it's worth doing so as it sheds a little more light on his potential plans. Interesting snippets are his casual dismissal of likely cuts to funding and not ruling out performing in more contemporary roles  ( surely a money spinner!).

Sorry, I love Carlos, but this appointment of a famous name seems geared to generating as much publicity for BRB as possible. I know there were far more qualified applicants but sadly nowhere near as well known. He’s probably only second to Darcey in terms of being a household name and international star....

32 minutes ago, tabitha said:

Sorry, I love Carlos, but this appointment of a famous name seems geared to generating as much publicity for BRB as possible. I know there were far more qualified applicants but sadly nowhere near as well known. He’s probably only second to Darcey in terms of being a household name and international star....

How do you know who the other applicants were?

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

In case anyone's still up in the London area, there's a 2-page-spread interview with Carlos in tonight's Evening Standard.  The Standard website in my experience has been quite difficult to search recently, so you might want to get a hard copy.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, capybara said:

Another 'all time low' for ES reporting. Apparently Acosta is about to do "a stint" at BRB. The opportunity to make something of that important appointment should have been seized by him, if not by the ill-informed reporter.

Yes - it did rather make it sound as being director of BRB will be just one amongst his many activities. I hope that's not indicative of the amount of time he will be able to devote to it (especially since he now lives in Somerset, which is quite a long way from Birmingham).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Easy trip. I regularly travel along the Cross Country trains Routes from Bristol to Plymouth and to Birmingham and Manchester(Salford for Janet McNulty) to see BRB

That's not what I call an 'easy' trip if it's to be done (presumably) on a moreorless daily basis when the company's not on the road. David Bintley clearly found it necessary/desirable to live in Birmingham.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

We can see at this moment that the activities of Carlos Acosta's company are in full development, we hear more and more about it, they have wonderful dancers, new choreographies, many tours and performances.

I cannot imagine Acosta completely turning away from this group as from January 2020 to deal exclusively with BRB.

Is it really possible to run two companies simultaneously ?

Will he really devote himself 100% to BRB, I wonder....

I hope this will be the case but I am skeptical.

Edited by MAX
  • Like 1

Acosta Danza is touring the UK in Spring 2020 too.

BRB's Swan Lake is touring in the Spring so I would imagine he will be relying heavily on the ballet staff during this period as he will not be that familiar with the production.

My guess is that he will fully take the reins up in time for his Don Q, although he was already (as I understand it) going to Birmingham whenever he could even before the Spring/Summer season ended - he was seen in the audience at (at least) one performance of Hobson's Choice.

I do hope that he is fully committed to BRB.

• Like 3

I’m trying to recall if their were similar doubts when Nureyev took on Paris Opera Ballet. Was this at a time when he was also touring Nureyev and Friends and seemed to have endless performing commitments. This might not be a worthy comparison, but I’d be interested to know what others who are more knowledgeable might know or recall about the timing of his appointment in Paris.
I am still optimistic that this is a good appointment both for BRB and Carlos Acosta.

• Like 1