Carlos Acosta named as new Artistic Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.  I will watch with interest, and hope that he makes a great success of his tenure. 

And yes, please leave out the choreography, Carlos (although I do seem to be one of the few people who actually likes his DonQ!). 

Let's also hope that having been at the RB for so many years, he understands the importance of advance casting.....

Congratulations and best of luck, Carlos!! 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Sim said:

Wow.  I will watch with interest, and hope that he makes a great success of his tenure. 

And yes, please leave out the choreography, Carlos (although I do seem to be one of the few people who actually likes his DonQ1!). 

Ha ! exactly my thoughts :) 

• Like 1

The news today from BRB of the appointment of Carlos Acosta is sensational, heart-warming, a terrific relief and a vote for the future of the Company. Who knows ? Perhaps national newspaper dance critics might be persuaded to travel beyond the M25 again to give the Company the attention it needs and deserves.

• Like 17

1 minute ago, Sim said:

And yes, please leave out the choreography, Carlos (although I do seem to be one of the few people who actually likes his DonQ!). 

I rather enjoy his DonQ - despite DQ not being one of my faves of the old 'warhorse' type ballets

Hope he does a great job at BRB - they do have some lovely dancers there. Be interesting to see what he does with the rep (both what he keeps, and what he brings in)

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

All best wishes to him .... just hope he lays off his own choreography as it really is - IMHO - not his strong suit.

Glad I am not the only person to think that! Otherwise, excellent news for the company to have an appointee with a wide range of experience and a recognizable public profile outside of the ballet world.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Barnes2 said:

The news today from BRB of the appointment of Carlos Acosta is sensational, heart-warming, a terrific relief and a vote for the future of the Company. Who knows ? Perhaps national newspaper dance critics might be persuaded to travel beyond the M25 again to give the Company the attention it needs and deserves.

this is exactly what I thought when I heard the news.  I am sure he will be a total inspiration to the dancers and it will strengthen the belief that the Company has a more secure future than some of us feared.  this is on the level of Simon Rattle taking over the CBSO. 

what a great result for BRB.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kate_N said:

Lucky BRB and lucky ballet-goers in the MIdlands.

Well, let's see what the rep. is first, shall we? I actually rather liked his Carmen, with one cast in particular.

Agree wholeheartedly about Acosta's appointment being good news, though. Your advocacy clearly worked, Janet 😉

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

I would imagine it will be at least a year before we see the "Carlos effect".  As the Birmingham season tickets will probably be going on sale in the next couple of months I am sure that the 2019/20 rep has long been decided.

I thinking it will be a good move for BRB unless a disastrous rep is imposed.  Carlos Acosta has a huge following outside ballet so that could help draw new audiences in.

• Like 12

I certainly wasn’t expecting that but huge congratulations to Carlos Acosta and I hope he will respect the heritage repertoire as well as bringing in new work. It will also strengthen the ties with Elmhurst Ballet School as he is also a Patron of the school.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

All best wishes to him .... just hope he lays off his own choreography as it really is - IMHO - not his strong suit.  Guess this will put some of his Cuban plans into the long(er) grass. 

As long as there is strictly no Acosta choreography,  this could be good.  I hope they put a clause in the contract.

• Like 8

I see there's no indication of what - if anything - is to happen with the work he was doing in Cuba.  As Bintley managed to split his time between BRB and Japan, I had been wondering whether Acosta would carry on with Acosta Danza if he was appointed.

I’ve just heard the news and It has made my day! A bold, exciting step and one that I think will work. He has the charisma and  personality required to appeal to the people of the West Midlands at a tricky time, when the funding for a classical ballet company is under close scrutiny. Yes, of course we are all concerned about the heritage of this company, but here is someone who has a  pretty strong knowledge  and understanding of this. I really do think it is an inspired choice.

• Like 10

30 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

I am so happy to read this news. Congratulations, Carlos!

That said, I am sighing with relief that Iain Webb will remain in Sarasota. (Yippee, Skippy! Sorry!)

I agree.  Iain and Maggie are building a real bastion for the Ashton rep and long may it continue.

• Like 3

I say this as a huge Acosta fan and love the idea of his being back in the UK and working with a ballet company, but is this really such a great idea?  He will surely be tempted into choreography which is definitely NOT his forte.  I worry about what he is actually going to do and would hate him to fail.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

I say this as a huge Acosta fan and love the idea of his being back in the UK and working with a ballet company, but is this really such a great idea?  He will surely be tempted into choreography which is definitely NOT his forte.  I worry about what he is actually going to do and would hate him to fail.  

I hope he will be persuaded that the AD job is just that and not a choreographers job too.  He has got a fantastic team behind him at BRB and with the David Bintley Fund having just been established hopefully DB will also still be around in an advisory capacity.

From the amount of publicity his appointment has already achieved it's fantastic that the company profile must surely be raised even higher.

• Like 9

There's a more extensive interview with Carlos in the NY Times (see Today's Links), but here in a nutshell is what he had to say about how he will approach the role:

"My ambition is to build on its classical traditions, expand its repertoire, and to reach out to new and more diverse audiences.  I want to define what it is being a world-leading classical ballet company in the 21st century."

• Like 2

I agree that his choreography is a possible issue, but he will have far bigger issues and challenges. I’m glad he’s name checked Ashton and MacMillan, and he’s right to look at those choreographers which are new and homegrown talent too. Good to see the pointer to women in dance. If he gets all of this done, then why not let him try a crowd pleaser one-act work (heavens that’s come over very patronising- sorry!)  which he can do well ...I didn’t like his Carmen although Tierney Heap was amazing in the role and almost saved it, but it just wasn’t right for the RB nor Covent Garden. But I think he learnt a lot from the experience.

Edited by Vanartus
Sp
  • Like 3

I actually want him be an artistic leader with a vision of where he wants to take BRB over the next 5 - 10 years (good start made with his statement) and, just as importantly, a good manager of people, one who really nurtures his dancers (a more difficult aspect of a Director's role). If he has time to fit in a bit of choreography as well, then so be it; but he should 'get his feet under the table' for a bit before he diverts himself from his main role.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Sim said:

There's a more extensive interview with Carlos in the NY Times (see Today's Links), but here in a nutshell is what he had to say about how he will approach the role:

"My ambition is to build on its classical traditions, expand its repertoire, and to reach out to new and more diverse audiences.  I want to define what it is being a world-leading classical ballet company in the 21st century."

That has a worrying ring of Open-Up speak about it.

• Like 2